News

Etcetera Says Pres. Buhari Has Failed to Keep His Promises

BellaNaija.com

etcetera-ejikeme

Social commentator, Etcetera, is back again with more viewpoints about the state of Nigeria. And this time, he has chosen President Buhari as his subject matter to deliver viewpoints on.

Etcetera believes that Buhari has failed to keep his promises. Read his article below, as published by Punch:

“I believe if Nigeria does not kill corruption; corruption will kill Nigeria. I pledge to publicly declare my assets and liabilities and encourage my political appointees to also publicly declare their assets and liabilities.” – President Buhari (during his campaign)

Now, the presidency through the presidential spokesman has said the promise of asset declaration wasn’t made by Buhari but his political party. Jeez! These people just think say we be mumu sha… dem think say everybody for naija dey suffer from dyslexia. Shebi na dem preach say Buhari na modest man with just two houses and 150 cattle? They also said Buhari and Osinbajo have declared their assets, and it is deposited with the code of conduct bureau and the only thing needed is just verification by the bureau? How many months does the Code of Conduct Bureau need to verify an asset of two houses and 150 cattle? Nawa ooo!!! Naija una don see una sef? Is this the “change?”

President Buhari’s achievements as a former military Head of State may be many. But he has utterly failed to keep a simple promise core to the rationale for his election into office. And as the campaign promises recede into memory, it is equally clear that this administration may never provide the needed reforms that will address the most worrisome flaws in our democratic system. I have met a lot of Buhari supporters who are finally coming to the realisation that they may have made a very bad decision in the last Presidential election. So many of them no longer seem to know why they believed that a retired military general would perform any better than the career politicians they mistrust.

President Buhari’s bygone promises to run “the most transparent administration in the history of this country” have become a subject of mockery, given how he has failed in a simple task of appointing ministers.

When critics like me attacked his go-slow government, the administration defended itself by claiming the president was only taking his time.

But the problem with this administration is not only about being too slow but it has also left untouched the corrupt individuals, which means that we would continue to live under a government with significant transparency problems, a culture of lobbying that is often tantamount to sanctioned corruption, and an executive branch of government that preaches a change that no one gets to see.

Is it unrealistic to expect ambitious systemic reforms in Nigeria? Yet it remains the case that many people voted for Buhari precisely because he promised to attempt them.

I believe president Buhari can solve a lot of things … but won’t. Whatever he once was or wasn’t, we should accept that Buhari is now a creature of the political establishment. He is captive to its loyalties and prejudices, and committed to safeguarding its interests. I am not arguing that he hasn’t or won’t accomplish anything, but there are whole categories of problems that he won’t try to fix.

“Change” is a mirage sold to us by Buhari and his political party to get our votes. And that’s a shame. Nigerians are unlikely to support a politician making similar promises in the future because Buhari has made them impossible to believe.

Those sending messages to me at [email protected] asking me to write on how Buhari’s administration has improved electricity supply in the country should ask themselves how long president Buhari has been in office to put in place the machinery for such a turnaround. Abi rain nor dey fall for una area? Let us wait till the dams are dried up before singing halleluyah.

1. AaaFeeCee

August 22, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Etcetera APC winches will crawl on you nowoooo.
    No body dare criticise there god booohari
    Charles and other mastubators will descend on you!

2. nene+

August 22, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Etcetera don’t worry Code of Conduct Bureau are dazed by the properties of Mr snow white!

All the I have two buildings where for elections.
    Now who owns the one in UK? Time shall tell!

3. or

August 22, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Buhari has completely failed in that aspect!
    I just see buhari as too dodgy and deceptive.
    His minions don’t see that.

We must see it whether he likes it or not and he must show us his wife’s.

APC deceits

4. Lol

August 22, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Nah wah oh… Oluwa is involved.

5. Missy J

August 22, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Buhari actually goofed in that [email protected] blah blah. It was so unnecessary. You already began the process to declare your access why not let the case die jejely? Why release that statement? His media team should watch it, you don’t reply to everything.
    Other than that Mr President has been doing well. I haven’t met any Buharian who voted or supported PMB during the campaign regret over the decision they made but I have seen many PDP-supporters testify that so far Buhari has been on track.

6. observer

August 22, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Suddenly the music has stopped. Immediately we achieved a peaceful transition from the last administration our heroine has suddenly gone quiet or is it me, have we found the girls or am I missing something?

• fleur

August 23, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Let’s call it what it is – Madam Ezekwesili, we cannot stop looking for the girls. We need you to resume your campaign. If you are very busy providing consultancy services for Buhari, abeg appoint someone to continue. WE do not want to believe the campaign for those girls was political. God will not allow that.

7. leftbrained

August 23, 2015 at 1:21 am

BUHARI QUOTES

I will personally lead the frontline against. Bokoharam and the rescuing the Chibok girls.
    What is really painful to me that several of those are not daughters of one miniaters, governors, perm sec or something. I am sure they will have figure out waya to get their their daughters back. The anguish, sense of hopelessness and suffering the parents of the chibok girls are going through and the torture of the fact that they will never see their daughters again. I weep epecially for the mothers who had imagine a great future for her daughter since conception, the trimester, weaning, breastfeesing and all of a sudden got missing without a trace.
    As an a south western adage says * omo eni ku, o san ju omo eni rin lo* (A dead child is much able to bear the loss than the one that got missing). PMB really let me down in that regard.

8. ElessarisEllendil

August 23, 2015 at 1:22 am

Obama promised to close down Guantanamo and reduce spying on American citizens, its just funny when adults aren’t cynical about politicians. Personally, I don’t care about his possessions, I can’t even get annoyed yet, when the blackouts return maybe, but not as long as the power supply stays excellent.

• Bruno teacher fearce

August 23, 2015 at 7:56 am

You don’t care even if he sleeps with your mother!
      @ellesaris all your cares are gone with GEJ!
      How will the world know your hypocrisy status if you don’t say things like this? Even if he appoints his entire kinsmen, even thou he doesnt declare his assets you don’t care! But know that NOT ALL NIGERIAN are under a spell as you are!

• Sisiet

August 23, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Don’t mind this pretentious 40+ year old who says she is 21. BN commenters, very gullible. EllesarisEllenda does not care if Buhari lied. So, to what standards do we hold our leaders? Even the apostle of change. EllesarisEllenda, you see ur life?

• Ebere

August 23, 2015 at 4:12 pm

There’s really no need to be insultive here @Bruno, u can still make ur point without stupidly badmouthing her especially getting her mother involved…

• fleur

August 23, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Do you think Buhari turned on the power? Think about what it takes to get power running in Nigeria and then respond.

9. Teezy

August 23, 2015 at 2:32 am

who is dis Etcetera sef? Stop complaining and start praying for Nigeria everyone. God is the only miracle worker!

• James UDOH (007)

August 31, 2015 at 7:14 pm

How long will we continue to pray when it is given unto us to take charge of our destiny. The truth as said is that [buhari] has consistently continued to lie to the epic fools called – APC supporters and fans. Very soon – they would start crying when they won’t be able to afford basic things of life – like food!!

10. Me

August 23, 2015 at 3:15 am

My best from Etcetera so far!! Esp the part of the light. I hv been telling pple to simply wait till the rain stops. The dam will overflow during raining season thus power generation has to increase. A part of me is hoping Buhari doesnt put to shame those who were guillible enough to vote for him and the other part of me wants him to mess up!!!

• ElessarisEllendil

August 23, 2015 at 5:01 am

*Sigh* Do you know the problem with your assertion???

we generate the majority of our power from fossil fuels, not hydroelectric, welcome to 2015. Low oil/gas prices have more to do with the improved power supply than rain which has 1 been erratic, 2 been short and 3 been late. That and the vandals Bros Jona could not handle seem to have been dealt with.

As one of those who was “gullible” enough to vote for Buhari, I do not understand how the rest of you fail to see that Jonathan was the devil!, a majority of Nigerians chose the Red sea, not because one was better but that atleast in the Sea you can swim.

• nene+

August 23, 2015 at 2:22 pm

@ elessaris lai mohammed is more truthful than you are!
      The power you are talking about was done by GEJ, since 2014 the power improved, it got a lot better during the rains as always!
      Tell me any good economic policies originated by your master? All you have chosen to do is take glory of what Jonathan did that your brains can’t even comprehend hence your macabre dance on BN!

Keep disgracing your self, the whole world knows your lhoord buhari has not bought a cup of engine oil. Its takes a Ph.D holder to unbundle and revitalise power sector. Illiterate and gworo chewing lots of you are bewildered as as a result you have resorted to glory stealing! Keep stealing power performance and refinery performance. Strangers shall reap all that liers have laboured for.

May that be the portion of liers today and always.

• D

August 23, 2015 at 2:55 pm

@elessarisellendithanks dear enough said.dem go soon understand.

• warizdiz

August 23, 2015 at 8:51 pm

I gave up on Ellasaris a long time ago. He/She is pretentious and is such a liar.

• Pretty girl

August 23, 2015 at 1:40 pm

My dear he has started to mess up big time I don’t knw the one that he is doing there probing all of Jonathan government like say na wetin they send am go do be that but at least he should try and do other things instead of wasting time on this

11. Psalm

August 23, 2015 at 10:02 am

I never expected most of the promises to be kept because I knew they were lies from when they were made. I’m just surprised that some people are surprised. But it’s good that Etcetra reminded Femi that some people are not that forgetful.
    However, it appears the President’s priorities so far are NNPC and publicity, especially publicity. Maybe because he knew from the outset that he wasn’t so blessed with the gift of the gab, hence the need for many spokesmen. Or because he ran on the platform of a political party that places heavy reliance on propaganda. He commenced the appointments of media aides before he was sworn in. Now there’s an assistant on media, an adviser on media, an adviser/assistant on new media, a ‘volunteer’ group on social media, and probably others I’m not aware of.
    Amidst all these appointments there’s no attorney general; there’s no legal adviser, no adviser on the economy. Remember: the President won the election in March; since the 30th day of March 2015.
    It’s great to have a grand plan that would unfold with time but some decisions should not wait for too long to be made. They touch on non-negotiable national priorities.
    I believe all the mess in INEC would have been avoided if there was an attorney-general that the President listened to. And now he has appointed a new boss for AMCON, stating(through his media aide) that the appointment took effect immediately. But the law requires that the appointment be confirmed by the Senate before it comes into effect.
    But again, I’m not surprised. The President has a solid background in military dictatorship where laws are suspended and the head of government takes actions arbitrarily.

• fleur

August 23, 2015 at 7:43 pm

You dey talk legal adviser when we no even get complete economic advisory team amidst a turbulent world economy.

12. GEJ is a great man!

August 23, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Thank you Ectercera! I have say it many time that Buhari is a mistake. He have already fail. Look at full scarcity everywhere, economy is bad, food prize have increased, no contract because no minister appointment.
    When GEJ is president we did not get all this problem. He use his PHD brain to make Nigeria better. Now this old baba go slow without WAEC is destroy what Jonathan build.

• mrs chidukane

August 23, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Lmao! I guess GEJ’S education and literacy drive (if there was any) didn’t get to your area. I fail to see the premise for this article. I personally don’t care for declaration of assets because it can always be doctored. Orji Uzor Kanu declared his assets and they were worth up to trillions of naira. This gives room for looting and looting. Even if Buhari declares his, who will verify? And who will verify that the assets remain unchanged when he lives? Our journalists that are now glorified bloggers?

That statement that it was the party that said and not him is very foolish. However, I still wonder how GEJ became everyone’s favorite person.

13. Gbemi

August 23, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Now am starting to think that Nigerians have a whole lot to benefit if and when Buhari fails …. ( I pray he succeeds) because why would people keep hoping for the day things would turn worse .. Waiting for us to stop enjoying the constant light supply .. And excetera or whatever your name is … Can you name one useful thing you have contributed to make this country better , even if it’s just on your street … You are just a failure looking for dumbs like you to add to your club ….

14. Cici

August 23, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Etcetera, please just shut up! Ok, just shut it. Nonesense, anyone these days that have a cheap phone and random internet connection can just go online to make stupid noise to seek attention and expect to be heard. I don’t blame BellaNaija that’s giving you audience. This administration and presidency has only been in office for 4 months for goodness sake! What? Is Buhari a magician that you expect him to change what took 8 years to mess up, or even approximately 50 years since Nigeria’s independence to mess up, in only four months. Please go grab a seat and stop seeking attention. Noisemaker, mtchewww!

15. Dele

August 23, 2015 at 2:16 pm

In as much as I was not in support of GMB or GEJ, I must say this article is a disappointment to progress.
    A house is cracked and broken in parts and you want to rebuild it so fast forgetting that the foundation needs to be re-evaluated before the building process can commence.
    This article seems to me like it is from the opposition and not from a realist.
    I say again it is DISAPPOINTING that you want results so quick after the damage done is of great magnitude.
    This is the first time I would make a comment on any blog and I must say with all due respect Mr Etcetera, this article is an embarrasment in my opinion. Open up your mind and be positive,
    For those castigating this administration, I can understand how you feel but ROME was not built overnight. Nigeria will be great again if we all play our parts and stop pointing accusing fingers especially to those who are actually working.
    I rest my peace but I am DISAPPOINTED in this article and the write.
    God Bless Nigeria and Everywhere else.

• nnenne

August 24, 2015 at 4:13 am

@ Dele… Gentlemen should keep their promises because it is a mark of integrity and credibility.
      Simple!

• magician

August 24, 2015 at 7:11 am

@nnenne, in less than 6months? If you were the one, would it take you 2months? Integrity and credibility is not/was never confined to a specific time. Also Integrity and credibility was not really found in the last administration’s dictionary. Humour me pls.

• dele lies

August 24, 2015 at 9:57 am

Dele all these are lies please stop lying “don’t support both parties” Na BIG FAT LIE.

Elders shouldn’t lie please!

16. halia

August 23, 2015 at 2:44 pm

@ the author- He’s barely been in office and you expect a 360 degree change?! After Jonathan’s rule? In a country like Naija? Well aren’t realistic. ….SMH . Change and its longevity will happen in Naija when it’s a collective effort. One man cannot do it all . #nothingisaninstantfix

• Okechukwu Ofili

August 23, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Declaration of public assets that you promised and the obvious shitty state of Nigeria are 2 mutually exclusive events. I am tired of Nigerians blaming every Buhari issue on how bad GEJ was. Declare your assets. The END.

17. jasmine

August 23, 2015 at 2:46 pm

I’ll make a dollar = 1 naira.
    I’ll make a litre of fuel 40naira
    I’ll feed children in government schools once daily(they said it in Lekki o instead of mushin or orile)
    I’ll stop BH(abeg dem still dey bomb)?
    I’ll bring back the girls(madam Oby, how far na, u no cry again and hold vigil?)
    Well, wat do I know? Just stating some of their promises

18. happygogirl!

August 23, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Get out of here with your uncooked English! PHD brain indeed.

19. kikiki

August 23, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Ellesaris! Ellesaris!! the aristo!!!

Why do you people waste time with a retired aristo like ellesaris?

Abeg carry her mata shift make we hear better pikins.

20. fleur

August 23, 2015 at 9:03 pm

My dear Nigerians, democracy demands that there be constant questioning of those who bear the stick of power because they serve the people. I find that in Nigeria, we are not people that like to be confronted with our weaknesses. We also do not tolerate questions. But this is healthy. The reason we are where we are is because we accept all manner of behavior from persons in leadership behavior and their actions re-define our norms to our detriment as a result. Buhari did promise to share info about his assets. He has not. For all of us, even the richest amongst us can tell the worth of our assets. Why is it taking so long? If they have hired a valuation company to assist, why not let us know? If they dont intend to release it, let us know. In fact, at this rate, it is helpful to just offer a response to Nigerians that is not of the kind “we are thinking about it.” Tell Nigerians the exact status of the issue and leave no grey areas – “yes, it will be released but this is the current delay,” or “No, we changed our minds and it will not be released.” That is all. Nigerians have been deceived from a very long time. They will not die if there is one more deception they have to deal with. I think in the backs of their minds, they did not believe 100% that this was going to happen. In the US, Donald Trump of all people is making history because he does not seem to have a maybe or perhaps coming out of his mouth. If he has something to say, he will say it even when it is inappropriate. In other words, he is not wearing an artificial filter. Just tell Nigerians that I thought I would want to declare my assets but I have second thoughts so I wont do it and I thought my wife would not have a position but we now think that was naive in retrospect and she will be first lady. That is all.

21. Root

August 23, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I can see some people shitting through their mouths and about to have apoplexy all because of buhari. Well you have 3yrs and some months more to go, So please knock yourselves out. It’s obvious that the dysfunctional state that the country has been since His knows when has become the norm for some people and So they are fighting tooth and nail to retain status quo. Instead of giving constructive criticism, they are busy insulting and cursing. Well dey dia while the rest of the country moves on.

• kikiki

August 23, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Root what are you doing here? Omo ala Agbo! Hope your mum is doing ok?

But I think you are high on root! Please drink palm oil and cool off!

• nene+

August 24, 2015 at 12:03 am

@Root your vulgarity tho.
      However I think you should be the one worried about running out of lies to tell in the next 3 1/2 years!

22. naveah

August 24, 2015 at 4:58 pm

So Buhari is a magician now, abi? The man ought to fix in 5 months what has been a problem in Nigeria since its inception? Why can’t patience be exercised? Look at all the stubborn goats he’s got to deal with that are opposed to change because they benefit from the dysfunction in Nigeria. Please, the man is not perfect but let’s give him a chance to prove that he’s not the Buhari of old but a man who is democratically minded with a vision to improve the conditions of the country for the betterment of ALL of it’s citizenry.

Some of these people complaining can’t even manage their own household, they are all back seat drivers without an understanding of running a kiosk not to speak of an entire country filled with “leaders” whose sole goal in life is to LOOT the coffers. The man might have all of the best intentions in the world but he’s got to have leaders who share the same vision and I doubt that he’s got that to work with at all.