News

Best-selling Author Jackie Collins has Died

BellaNaija.com

Jackie Collins BookChances are, you have read a Jackie Collins novel in your lifetime. Sadly, the woman behind the interesting books has passed away.

Best-selling author Jackie Collins died today age 77 from breast cancer. It has been revealed that Jackie kept her cancer diagnosis a secret from most people outside her immediate family until her last days. She gave a exclusive interview to People Magazine just days before her death and happily proclaimed –

“Looking back, I’m not sorry about anything I did, I did it my way, as Frank Sinatra would say. I’ve written five books since the diagnosis, I’ve lived my life, I’ve travelled all over the world, I have not turned down book tours and no one has ever known until now when I feel as though I should come out with it, Now I want to save other people’s lives.”

Classic Jackie Collins novel

Classic Jackie Collins novel

A statement released by her family reads;

“It is with tremendous sadness that we announce the death of our beautiful, dynamic and one of a kind mother, Jackie Collins, who died of breast cancer today, She lived a wonderfully full life and was adored by her family, friends and the millions of readers who she has been entertaining for over 4 decades. She was a true inspiration, a trail blazer for women in fiction and a creative force. She will live on through her characters but we already miss her beyond words.”

Jackie survived by her 3 daughters.

1. fleur

September 20, 2015 at 3:11 am

Wow! What an enigma. She was a mistress of the pen indeed! What an icon. What a loss to the world of leisure reading.

2. Iris

September 20, 2015 at 3:25 am

I remember her Santangello series from when I was a child. I used to sneak ‘Lucky’ out of my mum’s room and read it.

3. Nik

September 20, 2015 at 3:40 am

WOW. I remember Hollywood husbands, Hollywood wives and other good books from her. Rest in peace Jackie.

4. BlueEyed

September 20, 2015 at 5:48 am

So sad. My best friend was her number 1 fan and we got signed books and personal messages from her. Been following her for the past ten years and she was such a gem. This is truly sad. RIP Jackie Collins

5. www.thelmathinks.com

September 20, 2015 at 6:19 am

She indeed lived a wonderfully full life. Is there a novel this woman wrote that I haven’t read, and enjoyed? She had the ability to draw you in and make you feel like you’re right there on hollywood boulevard with the characters. Rest in peace…

6. Idomagirl

September 20, 2015 at 7:02 am

Jackie Collins! :'( 🙁 🙁

She gave us a glimpse into the crazy world of the rich and famous. Chai

7. Tosin

September 20, 2015 at 7:10 am

The statement from her family shines with class and charm and candor.

I don’t know if I’ve read her but I will try one or two. Surprisingly lovely books in her genre.

8. mabel

September 20, 2015 at 7:37 am

Jackie Collins, Jackie Collins of the world. My sweet, very raw Jackie. Your books thought me a lot. RIP sweet mama. I pray your twin cope with this.

• Anon

September 20, 2015 at 11:03 am

Twin?

9. mabel

September 20, 2015 at 7:37 am

‘taught’

10. Gistyinka Blog

September 20, 2015 at 8:02 am

RIP to her.

11. Mena

September 20, 2015 at 8:38 am

she was my favourite author. i loved reading her books. she was such a terrific writer. May she rest in peace.

12. Anon

September 20, 2015 at 9:51 am

Watched her on The One Show just last week. Sad! She looked in rude health. She kept her illness hidden for six years.

Thanks J.C for being a part of my childhood/youth with your books. Art imitating life. Sleep well.

13. Demilade

September 20, 2015 at 10:07 am

Wow this is so sad. I remember reading my mum’s copies of Hollywood Kids and Lethal Seduction. May her soul rest in peace,xx

14. hassan mohd

September 20, 2015 at 10:36 am

rip to her

15. Sad

September 20, 2015 at 10:54 am

Wow!! I loved her, I remember my older sister gave me the ass whooping of my life when she caught me reading one of her books as a child. I toured Hollywood and Beverly Hills just last month, was so excited to see all the places I read about in her books. RIP Jackie Collins you will be greatly missed.

16. concerned

September 20, 2015 at 11:22 am

Awww, I grew up on Jackie Collins. So many fun memories of me stealing my mom’s salacious Jackie Collins books and taking them to school, hehe! I couldn’t put “Lucky” down. God bless you dear and grant you eternal rest. Thanks for the amazing memories. Salute to a life well lived.

17. mrs chidukane

September 20, 2015 at 11:36 am

RIP Jackie, I so loved your books. The Hollywood series were so good. You will be missed.

18. Nife

September 20, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I follow her on twitter and u wouldn’t even have guessed she has been battling with Cancer. So strong a woman. Love all her books I have been privileged to read. What a loss!! But am glad she had such a full life. Rip Jackie

19. hauwa

September 20, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Oh my Jackie Collins! I loved u since I touched ur first novel and I have since read every single one of them. Hunted them down in Secondhand bookstands at Yaba, ojuelegba, tinubu square until I cld afford to buy brand new paperbacks. RIP JACKIE! Am a huge fan.

20. Miss Anonymous

September 20, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I enjoyed her books and movie adaptations….Changes, Married Lovers etc
    Rest in peace.

21. Ada Nnewi

September 20, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Oh my!!! R.I.P Jackie Collins…I was completely enamoured with lucky santiagelo and Hollywood wives was so awesome! Her novels were so awesome…

22. zeezee

September 20, 2015 at 4:09 pm

She is one of my favourite authors……..she will be missed. RIP

23. Mrs Oluwole

September 20, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Adieu Jackie, the woman that taught us about love, mafia, Hollywood world, the “effices” and countless other things. I still have all her books! May your soul rest in peace. The Don herself!

24. mabel

September 20, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Yes @ Anon. She has a twin who looks exactly like her. Identical. I got to know this year too on E I think. I was shocked.

25. mabel

September 20, 2015 at 5:27 pm

O sorry her elder. Apparently they called each other twins cos they looked so much alike though Jackie looked prettier. Now I know Joan is older. My mistake.

• Anon

September 20, 2015 at 10:25 pm

I guess you never watched Dynasty. You just found out about Joan?

26. renzy

September 20, 2015 at 7:31 pm

My darling JACKIE COLLINS ,your books gave me so much joy, I systematically bought and read all your novels. I have read Lucky like a 100 times. Thank you for sharing your gift.You are a rare gem. R.I.P.

27. deedee

September 20, 2015 at 8:54 pm

RIP,my best author, your books are simply the best especially the Lucky Santangelo series,….rest in peace dear one!!!

28. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

September 21, 2015 at 9:42 am

Some of the random thoughts that crossed my mind over the weekend were:

“Would Lucky Santagelo have been tried for murder if she had killed the man she had she intended to kill but who was dead already?”

“Don’t mess with a Santegelo kept running through her mind.” A family name. Are there still people with that much preserve for their names?.

The second batch of thoughts came this morning. It was the one where Lucky attended a birthday party, (Gino’s?) wearing a white pant suit. She had worn the jacket over her bare boobies and she Jackie wrote that they still looked firm and young after having children. C’est possible?

I confess I read the books wayyyy back, but like I said, random thoughts; not even knowing the author was dead.

Lemme go call Olive so we can cry together.

29. mabel

September 21, 2015 at 10:55 am

@ Anon. Yes. Never knew her before now.