Style

BN Beauty: A Blow Out…Without Heat? Yes Please! Watch Naturally Temi’s Hair Vlog

Naturally Temi Natural Hair - BellaNaija - September 2015001There are many things I love about the natural hair community. Apart from their drive to object the world’s standard of beauty, they are a real community that shares with and cares for its members.

Speaking of sharing, BN Beauty has a natural hair tutorial that is sure to help you out with your next blow out. Nigerian natural hair & beauty vlogger, Temitope Ogundeji a.k.a Naturally Temi is a member of the #TeamNatural hair community with a full 4c mane, and loves to share tips and tricks for taking care of and styling your hair.

Today, she is sharing how to achieve a blow out on your hair without heat. The key is to do it when you already have a stretched out hairstyle, which will make blowing out very easy.
Naturally Temi Natural Hair - BellaNaija - September 2015

So, how does she do this? Temi simply uses a teasing brush and works it through her hair from the tips/ends to the roots. As you gradually do this, your hair will stretch out and become fuller and less tangled.

Watch!

Photo Credit: @NaturallyTemi (Instagram)

1. Jane

September 17, 2015 at 7:50 am

It looks great on her! Hair inspiration! For me o,my hair would not survive all the brushing lol I’ll stick to my braid out..*runsaway*

• Damilola

September 19, 2015 at 4:34 pm

African women are way too lazy and insecure about their own features. If you want to take care of natural hair, you will. Just say, you prefer the Indian, brazillian weave bcos apparently it makes you look less Africanish. I look at my grandmother and mom’s pics back it the day. Their hair was popping, it was long, and full. They didn’t have all this access, and they worked with what they have.

• Jane

September 25, 2015 at 4:32 pm

It’s funny how you assume that I don’t have natural hair and I must be ‘insecure’ with my features. On the contrary,I am very proud of my natural kinky hair. I am not relaxed. I dont hide it under weaves. I said I prefer ‘braid out’ (which is a natural hair style if you don’t know) bcuz this style takes too much brushing for my kinky hair. Comprehension is key.

2. dee

September 17, 2015 at 8:10 am

This is giving me inspiration! for a 4c to be this soft and fluffy, I want.

3. sum1special

September 17, 2015 at 8:36 am

So envious of her hair right now.

• Bella

September 17, 2015 at 10:30 am

me too Omo.

• tilda

September 18, 2015 at 9:04 am

Huh hum gurl, Me three!!!

4. Puzzles

September 17, 2015 at 9:16 am

I love her natural hair. I’ve made up my mind. Giving my natural hair a trial of six months starting today.

Not going to be easy as everyone around me doesn’t think our natural hair is cool and keeps saying maintaining natural hair is expensive. And honestly, i’m terrified of losing my natural relaxed hair, the length of which i’m proud of.

But recently, an Indian, amazed at seeing every lady she came across in Nigeria on weaves and braids (including me) told me quite frankly ‘i think you all don’t just want to learn how to take care of your natural hair’. All that talk about how our natural hair is tough, breaks combs and not easy to manage like her hair, which i said to her sounded in my ear as a weak, silly excuse.

I guess i’ll transition to see how it is before making the decision to chop off the relaxed hair.

Perhaps creating a blog about my progress would help inspire me as it did the formerly obese lady who told her story on BN on how she lost her weight. Can’t remember her name, but her story is really inspiring.

• Tiki

September 17, 2015 at 9:28 am

You won’t get the full benefit if you wait to ‘see how it is’ before taking the plunge.

My advice? Chop it off. Buy two good wigs (or three, braids, straight and curly), cut it low and then enjoy it at every stage as it grows. First, you will discover how interesting your hair is. Second, keeping relaxed hair while growing natural hair weakens the hair follicle and damages your hair even more.

I’ve been natural for over 2 years now, and I’m thinking of cutting it off and starting again just because. Go on, take the plunge. You will be ok, after all you are not your hair.

• Beeeee

September 17, 2015 at 9:49 am

You better not cut that hair o…lol

• Nne

September 17, 2015 at 10:30 am

Hmmm Tiki I beg to differ, had short hair growing up and looked like a boy for most of my teenage years. I came to learn my “ogo” is my least favourite body part so I am, definitely, my hair ?

• Natu

September 17, 2015 at 9:47 am

The Indian lady is right. African women do not want to learn how to take care of their hair.

• Beeeee

September 17, 2015 at 9:49 am

Good Luck, I stopped relaxing my hair for seven months before chopping the relaxed ends off. By then, my natural hair was long enough to braid. So i braided it after the big chop and spent the next couple of months doing two strand twists.(YouTube will be your best friend). This was two year ago. Today, my hair is touching my shoulders.

• BlizJoan

September 17, 2015 at 10:02 am

If your heart is in it, you can achieve and do anything. I had to cut my hair after my Dad’s Burial (March 2013 Bless his soul!!! :-‘( ) . I never made my hair or carried my natural because it was short and i looked different.. I was not comfortable with my new look. I wore wig till November 2013 when i made my first braids (twist) . It wasn’t easy , it was very difficult cos i didn’t know how to manage my hair. It breaks a lot, when i want to comb Gosh!!!, it was very painful . Later i went to a Natural Hair Salon in Surulere, and i told them that i want my hair to be soft and if i don’t achieve this in 2 months , i will have to “relax “my hair. They streamed and wash my hair and bought some natural hair products – Cantu leave in conditioner, Coconut Oil, Wild Hair Growth simulator &Castor Oil. . Also i joined many natural hair channels on BBM and that was the best decision and i never regretted it . I learned how to do so many things on my own. I dont go to salon anymore cos the DIY tutorials are the bomb!!!! I make my own deep conditioner, coconut oil, and make my hair, I learn how to make crochet braids with the videos i downloaded. Now m loving my hair. its soft , it doesn’t break like it use to because i follow the rules of how to maintain and grow your natural hair. I think you should Join Natural Hair Channels on BBM. you will learn a lot!!!

One more thing you don’t have to cut your hair immediately after 6 months, you can cut it when you are comfortable with the length that you want. Enjoy your hair journey!!

• jenni

September 17, 2015 at 1:25 pm

thanks alot bliz, your suggestion has helped and gingered moi. will def continue with my Natural hair journey.

• Zeeebby

September 17, 2015 at 10:05 am

Hey @puzzles, you will be fine. I was a HELL NO I AIN”T GOING NATURAL kinda girl, but unlike you my natural relaxed hair was a huuuuge mess…I was gluing on weaves to my scalp, edges and so on. Feb 2012 I was going from a weave to a braid and I didnt relax my hair and by the time i took the braid off I wanted a bohemian weave so I decided to leave my hair unrelaxed so the leave out will blend in well with the weave. when i took the weave out, i realised my natural hair was looking healthier so i decided to continue natural. I big chopped a year after and I have been full natural ever since. my hair is soooooo much better now, its fuller, i have passed the length I was at before the process started, it doesn’t break any more…soooo GIVE IT A GO AND ENJOY THE JOURNEY. DNT OVER THINK IT ….JUST EMBRACE IT

• Esther

September 17, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Puzzles is better you transistion first that means leave your hair for some months without using relaxer maybe 6 months but if you go ahead like I did without waiting for the natural hair to start growing to meet the relaxed.It might take time cos you are just cutting y our hair not knowing what part is relaxed or natural.So just have patience and research well.But please don’t cut so early

5. Omo

September 17, 2015 at 9:44 am

Her hair is gorgeous!! Did the big chop 10yrs ago and I have never looked back! Relaxers were so damaging on my hair. Had fabulous locs but I recently chopped them off this year. Been on weaves and braids and wigs. Still maintaining my natural hair.
    But to each his own, I admire women with healthy relaxed hair – healthy being the operative word!
    I see women with unkempt natural hair all to feel trendy and I cringe!
    I see women with chop chop hair so they cover it with weaves and wigs n I think great!
    So don’t judge, natural hair is not for everyone. Please ladies just take care of your hair underneath the braids, wigs or weaves.- relaxed or natural

6. Sholly B

September 17, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Hi Blizjoan, please I need pointers to the natural hair salon in Surulere and tne BBM channels. Help a sister please. Thanks

• IMA

September 17, 2015 at 3:02 pm

its @Masha busstop i think the name is Tumise not quite sure.

7. Tee&Fii

September 17, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Go for it Puzzle, you will be glad you did. Be patient, take your time and enjoy the process as you go along. Youtube is really your friend. You can really learn a lot of natural hair routines,styles and much more whilst making the transition.
    A huge shout out to all the natural hair bloggers and vloggers, you ladies truly ROCK.
    With Love Tee&Fii.xoxo

8. Ebiblogs

September 17, 2015 at 7:47 pm

I don’t understand. She just showed us how she brushes her hair from root to tips. And see her face as she was brushing, like she was undergoing torture. If you like don’t go and retorch the hair.

ebiblogs.wordpress.com

9. Mabel

September 17, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Her crown is glorious. She is so gorgeous too, there is something about natural hair that brings out the beauty in many black woman. I can’t put my finger on why they look prettier.