Relationships

Glory Edozien Talks about How She Dealt with Depression on her VLog – Discovery | Watch

BellaNaija.com

Glory VlogThis week on Glory Edozien’s VLog – Discovery, she shares her inspiring story of overcoming depression and how she did it.

She explains that:

I have agonized about releasing this particular VLog because it takes me back to a really dark place in my life. But I realize that one of the aims of this VLog is sincerity.

A lot of people look at me today and think ‘ohhhh….Glory is such a bubbly person’…they wouldn’t believe that almost 8 years ago now, I actually was on the verge of ending my life. But that’s the thing about depression, it doesn’t come with a badge. One of the reasons why I am sharing this video is because I know there are many people going through the same emotions I went through on that day and hope by sharing my own experience, they too can feel a little empowered to seek the help they need.

1: Talk to somebody
2: Confront some of the situations overwhelming you
3: Be introspective
4: Focus on things that make you happy

If you are or know someone who maybe experiencing some of the symptoms (or related symptoms) described in this video please contact Dr. Gbonju Abiri, a senior resident at the Yaba Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Lagos, Nigeria, on +234 8033623415

1. Donald Sense - Tech Blog

September 15, 2015 at 2:47 pm

hmmmm … somedays are like that

2. Bb

September 15, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Glory your videos are very good, i love them but pleaseee put a stop to the background music. It’s sooo annoying especially when you have earphones on. Please!

3. Segi

September 15, 2015 at 4:15 pm

I have been there, the whole Zanax, Zoloft, couch sessions route. The irony, every one sees me as one strong diva. Beautiful and successful, but life dealt me a whole new reality by peeling off my sheltered outlook. My advise, whenever you catch yourself using family phrases like ‘I need to shut down’ or go on a ‘long sleep’, please seek help. Never be afraid to take on medication, one day I hope to share my story. I’m on the recovery road and laying a brick ahead – one day at a time!

4. blessiNg

September 15, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Gloria I can really imagine wat u went tru those periods of depression!!! Depression takes ur mind away from the things you ve achieved and focused on people better off you buh in the real fact those people are noting like u.we just see their physical luks.

5. Jenniferogoo

September 15, 2015 at 5:08 pm

thanks for the tips bae. i really need them now

6. chiemeka ugo

September 15, 2015 at 5:42 pm

watching this video just felt like you were talking about me right now

7. Jane

September 15, 2015 at 5:56 pm

“You look soulless!” That’s deep. Depression has been a part of my life for several years. I’m truly happy only about 2 months of a year…for the last 20 years.

I saw a psychiatrist at Yaba this year…helped a little…

nigerwifediary.blogspot.com

8. Ndidi

September 15, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I just think you are so awesome Glory. I always look forward to your vlogs because you speak from your heart. Thank you for sharing your story and your tips. Thank you for being brave enough to boldly discuss such a sensitive topic. May God continue to bless all your endeavors and exceed your biggest dreams

9. Awoyo

September 15, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Keep up the lovely work Gloria. You are gorgeous (inside and out)

10. CamerGem

September 15, 2015 at 11:06 pm

I love me some Glory.
    Always on point.

11. Glory my girl

September 16, 2015 at 1:42 am

Keeping it real that’s why I love Glory. Some useful advice even for those who are not depressed! In dealing with every day life we need positivity around us

12. jennietobbie

September 16, 2015 at 3:37 am

Glory, you already know how I feel about you.:)

13. Mma- Survivor

September 16, 2015 at 11:59 am

Wow. Depression is a killer. A bad spirit from hell. My own contribution from experience;
    1. When you don’t care that much about looking sharp – watch it, that;s how it starts.
    2. You start to loose interest in everything including receiving love from people – you get suspicious of everything – watch it.
    3. You no longer care about your waistline – when food now tastes better than how you feel about your looks – Ha, get your friends and scream for help – if your friends are fake, flee to church!
    4. You start to enjoy your own company a bit too much. Ha – get out, do something.
    5. When you binge eat(Bulimia) or eat too little ( Anorexia – I have been on both extremes! – Seek help. Speak to someone, your mum, aunty, anyone you can trust!
    6. Look at your eyes in the mirror, is it popping/glowy, or do they look sad, take some selfies, magnify them on your PC, TV screen, etc. – do something, hang out, pray, sing, be happy! Don’t go looking for just anything that will make you happy, there are short term happiness that makes the depression worse – like going back to an ex you know is not that into you and hitting the sack. Trust me – its worse. OR hanging out with fake friends who will make you hate yourself even more cos you look like their mum from being so sad and bloated all over.

So how did I get out, personally, its a testimony. After applying all of the above (cos I reacted terribly to medication, it is not for everyone. btw I felt my head increasing in size – that was some crazy stuff!!! I threw them away) I turned to God in prayer and worship and He helped me deal with some issues like anger, fear, inferiority/superiority complex and guilt. I didn’t realise I had joy blockers in my heart from people hurting me so bad – I took them all to heart without realising. This is for someone and for those who believe, allow Jesus into your heart, He will show you the glory blockers that invite depression and he will free you. I’m all glowy now, looking 10years younger and toning up. My mind got fixed so my focus, goals, physical appearance and relationship got a boost. Thank you Jesus!
    Jesus rocks!
    Mma
    In turning to God I attended Dunamis International Gospel Centre, Area 1, Abuja.
    Tuesday Healing and Deliverance service. God has been faithful.
    dunamisgospel.org.
    You can hook up online if you don’t live in the FCT.
    This is for someone!

• Liz

September 16, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Awesome points. Do you have a blog. I will sure love to follow you