Scoop

Idris Elba Responds to James Bond Author’s ‘Too Street’ Comments in the BEST Way!

Idris Elba - Vogue America - December 2013 - BellaNaijaIdris Elba has responded to the comments made by James Bond author Anthony Horowitz about him being “too street” in be cast as the suave spy.

Idris took to his Instagram account to post a positive message after the news went viral.

A photo posted by Idris Elba (@idriselba) on

He posted a photo of the news report and captioned “Always Keep Smiling!! It takes no energy and never hurts! Learned that from the Street!!  #septemberstillloveyou.”

The author Anthony Horowitz sent out an apology statement after his comments went viral. He stated:

“I’m really sorry my comments about Idris Elba have caused offense. That wasn’t my intention. I was asked in my interview if Idris Elba would make a good James Bond. In the article I expressed the opinion that to my mind Adrian Lester would be a better choice, but I’m a writer, not a casting director, so what do I know? Clumsily, I chose the word ‘street’ as Elba’s gritty portrayal of DCI John Luther was in my mind, but I admit it was a poor choice of word. I am mortified to have caused offense.”

Anthony wrote the message on his Twitter account.

1. dazzle

September 3, 2015 at 9:44 am

lovely STREET responce

2. A Real Nigerian

September 3, 2015 at 10:09 am

How is this response the best response?
    And how did the word “street” even manage to cause this much trouble anyway? Urgh
    This new supersensitive PC generation where every little thing is given the racist tag is just stupid.

• defcli

September 3, 2015 at 11:22 am

Sorry, but what part of the world do you live in? I’d love to know. Cos it’s only folks back home that never notice the “R” in “Racism”…….. and it makes sense why that should happen.

• Sandra

September 3, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Oh please, stop with the racist talk! Adrian Lester is also black if you must know!

P.S: I live in NY if that’s your next question

• Seriously

September 3, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Black people are downplaying the word racism and pulling the race card irrationally. Honestly, it shouldn’t have been blown out of proportion. Let James Bond be the typical white dude, and if they want to switch it up, it can be another black actor but not Idris. A black actor playing James Bond should have that soft suave, smooth, not as rough as Idris. Idris is a manly man, roughly handsome but I love it. However, we are talking about a character play here. Will smith will even fit that role than Idris or Denzel.

You see how we always say, whites shouldn’t play certain black roles.

• hmmm

September 3, 2015 at 3:31 pm

My dear if u haven’t lived and worked abroad either in UK or US u might not understand because u are faced with racism often even when people see it they play a blind eye. I just ignore. As a Naija u ignore it and remain focused. I used to wonder why some black Americans take everything to be racist but imagine raised in a country where u have to endure racist jabs growing up even been layed off or denied a job because of your race or racist comments at your job. Some of them are so hurt and so insecure and put up a front but they have to learn to build themselves and self esteem. I am glad i was raised in naija. Some black American don’t like African because they don’t understand how some of us are go getters, how we don’t give up and remain focused and rise above them. A black American once told me its because foreigners are favoured that’s why we are able to get jobs and achieve certain things smh.

• hmmm

September 3, 2015 at 3:35 pm

But as for the “street” word only him truely knows what was in his mind when he said it.

3. bruno

September 3, 2015 at 10:20 am

dear idris elba, u playing the james bond character wouldn’t fit u, PERIOD. go and sleep.

trust black people to always play the victim card.
    james bond is originally white and british making him a black man or an asian man or a latino man will be so silly and out of place.

maybe tyler perry should make a black version of james bond and cast u in it. LOL
    a god fearing James bond who goes to church every Sunday and has a submissive wife who cant do anything without a man by her side. LOL

• defcli

September 3, 2015 at 11:25 am

Bruno, apparently, from your last comments on Idris and this one, it’s clear you’re simply a super idris hater. If e too pain you, go fine like the brother…. make-up dey there. You fit apply the make-up. Maybe e go work. Oloshi.

• Nikki

September 3, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Where did Idris “play the victim?” He barely said anything other than “keep smiling!” If other people of color took offense that doesn’t mean HE is “playing” a “victim.” Someone’s awful touchy, lol. Scared because the world is shifting its interest to people of color, and the “all white everything” of yesteryear is just, well, boring?

4. Psychic

September 3, 2015 at 10:40 am

i love me some idris elba,but i also think e his too street for james bond,whatever that means.

• mrs chidukane

September 3, 2015 at 2:00 pm

I think he’s too street as well and I understand racism, i’m not a coon, neither do I have inferiority complex. I totally get what he’s saying and it’s not about race. He just isn’t a bond. He’s not smooth enough and doesn’t have it, sorry. People want to make everything about race these days. Yes racism is an issue but if as blacks we become too sensitive and other people start excluding us as a result then we haven’t done ourselves any favors. It’s my opinio, feel free to respectfully have yours unless respect is something alien to you.

• mrs chidukane

September 3, 2015 at 2:00 pm

*opinion

• hmmm

September 3, 2015 at 3:57 pm

U made valid points. It can be tiring when people play the race card. Yes racism exists and it can be a sensitive issue. Unfortunately some people are over sensitive and blow it out of proportion

5. Jay

September 3, 2015 at 11:07 am

If you think Idris Elba is too “street” to play James Bond, you’re naive and you’re a sorry case of inferiority complex. If you’ve ever read an earlier James Bond novel, you should understand that his colour was nondescript. If there are black Brits (who have the right to vote), then why can’t one of them who is extremely qualified be a Bond? I’ll add racism and “pull-him-down” syndrome to the list of your issues. Let’s not even mention Americans playing Africans like Mandela or Will Smith playing a Nigerian (with a fake accent) while we sit here and applaud them…ironically. It doesn’t even compare cos Elba is a citizen! This is a shame

• larz

September 3, 2015 at 4:09 pm

So descriptions such as turning red and so on are non-descript abi?
      About Americans playing Africans in a Hollywood movie, common man! What do you expect? Even in Nigerian movies self with foreigners, they mainly have Nollywood actors.
      I dont think it is racist to have an opinion. Whilst I think Idris Elba is ok, I do believe that a few other actors like Adrian Lester and perhaps Will Smith and even David Oyelowo will fit better.

• Jay

September 3, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Black doesn’t mean dark skinned. There are fair skinned people who are “black” so turning red is not the exclusive preserve of “white” people. I’m not saying the author is racist, in all fairness to him, he only chose Adrian Lester over Idris Elba. The real racists here are some black people and the way we’re usually in a hurry to defend “white” people to the death. Having said that, everybody is entitled to an opinion and in mine, Idris is an ACTOR, a good one at that and I believe he can play whatever role is required of him, regardless of his original persona. Elba would be a fine 007

6. Becca

September 3, 2015 at 11:16 am

Bond is a spy and therefore supposed to be able to blend in without drawing undue attention to himself. A black bond will not work for the kinda jobs Bond does, he’ll stick out like a sore thumb. If they have a special edition bond fighting boko haram or Isis then maybe idris could work.

• Jay

September 3, 2015 at 1:05 pm

While you might have a point, there have been excellent black spies who served (and thrived) in conventional situations; they blended in. Spare a moment to read about Wilbur Greene (aka black lion of the CIA). Except you’re saying black people “stick out” wherever they are.

• larz

September 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm

black ppl do attend upper class events too you know. Even in the UK. We are not all Nandos and McDonalds crowd.

• Becca

September 3, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Yea Larz & I’m a standout. But I like it.
      Not handy for overt ops.

7. Ibinabo

September 3, 2015 at 12:52 pm

But seriously, do our opinions count on this matter?!

• YFCS

September 3, 2015 at 1:39 pm

does

• Ibinabo

September 3, 2015 at 3:25 pm

You wish!

• benny

September 3, 2015 at 5:25 pm

FFS “DO”
      Urghhhhhh

• Leila

September 3, 2015 at 6:19 pm

LOL. Una no go kill me for this bn site. Correcting perfect English with very bad English so confidently.
      Hahaha! @YFCS, next time double check your corrections with google. Hahaha!

• me

September 4, 2015 at 9:36 pm

She’s correct. It’s DO, not does. She said opinions – plural. If it were opinion – singular, then it’d have been does.. na wa o! Use dictionary biko, if u can’t Google.

• me

September 4, 2015 at 9:38 pm

I mean, Ibinabo is correct and YFCS is wrong.

8. Cici

September 3, 2015 at 2:46 pm

He is right. There is no racism to it. Idris Elba is too street, period. With all his backward tattoos, piercings and all worth nots. No need to apologize, James Bond is a classy character; Idris will not make a good James Bond, full stop. No apologies.

• jide

September 3, 2015 at 4:17 pm

I mean the guy once dated K Michelle. It doesn’t get “Street-er” than that.

9. tamy

September 3, 2015 at 3:11 pm

@ Bruno hahahahaha I lyk dt last part, @ Becca seconded, in other words he’s ‘too street’,@ Jay we get it,ure against racism,’pull-him/her-down syndrome’ etc fine,try n chill small biko,@ibinabo we r nigerians,’noisemaking’ seems to b part of our traits

10. Prec

September 3, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I saw that excuse about sticking out as a sore thumb on twitter and here it is again. You think that if there’s a spy in the room, the BLACK person in the room will stick out? Haha. we are generally not spies in the real world, how the heck will the black person in the room stick out? We are still as the help, if I was a spy pretending to be a waiter or driver i’ll stand out? Uh ok. And Bond is a Fictional character he is not meant to be any color, thank you.

11. anon

September 3, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Seriously though. I think people are so used to hearing black people crying foul about racism, it is no longer front page news anymore and they don’t feel the need to ACT when a major racist act is committed. Perhaps, if we are less focused on Idris Elba and focus more on the likes of Sandra Bland death, the kids in the boat party and soon. Our voices will be less frequent but listened to more.

I feel like we have a generation of racist-bursters (for lack of better descrip) on social media platform whose jobs are too actively search for a hint/ whiff of racism and cry wolf. Other ethnic minorities are not even backing us as much nowadays.

12. Ememobong

September 3, 2015 at 4:43 pm

If we are talking street then Daniel Craig had no business whatsoever playing James Bond because the dude is rugged to the core but he brought a colourful flavour to the role and made it his own. I dare say casting Idris as Bond will revolutionise the role and give it a very modern day twist. It may even help in enticing a new set of fan base to the franchise.

• Idomagirl

September 3, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Exactly! Daniel Craig is even more street and rugged than Idris.

• Bruness

September 4, 2015 at 7:02 pm

@ ememobong #thnk uuu# Daniel Craig was buffed and too muscular for the role we know to be played by sleek slender and tall men, yet he owned it. I think Idris will make a hotter James Bond than Adrian lester, there’s something almost feminine like about him. He’s okay but i’d prefer Idris anytime any day.

13. Idomagirl

September 3, 2015 at 10:08 pm

I’m actually indifferent to this whole thing.

14. hatersgonhate

September 4, 2015 at 8:19 am

Who gif about bond? I need a remake of shaft.