Events

Ola Ndi Igbo Summit 2015: Photos & Scoop from the Celebration in Enugu

BellaNaija.com

PanelistsOn October 17, 2015, the South Eastern city of Enugu was dazzled with the celebration of the 2nd Ola Ndi Igbo (Jewels of Igbo) Summit, which took place at De Dome Event Place. This year’s theme was “Leveraging the power of entertainment, media, technology and education for changing paradigms and future realities.

Ola Ndi Igbo is a biennial summit organized by a group of volunteers in Nigeria and the Diaspora that promotes values-driven change in Igboland. The first Summit was held in Lagos State in 2013 and inspired a range of initiatives to promote development in Igbo land including the creation of an entrepreneurship and vocational training centre for youth in the Southeast, a soul searching summit titled Olu Ndi Igbo and a business training programme for Igbo traders in markets across Nigeria.

The organizing committee for 2015 was chaired by Nkem Ogbuaku, and supported by Ndidi Nwuneli, Nkiru Okpareke, Ndidi Obioha, Yvonne Mbanefo, Chidi Afulezi, Innocent Chukwuma, Chinyelu Ogene, Nwanneka Okolo, Godwin Nnanna, Emeka Okafor and Chinwe Okoye.

Arrivals

Mrs.Okolo, Mrs. Obiago, Prof. Osili, Dr. Nwandu, Mrs. Nwobodo

Mrs.Okolo, Mrs. Obiago, Prof. Osili, Dr. Nwandu, Mrs. Nwobodo

The Exterior

The Exterior

Ndidi Obioha and friends

Ndidi Obioha and friends

The summit was divided into two sessions: the closed meeting for selected Ola Ndi Igbo which included plenary speeches, breakout sessions, presentations of action plans and the Innovation Marketplace Competition.

The plenary session featured Professor Una Osili who spoke on Global Giving from Diaspora Population and Lessons for Ndi-Igbo, Ichie Nnaeto Orazulike who spoke on Entrepreneurship, Innocent Chukwuma who spoke on Transforming Secondary Education and Skills Development in the South East, Chude Jideonwo who spoke on Leveraging the Media and Changing Mindsets, Chika Chukudubelu who spoke on 5 Lessons from Hollywood, and Oby Ezekwesili who spoke on Changing Paradigms: Practical steps for Ndiigbo and roles of key stakeholders.

The evening event which attracted over 700 guests was a celebration of Igbo culture, music, poetry, dance and recognitions of some of the Ola Ndi Igbo 2015.

Breaking of the Kola

Chigul and Kelechi

Frank Nweke and Oby Ezekwesili

Frank Nweke and Oby Ezekwesili

Ndidi Nwuneli at the Benefits Concert

Ndidi Nwuneli at the Benefits Concert

Ndidi and Bright Chimezie

The leading sponsors for the event were Life Beer produced by Nigerian Breweries, Diamond Bank and MTN.
The winner of the Innovation Marketplace Competition was Obinna J. Ukwuani, the Founder of the Makers Initiative.

Obinna Ukwani Receiving the Innovation Marketplace Prize

Oby Ezekwesili presenting an Award to Nnaeto Orazulike

Oby Ezekwesili presenting an Award to Nnaeto Orazulike

Nkem and Bright Chimezie

Nkem and Bright Chimezie

Una Osili, Ike Ilegbune & Ndidi Nwuneli

Una Osili, Ike Ilegbune & Ndidi Nwuneli

The list of Ola Ndi Igbo who participated and contributed their insights to the summit included the following:

Entertainment & Media: Kelechi Amadi-Obi, Bright Chimezie, Chika Chukudebelu, Brian Ezeike, Ifeoma Fafunwa, Casmir Igbokwe, Chude Jideonwo, Charles Igwe, Mary Ikoku, Nkem Ifejika, Nnenna Kalu-Makanjuola, Adaora Nwandu, HRH Onuora Nwuneli, Paul Nwulu, Sandra Obiago, Chioma Omeruah (Chigul), Jemie Onwuchekwa, Bene Uche and Chioma Ude
Literature, Arts & Music: Kelechi Deca, Kevin Ejiofor, Chuu Krydz Ikwuemesi, Onyekachi Wambu, Enuma Okoro, George Okoro and Michael Ugwu

Technology: Paddy Anigbo, Maduka Emeliefe, Kingsley Eze, Gerald Illukwe, Chinenye Mba-Uzoukwu, Chika Nwobi, Mike Ogbalu, Jerome Okolo, Uche Onwudiwe, Felix Oragwu, Nkemdilim Uwaje-Begho and Elo Umeh

Economic Development: Ifediora Amobi, Chima Ibeneche, Ike Ilegbune, Frank Nneji, Frank Nweke II, Patrick Okigbo, Mark Okoye and Nnaeto Orazulike

Education/Change Agents: Nneka Eze, Oby Ezekwesili, Chika Okafor, Ijeoma Ononogbu, Una Osili and Chioma Ugochukwu

Posthumous Recognitions: Ernest Okonkwo and F.C. Ogbalu

For additional information visit: www.olandiigbo.net | @olandiigbo

1. amy

October 21, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Proudly igbo…

2. nmadeevah

October 21, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Ndi igbo kwenu!!! Very nice concept, I like!

3. Anon

October 21, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Prof. Laz still looks so good. Igwe kwenu.

4. Joan85

October 21, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Such a nice event. P.S.: The girl crush I have on Ndidi Nwuneli ehn, choi! No homo, but that is one smart woman, my mentor in my head lol

• Ada EziOko

October 21, 2015 at 9:37 pm

You can say that Again…Ndidi is amazing! From a proud Ndu Ike Akunuba alumnus. Btw, I see my igwe…Oko kwenu!!!

• mrs chidukane

October 21, 2015 at 9:54 pm

I love her as well. Her grace and carriage blows me away every time.

5. Wale

October 21, 2015 at 10:41 pm

I guess the Yorubas should gather themselves too?

• olah

October 21, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Meaning? Make matured comments plz,u know d politicians hav succeeded in dividing us along tribal lines, u shud b wiser than dis

6. oyin

October 21, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Congratulations to my Igbo brothers and sisters, I’m married to a wonderful Ibo man and I truly love the Igbo culture. This is good for the country and I hope others will celebrate their culture and progress like this

• olah

October 21, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Awww, tanks. We love u 2.n I also love ur name (oyin)

7. igbolove

October 21, 2015 at 10:53 pm

I am not Nigerian but I love me some Igbo’s. So beautiful, I love the people, customs and culture

8. Ini

October 21, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Igbo people are so easy on the eyes sha. No strong strong faces.

9. IGBO AMAKA

October 22, 2015 at 12:44 am

I live for stuff like this!!! UNN representing strongly! Shouts out to The Nwandus, The author of my Humanities textbook Chuu Krydz Ikwuemesi, Chigul, Chude Jideonwo, Mommy Oby, F. Nweke jnr. and Uncle Jerome and his wife (The Okolos). Now, I wish I was in Enugu for this event but it gladdens my heart that things like this exist, culture should be preserved and beautifully as well. My grandmother (Lydia) of blessed memory would be so happy about this.

• IGBO AMAKA

October 22, 2015 at 12:46 am

That decoration is life giving! Enugu!!!

10. nene

October 22, 2015 at 12:57 am

bright chimezie o tego, it has been a long time. igbo kwenu. proud to be igbo.

11. Bisi

October 22, 2015 at 1:49 am

You dey mind them.
    Thank God, their gathering wasn’t done in Lagos but I expect 99% of them to take the nearest exit to Lagos within seconds of what ever they are doing.
    Unserious set of Tribalistic people.
    I before other people.

#lagosnotnomansland#

• Swizzle

October 22, 2015 at 3:26 am

Ike

• nnenne

October 22, 2015 at 5:05 am

Bisi dear, where were you the day Bella Naija published the Edo convention in USA, with governor Oshimole and his wife as guest of honor?
      When African magic announced that they will open Igbo program/ television, everyone was making unfair comments, forgetting that there was Yoruba and Hausa programs already.

As for Lagos, be reminded that the resources used in building it, as our former capital territory, did not come from Yoruba land. Just remember that, as you claim it!!!
      SE makes more oil than Sw.

• i no send

October 22, 2015 at 8:37 am

SS dear not SE there is a difference geographically and culturally

• nnenne

October 22, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Yes, I mean SE, not SS.
      SS makes oil most. But SE makes more oil than SW period!
      Proudly SE, am not claiming SS. Not at all! There’s no reason to!

• Ijeoma

October 22, 2015 at 5:31 am

Bisi, you need help. Your tribal bigotry stinks.

• Chi somebody

October 22, 2015 at 6:14 am

In that ‘your’ Lagos, we still dominate. If you like, you can climb the nearest transformer and stay there. Igbos Rock! Like it or not, we always set the pace. Hard work pays so get your lazy behind up and actually do something!! #igbosalwaysstaywinning #donthatetheplayershatethegame #igbossetthepaceforotherstofollow #hatersgon’hate,potatoesgon’potate

• nene+

October 22, 2015 at 10:20 am

Hahahahahahahahahaha Bisi!!!!!
      You couldn’t even manage to suppress your evil bigotry tots here again???
      We have seen the colorful Ojude oba in Ijebu land yearly here.
      I am happy you said they will jet to Lagos, its not only Lagos also Abuja Fed Cap.Territories new and former yes! The WHOLE of Nigeria and even foreigners built Lagos. Resources from other region as well as other SW was used in building Lagos and as such they will jet to Lagos. Dont faint!!!

Ola ndi Igbo amaka.

• WOW

October 22, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Bisi’s foul odour just polluted a fine discuss. Proudly Igbo and married to a lovely Yoruba babe.

12. Sandra

October 22, 2015 at 5:29 am

Bisi or whatever you call your name,must you hate the Igbo’s always making silly comment why can’t you be objective for ones,what is wrong in living immediately when they have other things to attend to the igbo’s in Lagos are they stopping you from making it?they work so hard for their money so why can’t you shallow minded person give them a brake,tribalist like you,because of people like you this nation cannot move forward,get a life and be successful instead of hating, biggot.

13. lola

October 22, 2015 at 5:31 am

Bisi,what happened now? Enough of all these tribal comments……Bright Chimezie is still looking young and fresh.

14. Tosin

October 22, 2015 at 6:24 am

1. the life-size sculptures, LOVE.
    2. Bright Chimezie, theater, LOVE.

Don’t let me sha abuse Igbo people sha, since it’s their page. Ibo wen no dey sabi deir own language, dey always wan form oyinbo pass oyinbo sef, but na dem dey do ninja pass if anybody open mouth to abuse dem. Kwenu! 🙂 just kidding!

• Iyeri

October 24, 2015 at 1:28 am

“Abuse?”…. Go ahead and abuse, when you are done give yourself a pat on the back for a great achievement

15. nice

October 22, 2015 at 7:33 am

I like the African print these ladies are wearing, can someone please be so kind when you come to SA bring for me… Can I please see one kindest Nigerian who going to buy this material for me.. please I beg you guys..

16. Adieu Biafra

October 22, 2015 at 9:27 am

I hope you all are getting ready for relocation to Biafra?

• nnenne

October 22, 2015 at 3:28 pm

@Adieu Biafra. .. No honey.Who says , everyone must live in their country?
      Never happened. Nigerians today, live all over the world!

• Dolapo

October 23, 2015 at 2:31 pm

So you want Biafra and still want to be living in Lagos or Kano. So, who is going to develop your Biafra for you?
      I dey laugh o in OBJ’ voice.

17. NG

October 22, 2015 at 10:27 am

Nice!!! Next is translating decisions to actions and cascading to different levels and monitoring and evaluating. Sure must find a way to add my own bit of effort to such worthy idea.

18. Yoruba Boy

October 22, 2015 at 12:16 pm

proudly married to an igbo girl

19. WOW

October 22, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Those of us who are in inter-tribal marriages should always speak up as I am encouraged in this space. Let’s be the first to stop our brothers and sisters from abusing other ethnic groups.

20. Dayo

October 22, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Valentino events Enugu did a fantastic job as usual, wonderful concept and decoration.

21. cee

October 22, 2015 at 2:47 pm

I concur beautiful decoration.

22. *curious*

October 23, 2015 at 12:23 am

Smh… Really though @ wale and bisi.

I am yoruba and i disapprove of your comments. Totally unnecessary. People are here rejoicing and you felt the need to make such disgusting comments. Olorun a sanu fun yin.

23. *curious*

October 23, 2015 at 1:44 am

I take back the word “disgusting” from my previous statement. In my head i had inflated your comments to be more than they are. They just sound tribalistic. Maybe i’m naiive…idk.