Scoop

Sisi Yemmie shares her Pregnancy & Giving Birth in Nigeria Story

BellaNaija.com

sisi yemmie nigerian blog Baby in Nigeria
Blogger Sisi Yemmie shares the fun story of how she found out she was pregnant 2 months after her wedding…after commenters on Instagram had mentioned her nose had grown bigger and other signs.

In typical Naija parent style, grandparents banned pregnancy photos and videos from social media and then she also shared how she instinctively knew she was carrying a boy.

In her typical candid style, she also revealed her major pregnancy symptoms including major sleepiness, swollen nose and feet, food cravings, heartburn, skin discolouration and more. She says she looked “ugly” during her pregnancy…we disagree.

Sisi Yemmie also mentions pregnancy complications which thankfully did not progress, including a small fibroid and excess amniotic fluid.

The blogger was overdue and gave birth at 42 weeks…at that point, she had a huge baby bump!

In the end, she was induced and she describes the pain involved in that process. She continues and also gives insight into the giving birth in Nigeria experience including her painful contractions, her husband’s support (he slept on the floor and in the car while she was in the hospital), scary moments when she was rushed in for an emergency Caesarean Section (CS) and the joyful moment her son was born.

Interesting Moments

• In the midst of her labour, someone came to ask her what she wanted to eat – She told her “gerrarahere mehn”
  • Being left in the corridor after delivery and being found by a cleaner shivering
  • The “mean” nurses

Today, Yemisi and her husband Yomi are the proud parents of a healthy and cute son!

Check on it.

Photo Credit: Sisi Yemmie’s Blog

1. Puzzles

October 22, 2015 at 8:30 am

I’ve noticed some pregnant women have this dark line in the middle of their tummy. why/what is that?

• Wendy

October 22, 2015 at 8:43 am

It is called Linea Nigra (latin for black line) it’s due to hormones (melanocyte stimulating hormone created by the placenta is the main contributing factor)
      It is stimulated during pregnancy and causes hyperpigmentation . It also causes darkening of the nipples during pregnancy. It is perfectly harmless and is a natural part of pregnancy.

• Daisy

October 22, 2015 at 10:42 am

Every lady has it. It’s more visible in a pregnant woman because the tummy is enlarged. Just like when something is written on a balloon it’s clearly seen when the balloon is inflated. If you are a lady check your tummy well by trying to push it out a lil, you’ll see it

• ATL's finest

October 22, 2015 at 10:54 am

@ Daisy not every lady . well 2 out of 10 probably don’t. My elder sister never had it & so is my best friend I was shocked..

• glow

October 22, 2015 at 11:03 am

It’s called “linea nigra”, one of the physiological things that may happen to the body of a pregnant woman

• Wale

October 22, 2015 at 1:06 pm

OMG! Sissy Yemmie-This is the most “delicious”story I have listened to in a long time(I use delicious ‘cos I know you are food blogger). You should be given an award not just for your experience at birthing a child but especially for the narration of it. It all seemed so vivid. I am like wow! women go through all these drama-but like you said the smile on your son’s face makes it worthwhile. I can’t even imagine with the maternal mortality rate in Nigeria being one of the highest in the world, every delivery in Nigeria is like playing a Russian roulette with ones life.
      However, I have to make a note of a couple of things-
      I think it is highly irresponsible of the diagnostic center to continue to give you a scan /ultrascan at your whim. That is exposing the fetus to uneccessary radiation, over and on top of the ones that might have been prescribed by your doctor.
      I think nigerian nurses are mean because they have acquired that culture from the so-called “mama matron system” we have in Nigeria that allow terroristic senior matron nurses to bully patients as they please. Nurses are supposed to be compassionate and are there to provide comfort. I can’t even imagine a nurse here in America scaring a patient by exaggerating impending pain before a medical procedure that would cause stress and discomfort to a patient. They will not only be sued but will be fired! We need to start looking at our medical facilities and professionals as service providers that are employed by us.
      Lastly, your parents are right about your family and privacy va SM exposure-these are the most precious people in your life, keep and protect them
      from public pry. That is why I have the utmostly respect for our own Uche here at BN. She keeps what is most important to herself and everyone should emulate this style.

• Ani

October 22, 2015 at 3:15 pm

There is no ionising radiatio involved with ultrasounds ??

2. EuroNaira

October 22, 2015 at 8:45 am

As if I wasn’t scared enough to have my babies in Nigeria, now it’s a definite NO NO for me!

Her son is the CUTEST though! ???? & I really enjoy her weekly vlogs!

• Sugar

October 22, 2015 at 11:18 am

Am sure if Sisi Yemmie announced her pregnancy on social Media, people will say she had all those complications because “awon aye” is involved and you have to conceal pregnancy and not make noise about it.

Keeping your pregnancy secret or not dosent guarantee safe delivery

• Shooppyyy

October 22, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Nothing is wrong.it depends on the hospital. I have had 2 pregnancy here one vaginal and d other emergency cs caused by abruption.but I was treated well with no negligence

3. Ann

October 22, 2015 at 8:47 am

Absolutely loved watching this. Nigeria has one of the highest mortality rate for pregnant women. In fact my cousin’s wife died recently from pregnant related issues. It was terrible. In 2015! I’m really glad yours was a happy story. Nigerian hospitals need to do better. Congratulations on your beautiful boy!

• Idomagirl

October 22, 2015 at 10:04 am

My dear Nigerian hospitals are horrible, kai. From the personnel to the environment. SMH.

4. Chinny

October 22, 2015 at 9:45 am

Sisi Yemmie, you are a great story teller. I felt every emotions you described like a lived experience. I really enjoyed watching this video and you are so funny. Thank God for a safe delivery. Congrats on your baby boy

5. Biola

October 22, 2015 at 9:56 am

Goodness. That quack doctor took a lot of chances that could have turned negative. Why induce a woman over 2 or 3 days? And that blomblom method! Who wheels a woman to the delivery room like that? God have mercy on us in Nigeria. What doctor forces a woman to give birth because of a personal trip. In other countries that yeye doctor would have her license revoked. All the pain without any pain reliever. A female doctor for that matter. The CS should have been performed after the 1st failed induction. They almost wasted the baby and mother. Thank God for your lives. Please, next time save some money and go to a better hospital.

• Idomagirl

October 22, 2015 at 11:18 am

Honestly. Even telling her that she didn’t want to perform another operation because she had performed 2 already and all this time they didn’t think to get the theatre ready on standby? They had to wait and start rushing. Na wa sha

• Kemmie

October 22, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Sisi Yemmie’s story is similar to mine but I had my baby in one of the best hospitals in the New England area. I went for my 41 weeks appointment and was only 1 cm dilated. I also had low amniotic fluid so my doc said to go straight to the hospital so I could be induced. This was on a Wednesday morning, I was given misoprostol every 6 hours x 3 doses and I didn’t dilate at all. Everyone and their mother kept poking my cervix to see how far I was.
      My doc already discussed the possibility of a C-section if I didn’t dilate by the next day, but she wanted to exhaust all options before a C/S which we were fine with. Later on Thursday night, cervidil was placed in my cervix with the hope of my cervix dilating by Friday morning. My baby and I were fine during all this, but I’m sure I would have had an emergency C section if one of us wasn’t tolerating it.
      Anyway by early Friday morning, I thought I was gonna die because I’d started contracting. The doc on call checked me and I was only 4cm, I was like WTF just 4cm? I was transferred to the delivery room to start my induction with Pitocin, I asked for my epidural before I was hooked to Pitocin, abeg I no fit shout.
      My labor progressed slowly and was pain free after that, my baby came later that evening. I’m, glad my doc didn’t just rush me to the OR for surgery.

• Shooppyyy

October 22, 2015 at 2:24 pm

U did not wheel a woman back after epidural. She is meant to lie down for abt 72hrs cos of headache and d rest.u shld have expressed d milk.Nigeria and differenr hospital method

• Passing by

October 22, 2015 at 5:38 pm

in developed countries, standards of practice, induction is done over 3 days. if by the 3rd day you do not go into labor then you head in for CS. The method used requires a drug delivered intravaginal.

6. viva

October 22, 2015 at 10:34 am

Lol I rilly enjoy dis video

7. babygirl

October 22, 2015 at 10:35 am

Hello Sisi Yemmie
    I always watch you vlog on your YouTube channel very interesting. Titobi is the cutest baby boy ever. When I watch your vlog it makes me miss Nigeria so much and all the lovely food. Definitely one of my favorite youtubers.

8. mrs chidukane

October 22, 2015 at 10:49 am

When I was pregnant with my first child I wasn’t sure which hospital I would give birth in so what I did was register for ante natal in the 3 hospitals recommended to me. Whenever I went to one I would surreptitiously look at the facilities, the nurses to see who employed nursing students and who employed qualified nurses, the attitude of the staff generally and other things. I would grill the other women and ask them lots of questions. I also checked how comfortable I felt within me and that is how I chose. Don’t just go anywhere because it’s close to your house or the doctor allegedly trained abroad. Look for hospitals that have equipment. Also, if you have a woman telling you she has given birth to 3 or more children in this hospital, that’s a very good sign. Ask questions and shine your eyes. Not every fancy looking hospital is good.

• Anonymous

October 22, 2015 at 11:21 am

Not every experience of a successful story can count as a guarantee in Nigeria. The first hospital i used was well equipped and up to standard and i judged on friends referrals who have had more than 2 births there …in fact i cant begin to explain my ordeal.For my 2nd child the same kind of mismanagement came up…i and my hubby just saved up and i delivered oversea. If i must have another child..no way am trying it here…the difference cant be quantified.Am blessed to have survived.. i currently have a mismanaged case of a friend from a another very good hospital …human error rate during child birth in Nigeria is just plain crazy.This is not to say human errors don’t occur in advanced countries too but the degree is extremely low and the value they place on human life is way important than here.

• mrs chidukane

October 22, 2015 at 11:49 am

@ Anonymous, my mother had 5 kids all in Nigeria in a government hospital. I have lots of friends who have done same. I also have friends who had horrible deliveries abroad. We can’t throw away the baby with the bath water. Not everyone can afford to go abroad to give birth and let’s face it,90 percent of people who do ,don’t do it for medical reasons. Yes Nigeria is not perfect but do your homework and make it easier for yourself. My hospital bill was less than 40k, you can imagine how little yet I didn’t want to leave because of the amazing care and comfort I got in the hospital. In fact, I took some extra days to just relax before going home to meet the endless visitors. All in all, it’s God’s grace after all is said and done.

• Kiitan

October 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Pls can I know the name of the hospital where you had your babies. My mum has been insisting on a govt maternity centre/hospital and I really want to have my baby in a private hospital. Being a first timer, all these stories are scary…..and I sincerely don’t want any complicatons.

• Mrs. T

October 22, 2015 at 5:19 pm

My big sister/cousin had hers in Lagoon VI, it was great according to her. She’s really hard to please, she mentioned her delivery would’ve been bad but they handled everything professionally and put her at ease.

• Mrs. T

October 22, 2015 at 5:22 pm

You’ll be alright Hun. Just go make some enquiries before its time to give birth, give yourself a break and stop reading scary stories. God’s got you. You can also check Gold Gross at Ikoyi.

9. Emy

October 22, 2015 at 10:55 am

Wow! Her stomach was really huge. Thank God it all went well. God please see all pregnant ladies through the whole pregnancy stages, labour and delivery. Amen!!!

10. MadamD

October 22, 2015 at 10:55 am

Hmmm, I delivered my 1st last yr in a private Nigerian specialist hospital and the staff from doctors to nurses were so nice. Infact I kept saying thank you. It all depends on the individuals and work ethic.
    Sisiyemmie biko change hospital. How could they allow you stay that long after first induction + which one is ballon again? In all, Thank God for a sound Titobi and you.

• MadamD

October 22, 2015 at 1:51 pm

I forgot to add that my bill as just 20k (service charge, drugs and I stayed in the general ward). My husband and I looked at ourselves in disbelief when we saw the bill.

11. Frida

October 22, 2015 at 11:00 am

She and her husband were irresponsible. Simple. Why didn’t she do her research before deciding on which hospital to use?
    Giving birth in Nigeria is not as nasty as she writes. Choose your hospital and gynaecologist with care.
    I gave birth to my first child in Nigeria. I was treated like a queen from the beginning to the end.
    my obstetrician was careful and meticulous. I had a nurse by my side from beginning to end. Comforting me and rubbing my back.
    I paid only 80k for the delivery at the end of the day.
    another lady paid 150k for caeserean section in the same hospital.
    the hospital came highly recommended by lots of women I know.
    she was careless for using a hospital with a quack doctor.
    even public hospitals are not this careless.
    So people who don’t money to travel to the US to give birth should go and die?
    rubbish

• Frida

October 22, 2015 at 11:02 am

Let me add….my husband was in the delivery room with me from start to finish.

• Chichi

October 22, 2015 at 11:20 am

Please what hospital was this?? It would be nice to know the name so that people can go there for delivery

• Nma

October 22, 2015 at 12:02 pm

They’re good hospitals in Lagos, you have Lagoon Hospitals, very good by the way, in VI, they have their HQ in Apapa, you have Reddignton, there’s another one, can’t remember the name, my cousin gave birth there. They’re quite a lot, not really familiar with all the names as I moved to Lagos in 2005, left in 2008 to Calgary and only just moved back again.
      Even in Canada, they’re some horrible hospitals, I’ve personally experienced some 1st had, you just have to make sure you do proper research in any country before picking/choosing a hospital. Hospitals/health care is/can be terrible in any country.

• Nma

October 22, 2015 at 12:02 pm

1st hand* I meant to type.

• niyoola

October 22, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Reply. I laugh in Spanish @ Reddington. Having medical equipment and gadget doesn’t make a hospital chassis abeg.

• Exq

October 22, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Niyola, if you like laugh in Chinese. My relation had both her boys in Reddington and both experiences were great; thank God. She was well catered for, alongside her babies.
      Nma, you’re right. Lagoon is fantastic.
      Some of you talk nonsense. You do realize you can have shitty health experiences in ANY country?
      In 2010, Toronto to be precise, a lady went to the hospital, she was pregnant, her gynecologist checked her as usual, and confirmed she was okay, the very next day she went there and she pushed out a dead baby. The Doctors were later giving series of excuses.
      My friends and I have also had horrible experiences (though not maternity related), here. This has nothing to do with Nigeria, Ghana, etc, you can get awful health care experience(s) in any country.

• ng

October 22, 2015 at 11:50 am

U will be surprised if she mentioned the hospital where this happened. Write with sense next time.

• niyoola

October 22, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Hi think it’s unfair to call them irresponsible.
      The thing is to hope the medical staff are ready for you.
      I have heard sordid tales about hospitals that come highly recommended.

There’s a hospital in Ikoyi that gave a 3 month old baby expired intravenous fluids.
      There’s a hospital in Ikeja that left bits of placenta or whatever in the uterus after surgery; another in ikeja left some napkins/cloths in a lady.
      A hospital in VI that prides itself on being very top notch took a patient who suffered a cardiac arrest all the way to LUTH for resuscitation. Imagine, VI to LUTH, while the heart has stopped.
      There’s this other hospital in Lekki that occasionally uses general anaesthesia for C/S because they dont have an anaesthetist on call. General Anaesthesia o, when it’s not an emergency.

Please, just appreciate you had it good. Dont blame the couple. Noone intentionally goes to a bad hospital.

• niyoola

October 22, 2015 at 12:03 pm

*I
      Lord have mercy, did I just type ‘I’ with H-factor *face palm*

• slice

October 22, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Your comment is very callous and you are the irresponsible one. Do u really believe you love her life more than she does. Wh is your evidence that she didn’t do her research

• Exq

October 22, 2015 at 12:54 pm

And by the way Frida, I think you’ll have made your point without calling them irresponsible. That wasn’t needed. Do apologize.

Bottom line: I live in Toronto and unfortunately, these things happen everywhere. I can’t begin to narrate different horrific experiences from different individuals.

The video of her baby crying made me shed tears; it makes the tumultuous experience worth it. ? God bless your home Yemisi & Yomi.

• kili

October 22, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Please share the name of the hospital pls.

• Jaj

October 22, 2015 at 1:31 pm

You sound so bitter. What happen to you that you sound so screwed up.

• niyoola

October 22, 2015 at 1:51 pm

@Exq: I agree that you can have a bad experience anywhere. I’ve read horrid tales on so many fora. I also noticed these doctors tend to trivialise and brush-off these complaints/issues.

• Watching Amaechi's screening

October 22, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Hmmmmm, Reddington. Reddington the preety hospital, with all the shiny fancy looking things.
      My friend had a VERY bad experience at Reddington. Her doctor induced her at 37 weeks. Why? Doc was going on holiday and didn’t want to hand her over to another Ob/Gyn. Told her you are better off with me inducing you than seeing another Ob this late in pregnancy.
      My friend didn’t mind a new Ob, but she agreed (in hindsight, bad move).
      From the induction, it all went downhill from there. Let’s just say we thank God mum and baby made it alive.

My colleagues mom died at Reddington after an Appendectomy! as in appendectomy, removal of appendix lasan. While I understand that surgeries could have any outcome, they mismanaged the whole thing abeg. On top all the machines they connected the woman to, none of them registered something was wrong, till 2 seconds before the woman died.
      Hian!

• nneka

October 22, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Chai babe, you can lie ooo! How can you open your mouth and seriously claim your friend’s doctor induced her at 37 weeks because he was going on holiday and didn’t want to hand her over to another Ob/Gyn and that she was better off with the doctor inducing her than seeing another Ob this late in pregnancy. This is pure lie. Its either you are blatantly lying or your friend lied to you. Haba! I used Reddington for my 2 kids and I got excellent service from the doctors, especially when I had abruption of the placenta leading to emergency cs. Please, either you stop lying or you go back to your friend and ask her to tell you the simple truth!

• Watching Amaechi's screening

October 22, 2015 at 4:43 pm

You are speaking based on your own experience, i narrated someone’s experience. WHy do you have to go all aggressive and gangsta. The fact that you had a good experience there doesn’t mean others cannot have bad experience there. Read a comment above where someone said you can have a bad hospital experience anywhere in the world.

Sisi Yemi had her baby at Lagoon Hospital, which is a hospital that comes highly recommended; yet see her experience.
      Speak about what you know about and move on pls. KMT

• ........... Ellipsis

October 22, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Nneka, you don’t believe a doctor can schedule a C/S because she won’t be around, but this article talks about a doctor saying she had done 2 C-Sections that day and didn’t want to do a 3rd one.
      Don’t be so vehement in defending something when you don’t have all the facts please. Just thank God or whoever you worship that you had an uneventful delivery.
      Is it not in this Nigeria, (LUTH or LASUTH, I can’t remember) where a baby was cut when the incision for CSection was made. The baby had a deep cut to the neck. As at when I read the report, the baby had lots of complications, couldn’t even sit up at over 1 year old. And these government hospitals usually have the best hands; infact most of these government hospital doctors consult/private practice at Private Hospitals.

So madam NNeka, please calm down.

• Tomi

October 22, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Sisi Yemmie gave birth in Lagoon. I would know cause I was there.

12. chidi

October 22, 2015 at 11:19 am

thank God it ended in praise. OMG the hospital doesn’t set up for possible C-sec with any delivery? especially for her that was already past due. May God save our country NigeriA,and protect all the pregnant women. Those nurses are vulgar,and needs training. Who forces a mother to breast feed baby on post op day 1,unless if she wants to? and the doctor stating No Csec since he/she has delivered 2 recent Csec? well thank God that baby did not aspirate his mecomium…Infact I cant

13. niyoola

October 22, 2015 at 11:49 am

Lord have mercy. This just reminds me of my ordeal last year.

I was also overdue, Doc said she’ll induce me. (BTW the hospital came highly recommended for Ob/Gyn).
    The fingers in the VJJ were just ridicuolous and painful; with all our advancement in science, there’s no better wat to check dilation????/
    When the contractions hit after induction!!! Kai, Jesus be my Saviour. I feltit in my brain. That was pain on a scale I’ve never seen (bear in mind I’ve passed a kidney stone and also had a ruptured ovarian cyst).
    Anyway, labour went on for hours, yet dilation was stuck at 4cm.
    I got a sweep, water were ruptured artificially, yet it wasnt moving along.

Eventually, after about 16 hours of pain, I was fully dilated. I pushed like my life depended on it, literally. In 3 pushes, baby had crowned and the baby didnt come out. Had an episiotomy and a tear (Vacuum was also used), baby didnt budge. Doctor said I had to go for a C-Section. What, after all this pain and waiting and horror.

I had to wait about 15mins for an anaesthetist to show up. Good thing is baby was a trooper all the while (heart rate steady, tolerating the massive contractions easy peasy).

So I had a C-Section; Doc pushed the baby back in. The best thing about the whole ordeal was when i got the epidural. Lord Jesus, I now understand how people get addicted to drugs. It was ah-mazing! The pain just disappeared.

The worst part, asides the pain was when i didnt hear my baby cry after the surgery. Took about 2 mins for that (seemed like 100 hours to me). I could see the paediatrician working on her …… my heart was in my mouth, baby, take that breath (was scared of brain damage due to lack of oxygen, among other things) well she cried and i cried and all became well with the world.

Then I started shivering. Doctor said it wasn’t unusual for that to happen. He gave me an injection and adjusted the A/C and i stopped shivering.

I took me 2 days before I was in the mood to see my baby. But once I requested to see her, i fell in love.

okay, writing this made me teary eyed.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 22, 2015 at 1:50 pm

*handing you tissues*

Damn. Let nobody take this 9-month journey for granted, mennnn…..

• niyoola

October 22, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Dabs tears away. Thank you.

You wonder how some people maltreat their own kids. Even a supposedly easy delivery is still memorable.

• Dee

October 22, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Aww! Your story touched me. God bless you and your baby

14. Lonely Girl...

October 22, 2015 at 12:08 pm

In all we give thanks to God.

Nice story, imagined the whole thing through out. As regards the challenge with the Doctors, hope you learnt your lesson Sisi Yemmie. Research is key . Congrats on the birth of your “bouncing” baby boy. 🙂 . Ire-Akari oh. Pray God gives me my own husband first and children after marriage. Amen

15. Blueberry

October 22, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Chai Sisi Yemmie, you managed to make such a horrifying story so hilarious, I had a good laugh there and shared it with a friend. Lool. In your head you were seeing cutlass in that theater abi?. And the nurses made things worst. Smh. Congrats on your baby boy and hope to see you dancing shoki in church soon. You sure have come a long way.

16. niyoola

October 22, 2015 at 1:36 pm

I wish Epidural for vaginal delivery would become normal in Naija.

17. Adaeze Writes

October 22, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Mehn! You guys that delivered in good hospitals here in Nigeria should kindly write the names of the hospitals down! I have mentally checked the first one which is Lagoon Hospital….
    Thank God for Sisi Yemmie….labour isn’t beans! Women are strong!

• Mamamora

October 22, 2015 at 4:00 pm

I had my two children in St Catherine hospital in Port Harcourt .It was an awesome experience. 2cs in 2 years (not intentional ) and everything went smoothly even with placenta previa type 2 and type 3. Above all, God was involved

• Laila

October 22, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Sisi Yemmmie had her baby at Lagoon Hospital,
      Just hope you have god and capable hands when you are at the hospital., Some people have bad experiences in good hospitals and good experiences in bad hospitals.

• Laila

October 22, 2015 at 4:51 pm

*good

• Tosin.A

October 22, 2015 at 5:10 pm

I can swear by Premier Specialists Victoria Island, had both my children there.

18. Quisite

October 22, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Sorry hun.
    That was a horrific experience. Women are really trying. God bless your home.
    However, there are bad experiences in health care worldwide, in America, in the UK, basically any country. The main reason why Nigerians and other nationalities run outside to give birth is mainly for passports, and not because ‘the hospitals are bad”. My sister in-law to be was born and raised in UK and she’s a citizen, so regardless of where her kids are born, they’ll be British Citizens. Someone like that can decide to have her kids in Lagos, in the UK or even the U.S., as her hubby is a U.S. Citizen. Most people also travel as it’s become a “norm”. I know people on Canada, UK, America and the likes who’ve had unimaginable terrible experiences. Not just in maternal care, but other areas. My friend was bleeding once and when 911 took her to the hospital, she wasn’t attended to until 5 hours later. Even the top hospitals in NY, London, Toronto horrible and atrocious things happen.

19. Are we there yet?

October 22, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Ladies & gents please list the hospitals where you had horrific experiences please!!

Help save the lives of pregnant nigerian women. We cannot continue to bury our sisters, mothers, friends, wives & patients over some wacko’s negligence!

Sisi Yemmi please reveal the hospital name!!!!!!!

20. sweery

October 22, 2015 at 3:34 pm

I had my baby last year at Gold Cross Hospital at bourdillon road Ikoyi, very lovely hospital, top notch facilities, customer service etc. From ante-natal to delivery was a memorable experience.Though pretty much expensive but worthwile, I had a planned CS due to breech positioning and I thanked God all the way.

Lagoon hospital at apapa is also very reliable, my sis had her 2 kids there and no horrible stories. Presently I’m using Victoria Island Hospital Services behind That big Mobil HQ building in VI. As a matter of fact that hospital in respect to their services and care is the best so far. I intend to have my second baby there by God’s grace. I hope this helps, sorry for the epistle.

• Mrs. T

October 22, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Lagoon is very good, both the VI and Apapa. My family back home use it. Well qualified and seasoned Doctors.
      @Are we there yet: I live in North America and I can assure you it happens everywhere. Sadly. Even in the top hospitals.

• Dee

October 22, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Everyone’s experience is different. She has hers in lagoon and see all she went through.

• IfeLove

October 23, 2015 at 10:41 am

Gold Cross hospital has some nasty nurses. Sometime this year, my sister was admitted there for about 4 days after she was assaulted and she was discharged and certified okay only for her to have massive headaches and eye ache. She went back to the hospital and can you just imagine that after the doc in charge went through her file, it was discovered from that she had an infection in her eye and was to have been referred to an eye specialist. Obviously the doctor that was on call when she was there left it for angels to do. SMH! I was so livid.
      I also had several issues with some of the nurses’ attitudes and response time. Another lady who was in my sister’s room had pregnancy complications(The baby died in her) and she was in serious pains. I called the nurses’ station several times and I was told that someone was coming to attend to her. Even after letting them know the severity of the pain the lady was going through, no one came after almost 30 minutes. I had to go to the nurses’ station myself before they started running about like chickens in the rain.
      Another lady was also brought in almost dead; She had serious respiratory issues and had to have an oxygen mask from the hospital that referred her to Gold Cross. Can you believe that without running tests and finding other alternatives to the issue, the breathing mask was removed, all in the name of examination. It took the timely arrival of another doctor to get them put the mask back on.
      The essence of my long write up though unrelated to child birth is just to let you know that even the best hospitals with the most amazing facilities can have staff who neglect their duties and until appropriate sanctions are put in place and executed against such erring staff, these unwholesome attitudes and service delivery will not end.
      That you had a good experience somewhere doesn’t guarantee that someone else will.

• Yem

October 23, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Gold Cross Hosp Rocks!!!
      I had my baby there too. The medical service was amazing! It was a midwife that delivered my baby. She was so helpful, nice, reassuring. And when the time came for her to be strict & firm…Oh MY! SHE DIDNT hesitate to do that. Looking back, i appreciate the strictness bcos my baby was crowning and i was soooo tired. She literally pinched me severally, covered my mouth to enable me channel the energy & pain to push my baby out. With 2 pushes, my baby came out!
      Btw, baby was overdue. they tried membrane sweep, the balloon thingy then the drip. Thanking God for the safe delivery of my son.
      I would def recommend them, although, i didnt use them for my antenatal care.

21. NaijaPikin

October 22, 2015 at 5:12 pm

So what is the point of typing stories and not naming the hospitals?

You will think folks would share hospitals to help others prevent going through traumatic situations.

Truth is mortality rate is higher in naija. Yes issues can occur anywhere in the world, but the mortality rate indicates its occurs more in naija exp due to negligence.

I’ve been told best bet is still govt hospitals in naija for most emergencies. Most island hospitals stabilize you and off to LUTH you go for specialists.

May the Lord be with us.

• Abk

October 22, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Please get your facts right. Name hospitals? In Toronto, Humber River. Absolute crap! I had an emergency (not maternal) and I had to wait for 6 hours before I was attended too, even as it was critical. Same hospital, my friend arrived there late at night, bleeding in a critical condition, and she still wasn’t attended to until the following day. Even great hospitals like Sunnybrook and Mount Sinai, people have had tumultuous experiences. People even lose their lives. So please. You’re saying name hospitals, you actually think these stories are made up? Smh. Bottom life, these things happen everywhere. Canada, America, UK., etc. If you think Nigerians travel our to give birth for “good hospitals”, you had better reevaluate. It’s mainly for passports. People have different experiences. Even the top hospitals in New York and Chicago, even London, people have had terrible experiences.

• NaijaPikin

October 23, 2015 at 3:53 am

No I don’t think the stories are made up. Name the hospitals so people know where to go. Not because I doubt them.

Go and check infant mortality rates per country on google. Yes issues occur everywhere but like I said the facts show naija infant mortality rate is higher than yankee and jand.

And pple do travel for safety not just passport. Loads of people go to dubai, London and other countries that do not give citizenship on birth. Explain how that’s passport related

22. It's not that bad people!

October 22, 2015 at 7:05 pm

I had my baby at Paelon Memorial Clinic in V.I, awesome treatment start to finish. Wonderful staff.

I went into labour in the wee hours of the morning and my husband messaged the doc, by 2am he had showed up!

23. mama k

October 23, 2015 at 3:05 am

Some Horrible hospitals for maternal care/ delivery:
    Safeway Hospital – nothing safe about that place
    Doren Hospital – just google and see what i mean
    ……

These two I’m sure of. I Know 3 babies and two mothers lost there.
    pls add some more. We might save more lives.

• Tosin A.

October 23, 2015 at 3:58 pm

God bless you for this comment mama K , these two hospitals are the worst!!! we got robbed sometime in 2011 and my mum was severly injured in the process, Lost almost all her teeth, had a cut upper lip, deep injuries to her head and body. We rushed her to Doren hospital at Ajiwe, Ajah. (because thats where was closest and we had registered there prior). It was around 6am in the morning. First of all they refused to admit or treat her until we paid a cash down payment with our hospital number which neither I or my dad could remember. We had no wallets or anything with us. can you imagine the ordeal for my family, after about 30mins of looking for my last name in a file room we finally got a room and had to wait for the 8am doctore to resume. My mum was losing so much blood I just couldn’t comprehend this was a private hospital. The doctor finally came and did the surgery on her mouth area while nurses came to clean up the injuries and stitches. Time for food nkor? story for another day. we paid over 300k in that hospital for that horrible service/treatment.
      They didn’t apologise and were just telling us to calm down. That experience I would never forget
      That safeway hospital is also at Ajah, pregnant women die like its no man’s business there. SO negligent and the hospital should be closed down!!

Just tired of medical practitoners and their lackadaisical behavior to lives.