Relationships

Watch Maje Ayida, Taje Prest & Abimbola Craig Talk about Body Image on #NdaniRealTalk Episode 11

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

It’s Tuesday and you know what that means – time for Ndani Real Talk!

Yay!

Today Cornelia O’Dwyer has a chat with fitness experts Maje Ayida and Taje Prest as well as Ambimbola Craig, lawyer and Skinny Girl actor.

Cornelia O'Dwyer Abimbola Craig Maje Ayida Taje Prest

The topic for discussion is Body Image as the guests weigh the importance of perception and reality.

According to Ndani TV, Body image is a sensitive issue in the world today. People are either shamed for being too big, or being too slim. What do you think about weight? Is there a fine line between being big and being healthy? Have you ever felt like your weight determined how people treat you?

Watch the episode below.

1. Mystique

October 6, 2015 at 12:35 pm

i’m here for the MAJE comments……….

• IMA

October 6, 2015 at 2:05 pm

me too.

• Hauwa

October 6, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Me three

• Abz

October 8, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Me four

2. bee side

October 6, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Maje seems like a decent guy though… sigh .. wish it was a different story.

Love this show BTW.

• Abike

October 6, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Sweet Maje. IF Toke dosent want you please my arms are open, I love you already…..Fine calm Majeeeeeee

3. commentor

October 6, 2015 at 1:21 pm

They are all fat, and yes body image will always matter.Please promote healthier looking hosts

• Hmm

October 6, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Aren’t you just a rude monkey. The problem with people like you is you never stop to consider this person’s struggles. Countless rude, presumptuous people including my mother in law have opinions they absolutely must share about my weight whether we meet in public or private. Not only do I have Insulin resistant PCOS, my attempts to stay fit are hampered by osteoarthritis in my knees from an old sports injury. I diet faithfully, never touch soda or juice because I just don’t like the stuff, rarely eat sweets and pastries and eat only non-GMO grains when possible. I eat high protein, low complex carb, high veg and fruit and drink a ton of water. I also spend 90 minutes at the gym with a personal trainer 6 days a week. I do not let people like you get to me anymore but I had to respond for those who are bothered by your opinion. Please stick it where the sun don’t shine.

• Fabulous B

October 7, 2015 at 4:19 am

I understand your struggles, dear. Wow! 90mins in 6days out of 7days. That’s a challenging week after week. I need to give you kudos for seeing it through. You’re a conqueror.
      Pls, do not mind the attackers. Do you and you’re doing great in been Healthy & fit.
      I’m concerned about the osteoarthritis. I’m aware of the degree of pains causing discomfort, depending on the severity of osteoarthritis. I’d like us to talk one of this days or chat, if you don’t mind. Pin:2BC07481 /+2348188700960

• Yori Bracket

October 8, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Shame on you! I know many unhealthy skinny people. I dare you to post a photo or your real self!!

4. LaShonda Balogun

October 6, 2015 at 1:52 pm

See this Maje sef, eyes like a bush snake.

Focussing on other bodies was what got him into trouble in the first place.

• Offpoint

October 8, 2015 at 5:59 am

I don’t support what Maje did however He who is without sin cast the first stone.

5. guest

October 6, 2015 at 1:52 pm

I have been fat-shamed all my life, especially by family. I am naturally busty (38F hehehehe) so it doesn’t matter when I was a size 6 US, 8 or 10, people always warned me about being too fat. I was always criticized for being fat, I became obsessed with exercise to the point of fainting due to over-exertion. I realized that I was addicted to exercise and decided to reduce it. I remember being at my sister’s wedding and a random woman came over to me and told me to “watch it” or else I would never get married like my sister. I was like WTF? I was a US size 8 then and worked out five times a week (one hour a day), I had defined muscles and abs and was at the peak of health. And anyway, what does my size have to do with the ability to get married? lol…Nigerians can be so shallow. I am healthier than most of the people who criticize my looks, I workout and eat well, whereas, these people don’t exercise at all,… one particular friend starves herself to maintain a skinny look, so while she is skinny, she is very unhealthy. Time will tell who is really unhealthy and who isn’t. I insist on developing healthy habits that will enable my body to carry me through as I age, regardless of what size I am. I feel strong and healthy. Funnily enough, while people made fun of my weight, they were always eyeing my bust… hahahahaha… the bust issue is another story for another day, chai!

• Wend

October 6, 2015 at 3:37 pm

I’ve been there love, I understand.
      That was how my cousins were mocking me during Christmas due to my weight naim I vex, vowed that I will be the slimmest amongst them. I started taking anything takable: laxatives,Lipton, Cabbage soup,Lemon+red pepper,grapes to starving + walking to class and I moved from 76kg-62kg within 2months. I take things so tey my M. cycle went with the weight, now I’m back to eating well so as I can see the cycle. So if u know you are healthy be happy dear, that’s all that matters,not one person who doesn’t know what you’ve been through idea.

6. Hey

October 6, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Lagos pple n der fake accent, I get the message but pls u all should speak normal Biko! esp. d blue head geh!

7. Tari

October 6, 2015 at 2:04 pm

When you speak with these funny silly accents, you will struggle to breath and end up looking silly.
    It is a sign of a lack of self-esteem.
    No names mentioned.

• Boity

October 6, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Well what else is new
      The whole world knows 98% of all nigerians have LOW SELF ESTEEM when it comes your accent. That is why all of you have the need to fake it, cos it brings your low self esteem up a notch, right????

8. IMA

October 6, 2015 at 2:08 pm

There’s this thing about Maje’s eyes….hmmmmm. Nice tho.

• Sugar

October 6, 2015 at 5:11 pm

TOKE MAKINWA come have ur man!!! Some people are drooling over him
      Sexy Sexy Maje, Let me also be your baby mama number 2.

9. Vix

October 6, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I really enjoyed this topic and the emphasis on health. That is the most important thing in any fitness journey and lifestyle. The reality is everyone is built differently, but ultimately it is important to be healthy. Skinny does not necessarily equate to being healthy. The moral of the story is do what ever is necessary to be HEALTHY.

10. Eni

October 6, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Hmmm, Maje. I’m impressed by the way he talks. He’s even better than Toke

• Benny

October 7, 2015 at 7:37 am

You are so silly, it is amazing

11. swthrt

October 6, 2015 at 3:31 pm

What you do daily determines What you become permanently! Stay Healthy!

12. Karashuka

October 6, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Maje definitely is not the quiet guy i assumed he was sha. Real talk talk, lol!! Toke must have dealt with a lot oh

Btw – maje ur accent no be for here…haba, u didnt live in the UK or school there. Na real wah. At least all the babes on the panel schooled in UK or US at some point.

Loved this episode but wish there was a skinny chic on the panel.

• Destined for greatness

October 6, 2015 at 4:57 pm

What’s with the accent shaming? Is it envy? Btw Maje schooled in the Uk from a very young age. Not just any school privately schooled. So what do you expect? He should come and join you to be talking like agbero. Kmt

• Tina

October 6, 2015 at 5:06 pm

According to the internet, he both schooled and worked in the UK.

• Lagos is my home

October 7, 2015 at 12:40 am

Maje Ayida did his secondary and university in UK …… that’s a fact so be sure of what u post . All his siblings schooled in the UK

13. Jojo

October 6, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Quite an educative and insightful.
    Maje … sigh. a beautiful piece of protoplasm (now I understand a bit of ‘oke’s neurosis). the man fine sha
    The lady in the market is a riot. Says the prick… go small. Quite blunt. She is biologically correct and this affects both men and women

• chrissy

October 6, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Just out of curiosity….is there really a correlation between weight and a man’s penis size….lol! i am a skinny girl, always been US size 2-4, and i dated this guy who was overweight last year. Not morbidly obese or anything but lets just say he could miss some meals 🙂
      Anyway long story short, after a long night of drinking and hanging out on one of those crazy summer nights we ended up at my condo. It was late, we cuddled up together watching TV, next thing we were making out….anyways, what bothered me though was typically when u are that close to a guy, u should be able to feel an erection, but with him, i could not feel anything even when i straddled him….omo, i panicked! He was my first foray into dating big guys, as it was an unchartered territory for me. My past boyfriends were always ripped, six packs and all, and hell, i never even had to get that close to feel and erection, all i had to do was slightly press like on them or a little dance and i could definitely feel the bulge all the way 🙂

Clearly the attraction was mutual with this guy, and he was always the aggressor…so attraction had nothing to do with it. Too bad we split before i got to examine his package 🙂 Although i had a feeling i would have been disappointed. Just wondering do all overweight men really have small packages 🙂

• Hmm

October 7, 2015 at 3:03 am

Not always o. I have one ex that is built like a horse. Well over 300lbs. Just like your guy, I couldn’t feel it during make out sessions. Omo, the day the fools enter, I almost fainted. Wisdom, now you know why I ran. Goodness gracious. There is such a thing as too much. Now that homeboy has lost weight, I look at his wife with all kinds of respect. She is a survivor!

• Complicated

October 8, 2015 at 6:35 am

Best not to make assumptions regarding the size of a man’s package, what you see when it is flaccid is not what you get when Bros is up. Men are also complicated too :).

14. Moms

October 6, 2015 at 4:14 pm

the struggle is real.
    Loosing weight for self is very important because you will fee light , more active and happier. I’m a UK10/12 and the smallest I have been is UK8 thanks to NYSC.
    The way strangers just think they have the right to tell you how you should look like is really annoying…a lady in church told me on sunday…your fat is bad because it starts from your face…people of God,I carried through out the weekend because my boyfriend of a few months said his ex is pregnant for him…people don’t know what the person is facing and they just say things without”filter “like Maje said already.
    BTW,Bimbola,your short hair looks good on you too

15. Noms

October 6, 2015 at 4:18 pm

autocorrect be Changing Noms to Moms…na wa

16. Tuu

October 6, 2015 at 5:01 pm

I’m so impressed by Maje Ayida like whaaaat?!!! I don’t care what any1 says, that accent wasn’t fake and he sounds well grounded and intelligent. Why won’t Toke fall abeg. She gats to.

17. Sugar

October 6, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Abimbola Craig, This your koko waves no be here o.

18. La

October 6, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Maje and toke are still together. Just keeping a lowkey profile. I wish them the best. Everyone makes mistakes this was a huge one and they have moved on. Glory to God

19. chrissy

October 6, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Love Bimbo Craig!!!! She is so beautiful and authentic 🙂 Btw, the TWA is everything….can’t believe she chopped off all that hair and decided to go natural.

Cornelia is a doll 🙂 Gorgeous girl

Taje’s skin is everything! She is quite pretty

And i never though i would ever say this, but Maje is actually starting to grow on me….For some reason i always saw him as a narcissistic asshole! (Especially after the Toke saga his ass was swiftly remanded to “Niggaville” territory) He actually is articulate and seem nice (hopefully is not all an act to clean up his image).

Great show guys…..

20. nina

October 6, 2015 at 8:03 pm

They are totally wrong for this! why would you bring overweight celebs on a show to talk about weight? clearly they’re uncomfortable with the topic. this is absolutely pathetic. there should have been another way to discuss this very sensitive issue.

21. lmao

October 6, 2015 at 8:18 pm

The most entertaining part of this series for me is the street talk the woman said the prick go small ? what do we call that penis shaming??? Like the man of the other day that said “I do professional sezz”” I almost fell off my chair when I heard that.

22. Tosin

October 6, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Why are more young people (in Nigeria, basically Lagos Island and a few other select ajebo spots) fat these days?
    Just asking a basic question. There’ll always be a few overweight young people a few underweight young people, but look at Lagos Island mennnn, we just inherited middle America’s weight matter. Why?

Meanwhile I keep saying I need to get an exercise HABIT. Awww, it would be awesome. Not a lot of exercise, just a habit of jumping around and doing something regularly to make the body better.

Nna, na to dey hospital be the worst o. Any person wey get good health make e dey thank God.
    And the naija no filter thing is so true, but the oyinbo filter-filter thing is depressing and isolating sooo…
    Next time, I’ll tell you a joke about the fat woman and the conductor. You already know the joke. How about the fat, I mean, amazingly fat-yansh chic on the keke napep? Lol, and she wanted to pay a reduced rate – how? I still remember her personality tho, just winning and lovely. Dark chocolate. But her bum-bum mennn, wooot!
    #onelove

If you dey fat, no fat jooo. Wetin you wan take fat do, ehn? (Delete coke fanta la casera, Add water, carrot, beans.)

23. nene

October 6, 2015 at 10:55 pm

nigerians, especially nigerian men are vicious to fat women. just look at responses on the street. a fat woman in nigeria is truly a big problem. i’m not saying obesity is good but people should be considerate and love people and treat them with respect.

24. iyke

October 6, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Why are the ladies all being defensive about their weights? There’s no way your BMI would be above average and you still be healthy.With due respect,accept that you are overweight and do something about it.
    #noexcuse

• NaijaPikin

October 8, 2015 at 5:29 pm

It’s not about being defensive. As some of the ladies have mentioned, they are doing something about their weight but other health issues prevent them from getting desired results. They dont deserve to be shamed.

See ehn our bodies are completely different. there’s no 1 size fits all. So 10 people can be doing the same workout everyday, eating the same food everyday and will have different results.

As long as people are trying, lets encourage them. But the truth is if you meet a random person, you dont know if they are trying or not. its best you remain quiet. If the person is someone you know, then encourage them,

25. luvnaija

October 7, 2015 at 10:18 am

Toke if you are reading this PLEASE take your man back! To err is human to forgive divine! Borrow a leaf from Annie, may the LOVE you both had/have for each other be replenished in multiple folds. On a lighter note, let Maje join you in attending MFM very neccessary!

26. Plus size girl in transit? Yes? No?

October 7, 2015 at 5:59 pm

So no one talked about the skinny girls. I have been skinny all my life and have been told that I need to look “ripe” for marriage, called hiv/aids patient. I have a nice figure, actually an hour glass shape with a cute little butt but because it’s not a size 10 or 12 in your face figure I get called names. “Your shape is mad but would be madder if you add like 10kg. Cornelia, I love your show, we all do but please it’ll be nice to give equal opportunities to people at both sides of the coin. Next time invite both skinny and plus size guests.

27. M

October 8, 2015 at 3:13 am

I don’t know but I feel like Cornellia is gradually pulling down her “walls”….both externally / internally.
    There is real beauty and strength in learning “to let go” and I believe she has been listening to some of the criticism directed at her. Personally I think that’s the way to go.
    She is truly talented and I wish her all the best. An humble heart and open mindset can help everything else fall right into place, cheers 😉

28. Lolade

October 9, 2015 at 2:45 am

Did that last woman on the street crack you up as much as I. … lmaoo. …”if man too fat , the belle go don cover the brokos”…. Lwkm. …

29. Speaking for the Skinny Girl

October 13, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Hello Cordelia!
    Please do try to get some skinny lady to speak on our behalf someday. It’s a two way street.

Some examples, I once sat in a taxi with a very fat lady who took up all the space (front seat!) and refused to let me alight because she was bigger than I was. It was way too tight and I was paying the same fare as she was! The driver kept pleading with me, but the woman was unjust.

Another incident. I sat by a man who used his elbow to hit on my breast just because he felt he could take me on, because I shoved him off sitting on my legs by refusing to shift, knowing I would alight sooner. Although he was not big. He threatened to slap me. People spoke and threatened on my behalf, it happened already. I was so hurt.

Boarded a BRT bus some days ago on my way to work. Stood all the way for almost an hour ride. Paid my fare and few minutes later, the ticket lady wanted to pass where I was leaning. I directed her to an open route which was vacant. Because she didn’t have her way, the lady pushed me so hard, because she was bigger than me, body size wise. The woman standing behind me rebuked her act. It really hurt. Being a public place, I cried in silence. Couldn’t hold back my tears because it hurt really deep and didn’t want to quarrel anymore. At first, I hid my face until another woman noticed me weeping into my right arm used to support my weight because I stood. She raised an alarm. People defended me, cursing her and apologizing to me. It was good to have people defend me, what about when it’s a one on one situation? There’s need for an awareness that this body image thingy isn’t for a plus size individuals alone.

There’s really been a lot of experiences I have had to grapple with. I have the slim genes, I might add later on but, these are just a few negatives. So you know, it might even be worse on our end because some individuals are plainly insensitive.

I pray that I get my car soon. It will definitely reduce the effect. Since you have a platform, create more awareness on both sides.
    Thank you.