News

Water Leaks Into Aircraft of Nigerian Airline During Heavy Rain – VIDEO

Rain

Wow! What would you do if you were on a plane and then water starts leaking from the roof when it’s raining?

A passenger on the plane of a Nigerian aircraft was left bewildered when this happened.

The individual sent the video to Sahara Reporters, and the post was published on YouTube with the following caption:

This was sent to me by a passenger who flew Overland Airways from Abuja to Ilorin.
He shared his experience below:
“I presume it started raining shortly before our landing as we waited in the plane for the Airline staff to get us umbrellas to shelter. All of that sounds good, right? Until we discovered the plane was leaking. Please see attached photos and video.

Although it wasn’t immediately clear if the leak was from the rain or the plane’s cooling system, one thing was evident: the rate of leakage was proportional to the fluctuating intensity of the rain. At heavy intensity, the leak was pouring. When the rain subsided, it became more of a drip. In any case, the structural integrity of the aircraft is brought to question.”

1. Kim

October 8, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Weird and scary. God have mercy

2. missappleberry

October 8, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Hmmm! Chimo! I have a crazy phobia for flying and can imagine if this had happened on air at a low altitude. God please take control of Nigerian planes. Give our minister of aviation and those in charge of monitoring these aircrafts sense please dear lord! I am tired of all these stories biko. I have flown to Bauchi with Overland plane before. The planes are freaking old. Such a ticking time bomb!

• Ada

October 8, 2015 at 2:22 pm

We don’t have Aviation Minister yet…. 🙁

3. Lolz

October 8, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Yeepa! What won’t we see in Nigeria?! Na wa ooo. Do we have regulatory agencies at all in this country? This needs to be taken up ASAP

• ATL's finest

October 8, 2015 at 7:01 pm

@ LOLZ exactly! Only in my Country. Abeg we 10 much. I swear it ain’t funny, put I just couldn’t stop laughing wahala.if it was Ovearsea. He will get compensated but I don’t know about Nigeria

4. Oma d

October 8, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Rain rain go away come again another day, just let me land Abeg…..Say what? Rain kwa…aviation check no? Smh 9ja management we hail thee

5. nwa nna

October 8, 2015 at 1:31 pm

This so wrong on so many levels! I am going to assume that this leak was detected and pointed out to the airline management and yet they gave the go ahead to board the plane with passengers with zero regards to safety & human lives. This is just sad to see how low Nigeria as a nation has descended 🙁

6. Patrick

October 8, 2015 at 1:48 pm

MY GOD! MY GOD!! PLEASEOOOOOOO!!!!!

This is the height of corporate carelessness and lack of concern for human life. If it is the cabin that has a direct leak from the outside, it means that the aircraft isn’t fit to fly. This is because such tiny hole could erupt into a big tear and cause the plane to crash.

I just hope this video gets the attention of the right people in authority, especially in the aviation industry.

7. Uju

October 8, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Gosh guys – this is nothing more than condensation from the air conditioning. It happens a lot, even on first rate international airlines. I have experienced this several times. It typically is no more than a few drops and occurs only when the aircraft is stationery.

• ElessarisEllendil

October 8, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Finally!!!

The NCAA basically paraphrased Uju in the 4pm news today. Nothing mega.

8. ogeAdiro

October 8, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Five star travel. Bringing you closer to nature.

• Thatgidigirl

October 8, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Lmao!!!! I swear ????

9. beauty

October 8, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Yes, it happened and the passenger was startled and stunned but No, the passenger shouldn’t have washed Nigeria’s dirty linen in public through Sahara Reporters because now the whole world can see it on YouTube and it just adds to the numerous problems that the world knows we have. We know minute of the small problems that they have. That said, Nigeria’s attitude to everything is quite unsavory and appalling!

• Iris

October 8, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Please add your own attitude on top and join. You think they’ll fix the plane if people simply keep quiet? As for the people in the position to fix things -from corporate management to government – if they cared about what the world thought of them Nigeria would be the most developed country in the world today.

• californiabawler

October 8, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Your own attitude of condoning low standards is what has already ruined naija….#yeyedeysmell.

• Yinda

October 8, 2015 at 8:17 pm

What if the worst happened to that plane by crashing and taking people lives? What would we say as the citizens of Nigeria? The reason why inconsistencies, immoralities, injustice, and the lack of law and order occurs in Nigeria is because its citizens do not speak up. We wonder why western countries are more developed in actions and other amenities, its because the citizens are aware of their rights, so therefore that awareness allow them to speak up more. The people should not be afraid of the government, the government should afraid of the people. And here you are worried about Nigeria’s dirty linen all. If it takes the whole world to see such atrocities in Nigeria for a safer planes to fly in Nigeria, then so be it. Look at what happened to Dana Air Flight 992, what did Nigerian officials do? I was in Nigeria when that crash happened, as a matter of fact, I would have been in that flight. But I thank God that I decided not to travel. Lets be honest here, if a plane is licking, of course the plane is not in any ways in the best conditions to fly. Yet again you’re worried about Nigeria’s dirty linen. Lets start speaking up so that Nigeria will not have any dirty linen to worry about.

10. Tosin

October 8, 2015 at 3:06 pm

who’s in the mood for #millivanilli ?
    google.com/search?q=blame+it+on+the+rain

11. yinda

October 8, 2015 at 7:48 pm

I still don’t understand why people still feel comfortable in flying with Nigerian type airlines? Planes in Nigeria have proven to be flying coffin. I will rather use the bus as a means of transportation in Nigeria. Not that the bus is safe either but still I feel more comfortable with bus transportation. To be honest, no means of transportation in Nigeria is safe. However, flying in Nigeria is “no go area” for me. Please stop flying in Nigeria, SAVE YOUR LIFE and prevent your loved ones from a heart ache of a lifetime.

12. Nastygal

October 8, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Lai lai! I would have gone by bus instead. Air conditioner condensation ko, steam evaporation ni. God forbid. I would have jejely forfeited my money and taken bus to my destination. Naija! No accountability whatsoever. If everyone said they were no longer flying, they would have put them on another plane or refunded the passengers.

13. Anonymous

October 9, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Overland aircraft safe, airworthy, says NCAA
    NAN-H-16
    Aircraft
    Lagos, Oct. 8, 2015 (NAN) The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has allayed the fears of air passengers that Overland Airways’ ATR 42 aircraft was not faulty.
    Mr Sam Adurogboye, the NCAA’s Acting General Manager, Public Relations, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday in Lagos that the water dripping from aircraft during a recent flight was normal.
    NAN reports that the 23-year-old aircraft plies Abuja-Ilorin and Ilorin-Lagos routes.
    Adurogboye said the water came out from the aircraft’s compressor as a result of the plane flying low in the early hours of the rainy day.
    “It is not anything abnormal because it happens when the aircraft is being flown at a low level.
    “It is as a result of the defrosting of the cooling system just like when you switch off your refrigerator.
    “So the aircraft was not leaking water, if there was a leakage, it would come down and crash absolutely,’’ he said.
    Adurogboye said operators of the aircraft were summoned by the NCAA to also clarify the situation while a thorough examination of the aircraft was also carried out.
    He stressed the NCAA’s commitment to ensuring the safety of passengers and flights in the country. (NAN)
    ASO/MO/DA

14. nokey

October 9, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Well, this case isn’t so bad. The plane is on the ground. I was 10,000m in the air on an Arik Air flight from Luanda to Lagos when I experienced this. What then would you have done in my circumstance.

15. Oluch

October 10, 2015 at 8:06 am

And they are still talking… SMH

God help us in this country!

16. Lady Hasson

December 7, 2015 at 11:05 am

Oh God, it should be water from air coodinator