News

Biafra Updates: South-South Denounces Inclusion, SE Governors call Emergency Meeting

BellaNaija.com

Biafra mapThe agitation for Biafra is increasing, with the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB)/Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader, Ralph Uwazuruike saying he is ready to die for the cause.

As a result, state governors and ethnic group leaders are meeting to make their stances known on Biafra.

At the Conference of Ethnic Nationalities of the South-South at Uyo, Akwa Ibom state, this week, South-South leaders dissociated themselves, their ethnic groups and states from Biafra. Ethnicities represented include Ibibio, Efik, Anang, Ijaw, Itsekiri, Urhobo, Ikwerre, Oro and Isoko. They stated,

“We will not allow any inch of the land of the ethnic nationalities mentioned above and other lands of the South-South to be part of the ill-thought-out enterprise.

“We call for a halt to demonstrations for Biafra on our land henceforth as it touches on the collective sensibilities of our people and could provoke ethnic crisis.

“We are not only surprised but shocked that Igbos who returned to Nigeria after the fall of Biafra in January 15, 1970 with tales of woes and horrors can talk about Biafra.”

They added: “It is in the interest of Igbos that Nigeria is protected as they have more investments outside their homeland.”

Urhobo leaders specifically have also made it a point to denounce Biafra.

Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo state, at a South East Governors Forum (SEGF) meeting at Government House Enugu on Monday, November 17, 2015, has also called on South-East governors to have an emergency meeting in a few days, on Sunday November 22 2015.

“Attendance at the emergency meeting will include all National Assembly members, ministers from the zone and other invited stakeholders from the zone.”

The governor advised IPOB/MASSOB to continue to toe the line of peace “as this is the only way to ensure development of the zone.”

Source: Vanguard

1. nwa di mma

November 19, 2015 at 12:47 pm

*tongue out* to all them Biafran mafias. OYO is una case. I am IGBO. I AM NIGERIAN.

• usaveone.blogspot.com

November 19, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Hmmm! nice response…..i just “Love this”

2. Benson Ossai

November 19, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Not possible Ralph Uwazuruike.One Nigeria.Strength in Unity.Nigerian Forever

• Ngozi

November 19, 2015 at 1:34 pm

FOOLISH IS NOT IGBO!!! by Former Army Chief: Ihejirika

For 6 years our own occupied the offices of Deputy Senate President, Deputy Speaker, SGF, Minister of Finance /Coordinating Minister of the Nigerian Economy, Ministers of Health, Aviation, Labor, Petroleum (by Marriage), Chief of Army Staff etc yet nobody complained that the Igbos got too much of the Federal Power rations neither did your highly placed brethren improve your lot in terms of development!
      Other ethnic groups watched carefully and played their politics towards national relevance while we the Igbos got carried away and played politics of the pocket where semi-illiterate money bags charted the cause for us!
      Those who have access to Aso Rock and got fat contracts sustained the lies to hoodwink both Aso Rock Gods and the Igbos. In blind response devoid of any logical reasoning’s the Igbos put all their fragile eggs in one basket that had lost form and shape to protect them.
      As the results of those fatal errors set in the same money miss roads are now fanning the ambers of secession as their next meal ticket bargaining chip while the teaming youth they lure with money and lies risk losing everything including their lives for nothing in the end.
      Compare the Igbo TAN money bags and/or failed politicians to the likes of Aliko Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Femi Otedola who are hardly seen or heard playing partisan talk less of ethno-religious politics!
      Imagine Dangote gathering the leaders of Northerners in Lagos and imposing political party or candidate in Lagos State politics on them. Such is near impossible!
      The Igbos have allowed derogatory pocket politics to puncture their natural nobility as a people!
      With men of honour and class like Ebitu Ukaiwe, Emeka Anyaoku, Ndubisi Kanu, Ben Nwabueze and others the Igbos should have no business listening to the likes of Ifeanyi Uba (Capital Oil), Chris Uba etc any time they talk politics!
      Foolish is not IGBO!!!

3. Benson Ossai

November 19, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Ralph no start wetin u no fit finish oooh……………..No cause wahalla ooooooooh.

4. Jojo

November 19, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Rubbish. The map is also geographically wrong also. Include us out of your warped thinking

5. Rafaella

November 19, 2015 at 1:18 pm

???

LMAOOO. I knew it, that South-South States will never ever join in this Biafra stuff because they see that the only reason Biafra wants them is because of their Oil and Sea Ports.

But I want to ask something, why diddn’t they start this protest during Jonathan’s reigme? Heard that Nnamdi Kanu’s mom has joined the protest. His dad should kukuma join too. But where is his wife and kids? They are chilling in UK and group of people are here wasting the time they should use in making earns to live, daring army men with guns and tear-gas all in the name of protesting. We are still praying to God to help us wipe away Bokoharam, una come with una “PEACEFUL PROTEST”. If they give una Biafra now, una go fit manage am? Do you expect Linda Ikeji, Psquare and all these rich established Igbo people to leave their assets and then come back to their villages to start life afresh? HELL NO! Nobody is that loyal again oh.

MAKE UNA KONTINU O, GOD KNOWS MY BRAVENESS AND COURAGE NEVER REACH THE LEVEL OF COMMITTING SUICIDE. I’M AN IGBO GIRL AND PROUDLY NIGERIAN.

6. Nonye

November 19, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Let the people decide through a referendum, Then we will know who is really in support. All this demos are grandstanding. Let the agitators convince their brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers and government representatives on the benefit of pushing the Biafra agenda. I was born in the early 80s, but I don’t need another civil war to let me know the evil that war brings.
    I sincerely hope that this is not a pretext for “our turn to chop” like the militants.

7. Las

November 19, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Pandora’s box…

8. ANGELA

November 19, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Hahahahaha. I’m deading(in Jenifa’s voice)

I remembered the day I posted this that SS States can never be part of Biafra as a comment on their fb page, they started insulting me, even calling my parents all sorts of names but I no send them sha cos none of them can do that in reality.

Even when Enyeama and Emenike retired from Super Eagles, the admin of that facebook page Radio Biafra posted “Enyeama and Emenike retired b/c they are tired of the zoo Nigeria, they want Biafra” I was like when did they tell una that one na?

How can there be Biafra when the Homogenous States aren’t in Unity, you will see an Anambrarian saying “GOD FORBID THAT ANY OF MY CHILDREN SHOULD MARRY FROM IMO, ABIA, EBONYI. THEY CAN MARRY FROM ENUGU BUT NOT FROM THESE VILLAGES: NSUKKA & EZEAGU.

To those protesting, the Lord na una muscle o ??? I will just siddon dey eat my kilishi and sip my chilled zobo dey look una ??

• ElessarisEllendil

November 19, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I’ve always wondered how does “Anambrarian” sound in the mouth of you people that pronounce it?? Ndi Anambra rolls out the tongue better in my opinion, Omo Lagosi, Mutane Kano e.t.c.
      Nigerians, we must not always translate everything to English, that was how one colonised mind called Garri, ‘granular flour’.

• Steph

November 19, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Anambrarian is the correct word for someone from Anambra state.

It doesn’t sound better in your tongue maybe because you are among those that have difficulty in pronouncing the “L” and “R” words.

9. kiki

November 19, 2015 at 1:52 pm

i really feel for the agitators of biafra.
    i keep saying this,the elites are usually behind these uprising. just like when bokoharam started and the northern elites were silent about it.do no think that this is any different,dont bother justifying the reasons for beating these drums of war.
    the unemployed and poor people are used to for the protests,riots then wars.they loose their lives,their children become orphans but life goes on for the elites and their kids who are in the UK,US or canada,schooling or working and enjoying life.
    please tell me if Dr.Iweala and his wife Ngoziwould let their sons carry arms in protest,or Ekweramdu,or Cosmos Maduka or even Ogbonnaya Onu?would the children of the orji uzor kalus or ifeanyi ubahs join you in these protests?
    y’all should think before you jump headstrong into it.

10. Blessedheart

November 19, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Abeg. Make dem no include Urhobo for dis dem madness oh.

11. tilda

November 19, 2015 at 2:10 pm

to be honest Nigeria does not work as an entity I don’t believe it was created to work. its a failed state by default. its only function was to service the then colonial masters, divide and rule policies and to date to service the pockets of a corrupt leaders, With all its natural resources majority of its citizens live in poverty. Countries with half of the natural resources that Nigeria is blessed with are doing much better. If Biafra wants to break away then I say let it .they have got human resources and above all unity, I have no doubt it will be a successful entity. I really don’t understand what peoples animosity about Biafra is about.. I do hope they have got strong western allies. Nigeria has never been unity, if one tribe wants to break away I say good luck to them. That’s my honest opinion.

• hey tilda

November 19, 2015 at 3:45 pm

What makes you think Biafra will survive as an entity? What makes Biafra any different from Nigeria? The biggest challenge facing Nigeria is CORRUPTION! And that should be tackled not this irrelevant secession. Even amongst the so called Igbo leaders, there is corruption! So how on earth do you think the problem is solved by seceding?
      And then you talk about tribalism, which exists even among Igbos. The person from Anambra will prefer to give his kinsmen key positions and ignore those from Enugu, Imo etc. And on and on the same problem looms.
      Biafra is not the solution!! Period!

• mekam

November 19, 2015 at 9:35 pm

My dear you speak with wisdom, of an old soul. I too believe Actually I am 100% convinced that Nigeria was never created for the benefit of the people divided into the geographical region named Nigeria. Even the People themselves are so docile they don’t even see how they are oppressed. Recycling old thieves back into power. I left Nigeria long ago and it was the best decision I ever made.

• Simi

November 20, 2015 at 11:38 pm

It might be true that the entity called Nigeria was arbitrarily formed. But at this point, we must to the best we can with the cards dealt. How to do that is a story for another day.
      This talk of Biafra secession, though…that I can support. I foresee a new state where Igbos easily become the majority ethnic group and may attempt to marginalise other tribes. That is a recipe for disaster and will leave Nigeria with a warring neighbour to the East. Case in point – South Sudan. Freedom fight talks are all good and fine till you achieve ‘freedom’ and suddenly realize how different you are from your erstwhile comrades.

12. Daniel

November 19, 2015 at 2:17 pm

You are the boss mam.

13. Luvnaija

November 19, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Kikiki im proudly Igbo and Nigerian! Igbo kporo onwe ha asi biko. I wish they will get this biafraud ka nti nuha ihe.

• Don Cee

November 19, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Nothing like Igbo hates themselves.Problem is the north is feudal and the Igbos are republican and thats why you see northerners begging and Igbos not begging. Competition drives a system. Believe it or not, Nigeria will still break if it does not break now. Any SS/SE you see shouting one Nigeria does not know how deep into slavery he or she is.

14. c_ogochukwu

November 19, 2015 at 3:06 pm

am just praying to God that biafra war do not repeat itself becos i have a lot of families that lives in the east #godhelpus

15. manvs

November 19, 2015 at 3:11 pm

This is a serious matter. Buh I wonder why EDO was left out. I think that’s a very wise move.

16. ElessarisEllendil

November 19, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Biafra has unity……………..Is it not the Igbo people I’m part of. People are being killed in land conflicts with more than 50% of the population living outside its territory, forcing all of them into less than 25.000 km2 of territory(though if erosion continues to have its way, it will be even less), yup that’s a recipe for success and unity. Absolutely nothing could go wrong with that.

As usual, Nigerians never think more than five years into the future.

17. molarah

November 19, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Thank goodness, we hear the voice of the elders on this issue. More power and wisdom to them!

The current Biafra movement has to be the worst idea of the decade. I’m glad the voices of authority from theses sections are finally speaking out to denounce it. Abeg let’s leave all these regional agendas (for now!) and focus on how to make the institutions in this country work. Igbos have paid the biggest sacrifice for the unity of Nigeria, its simply foolhardy of them to pull out in a way that denies them from enjoying any benefits from this entity.

18. Confuzzled

November 19, 2015 at 4:25 pm

The FG would be wise to listen to the grievances of IPOB, MASSOB, etc before things escalate. Responding by alienating them, criminalizing their leader, etc was what radicalized MEND and Boko Haram. Also, the more FG agencies respond with force to peaceful protests, the more moderate Igbos (which are the majority) will sympathise with the agitators. If the FG isn’t careful, we’ll repeat our mistakes and then true chaos will ensue.

On another note, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. MEND agitated and got amnesty, scholarship programs, pipeline security contracts, NDDC, etc. Boko Haram started, and Buhari is already saying he’s willing to pay them off for killing over 100k of their own brothers and sisters, not to mention the billions of dollars in aid money that’s about to get flung at the NE. Perhaps this is the way for the masses to get their share of the national cake?

19. usaveone.blogspot.com

November 19, 2015 at 4:57 pm

We will all make Nigeria work…whether or whether-dant…..

usaveone.blogspot.com

20. tilda

November 19, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Hey there right back at ya, watsgood. you got an opinion, there’s plenty of space to write it. this ain’t twitter you don’t have to follow me. but since you asking. To me nigeria was fashioned after the cursed tower of Babel, it was never meant to succeed as a nation too many diverse interests- religion,culture,language.. It’s being a nation for how long now? you really think its gonna get better, well i wouldn’t hold my breathe. Smaller nation, smaller solvable problems Simple. Hey everyone’s got an opinion and i ain’t trying to win you over. My take, you asked.

21. Uche

November 19, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I’m Igbo and I can proudly say that the people that support Biafra are the poor jobless and unenlightened ones. Any educated, hard working Igbo man, knows that if Biafra happens, the biggest losers will be the igbo people. Just as the gentleman rightly stated. Of all the ethnic groups in Nigeria, the Igbo people have the most investments outside our land. What’s going to happen to those investments after we separate? Igbo land has very limited resources( yes south-South is NOT, Igbo land. Cry if you want, but that’s the truth). With all our money and investments gone, where will we generate the revenue to build our state? Best believe Biafra will not be a democracy, but a military dictatorship.
    ONE NIGERIA MUST STAND!!!!

22. Emeka

November 19, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Now that the price of oil has crashed, Is it not the food from north of are turning to, not region is perfect, if we put thing in the right way, there will not be problem. The igbo need to know their land is just that 5 states, you cannot force others to a battle they do not want.

23. well

November 19, 2015 at 6:40 pm

When Chude, Oby Ezekwesili n co will be talking and attending Igbo conferences in Nigeria nko?, What do you expect? I’ve never seen and Ndi Yoruba conference or Ndi Hausa conference posted on Bellanaija na only Ndi igbo. These are the issues

24. José

November 19, 2015 at 7:08 pm

For me o I am glad I left that shit hole call Nigeria when I did. I cannot blame any tribe that wants to cut its self of the gangrene nation called Nigeria. Most Nigerians have jump ship long ago, livi g in other countries. Even the useless politians send their families abroad for medical and schooling. Look at smaller Aftican nations see progress. Common Ghana of yesterday enjoy light supply. Small time Ghana will ask Nigerians for visa to enter. Mtchewwww.

• ATL's finest

November 20, 2015 at 4:18 am

Jose haha lol @ visa well come to think of it, Ghana has got one of d best medical school so I heard. But anyway, I join u jump ship long time ago.. Shit me I can’t worry about Nigerians those fighting ride on for the strength is yours.

25. sika

November 19, 2015 at 8:11 pm

I do nor think biafra is the solution. however i feel the real problem is inequality. People feel Nigeria is not doing them any good and so they want to leave to be on their own. Nigerian govt needs to have conversations with these people to try to solve their problem..the same way the did with other uprisings in the country,

Nigeria has so many tribes so situations like this where a few people are unhappy will always arise…but to call it an IGBO agenda is wrong..not every igbo supports this. This is like saying all muslims are terrorists.

Finally, all these people denouncing biafra, please stop feeling important. There is a reason there are 3 MAIN TRIBES and there is a reason you arent one of those. The south south has oil and so? they are even less developed than other states. So no one needs oil to survive. The igbos will thrive anywhere they go. Thats just a fact. I am from Benue by the way and frankly it all makes no difference to me. Nigeria is a failed state.

26. lifeisbeautiful

November 19, 2015 at 8:51 pm

I just can’t help but to feel pity for the majority of delusioned commenters on this forum. The idea of a “united Nigeria forever” should fall under sample usage for the word UTOPIA. I don’t care how educated you may be but never discredit the voice of the voiceless or the poor. If you don’t see what’s going on both here and around the world u would be foolish to believe we could all live in peace.
    We are literally on the brink of another world war. Despite what u see in the news Boko Haram is just getting stronger with support from Isis and other groups of elite. The country’s economy could possibly enter a depression if care is not taken the world is literally becoming a madhouse and things are moving way too quickly to stop or slow anything down.
    I’m not against the country remaining united im just painting a picture titled “reality.” There is so much hate against ethnic groups in this country that its just sad (read some of your comments in other such articles). These so called SE politicians don’t stand for anything. Biafran agitators are not looking for their support they are just looking for leadership. That’s all they want. Have u driven through Onitsha -Porthartcourt expressway, or the road that links enugu and awka.??? How many of those so called Igbo “leaders” at national assembly have attempted to attract any projects at all to the SE? How many SE governors have spoken out against the slaughtering of Igbos and property by Fulani herdsman recently?
    I weep for this country and the world for many of you know not what u do.

27. lifeisbeautiful

November 19, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Size is not everything too. It seems the more homogeneous a nation, the more likely the people will contribute to nation building. Pls don’t bring up America because it has a new unique history founded by migrants and built on the backs of slaves.

28. ElessarisEllendil

November 20, 2015 at 12:58 am

Steph

I was not arguing proper usage. Merely making a point on general usage of English in Nigeria. There’s no getting around the fact that ‘Anambrarian’ sounds off, especially for people like me with our ls and rs mixed up. Better, again in my opinion to combine the local dialect with English. Ndi means people, Mutane People or calling the people Adamawa(Literally meaning Adama’s people) e.t.c rather than going down the rabbit hole of Zamafaraians, Ekitians and Enuguites.

Why I used “granular flour” to give it context; sometimes local is better.

29. inibokun

November 20, 2015 at 5:14 am

Nigeria is a failed state we Nigerians know it and proclaim that fact everyday living in exiled, queuing up for visas, hitting the high seas on dangerous banana boats fleeing to other countries. I work in one of the private hospitals here, everyday these shameless nigerian leaders come here for simple check up. Spending hard currency as if they have it on tap. They even put money in envelopes and give the staff. . I just wish you guys could hear what these oyingbo say about us. It is so shameful. if they have all this money why don’t they build hospitals in their own country the simple answer is that the so called leaders do not even believe in the future of Nigeria hence they loot the country and invest else where. It is ironic that the poor delusional opressed cry one nigeria. The sad reality is that your leaders hope you believe that as they continue to bleed the country investing in other stable countries. My advise get out if you can, because right now you guys are victims of slow genocide.

30. Ebere

November 21, 2015 at 1:44 am

I am proudly Igbo, I am proudly Nigerian.It is sad that a nuisance will come from no where and try to convince the low class and uneducated to war for no reason at all. My late grandfather (97yrs) told we his grandchildren that he used to bury his children, especially the boys, so that the Biafran soldiers would not come and recruit them to war. He knew that if they got hold of his children, they might not come back alive. The tales of the war was deadly and also sad. Every tribe sometimes fight for no reason, just like the stupid boko haram members that even go as far as bombing the holy mosque. So what are they really fighting for?Nigerian can never be divided because I strongly believe that our STRENGTH is in “OUR DIVERSITY”……..

31. nnenne

November 21, 2015 at 5:23 am

Am glad dialogue is beginning to take place,
    It wrong to just assume that there is no cause for alarm. Never assume!!!
    Begin with dialogue and take it from there.
    You must dig before bury someone.
    Am all for one better Nigeria for ALL not just the majority.

32. uchenna

November 21, 2015 at 8:05 am

Please o agitators of biafra make una no come spoil my market oh. I don’t care if Buhari collude with boko haram and turn Nigeria to caliphate, I can still wear hijab and make money. Nigeria is not the only country suffering from corruption and tribalism. Tribalism respects money. I employ different tribes they respect me. Even if you dont have money war will make you worse. Therefore i say one Naija.

• inibokun

November 21, 2015 at 1:56 pm

And there you have it. Survival mode fully activated. LMAO.

• tayo

November 21, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Typical igbo man sentiment. Notting must come between them and their money. You people can never unite for a common good cause. Igbo people are to selfish for that.

33. mabel

November 21, 2015 at 6:15 pm

But that is the issue. No need for war. A referendum will do a better job at separating. Just vote if you want to stay or not. No need for war. We’ve gone past that abeg. Everytime war war war make I hear word jor. The world will soon come to an end sef. Which one is you don’t care if Nigeria becomes a caliphate? If you don’t care, I care @ Uchenna. Na so isis take start with people talking foolishly like these. Naem you no go Borno go join BH? Nonsense.

34. Velos

February 14, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Anyone who says south south are not Biafrans is not but punch of illiterate or be he benefits from this mistake called Nigeria

anyway the have spoken there opinion — the citizens will decide through referendum–

this people are so ignorant to the extent that the forget that the south south is made up of 75% igbo speaking biafrans —– the ikwerres he mentioned are hardcore igbos, the aniocha igbos and the rest —

even without the s/S ——the s/e can still make a better Biafra there 3 oil producing state there –Imo and abia and anambra

the can go if the dont want bawahala –all we want is Biafra