Style

Wow…TY Bello has chopped off her Signature Afro – See her New Look!

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

TY Bello

TY Bello

Ace photographer and musician TY Bello has cut off her signature afro!

Yes – the hair that constantly gave us #HairGoals.

TY Bello Signature FroShe showed off the new look on Instagram and also explained why she decided to do the big chop.

She wrote:

THE BARBERS SEAT:The first time I cut my hair was when I was nine. I had been giving my mum hell on sunday evenings when it was time to get it woven for school. She just decided to put an end to my nonsense and took me to Baba Barber in Obalende.

I remember being strapped to his squeaky old ,reclined metal and torn brown leatherchair … It must have taken four adults to hold me down .

I can never forget.. How can I ? Baba gave me the full treatment . He was determined to impress my mother . He not only shaved off all my hair .. He took off every strand that lined my face and replaced it with a sharp concave line from ear to ear with his manual rusty clippers .. I was devastated . I walked into class the next day greeted with what sounded like a silent but long eeeeeeew from every one.

The experience marred me.. I’ve seen baba in a few nightmares attempting to dispossess me of my Afro . So imagine my horror when my hair started dramatically falling out two months after my boys were born.

I was deluded by someone who told me I was lucky to be carrying boys as ‘boys don’t take you hair away ‘ they give you even more .. She was right.. Initially at least ..Never had better hair than when I was pregnant .. So slowly but surely Baba barber was beckoning another visit .. But I decided that this time around ..it was going to be on my own terms .. I was going to love my scalp back to a happy place and then cut hair myself when the time was right … Just to start over.

Today was that day ..a shoot didn’t happen so I had a lil time in my hands I chopped it all off.. ?Not with old rusty clippers but my own scissors ..It makes me look even more like my mum..

So will I be missing my big fro?Absolutely!!But then again ..I’m a Nigerian woman in 2015 and I watch YouTube ?I know a thousand ways to get that baby bouncing in air again ..In a heartbeat .. I’ll just have fun with this in the mean time.I think I did better than baba barber tho. #bigchop #freshstart photographed by @riasolanke at the studio.

Do you love her new look?

Photo Credit: Instagram – @tybello

1. kachi

November 24, 2015 at 7:54 am

Awww!! Here i was about to criticize her for chopping off her gorgeous mane and then I read the story. I’ve been there and you’re right it will grow back. At least you took it off on your own terms.

• Surely

November 28, 2015 at 12:41 pm

But TY needs to be honest… She often wore wigs… We want receipts girl

2. lola

November 24, 2015 at 8:18 am

I don’t like her new look joor but she is still beautiful.

3. Ese

November 24, 2015 at 8:31 am

I’m crying :'( …I know this new look will fit her and she will Rock it but……….nooooooooooo!!!!

4. DD

November 24, 2015 at 8:32 am

She looks great! The fro will grow back, for now she should enjoy the ease of short hair.

5. kaeto

November 24, 2015 at 8:38 am

that’s the spirit.

6. d

November 24, 2015 at 8:55 am

Had to chop mine off too after my baby was born…

7. Thatgidigirl

November 24, 2015 at 9:03 am

Oh my! Look at that hair line. I’ve been natural for a year now and my hair is just about the same length as hers in the pic, I don’t know if that’s progress. It’s so frustrating sometimes cos I constantly have to tame it with braids and weaves. If I can’t at least “pineapple” the hair by January I’m going back to my pixie cut, cos what’s the point if I can’t rock my real hair….something I did all the time when my hair was relaxed. Any ideas pls on how to soften really tough and tangly natural hair would be appreciated. On the flip side, my edges are forming a new type of friendship with my face 🙂

• Layo

November 24, 2015 at 3:02 pm

My natural hair is really hard too, I tried many things. Now I whip up Mango Butter which I get from Jumia, alongside Purified Water and Coconut Oil, and essential oils; I really whip it well with my mixer. My hair has become really soft and manageable compared to the way it was before since I started using the mix in my hair. My natural hair has always been long, I only hard an issue with it being hard, now I’m pleased. I also get weave and occasionally braid (not all the time though).

8. i no send

November 24, 2015 at 9:13 am

hmm..i thought the fro was a wig

• Tari

November 24, 2015 at 12:05 pm

I thought I heard her same the same in the past.

• Olu

November 24, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Me tooo, i heard her say she had pieces in there at one time. Hian

9. zeal

November 24, 2015 at 9:39 am

*sad*

10. Adwoa

November 24, 2015 at 11:02 am

Bellanaija, a before picture is needed so we can appreciate the transformation. Remember not all your readers are Nigerians and so may not know who TY Bello is.
    Thank you.

• iyke

November 24, 2015 at 12:47 pm

ARE YOU FROM BANTU?

• Erika

November 24, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Lol, you are so mean.

11. Goodgirl

November 24, 2015 at 11:32 am

But she said in an interview that it was a weave now! that1960chick.com/2011/05/17/mane-attraction-ty-bello-reveals-hair-secrets-is-it-a-weave-or-not/

12. Why-you-lying

November 24, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Its extensions she wears on her head now, which one is the big chop. Abi u mean let me rock my own natural hair for now.

13. Facts.

November 24, 2015 at 2:49 pm

TY Bello said in an interview I read that Kinky Curls by Sleek is the weave she uses. See the quote from her found on that1960chick.com/2011/05/17/mane-attraction-ty-bello-reveals-hair-secrets-is-it-a-weave-or-not/:

“I was doing my usual blog troll this morning and spotted over at Fancy Hub that TY had revealed the secrets to the most lusted-after mane in the industry, on twitter. So for those that wants a lucious mane like TY’s…check on her hair secrets after the jump

TY:
    “Its taken me a couple of years of practice with natural hair texture to figure out what works for my hair.
    I have natural hair and texturise very lightly though, because I start to have my hair break once my texturised curl pattern is different from that of my natural growth.
    A few years ago, Banke Meshida introduced me to kinky curly, so I use the whole range.
    I love my own hair, but work has me on the move all the time and I find that unless its twisted ,my natural hair tends to revert with naija humidity.. So my sisters.. I’ve learnt to love my weave.
    A good weave that blends flawlessly with natural hair is … Sleek afro cool curl. You can get it at their stores in lagos. Ify Ugochukwu kept me stocked with those babies for years. Its really versatile so I blow dry and twist for a more natural finish.
    My motto for weaves though, is to make sure its as close to your hair as possible. If any one has to ask, ”What weave is that ?” Then you’ve failed. “

14. Mayy

November 24, 2015 at 3:05 pm

I watched an interview where she said it was a weave, end mentioned that the stylist even messed up the style which later became a trademark. This post is all sorts of confusing.

15. Nne

November 24, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Nigerians like to make announce everything and seek adulation and validation…it’s mind boggling to watch..she is the same person that stated it was a weave…please enough of this shallowness nija ppl…

16. Sadia

November 24, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Im # teamnatural but oh my God it hasn’t been an easy journey…. First my hair is sooo hard like combing rocks????thats not even the major issue, my hair is super stretchy,it doesn’t grow out,it has this funky way of growing,you’ll only know how long the hair truly is by pulling it out.if you dont do thay you ll think my hair doesnt grow.
    Somebody Please recommend a really good ,relatable natural hair blog to me pls

17. tT

November 25, 2015 at 3:34 am

TY you look beautiful any which way.
    tempttations.com

18. jhennique

November 25, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Anyons that knows TY knows that she has hair. She has like a truck load full of hair. Look at her hairline. She blends in a weave to save time esp cos of her job so she doesnt have to handle her hair everyday but dear sisters, she does have hair. The kind that will make you burn with envy