Style

Yewande Thorpe: Say Goodbye to Your Skin & Hair Woes! 6 Uses of Tumeric No One Told You About

BN Beauty Tumeric - BellaNaija - November 2015

Have you heard of the plant called Turmeric? If you’re a fan of Indian food like me, then chances are you’ve tasted it in a dish or two, but if not, then let me introduce you.

This plant grows wildly in South& South East Asia and has been used for thousands of years in Asia as a cooking spice and even for medicinal purposes.

If you’re a fan of Indian food like me, you may or may not have heard of the plant called turmeric. that grows wildly in South & South East Asia. It has been used for thousands of years in Asia as a cooking spice and even for medicinal purposes.

However, we are not focusing on curry today 0 instead I will be sharing some of the powerful beauty powers of turmeric with you that you may not already know; and how you can incorporate it into your beauty regime.

Check them out!

1. As an acne treatment
Acne sometimes develops as a result of dirt and bacteria clogging up the pores of your skin. Turmeric possesses very strong antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help fight breakouts.

To help clear acne, mix turmeric with coconut oil to form a paste and then apply on acne patches only, not on the entire face. Allow to sit for 15 minutes then rinse off. Do this for a few days monitoring improvements and you go along.

2. To manage oily skin
When you have oily skin, it is usually as a result as the skin’s sebaceous glands producing too much oil. One of the strengths of turmeric is that it can help regulate the production of oil production, which will ultimately lead to you saying goodbye to oily skin.

3. For hyperpigmentation
If you struggle with dark patches and spots on your skin, turmeric is a natural product that can help fix this problem.

All you have to do is combine it with a bit of fresh lemon juice, then apply the mixture to the affected areas. Leave on for 15 minutes and the rinse off. To see any results, you will have to be consistent with the application.

4. To rid your hair of dandruff
Remember how I said turmeric has antiseptic and antibacterial powers? Well, it provides amazing benefits for the hair as well. If you suffer from dandruff, apply a mixture of turmeric and any good oil such as Olive or Coconut to your hair, leave on for 15 minutes, rinse off and then follow with shampoo. You’ll see great results in no time!

5. For cracked heels
The turmeric/oil combination is actually very diverse. One of its uses is for cracked heels. The turmeric-oil paste helps exfoliate dead skin cells around the heel to reveal new skin. Just be sure to wash off properly in the shower as turmeric stains easily.

6. As a face mask
This is my absolute favorite use of turmeric powder. It’s an inexpensive yet effective way to deep cleanse your skin on a weekly basis.

Below are some simple turmeric masks;

– Turmeric, Oats flour, Honey & Milk mask to exfoliate and brighten the skin.
 Turmeric, Avocado & plain Yoghurt mask for dry skin.
 Turmeric, Lemon Juice & plain Yoghurt for oily skin.
 Turmeric, Oats flour and Egg Whites to tighten the skin.

All you need to do for the masks is mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder with the other ingredients till it forms a paste. Apply to the face and neck and leave on for 15-20 minutes then rinse off with cool water. Easy!

***

Turmeric has become a staple in my home. I mean, if it can add great flavor to my meals and ALSO make me look fabulous, why not. Here’s a bonus non beauty-related tip: For that gorgeous yellow fried rice color, add a teaspoon of turmeric. You’re welcome!

Share what you use Turmeric for and if you’re willing to try my suggestions.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime/Monika Wisniewska

Yewande Thorpe is a Digital Communications expert working for an MNC in Nigeria. Outside of her professional life, Yewande owns and manages one of the foremost beauty blogs in Nigeria, www.shelovesthefinerthings.com where she focuses primarily on sharing her knowledge of beauty and skincare as it concerns the African woman. Her scope sometimes broadens into fashion, food and travel because they are indeed some of life's finer things. Connect with her on Instagram @shelovesthefinerthings and Twitter @SLTFT_Blog

1. tannie

November 18, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I’ve heard somuch aout this plant, please where can I buy it. I stay in Ph

• Boladale

November 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm

You can see it in the open market, or those people that sells herbs – native doctor

• jhennique

November 18, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Go to SPAR. Tehir spices aisle

• jhennique

November 18, 2015 at 4:05 pm

*Their

2. omoge

November 18, 2015 at 1:27 pm

this turmeric can leave everlasting stain on your clothes. Aunt Yewande, u didn’t say that one o

3. jhennique

November 18, 2015 at 1:33 pm

I an a tumeric ambassador. Tumeric everything! As a tea, in boilng meat, cooking, skin conditions, errything! But u wanna be careful using it on your skin. It stains yellow and is hard to wash out of fabric. Plus it takes several rinsings and wipings to get it off the face. Mind you, Avoid your hairline and do not use your towel to wipe your face right after washing off. Also best to do it at night before bed cos that yellow hue might not be completely gone till after the morning wash depending on your mask mix, but in all its a miracle worker and worth the try

4. Me

November 18, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Tumeric is not for sensitive skins ,

• AHausaChickInToronto

November 18, 2015 at 3:37 pm

I have the most sensitive of skins. And I used turmeric powder and fresh lemon juice to get rid of my dark circles. The Maximum it stayed on my face for was 20 minutes though

• Dee

November 18, 2015 at 8:58 pm

If your skin is as sensitive as you claim, the fresh lemon juice will irritate it because of its acidity. So it really isn’t that sensitive

5. Yanmbeyanmbe

November 18, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Its available and cheap in Jos, its a root. I asked the Lady I buy from where she get it from but she refused to tell me, however she granted me permission to give you her no. Call 08o57447944.

6. Anon

November 18, 2015 at 2:59 pm

I take it in the tablet form. That solves all things.

• Blesyn

November 18, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Pls where can iget the tablet form in Lagos and what is the pharmaceutical name.

• AHausaChickInToronto

November 18, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Although research has shown that tumeric possesses anti-cancer properties, it has still not yet gotten into the pharma world. For now we only eat it as a spice in our indomie or chicken tikka masala 🙂

• AHausaChickInToronto

November 18, 2015 at 5:14 pm

I would not recommend the natural health care ones, because I am a victim of severe hair loss as a result of ingesting the natural health care ones. Stick with the one used in cooking ok

• Anon

November 19, 2015 at 12:19 am

Don’t know where in Lagos. I buy it from Holland and Barrett. It’s called Turmeric tablets.

7. Ocean Beauty

November 18, 2015 at 4:09 pm

You can get tumeric powder from Park n Shop or Spar.

8. NaijaLikita

November 18, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Love it, but don’t go overboard if you are pregnant. A few studies have linked it to miscarriages when you don’t use it as a seasoning for food. So no capsules or eating the root during those moments

9. Adaeze Writes

November 18, 2015 at 5:55 pm

I have used Tumeric before and it’s amazing! The only thing is, it stains badly and you have to be careful while using it. I will definitely use it again as it is very good for the skin!

10. Dr N

November 18, 2015 at 6:57 pm

I can attest to its efficacy, tried all sorts of expensive cream for my spot ridden face but to no avail even ones prescribed by my dermatologist showed little effect and I was really taking care of my skin.O,drinking loads of water,diligently washing off my makeup every night but for where ,I was constantly having a break out like no man’s business and my black spots were ever so pronounced on my face. being that I am fair,it made my face have an uneven complexion.
    An Indian colleague of mine gave me her home tested facial scrub remedy and within 2 months of religiously using it as a facial scrub twice a week ,my face is just like a newborn baby everyone is so amazed like it’s so unbelievable and unreal.I haven’t had breakout in like 2 months for first time ever and my face is just glowing I have gone to work without make up.it’s that gd.
    It’s a combination of a teaspoon each of turmeric,rice flour,gram flour,honey and fresh milk.leave for 10 to 15 mind and thoroughly wash off.Try it guys and thank me later.

11. sass

November 18, 2015 at 9:37 pm

It wouldn’t hurt to relate ds to nigeria. It is not just found in Asia but it is also a local herb in nigeria. Yorubas call it ata ile. It is important to do research properly so it can be more educative. It looks alot like ginger but it is very orange in colour.

• Joie

November 19, 2015 at 2:49 pm

I think you meant Ata ile pupa, bcos Ginger is actually called Ata ile.

12. Anie

November 20, 2015 at 2:59 am

Tumeric is the type of ginger mostly grown in the eastern part of Nigeria. Contact: 08166243282 for your very own tumeric powder