News

No to #BodyShaming! Agbani responds to Fan’s “Gain Weight” Advise

BellaNaija.com

It’s obvious to many that calling out an overweight person is politically incorrect but what about slim people? We regularly see comments online telling slim women to “gain weight”. Beauty Queen/Entrepreneur Agbani Darego responded to a fan who made a similar statement on instagram.

See their exchange below.
Instagram photo by Agbani Darego • Nov 29 2015 at 1 09 PM copy

Miss World 2001 Agbani followed up with this post and message for body shamers.
Agbani Body Shaming
I LOVE and appreciate the female form in every shape. You don’t have to like my body, I have enough LOVE for my “skinny ass” and that’s all that matters to me. #BODYSHAMING is not okay!

Well said.

1. Tina

December 1, 2015 at 9:25 am

She is lovely, don’t think she’s the kind that would look good with weight. Everybody has a body type that suits them.

• Nice comment

December 1, 2015 at 12:57 pm

She was once THE MOST BEUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD; SHE IS STILL ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL…
      The commentator is also very decent to have apologised!

BLESS THEM BOTH*

2. Segi

December 1, 2015 at 10:00 am

Huh. Agbani represents a beauty image Young girls aspire to, due to her participation and winning of the Miss World. Commenting on her struggle to stay Skinny – in order to still maintain that beauty Queen image – isn’t body shaming but showing concern. There is a different between being slim and bother line Skinny starvation. Sweetie you’re 32 going on 33, your current weight in ration to your height does not appear healthy. At the end of the day, it’s your body and your life, you have the right to do whatever you deem fit to it. But do know; for the teeming fans who look up to you, you’re sending a body esteem message!

• Chinel

December 1, 2015 at 10:17 am

What rubbish? are you are Doctor,Nutritionist or Dietitian? Micheal Jackson lived to please ‘Fans’ see where it got him. Besides some of us love her just the way she is. You can’t please everybody. Please take several seats abeg.

• iyke

December 1, 2015 at 10:38 am

AND YOU ARE HER DOCTOR?

• Nice comment

December 1, 2015 at 12:58 pm

THAT’S HER NORMAL SIZE… leave her alone!

• matilda

December 1, 2015 at 3:28 pm

wait wait waittttt…. wollop!!! I’m sorry o, but are you trying to say that because of her fans she should eat stuff she probably doesn’t like and give up her exercises and other stuff she loves doing so she can gain weight? … to make other people happy?… and probably be sad when she looks in the mirror????? I’m confused biko, hep me out!

Look, to each his own, if as a ‘fan’, you do ridiculous things to be skinny like her then that’s on you, not on the person you are trying to emulate. be happy with yourself and we wont have all these problems.

Personally I’m HAPPY when I’m slim, with no love handles and friends, not because anyone is slim but I’m genuinely happy and feel very comfortable in clothes. Likewise, my best friend is plus size and LOVES her body, she actively eats at night and eats junk too so she can ‘maintain her figure’…. so please, slim people have the right to be happy about their size abeg!!

3. zeal

December 1, 2015 at 10:03 am

I just taya for some of una o, hian!. If I am correct, Agbani is the only slim person amongst her siblings so if she wan fat or add weight, it should not be that difficult but she has decided to not do that because she loves herself the way she is, so in view of this, can we all just pleaseeeeeeeee like her the way she is. Haba! you fat dem go talk, you thin dem go talk. Some of una get serious issues sha

4. zi

December 1, 2015 at 10:05 am

Agbani that single handedly added a word to the Naija vocabulary..”Nne you’re now an Agbani”?…Dont listen to them ma.people will forever be rude on social media.smh

5. Dolapo

December 1, 2015 at 10:39 am

I don’t understand this body shaming thingy that people now hide under the guise of. Are we now saying if my sister/brother/relative/friend/someone I like is looking unhealthy either because they are over-weight or skinny, I should just keep quiet? I would prefer if someone tells me whenever I look unhealthy anyway, instead of the person try to be politically correct.

6. RIFF RAFF

December 1, 2015 at 10:39 am

Showing concern is now synonymous to shaming, wow…She’s always been slim since her Miss World days, every one knows that. She even looked lovely and healthy , but here her head looks actually big for her body, hence the concern. BN please show us the whole portrait, u will see what i mean, why show her half way? Fulanis are way slimmer than this, who is shaming them? No one, cos they are built this way genetically. , Nobody is shaming her, abeg make she calm down. In some pictures, her face even looks like it’s been pulled.
    Is it today that we know models are body freaks and will do anything to maintain a certain body shape? I’m not saying this is her case, but here she looks kinda sickly.

7. Laila

December 1, 2015 at 10:40 am

@Segi, pls get a life. I am 40 with 3 kids and I eat like a hog, yet I am just like Aganni. Its no aapiration. Cant wear iro and buba, cant boogie to shaky-bum-bum songs at owambes, I lived thru watching all my babies faces light up when fat people carry them like “woweee….!!! boobs!!!!. I’m hip happy and very content, my kids are grown and luv me to pieces, bones and all, the only mummy who out races them and scores in football. Let concerned fans focus on Agbani’s achievements biko. Love it of leave, na she get her bodi.

8. Laila

December 1, 2015 at 10:42 am

*love it or leave it*, sorry for the typos, lol!

9. JEDDYLUV

December 1, 2015 at 10:49 am

D FAN APOLOGIZED ALREADY.SHE WAS MERELY SHOWING SOME INNOCENT CONCERN.

10. Agbani ko

December 1, 2015 at 10:50 am

Just talk about “body” then you see a lady’s evil side
    whether you mean it out of love, out of hatred, out of concern or jokingly.
    You will see her ancestor’s anger coming out of her

Its not that deep! That fan meant well/good.
    I see no bad intentions in that.

The silly fan still apologizing as if she dey feed you or shes anybody to you.

You people be worshiping and praising fellow humans who don’t deserve follower-ship. Agabni thank your stars say people like that dey follow you, you are a no body, not better than the fan. so shut it!

• whocares

December 1, 2015 at 11:03 am

@ “talk about body and you see a lady’s evil side”… That is the only thing about your comment I agree with. The rest is unnecessarily vitriolic. The other day a certain somebody said I am “getting thick but in a good way”. eeehhh someone’s mother almost lost her son o. My first reply was “now I’m fat?” even though the rational part of my brain noted the absence of the word fat in the sentence. Still., I took offence until I got an explanation that mollified my vanity and boy did it take at least 4 minutes for him to get it right. lool…. Point is, people should leave people be. Agbani does not have the bone structure to be big that much is obvious. And even if she did but she is still small, so what. Are we her dietician or doctor that knows that she is unwell or not? I have learnt to just leave people be especially if they are not my family members or friends. With them I can intervene if it seems like a genuine issue and the only way I can know that is because I see them enough and interact with them enough to know when they have a problem. We do not know these people like that.. So lets us all paddle our canoes dress to suit our shapes. simples.

11. O~Intuition!

December 1, 2015 at 11:00 am

“Sweetie you’re 32 going on 33, your current weight in ration to your height does not appear healthy.”

Ma’m/Sir, Please What are the numerical value of her weight and height that makes you think she is unhealthy? Are you her Doctor or Health Assitant?…I am sure you have no idea.
    You simply look at an individual then feel the compulsion to give a stereotypal summary of their life.

• Tiwo

December 1, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Thank you for addressing this comment…Do they even know her Body Mass Index?

12. jess

December 1, 2015 at 11:26 am

unsolicited advice.If we all mind our business half of our problems will be solved. Unless you have a close relationship with someone you have no right to offer your so called concerned opinion about their weight. Just keep it moving.

13. Somtoo

December 1, 2015 at 12:25 pm

To be honest, i saw the full length of the picture and i was a little concerned but I dont know the chic from Adam, i dont know her struggles, i dont know if she is actually eating healthy but cant seem to gain any weight (this struggle i can understand) so of course im not gonna write something on her wall asking her to add weight.

I absolutely love Agani cos she is very beautiful and private but im not gonna pretend, there was something off about that picture and it certainly triggered the fan to say something.

Lesson for the day, mind ya business and keep ya opinions to yourself if unsolicited.
    Bella Naija gave me a platform to air mine so i am doing so.Lol

• Somtoo

December 1, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Agbani’ lol

14. Brightstar

December 1, 2015 at 1:09 pm

I just got that
    inspiration, people talk me the same. But NO TO BODY SHAMING

15. Bess

December 1, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Agbani skinny look doesnt healthy QED!…She knows it which made her react that way. Ezinne Akudo is as skinny as Agbani, Oluchi is as skinny if not more as Agbani, Kate henshaw is as skinny as agbani…even Genevieve sef is undergoing the skinny process, yet dis ppl dont look somehow with their skinny look.

16. Iris

December 1, 2015 at 1:44 pm

What cracked me up was the ‘fan’s’ response. They know how to dish out cruel words without thinking and then when you respond they’ll say ‘O I didn’t mean it like that.’ I’m sorry but that excuse won’t always fly, whether or not it is true. I see it on this blog too. Someone will say something unnecessarily insulting about a celebrity. When another person comes for them the response will be ‘Why are you attacking me? I’m entitled to my opinion.’ It is true. You are. Just know that just as your opinion involves insulting someone, you cannot be offended when another person’s opinion involves insulting you.

17. Dum

December 1, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Like!! ! Even skinny petite girls get hurt when you scream go and add weight.. see your neck… see your long neck. Just sharrap and let us be! We can’t add weight…… deal with it and let us be…. calling us lepa is same as calling others orobo… I am done ranting ?

18. Nopenope

December 1, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I won’t judge anyone for being fat or skinny Because I know the struggle, there is nothing have not done to add weight but its not coming chai, it got to a point that am like ” I can’t kill myself ” I feel hurt when people tell me to eat,, am like shut up u don’t know what am going through do u?you can eat just one meal a day n still have body but its not like am not trying. God save me from this struggle

19. Idomagirl

December 1, 2015 at 10:29 pm

The same “you’re too skinny gain weight” crowd go be the first to complain if you fat. Can’t win with humans….