News

Konga announces Restructuring

Konga_LogoNigeria’s largest online mall, Konga.com, has announced a restructuring exercise which will result in an increase in its business optimization and organizational effectiveness.

In an official statement by the company on the development, it was revealed that the exercise will enable Konga.com to run more efficiently as it positions itself for the future. The exercise would however result in the layoff of a small fraction of its workforce, about 80 of its employee base of over 800 individuals would be impacted.

It went on to say, “With this restructuring and by taking advantage of new innovations and upcoming retail opportunities in the market space, we are optimistic that we are on the path to grow an even healthier and more sustainable business, whilst delivering best-in-class service to our customers. The decision to restructure and realign our company’s focus to be more agile in the prevailing local economic conditions is not one that was taken lightly. For the affected employees, Konga will be offering reasonable severance packages and will be willing to give them future opportunities for employment in the company where their competencies match.”

Konga has been on the forefront of e-commerce and retail trade in Nigeria and by extension, Africa – with the introduction of innovative programs and retail strategies aimed at improvements in overall customer satisfaction with the online shopping experience.

Some of the major accomplishments of the ecommerce business in the last year include the expansion of its ‘Seller HQ’ platform to allow merchants across Nigeria reach a larger customer base on konga.com. With the expanded marketplace, konga significantly increased the range of options available to online shoppers. The company also launched KongaPay, a secure innovative payment solution that allows customers to perform one-click payments for their transactions.

Konga has consistently demonstrated its commitment to human capital development and the promotion of job satisfaction for its employees. This has been recognized with Konga listed as one of the best places to work in Nigeria at the 2015 Great Place to Work in Nigeria (GPTWN) Awards. It was the only indigenous company in the e-commerce sub-sector to be so recognized alongside top blue-chip multinational companies, barely 3 years after it commenced business operations in Nigeria.

In 2015, Ventures Africa Magazine also listed the company as one of the Top 10 companies young people prefer to work in.

1. Meah

January 15, 2016 at 3:50 pm

??????

2. prince

January 15, 2016 at 4:47 pm

They should learn from Jumia. when you order on Jumia, it takes maximum 3days to deliver to me that lives in Abuja and their delivery charge is max N500 for fashion items, Konga takes more than 5days, charges 1,500 for one shoe. that’s preposterous

• ElessarisElendil

January 16, 2016 at 1:07 am

They’re ways to get it from Amazon in 4………….cheaper too. Sorry but until Konga and Jumai learn to compete in a GLOBAL market no amount of catchy jingles is making me use them.

I absolutely love that Jumai song though.

3. @edDREAMZ

January 15, 2016 at 4:52 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Ok…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

4. Sandra

January 15, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Konga is offering absolutely no severance packages to the affected staff! The individuals being layed off are being treated like employees who have committed fraud! They received no prior notification they would be layed off, not even 1 day! They were told on the day they were being layed off that their unemployment was effective immediately and were to pack up and leave the office premises immediately. They would only be receiving pay for the amount of DAYS they have worked, which means they will not receive a full month’s salary. Among the employees who have been layed off are two pregnant ladies.

While restructuring is a part of business and laying off staff is not always avoidable, Konga should have the decency to treat staff who have been with them for the better part of 2 years with respect. Standard procedure is to give at least 2 weeks notice with severance pay.

Makes one wonder what exactly the HR team’s job is at Konga and where they were when this sort of decision was taken and carried out.

The sad thing is they will get away with this because “This is Nigeria”

• Na wa

January 15, 2016 at 8:22 pm

And they have the nerve to claim “Great Place to Work in Nigeria 2015” whilst not treating their employees right. Konga, learn to TREAT people right. All this rubbish can only happen in Nigeria where labor laws are lax. This era will soon end.

• Anon

January 15, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Spreading false information, which you are doing, is even worse. Please verify your information before spreading fallacy, even if this is Nigeria

• Alice

January 16, 2016 at 4:21 am

Are you Konga HR???

• maka

January 16, 2016 at 9:32 am

U beta go get ur fact right, konga is no standard work place at all, they take advantage of staff alot. I mean for any compaby that hiring and firing in 70% high i do not advicr anyone to resign his job fr such firm. I regreted my actions too as i was a victim.

• Nazri

January 16, 2016 at 10:03 am

Kindly clarify what information is false??

• Ibro

January 18, 2016 at 11:05 am

This is a lie Sandra whomever fed you this information and it is wrong to spread misinformation such as this.

5. Great Lady

January 15, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Maybe this will make them sit up, cos their services these days have being useless. Konga is a very inconsistent company. I ordered a sandals and instead they sent me a slippers. The item is still undergoing return after more than 2 weeks. Meanwhile they’re still owing me 3k.

6. The real D

January 15, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Ok, I just want to make one thing clear. No company gives you “prior warning” BEFORE laying you off. You know it when they call you into a room and tell you to carry your goods and see you to the door. So that’s pretty normal. I do.not work for Konga and I do not know any one working for Konga. But that’s normal HR protocol.

• Alice

January 16, 2016 at 4:23 am

When it happens to you, shouldn’t be an issue then since it is NORMAL.

• The real D

January 16, 2016 at 8:57 pm

@ Alice since i have been laid off twice in my life time and due to the current market conditions in the oil and gas industry as recently as August 2015, yes i can say it is NORMAL and regular HR protocol not to receive prior notice and No I don’t work for a Nigerian company neither do i work in Nigeria
      @ Na Wa, I never excused the lack of payment of the affected parties of their severance package, if you can read you will see i never mentioned or in anyway indicate that not paying them was in anyway ok. I only addressed a particular issue. Go back and read my comment.

I usually never respond to ridiculous statements but i think it is high time we start learning from other’s experiences. I am simply educating the person that complained about lack of prior knowledge that it is pretty normal, my point is if you are going to ask your boss for something you can’t go making ridiculous requests, you will come across as ignorant. learn to read, educate yourself and move [email protected] Alice, no need trying to curse me or anyone else for sharing their knowledge because your curse will turn around and bite you in your behind. Read, learn, make changes if need be and move on. If you feel too pained to learn from others then please safe your silly comments

• Na wa

January 16, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Doesn’t mean staff should not be paid a severance or redundancy package which is clearly the case here. Let’s stop excusing something which is plain wrong, these folks have families and even if they didn’t it is the right thing to do,

• Different Shades of Nigerian

January 17, 2016 at 4:20 am

You are absolutely right @Real D. I worked for a Fortune 100 company and when you are laid off, you dont even get to close your laptop. You are walked off the building and you come back later to pick your things (which would have been nicely packed in a box and dropped off with security). Severance pay should be paid and the custom is one month salary x the no of years you have worked with the company (I am not sure what the law is in Nigeria). It hurts to be laid off and nobody prays for such but that is what you get when you work for others. I can never over emphasize the need to have a side hustle, everyone is replaceable at work.

7. Omo oba

January 16, 2016 at 6:24 am

This is not the right way to reward staff that has stayed with them for more than 2 years. No gain saying that the the monthly income of the VPs, CXOs etc is more than N1.5m monthly while the staff laid off are the ones collecting less than 100k. (Anyone can challenge me on this- a reasonable person Please).We are talking about a ratio of 1:15 here sending this poor people home helplessly some of them are trying to make ends meet. Some of them just got married. I understand that it is normal for companies to cut down staff at some point to balance the financial system a little it happened in big organizations like MTN, Fidelity Bank who even closed some of their branches completely. but they need to prioritize and know who to lay off first. Those guys are just there taking coffee everyday while those poor workers running the whole thing. Honestly Konga need to learn how to treat their staff well because they are the greatest asset they have. I will add more comments if anyone challenges me. I have my facts.

8. Omo oba

January 16, 2016 at 6:29 am

I am so disappointed in Bella Naija that is trying to pamper this situation by hyping Konga for their small acheivements. Get to know about the acheivements of youngest Yudala who is currently making waves in the e-commerce sector or the Almighty Jumia that in more than 11 countries of the world including Ghana, Egypt Cameroon. I begggiiiii Bella

9. Angy

January 16, 2016 at 11:28 am

@Anon no be lie. I don’t know what you re saying am guessing u were not part of the people that got lay off. Everything Sandra said is true they claimed they were paying 2mnths salary which was a big lie in fact the little money they gave they still took large fraction of it for tax. I was affected they treated us like nothing but anyway God dey and we will survive

10. o

January 16, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Their returns sucks!!! Customer service ZERO!!! sorry to all the affected staff but Konga needs to get its act right!!!

11. Maud

January 16, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Omo oba, intelligently spoken though people with higher salaries got cut and other staff suggested a pay cut across board but the CEO openly said it will not be considered. This story is a paid story that is on every partner blog out there. I worked in KONGA for over three years . Konga was like my personal business. I was so passionate and a high performer. The lay offs were not based on performance cos i was always in the 80%+ when it came to appraisals. I was politically incorrect to question things and so my name was added to the list on Thursday morning . I was laid off on Friday. So I thought to myself; almost four years of my life ,call decided in less than few hours. Its normal for Konga to put out a nice face-saving article like this but the layoff system was very subjective and political. Heads of units were told to submit makes….period. There was not much strategy to it. They kept giving people up till they met their budget goal. I worked in a very strategic unit and held a critical role in the tech department and my pay wasn’t 100k. It was a case of keeping the favorites. No one in Konga is safe. Even the ones there now should know this. The lay offs are still coming…..

12. Maud

January 16, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Oh, let me add ‘reasonable’ severance is one month’s salary as opposed to three months required by law. But who am I to fight the Shagayas, who??
    In all of this. It’s the way names were chosen that tied a knot in my belly. Just subjective!! and callous! I thank them cos I was done a favor. I realise ‘its just a job’ I should have treated it like one.

13. Jagaban

January 16, 2016 at 6:00 pm

@Maud……I feel you absolutely!!!!! It was very painful to see very high performers leave. Working at Konga may never be the same. Any HR professional should be on the look out, Konga laid off amazingly brilliant people, it will be your good to grab these talents while they are still available.

14. Mark

January 16, 2016 at 8:07 pm

I can’t find my comment!!!! What is happening Bellanaija ?

15. BoboJ

January 18, 2016 at 9:59 am

Hmmmmm! Konga has always been like that… I work there for 2years, passionate and a high performer. I even got offers from konga’s competitors which I informed my line Manager and HRs, My salary was increased just to keep in the company, but was laid off after 2months, Thank God I got my offer back to the competitor company. but this has happened to a lot of people. konga is so selfish and careless.

16. Storm

January 18, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I have a friend who was laid off, she’s being paid her full Jan salary including a full month salary and her leave days encashed to her.. Don’t know where y’all got your information from. She was also asked for her CV and was told she would be given a referral letter if she needs one.. Lay-offs can be painful but in the midst of being emotional let’s speak the truth

17. Tola

January 19, 2016 at 4:33 pm

@storm, you’ve said the truth. Leave encashment is a requirement by law. So is three months severance. Please know your rights. The problem with this nation is that we keep quiet and we don’t know our rights and even when we do…….
    The problem is not so much the layoffs but the manner the names were derived and what the managemenet is presenting to the public
    Layoffs are sometime inevitable and affected parties are aggreived but such a post does not do the laid off any good……make it look like they were ‘dead’ weight

18. Angy

January 19, 2016 at 9:37 pm

@storm it’s not everybody that has gotten the complete money. I personally I haven’t received alert for severance package

19. CSP

January 20, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Hahahaha if you guys think Konga is bad, Jumia worse. Atleast Konga is managed by a Nigerian. In Jumia 70% of their heads are white, including their two MD’s which is wrong by nig. law and Nigerians basically teach the so called white people what to do.

NO LABOUR LAW IN NIGERIA

20. Kali

January 22, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Everything you need in life is inside you. Invest in yourself, because you are your greatest asset.