Events

Did You Miss It? Here’s how Beyoncé, Bruno Mars & Coldplay Killed the Halftime Show at #SuperBowl50!

Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0012

Last year, with 4 outfit changes, mad props and a surprise appearance from Missy Elliot,  Katy Perry blew us away with her halftime performance (click here if you missed it) so we were really looking forward to this year’s halftime show.

Chris Martin kicked things off by singing Coldplay’s hit songs “Yellow”, “Viva La Vida” and “Paradise”. After Coldplay it was time for Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson who did a street version of “Uptown Funk”.

…and then Beyoncé did a powerful performance of new song “Formation”. Beyonce killed it in an Ashton Michael bodysuit, a DSquared2 jacket and harness, Christian Louboutin shoes, and Lorraine Schwartz jewelry.

Coldplay then continued their performance with their song “Fix You” while paying tribute to all of the past halftime shows. Bey and Bruno then joined in for “Up and Up” to end the show!

A general consensus on social media is that Beyoncé absolutely killed the set even though she and Bruno Mars were making special appearances and the Halftime slot technically belonged to Coldplay.

Did you watch it? What do you think?

Catch all the action in photos below.

***

Coldplay

Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0009 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0002 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0001 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0017

Bruno Mars

Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0007 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0010 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0016 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0006

Beyoncé

Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0020 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0004 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0021 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0014 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0015 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0019

Final Performance

Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0013 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0008 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0005 Super-Bowl-50-Beyonce-Coldplay-Mark-Ronson-February-2016-BellaNaija0003

You can watch all 13 minutes of awesomeness below.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Christopher Polk | Ezra Shaw | Sean M. Haffey | Streeter Lecka | Al Bello | Maddie Meyer | Ronald Martinez | Harry How

1. Aunty Ameboa

February 8, 2016 at 4:07 am

Although Beyonce stole the show.

Coldplay and Bruno Mars were a delight to watch!

Can’t wait for the Formation tour

• Lizzy

February 8, 2016 at 8:05 am

Superbowl50 – I watched it from start to finish. . I live for superbowl ads. The Doritos ad with the woman in labor had me on the floor. Lady gaga: hunty you can sing. Forget all her dress theatrics, this girl knows how to slay it vocal wise. Absolutely loved the Cold Play, Beyonce, and Bruno Mars Collaboration. Terrific Performance. Broncos everyday all day. I am justwaiting for the day she or PINK will be selected as the main artist for the half time superbowl show.

• Lizzy

February 8, 2016 at 8:08 am

I

• Kiiki

February 8, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Looooooooved the two Hyundai Ads. And the Doritos with the dog and the labour one was definitely funny! Hahaaa. The SuperBowl Kids choir rendition / remix of Kissed from a Rose was really sweet. Lolllll.

Now, IDK what PETA was thinking but thank God that crap they wanted to put out was banned!.

• kadara

February 8, 2016 at 11:10 am

They were all awesome. I love COLDPLAY

• Tosin

February 12, 2016 at 8:59 pm

lol.
      paravenshur you need a new glazzis?

2. ATL's finest

February 8, 2016 at 4:07 am

Superbowl 50!!!!! Omg who doesn’t look forward to the crazy ads & half time? Y’all did it ONCE AGAIN.,

3. owl

February 8, 2016 at 4:15 am

All hail the queen!

4. BlueEyed

February 8, 2016 at 4:16 am

Great show! Great performances, I am even more excited for Coldplay! This is huge and I’m happy they got to do this. As much as people like to compare and find faults, the majority of America don’t even care that much, so I just enjoy these half time shows because of the effort and time they put into it, tonight’s own felt so light and fun, with the colors and the kids,I loved every bit of it.
    PS Bellanaija Beyoncé announced a Formation world tour, I am here for that too !!

5. Hawt Talk With Tosan

February 8, 2016 at 4:38 am

Queen of slay! Watch my new Hawt Talk here
    bit.ly/1nWbR2K

6. Exquisite

February 8, 2016 at 4:46 am

It was electrifying!!! awesome!

7. bukky

February 8, 2016 at 4:57 am

Great performance

8. Lolest

February 8, 2016 at 5:24 am

I like how bella naija posts stuff that has nothing to do with nigerians, with all zeal n excitement. Superbowl and Nigeria ??? Ok ooo bella naija, since u asked lemme answer I di nor watch eet

• Chi

February 8, 2016 at 8:00 am

I like how you wear clothes and use items that have nothing do with Nigerians. I like how you speak in accents that has nothing to do with Nigerians or listen to music that is not Nigerian. I like how you wear hair that glad nothing to do with Nigerians. What is wrong with talking about these artistes? You want them to write about the performances and not mention where the performances too place?
      Please take a chill pill Missy.

• M

February 8, 2016 at 9:04 am

@Chi, it seems you are out of topic b/c @Loliest made à valid point about promoting what is african-made. This, especially considering the fact that à major African football finale also took place this Sunday. It doesn’t matter if Nigeria was eliminated early on, Africans should support / empower each other and display more unity.

• Sylvia

February 8, 2016 at 9:17 am

Please, stop with the senseless comparisons. Is there anything close to Superbowl in Nigeria? This is ‘American’ football for God’s sake! It’s not played anywhere else but in the US. I only came on this page because of Coldplay and Beyonce. In fact, i wouldn’t have commented had you not attacked a commenter saying the gospel truth.

• Babym

February 8, 2016 at 9:39 am

Abeg dont be small minded joor! This is 2016! U have to broaden ur horizons beyond ur country’s shores and see what else is happening in the world! As a person living in the 21st ceuntury, u shld know when major events r happening allllll over the world, u cannot afford in this day and age to only be interested in whats happening in ur village. Dont even make me state the obvious fact that bellanaija has American readers!

• Riki

February 8, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Best response! You deserve a round of applause

• Damilola

February 8, 2016 at 7:34 pm

@babym

Your comment is pointless. The only valid point is, a high number of naija readers are based in America. Other than that, what’s the point of posting about Super Bowl or thanksgiving when it’s mainly celebrated by Americans. It has absolutely nothing to do with Nigeria unless you are highlighting some naija American players which isn’t the case here. This website is to keep Nigerians in the diaspora posted, updated, aware of what is going in their homeland, celebrate the people around the world and naija culture. Maybe it’s also to keep Nigerians in the country with what is going on abroad. Bella naija doesn’t even keep us posted on what is happening with our closest brothers/sisters in Africa like Ghana, Ethiopia, Kenya, etc but eager to post about the kardashians.
      American blogs or websites don’t keep their readers posted on what is going on in Nigeria or any African country. It’s just sometimes might post random things about Africa. When Non Nigerians visit a site such as this it should be to learn more about the country. Not seeing what they see all over American blogs already.

I guess, bella naija posts what’s “hot in the news” at the moment especially from America.

• NaijaPikin

February 8, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Perhaps BN has an American audience. You know like naija people who live in yankee, or yankee people who enjoy reading about naija. Don’t be small minded. The world is global now. You cannot grow by limiting yourself to 1 country.

9. kitty

February 8, 2016 at 5:26 am

No I did not miss it cuz I was watching

10. zee

February 8, 2016 at 7:20 am

Dey all killed der performances!!! Lady gaga blew me away wit d anthem

11. Amara

February 8, 2016 at 7:34 am

Absolutely beautiful and flawless…

12. Dating Palava

February 8, 2016 at 7:44 am

From this day henceforth, I stan for Queen Bee! She SLAYED!!!

datingpalava.com

13. Lizzy

February 8, 2016 at 8:16 am

Superbowl50- I watched it from start to finish. I live for super bowl ads. The Doritos ad with the woman in labor had me on the floor. Lady Gaga: Hunty you can sing. Forget all her dress theatrics, this girl knows how to slay it vocal wise. Absolutely loved the Cold Play, Beyonce and Bruno Mars Collaboration. Terrific Performance. Broncos everyday all day. I am just waiting for the day Lady Gaga or Pink will be selected as the main artist for the halftime superbowl show.

14. Anniesglamblog

February 8, 2016 at 8:33 am

It was an awesome performance from Beyonce loved her Dsquared outfit paying tribute to MJ

15. LadyWithTheAfroLocs

February 8, 2016 at 9:24 am

@Lolest…BellaNaija might have their office(s) in Lagos, but they talk about anything and everything around the world. remember that everyone from all parts of the world log in to check them out…..jst relax small ehn? kpele.*hugsandkisses*

16. kk

February 8, 2016 at 9:43 am

I LOVEEEEEE COLD PLAY!!!!!

17. sharon

February 8, 2016 at 10:38 am

I swear to God, the doritos ad was the best, I fell on the floor when the pregnant woman threw the chip away

18. Marc Francis of Chelsea

February 8, 2016 at 10:43 am

What a legend. My fave part was the dance off between Bey and Bruno. Was on my feet the whole time.

19. prince

February 8, 2016 at 11:00 am

All hail the QUEEN. The Slayer. I love love Bruno and Cold Play as well. Good job Queen Bey

20. jhennique

February 8, 2016 at 11:33 am

When will Naija ever have a top notch show like this? I mean check out the sound vibe?

21. beauty

February 8, 2016 at 11:37 am

I loveeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

22. Steph

February 8, 2016 at 11:55 am

Bruno Mars killed this, dude is a performer…love love coldplay and well Beyonce was just Beyonce. Stole d show as always

23. Peaches77

February 8, 2016 at 12:03 pm

This is FAYA! Mashup on the high!

Need to go watch it on HD with some good speakers.

24. whocares

February 8, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I don’t understand this American super bowl thing I wont lie to you. All this on top football that you dont even play properly. IT WAS TWO DAYS TO PANCAKE DAY (well one day now) and you guys were talking about sports? Americans don’t have their priorities right I tell you 😛 (I’m being a troll dont kill me. loool )
    I am yet to watch the performance but if it as good as you all say, I have pancake day entertainment tomorrow then.

25. posh josh

February 8, 2016 at 1:26 pm

bee did it again……

I’m PoshJosh. I really wanted choice so News Minute is designed to give just that.

Instead of receiving any news, receive news updates of your choice.

To shed more light, here are some examples of choices possible by using the NewsMinute app:

Fashionista

entertainment, bellanaija, linda ikej, naij, tiwa, wizkid
    (In this example, the fashionista receives regular alerts about entertainment news, also news from bellanaija, lindaikeji, naij and news about ‘tiwa’ and ‘wizkid’)

Activist

BBOG, girl child, efcc, corruption, buhari
    (Here the activist receives alerts about ‘BBOG’, ‘girl child’, ‘efcc’, ‘corruption’, ‘buhari’)

search for news minute app on google play store now

26. Tamara

February 8, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I watched this and I had tears in my eyes…electrifying performance. I’m just sitting here wondering how many days and hours they put in to rehearse all these.

When will there ever be a show in Nigeria where we’ll see a performance like this?Nigerian artists are paid much only to come and lip-sync…I have never understood it.

The closest i’ve seen to this is Bez’s performance with King Sunny Ade at this year’s #GloCafAwards. Everybody in my house was on our feet the whole time! Mehn…i’m going back to playing the drums,never should’ve stopped.

P:S: BN,please upload Bez’s and KSA’s performance at the #GloCafAwards…as a val’s gift to me. biko,help a sisteh!

• Tosin

February 8, 2016 at 4:04 pm

wow, i wanna see that. Bez can be superelectric performing live, and to pair him with Sunny…

27. The real D

February 8, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Did anyone realize that Bey almost lost it (fall down) when she got on stage and was digging it??. She actually stumbled. I caught it and thank God for TiVo things i told hubby to rewind and confirmed my thoughts. I still have to give it to her though she is an entertainer to the core.

• The real dee

February 8, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Oh I saw that too. She did stumble but did it so well that it looked like a dancestep. It happened so fast.

And who noticed her jacket looks like the one Micheal Jackson wore in his own Super Bowl performance…noticed it when a recap of past halftime performances was shown…or maybe it just looks like it.?

By the way I don’t even understand the game sef. Men with huge turkey hands holding a ball and running around a field while some other men try to collect the ball. It looks like erepa! That’s the kind of sport I’ll like to play but do women play American football?

28. SWAGG1

February 8, 2016 at 4:52 pm

As usual No talent overrated Beyonce stealing ideas. Micheal Jackson wants his jacket back. She is already getting a flak for that stupid formation crap.

29. Ada

February 12, 2016 at 6:48 pm

@SWAGG1 you are such a hater!

30. Tosin

February 12, 2016 at 8:57 pm

They put up a fun show. Hot!

Y’all know I don’t like Beyonce but the girl can do uniform dance like kilode 😉