Style

How 5 Cups of Water a day & Social Media boosted my Confidence & Faded my Stretch Marks

BellaNaija.com

Portrait of mid adult african american woman

It almost cost me everything, first it took away my dress sense then gradually it ate away my self-confidence – I just couldn’t look at myself in the mirror when I am all bare. But I tried my best to keep my chin up; my logical defense was that I didn’t get enough routine exercise knowing that my daily carbs intake is high – forget it, I love eating rice and that isn’t about to change anytime soon.  So, the stretch marks just had to be there but how fast these adipose marks were taking over my entire body began to give me some sort of concern. Stretch marks are most ladies’ nightmare; mine defied everything I threw at it and just kept coming; creeping up my buttocks like burning fingers of lava, scarring deep into my skin till it scorched my cleavage and underarm.

Ouch!  I hated those underarm impressions the most because you just couldn’t hide those easily like the ones on the buns. I know I needed to do something about but what exactly eluded – frankly; routine exercise is not my thing.  I am not that athletic, I tire easily on rigorous stuff like running planking and pushups. Trekking is just fine by me.

It kind of pricked my self-confidence
Every woman loves to look good even so when you have a man in your life. Your looks and groom assume a special place in your life. So, I didn’t totally like the way I looked whenever I stood bare before our standing mirror. Harry (my husband) didn’t think the marks were as bad as I made them look but the issue remained that I kind of withdrew from him, especially when his eyes are examining my body. This created some kind of tension when we’re together, you know, couple things. Harry wasn’t bothered about my stretch marks, maybe it is a thing of decision; not to exert energy on a totally surface issue like stretch marks. But being a woman (and you know we can be a little too vain) the marks bothered me a lot, I must add.

But thank goodness help came and in the most unlikely way, through social media.

It took a health tip shared on a friend’s Palmchat page to change my awkward situation into something of a miracle. The Palmchat broadcast read: “Healing secret for stretch marks: five cups of water each day and the scars runaway!”

image01Social media is still a force for good
A lot happen on social media these days and I agree, not all the things we see on social sites are right but every once in a while, great stuff pop up on social media. In my case, it was that singular health tip my friend Olic shared on his Palmchat page; the broadcast was more than timely for me, it literally lifted my burden.

I followed the tip religiously for months; drinking as much water as I can each day and gosh, the result was simply astonishing! Those ugly stretch marks are disappearing, especially around my butt area.

Simple things matter much
Look at me now, I am so loving my body again and I am very comfortable to have my man examine me when we’re in the mood. What I have experienced for some people may not make any sense because well, some people are not as vain as other I guesslol. They can easily shrug off their ravaging marks and move on with life. But the truth remains that there are millions of people out there who are like me, people who struggle emotionally to deal with something as trivial as stretch marks on their bodies. It is for these ones that I decided to write this article, to share my little body secret.

Over the years I have metamorphosed and my career path has taken an interesting twist; I am a beauty psychologist. Today, social media is my ever engaging office: Facebook, Twitter, BBM but most importantly Palmchat. These online platforms are where I hold my counseling and mentoring sessions and share beauty tips. Knowledge they say is the wheel of success in life, so always desire knowledge and I hope this tip will help you be comfortable in your skin-you should be.

To download the new Palmchat 5.2 app, click here . Also, here’s My Palmchat ID: 109302128 chat me up for more health tips.

_______________________________________________________________________
Sponsored Content

1. "changing moniker"

March 29, 2016 at 11:44 am

Thanks for the tips. i drink a lot of water to help with my metabolism, as strech marks are not an issue for me, i’ve recently noticed a “double chin” and i want it gone.
    any ideas?

• whocares

March 29, 2016 at 12:06 pm

@C.M- Re double chin I dont have any idea, but I will join you on this bench and share my woes too *sigh*… my cheeks are fat. That is my sole problem. Fat cheeks. Sometimes when I eat I feel like I look like a chipmunk; sometimes, I feel like the weight of it weighs me down; it feels like a boob sometimes so I play with it.. it is all elasticated and what not (quite pleasurable to play with really)- This isn’t a matter of me being big either, my cheeks have ALWAYS been fat is all. Is there any way to tone the cheeks? it irritates my soul when people pull my cheek, or even comment on it. . When I was a kid ok, but what excuse do you have for pulling a 26 year old’s cheek? But water is the real deal I wont lie.. but back to my fat cheek issue.. elp a sister out. Thaink yu.

• Ola

March 29, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Ohh God u made me laugh hard ….. We are in the same shoes and I really don’t know what to do as well

• "changing moniker "

March 29, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Haha…. Let’s do those chin exercises o…

• kinda awkward

March 29, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Hit the gym! Fast!

• www.thelmathins.com

March 29, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Hit the gym ke? Do they now have weights for cheeks? Who Cares please leave it alone, some things are just meant to be. And BTW your comment cracked me up, as usual.

• whocares

March 29, 2016 at 2:24 pm

@Thelma- thanks jare. lool. hit the gym ke? No sir, my fitfam regime is on point #amateurboxer..

• kinda awkward

March 29, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Err….for d double chin not d cheeks o. My reply was for “changing moniker”. But for all it’s worth, I think fat cheeks are adorable even on grownups.

• Deezzer

March 29, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Ladies (and maybe guys)…. for your double chin reduction, do a cheek exercise, if you have not found any. I can’t say much on it here as pictures would be required. Just google cheek exercise, you would see tips on how to eliminate those double chins….

I do it often, when I don’t drink milk (I have a slow metabolism too and drinking cereals often make my face fat…i drink lots of tea and water)…i do the exercise and it has worked for me. I use to have a round face but now, i have an Oval face with a longer jaw line now. So you too can try it….

Simple tips:
      1.Do a pout with your lips and roll over often times (do it when no one is there oo before they think otherwise 🙂 )
      2. You remember those faces you make when you want to take funny photos, those funny faces work a lot…(wish i could show u) ..in an easier fashion, turn your upper lip to the left while the lower lip goes to the opposite direction. do it as much as you want.
      3. Hold your jaw line with your fingers and massage them from the back to the front. do it as much you want….
      4. Open your mouth wide and do the above three oftentimes…
      ……It will hurt you at first (no pain no gain 😀 ….but keep at it. You will have sexy jawlines without going under the knife… However, need more tips, ask uncle Google!!

Cheerios, friends!!

2. Zainab

March 29, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Yes o. Got the double chin and too much fat is killing my self confidence this days. Am trying my best with exercise, water therapy and all. Nothing seems to be working. Any help will be appreciated

• abi

March 29, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Go carb free. It’s tried and tested and works for every human being. I went from a size 22 to size 10 in 2 years.

3. kinda awkward

March 29, 2016 at 12:51 pm

What size is the cup?

• magnum

March 30, 2016 at 9:14 am

34D

4. Nuna

March 29, 2016 at 1:05 pm

I think stretch marks are absolutely beautiful!! I dont know why people hate them.

• Sisi

March 29, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I love the ones on my waist! Like beads..they make me feel beautiful

• I just waka come...

March 29, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Errr, confused face… OK, whatever rocks your boat I guess.

Does anyone have any solution for moles please? They are growing all over my face and frankly it’s scaring me. *sad face.

Please do not mention water.

With the amount of water I drink, trust I will live forever.

5. SOZA

March 29, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Thanks for the tips. Been on Palmchat and I must say I love the app.

6. fotis

March 29, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Does anyone know the treatment for varicose veins?

• abi

March 29, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Drink lots of water to promote your circulation as spider veins are caused by a lack of upwards downwards circulation into the capillaries. Completely stop all other liquids including diet sodas (pure green tea and black coffee is fine). Massage the affected area twice a day and keep your legs elevated above heart level when lying down and ankle level when sitting. Stop crossing your legs. It’s a terrible habit for women. And exercise regularly. Avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time. Ease up on those heels. Stilettos aren’t meant to be worn everyday.

• fotis

March 30, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Thanks abi

7. mrs chidukane

March 29, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I have a lot of stretch marks. It runs in my mom’s family even my male cousins have them. I have made peace with them but childbirth is trying to make it appear on my chest and I will absolutely not take that. Will try the tip. I heard aloe vera gel also works.

8. wendy

March 29, 2016 at 2:07 pm

I have a lot of stretch marks. It have never bother me. I have more important things to be worried about.

9. Sisi

March 29, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Mine near enough took over my life too, again it was the arm ones I struggle(ed) with most. I still despise them. Whilst I am comfortable with myself as in just me, it’s getting to be comfortable with myself around other people. From mid teens I have tried every cream, butter, old wives tale to get rid but no luck. Even considered laser surgery at some point. Whilst they have certainly faded I can still see them, no one else ever seems to care as much once I reveal but to get to that stage……every outfit is carefully constructed around concealment even my wedding dress (a girl can dream). Definitely a flaw within my narcisstic personality *coversface*

10. Sisi

March 29, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Mind you water will not get rid of stretchmarks, they are scars. Water can help in making your skin more elastic to prevent further stretchmarks but certainly won’t get rid of any. Shea butter, rosehip oil, bio oil are good places to start to fade and reduce appearance. Not sure what the status is on laser surgery and melanin rich skin tones. Basically try get over it (yourself), like Wendy says lots more important things to be worrying about *note to self*

11. serendipity

March 29, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Thank u for sharing this article, I’ve struggled with self esteem and everyday is an uphill battle. The worse for me is my stretch marks which thank God is gradually improving, I hardly ever wear sleeveless dresses if i’m not indoors or at night, almost all my dresses have sleeves cause my arms are not just fat but have stretch marks although my family and friends say its all in my head, it’s not a big deal but to me it is. Thanks to a mixture of Shea butter and coconut oil, bio oil its improving, I hope one day I won’t have to not buy a dress I like because it doesn’t have sleeves until then I’m covering up!

12. Sabifok

March 29, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Re question about losing a double chin and weight in the cheeks. You cannot spot reduce weight.

Your double chin would reduce as part of a general body weight loss. So your best bet is to start to eat clean and exercise. Try doing a 10,000 steps per day and eat fresh food and vegetables. Avoid fried and processed food.

Another factor is genetics. Some people have a rounder face or shorter neck which gives them pudgy facial features. So they always look fatter on the face than they are on the torso and limbs. Certain ethnicities also have an advantage. The Fulani (and the Slavs in Europe) have hollow and pronounced cheek bones and longer faces, compared to say Yoruba/Igbo or Southern European peoples.

13. Carina

March 29, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Stretch marks… Oh stretch marks!
    Why are thou on earth to torment women? I think men careless about them on their body.
    ckjacob.com

14. Ello Bae

March 29, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Is this for real? Who else has tried this?

15. Uche

March 29, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Hmm. I’ve had stretch marks forever and I drink all the waters. Not discrediting your experience but…native advertising for Palmchat perhaps?

16. Tosin

March 31, 2016 at 11:21 am

water is the best. male, female, try it for a better life.