News

WOW! Changemakers in Action – Slum2School Africa commissions Early Childhood Development Centre in the Makoko Community

Otto Orondaam ( Founder Slum2School Africa ) and Mrs Nimi Akinkugbe ( MD Bestman games )

Otto Orondaam (Founder – Slum2School Africa) and Nimi Akinkugbe (MD – Bestman Games)

On Saturday 27th February, Slum2school Africa celebrated its 4th anniversary. The anniversary which held at Makoko, Lagos state also witnessed the commissioning of its first Early Childhood Development Centre (ECDC).

The centre which is projected to service about 600 – 1000 children weekly has four (4) different learning spaces and over 120 learning tools including an interactive smart board, a functional e-library and creative technology tools. The ECDC is very critical in helping children reach or meet their full potentials,  as it encourages thinking outside the box especially for children in underdeveloped communities.

Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (5)Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (11) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (27) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (23) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (1) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (18) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (16) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (15) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (13) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (9) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (6) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (7) Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (8)
Speaking at the event, the founder and Executive Director of Slum2School Africa, Otto Orondaam who in all excitement, revealed that the launching of the ECDC is one of many development projects planned for the year and he also appreciated the volunteers for thinking less of themselves and more of the children. He said that the funds used to build the ECDC were raised by volunteers and about 70 volunteers where also recognized with Certificates of appreciation, Medals of Honour as well the prestigious Volunteer achievement award.
Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (22)Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (20)

As a volunteer driven organization Slum2School Africa provides educational scholarships and other psycho social support for disadvantaged children in slums and remote communities across Africa. And since the organization was founded in 2012 with the help of over 5000 volunteers across 25 countries, several corporate and non-corporate partners they have reached out to over 11,000 children across 15 communities and provided scholarship support to over 600 children.

Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (4)Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (3)Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (2)

Also speaking at the event was Maureen Ihonor, Deputy Director of Corona Trust council who said that the standard of the ECDC is one of the best she had visited and most of the best private schools did not even have such. She congratulated the team for such a great impact and selfless service and pledged the support of Corona Schools. Nimi Akinkughbe, MD of Bestman games who was also present expressed her satisfaction as well as the Education Secretary of the Lagos State Mainland Education Authority, Hon. Olabisi Adetona who could not hide his excitement. He said that this was the best early care center on the mainland and thanked Slum2School Africa for its effort over four years towards the improvement of education in the state.

“Just this week we presented an award to Otto Orondaam for the numerous developmental projects that Slum2School had done over the years not knowing that this was even coming.”

Slum2School Africa ( Early Childhood Development Center ) (12)

The event was very entertaining with performances from several beneficiaries. In attendance were hundreds of volunteers, and special guests from the private and public sectors.

With the organisations proven track record of a steady growth and remarkable achievements, there is the anticipation of a drastic reduction in illiteracy rate and improvement in the quality of lives especially among the less privileged.

****
This post has been published for free as part of BellaNaija‘s commitment to supporting Slum2School. We applaud Slum2School Africa for taking great strides towards eradicating illiteracy amongst the less privileged

1. Omo jesu

March 1, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Thanks everyone that the Lord had used and still using to make dreams come true. I am so encouraged.This is really awesome. Good job.

• MyNameIsMe

March 3, 2016 at 4:18 am

I’m Godly proud of a young man who isn’t so concerned about Ferrari but about making an impact in his generation. It reminds me of our past leaders who started young to ensure Nigeria was developed. The future belongs to our youths so please let’s keep encouraging these ones.

P.S: The Ferrari comparison is just a metaphor. So don’t dwell on it but be open minded to the point I’m trying to make. God bless. 🙂 😉

2. Missy J

March 1, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Woow well done!! they are the true bringers of CHANGE.
    Hopefully we get more people to venture into projects like this.

3. Honeycrown

March 1, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Oh wow! Amazing! This is good stuff man!

4. We The People!!

March 1, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Thanks Otto, I’ve always believed that your heart is in the right place for this country and continent at large. I keep saying that our past generations have failed us in this country, and it’s only our generation and younger that would make a positive change!! I’m glad that I donated to this worthy cause and plan to do more with widows might…. Thanks Slum2School for this very significant milestone!!

5. Tolu

March 1, 2016 at 10:04 pm

This is truly amazing work!

6. Olu

March 1, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Very well done. You are blessed.

7. Berry

March 1, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Here is someone or should I say a group of people not blaming the government but making a great impact in the community and investing in the future. I wish we could all be like that. Otto God bless you and your team. You’ll definately reap the fruit of your labour.

8. Adekemi

March 1, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Wow. I wonder how these young peoole get their motivation with all the crazy challenges in this country.

• Word

March 2, 2016 at 1:07 am

I am impressed. God bless you all.

9. hey!

March 1, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Msscheeeeew, bellanaija really? This was posted for free as your contribution? Sso all the kardashian and other gossip gist you put on her, who pay for them?why not jejely put the post and let us read as usual, likke very other post? Nop, you guys want to tell us you did something. If u like don’t post my comment. Weldone otto and everyone wwho contributed to this great feat.

• Fountain of Paper

March 2, 2016 at 1:59 am

It’s part of contribution na… Do you know how much it costs to publicize an event on BellaNaija?

When Zenith Bank installed the roundabout at Ajose Adeogun, they sha wrote their name gbagada on it. It’s all contribution.

Go and find another thing to complain about biko.

• Tosin

March 2, 2016 at 5:35 am

Every bit counts. Check out the Slum2School site – that’s what I love about it, you can contribute at any level, you don’t have to make the biggest commitment…even just buying a T-Shirt (cool design, I want one) or telling a friend, attending their fun events or volunteer-teaching a few times, is something. I don’t know how they do it.

10. Kike

March 1, 2016 at 11:21 pm

My mouth dropped reading this! Well done to the entire team. This is commendable and generational changing work!!! This is going to the root of poverty and tackling it heads on 21st century style! I love that they are encouraging these children from early on to ‘think outside of the box’. May the organisers and volunteers never lack, may you always be inundated with supernatural provision.

To the UN, UNICEF, aid agencies etc please give your money to this and similar organisation instead of people who have no proven track record of delivering meaningful projects. Also stop funding the lifestyles of Westerners on extended gap years. Some of these ‘saviours’ have no genuine intention of reducing poverty; they just want aid agencies to carry on funding their over-privileged, over -indulged, gap year extensions. There are well meaning locals on ground who understand the need and people and can deliver said projects cheaper and more effectively! Rant over.

11. Tara

March 1, 2016 at 11:22 pm

I’m so proud to be a Slum 2 School volunteer. A team of awesome individuals. Let’s do more

12. Tosin

March 2, 2016 at 5:31 am

Let me famz, like they say, pretend I was with them every step of the way 🙂
    Nah, not really, but I’ve always loved Slum2School and always tried to show a little love. Apparently my tiny little droplets of love have combined with yours to bring about some change. Yes Lord.

13. Damilola

March 2, 2016 at 8:05 am

I am so inspired reading this. I’ve followed Slum2School for years even though they haven’t accepted my application to be a volunteer and every new month they keep surpassing their previous achievements. Creating impact back to back.
    If you visit their page on Instagram you will see raw impact. I will support such organizations even with my last kobo. These are young people who could be anywhere but they chose to help these children in the slums.
    Like look at their founder. He’s so handsome and could care less, he could be acting movies or throwing parties but he’s inspiring other young people to do more. God will bless you all for your selfless efforts. Pls don’t give up cos you have already set a standard for charities across Africa. God bless you more.

14. Nike

March 2, 2016 at 8:10 am

This is so beautiful and one will hardly believe this is in Nigeria. I love the color combinations. The details put into the finishing. The shelves are so innovative and to think that volunteers raised the money to this is beyond me. I wish I could just be part of you guys. Pls let me just volunteer to teach the children.. Pls I sent you guys a DM on Instagram.

15. meelikey

March 2, 2016 at 8:57 am

Wow ! This is service to God n humanity,may the good Lord bless everyone involved in this ministry.

16. Nwuba Onyinye

March 2, 2016 at 10:43 am

Woooow… Great work. keep it up and God’s grace. Would love to know if there is an oppourtunity to be a volunteer. At least during my breaks. Would love to b of help somehow.

17. Ruby

March 2, 2016 at 12:22 pm

I really love what slum2school is doing. God bless them.

I signed up to volunteer on their website earlier in the year, up till now I am yet to get acknowledgement or even any contact. Please if you know how to contact them to volunteer, please slide in your reply.
    Thank you.

18. kemaribs

March 2, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Congratulations to slumtoschool Africa on the commissioning of this great project last weekend

I am glad to be a part of this vision as a volunteer from inception.
    weldone guys. let’s do more!

19. Metrogypsie

March 2, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Big ups to all the people who volunteer their time to Slum2School. Y’all are the heroes.

God bless.

20. Tunmi

March 3, 2016 at 1:40 am

I am so proud of you guys