News

Soldiers Allegedly Beat up a Woman & Damage her Car in Edo State

Soldier Beats Woman

Joy Agboghide | Photo Credit: Punch

According to reports, a 51-year-old mother of six, Joy Agboghide, who resides in Benin, Edo State, was at about 4 pm yesterday beaten by officers in Benin, Edo State, for allegedly obstructing traffic with her car.

The incident which occurred in front of the headquarters of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company was reported to have been sparked off by an argument between an officer and the woman who had insisted that she reverse her vehicle.

Joy Agboghide had explained that she had stopped to allow about four cars pass through the congested road and the officer had angrily returned to the BEDC premises with some other soldiers attached to BEDC. The soldiers were then reported to have beaten the woman up after which she was rushed to the Central Hospital, Benin, where she received treatment.

Speaking to Punch correspondents, the woman explained, “ … a soldier told me to reverse and I explained that I had waited for some vehicles to pass. But he said, ‘Do you know who you are talking to? Reverse!’ Before I knew it, he used his gun to hit my windscreen.

She continued, “I came out and asked him what I had done and he said I should wait. He went into the BEDC premises and came out with some soldiers who descended on me. He said they should clear me off the road. But as he tried to enter his vehicle, I pulled him and told him to pay for the damage done to my car.”

The officer, who was later identified as an officer in the Nigerian Air Force and not Nigerian Army by Captain Jonah Unuakhalu, Spokesman for the 4 Brigade Command of the Nigerian Army, is said to be under investigations.

1. Natu

March 22, 2016 at 11:37 am

Dear some African men, stop violating women. We were not placed on earth for y’all to use and abuse. Bloody animals!!

2. keke driver

March 22, 2016 at 11:41 am

Who do these “uniform lazy as*es” think think they are? you can’t go about beating up people’s wives, mothers and sisters…..I witnessed something like this last year and I was utterly disgusted by how power drunk some people are.

3. Aderonke

March 22, 2016 at 12:03 pm

This has got to stop…haba! One too many! Kilode…is it a sin to be civilian nii?

4. luvnaija

March 22, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Omg! Which way Nigeria! Where is PMB’s war against indiscipline! No wonder they refused to vote gender equality bill! May this officer meet his waterloo if he does not repent!
    I’m soooo angry right now, and when IPOB call Nigeria a zoo we would be complaining! Which sane country would this kind of thing happen if not in this lawless country!
    I’m ashamed really and I weep for generations to come if nothing is done!

5. Hanee

March 22, 2016 at 1:12 pm

These are the kind of people Nigerians are suppose to be doing jungle justice for. Nigeria army my foot.

6. ELLA

March 22, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Hian! What nonsense? Stupid people, they better investigate him and make sure he pays for the damages he has caused. Rubbish

7. Grace

March 22, 2016 at 3:01 pm

What an act,just because you are a uniform man? When some of their mates are fighting the insurgents in Borno…SMH
    They should really look into it and deal with him according. Useless damned man.

8. Uyi DaWordsmith

March 22, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Lets hope something positive comes out of the investigation

9. Corolla

March 22, 2016 at 6:12 pm

I hope they follow the investigation through and jail the barbaric fool!

10. Mabel

March 22, 2016 at 8:53 pm

So there was no other logical way for them to resolve this?

11. naijamess

March 22, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Nigeria is the worse place to grow up as a woman, no protetion for women,no respect for women. Nigeria is a lawless country, soldiers, police beat and maltreats women without been punished. A big shame to all Nigerian authorities, a big shame to all soldiers,shame to all polices, women are to be protected not beaten.