Style

#BNFroFriday: Pretty Actress/Producer Uru Eke shares her Hair Story with BN Beauty & why She’ll NEVER go Back to Relaxers

Eki Ogunbor

Today’s #BNFroFriday hair interview is with another talented celebrity.

We have beautiful actress and producer Uru Eke who recently released her debut movie ‘Remember Me‘. In this interview she shares her experience with chemicals like relaxers and hair dye, why she chose to go natural and give us the 411 on ‘Shaniqua‘!

We have started this series with celebrities, but if you’re reading this and would like to talk about your real hair journey – natural or relaxed, do email us – [email protected]

Here’s Uru Eke’s Hair Story

uru eke bnfrofriday feature bellanaija april2016_uru eke

BellaNaija: Tell us about your hair

Uru Eke: I’m African, my hair texture is 4b but it’s very light. When I was much younger, I did all sorts with my hair. Once, I coloured it but I didn’t like the colour then I re-coloured it the same day with a shade of what I thought was honey blonde. No one told me that after colouring you shouldn’t put any chemical in your hair for at least two weeks. The next day after colouring, I relaxed it myself at home, when I went to wash it off 20mins later… I lost all my hair. I came out of the bathroom looking like something out of a horror film.

BN: You once had relaxed hair, why did you decide to go natural?
UE: Yes, I relaxed my hair, for years actually. Until I realized my hairline began to recede, something had to be done.

BN: How did you make the change?
UE: One day after taking my weave off, I combed my hair out and looked in the mirror. I saw my mother’s head in the mirror looking back at me (Her hairline had receded). With shock and embarrassment I went to the hairdresser and told him to chop it all off so I could begin afresh. He advised me not to and if I followed his instructions my edges would grow back. I told him I wasn’t interested and asked can he just take it all off because I was heartbroken looking at what I had on my head. He went on and on about staying off relaxers and having my hair natural and recommended what to use as treatment once a month. So instead of a big chop, I just stopped using relaxers completely and slowly the undergrowth grew into what it is today.

uru eke bnfrofriday feature bellanaija april2016_Screenshot_2016-04-21-16-36-11_Fotor

BN: Are you ever tempted to go back to relaxers?
UE: Relaxers? NEVER!! I remember when I used to relax my hair, for the first two weeks it will be silky with nice edges. Then everything will fall off and I’ll be like someone with alopecia. Never been tempted to relax it either.uru eke bnfrofriday feature bellanaija april2016_20150806_171254

BN: Ever hidden your natural hair? IF so why?
UE: Nope, never hidden it. Now and again when I’m tired of Shaniqua (my wig), I go out with my hair braided in didi. That’s usually what I have underneath my wigs.

Shaniqua, Ooh so glam!

Uru & Fabulous Shaniqua!

BN: How long have you kept your natural hair?
UE: My hair has been natural for about a year. No, I’ll never cut it, my hair grows very slowly so I wouldn’t dare put a pair of scissors to it now.

BN: How does climate where you live affect your hair?
UE: When I’m Nigeria, where the weather is very humid, my hair is quite moist but back in London it becomes quite brittle and breaks off. I guess its mainly because of the weather and water.

BN: Do you have any other hair problems?
UE: Nope, none at all, just wish it could be a lot longer than it is

uru eke bnfrofriday feature bellanaija april2016_IMG-20151005-WA0000

BN: How do you deal with the negative effect of climate?
UE: What affects me the most is my dry scalp more than anything. I have very dry skin so I have to constantly stay moisturized and I do this with water and oils.

BN: What’s your stance on natural vs chemical products?
UE: When I treat my hair I use lots of oils. Olive oil, Coconut oil, Castor oil, Shea Butter and Honey. When I go to the salon to have my hair in didi (Inverted plaits), I always request they use nothing but Shea Butter. I’ve been scared off any chemicals after my experience with hair dye and relaxers.

BN: What’s your daily, weekly and/or monthly hair routine?
UE: Daily, I apply Coconut oil, monthly I steam with a mixture of all the oils mentioned above including Honey.

uru eke bnfrofriday feature bellanaija april2016_20160420_153917

BN: What advice would you give to people thinking of going natural?
UE: If your hair is as lightweight and soft as mine and relaxers don’t do you any good, natural is the way forward. I understand people with very thick strong hair need relaxers so it’s easily managed. To be honest, if relaxers don’t do your hair any damage, keep with it but keep your hair healthy as well. I didn’t have much of a choice, it was either go natural or be bald by 40.

BN: What do you like best about your hair and being natural?
UE: It’s much healthier and my edges have drastically improved.

BN: What are your favourite styles to rock and why?
UE: I’m usually wearing Shaniqua most of the time.

Eki is the Editor for BellaNaija Style and Lifestyle Editor for BellaNaija.com She has a Vogue Fashion Certificate from Conde Nast College of Fashion & Design and also attended Central Saint Martins, London College of Fashion and the University of Kent. Eki headed the Design Operations at a top Nigerian womenswear fashion brand before finding love at BellaNaija Style.Eki loves all things creative. Follow her on Instagram @ekiogunbor BellaNaija Style: [email protected] | @bellanaijastyle BellaNaija Beauty: @bellanaijabeauty BellaNaija Living: [email protected] | @bellanaijaliving

1. URU BEAUTIFUL

April 22, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Abeg ehn no vex but this girl is BEAUTIFULLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

• So Beautiful

April 22, 2016 at 7:03 pm

I swear die…see fine girl??

• Jade

April 22, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Forget her hair. She’s beautiful, nice skin.

2. MsTiLii

April 22, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Yummy Uru – so stunningly gorgeous for days as always. Uru – so are you 4c?
    Going natural takes a lot of patience and nurturing – lots of patience

@MahoganyCurls was my greatest inspire for going natural – and i love it. Love Jessica.
    I will continue to be patient and give myself at least 4 yrs to see results as i continue to nurture it daily/weekly (water-water and more water). My goal is Healthy hair not necessarily length. Love You Uru – #TeamNatural #NaturallyCurly – Lets all continue to encourage each other (#teamnatural).

3. MsTiLii

April 22, 2016 at 5:05 pm

So You are 4b rather, ok – sorry i missed it.

4. ACE

April 22, 2016 at 5:09 pm

@ URU BEAUTIFUL you just read my mind! Kai!

5. precy

April 22, 2016 at 6:04 pm

My relaxed hair isn’t even as soft as her natural. You understand my plight? Sigh

6. mz titilitious

April 22, 2016 at 6:38 pm

She’s cute…. jt started my natural hair journey this year too, I won’t chop off I just stopped relaxing…

7. ......

April 22, 2016 at 8:09 pm

I don’t get the 4b or 4 c textures a little too much to follow she looks like anita okoye

8. Mara

April 22, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Such a pretty lady!

9. quiiiiin

April 22, 2016 at 10:08 pm

URU u are beautiful girl but metamorphosis didn’t only take place with the hair but with your skin color as well so pls caution, before we all wake to someone else becos you wld have turned white.peace n love

• B

April 23, 2016 at 2:41 am

I don’t think she’s bleaching (I think), I have a feeling it’s her makeup + a bit of filter. Maybe she’s “toned” a bit, me I don’t know o. The MUA used always gives people this dramatic, porcelain barbie look and makes them look much lighter/brighter, maybe because of the highlight and light pink lips. Not sure how to put it but if you check her MUA’s Instagram you’ll get where I’m coming from.

• Abk

April 23, 2016 at 6:43 pm

quiiiiin: She isn’t bleaching. Just cause you don’t like her comment on relaxers doesn’t mean you should be sketchy and shady, and twist this post to her bleaching. Seriously, people have preferences and life isn’t hard. If you want relaxers, all good, if you don’t relaxers, all good. I’m natural, and I had no issues with relaxers when I was relaxed, my hair was fine, just perfect, but that doesn’t mean it is or was the same for others. People react to things differently. Whether your hair is natural, relaxed or in jerry curls, do you!!

10. ...just saying

April 23, 2016 at 5:51 am

Err! But you still have receding edges though

• hairline prefect

April 23, 2016 at 8:09 am

you know not everybody’s hairline starts from their forehead and she did mention she’s still in the healing process, but just so you can say you commented #justsaying

• ebyie

April 23, 2016 at 8:51 am

Wish u know Uru but u dont so u won’t understand. Her hair edges have grown tremendously compared to before.

11. Bluebell

April 23, 2016 at 9:15 am

Love this piece. Adults need to take responsibility for what comes out of their mouths. We all got younger sisters, nieces, daughters all looking up at us for directions. If a child constantly hears words like “difficult hair” “nappy hair” “ugly hair” it’s going to be embedded in their subconscious that they are indeed inferior to other races with” FINE HAIR” The Clark Doll test was conducted by Dr. Kenneth Clark and his wife Mamie Clark for her master’s degree thesis. The study focused on stereotypes and children’s self-perception in relation to their race. The results of Clark’s study were used to prove that negative imagery was distorting the minds of young black kids, causing them to internalize stereotypes and racism, to the point of making them hate themselves. Bella please encourage our girls to love themselves the way they are made. More articles like this please. And for that question IS IT THAT DEEP? DO THE EXPERIMENT WITH YOUR YOUNG BLACK KIDS AND SEE HOW MUCH SELF LOVE THEYVE GOT.

• Anon

April 23, 2016 at 8:39 pm

I concur every black woman needs to watch that Clark experiment it’s on utube. It’s shocking and at the same time informative.

12. Cece

April 23, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Nearly each photo looks like a different person

13. Lola

April 23, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Eki! The girl with the beautiful hair! I’m sure if Bellanaija does a fro feature on you, there would be a million comments that day. Haha! Serious hair crush…But one quick question though, does relaxers really do destroy the edges? I’m not trying to be thick or something, but I think it’s the weaves and braids, and the GHANA BRAIDS that do that – if done tightly. Not the relaxers. I have natural hair which I wear out most of the time, the only ‘please my hair, let me rest,’ style I trust enough to do is two strands twists because I know it is very gentle on my edges. I did a weave once (closure) and had to remove it on the third day, it was tight! And yes, by the time I removed it, my edges were starting to go. I could see some tiny ‘shiny’ spots. Smh. Now, imagine I left it for a couple of weeks, I’d be bald! I mean, there are naturals with no edges. So, it brings me back to my original question: is it the relaxers or the tight hairstyles that destroys our edges as black women?

• Abk

April 23, 2016 at 6:49 pm

I can’t say for everyone, but when my hair was relaxed, it was about 18 inches, my hair was full and thick (just like now, I’m natural) and I had no problem with edges or my front hair. But I’ve heard lots of people say they transitioned to natural hair because they had thinning hair when their hair was relaxed and lost a lot of edges. Maybe relaxers are different and different brands put different chemicals in their relaxers? I don’t know. If your hair is relaxed, and you have lost your edges, get a spray bottle and mix equal amounts of castor and jojoba oils with either peppermint or tea tree oil and use it to massage your edges for about 5-7 minutes twice a day, and there should be some sort of progress in about 7 weeks if you do it consistently; you can do this if you’re natural too. And when re-touching your hair, only put the relaxer on the under-growth.

14. Abk

April 23, 2016 at 6:53 pm

In retrospect, overly tight hair styles, too much chemicals, etc, may result to loss of edges.

15. Lola

April 23, 2016 at 7:42 pm

@ Abk, yeah, had to ask that question because when I had relaxed hair, the only time I tend to loose my edges is when I do tight hairstyles or start applying those black thick gels on my hairline just to have it laid. Well, I guess different strokes for different folks! No hair texture is the same and our hair responds to relaxers in different ways. That’s why everybody should just do what they think is best for their hair.