Style

#BNFroFriday Trend Alert: Cornrows Everywhere! See Toke, Tiwa, Tonye & even International Stars rocking braids

It’s Friday and this means its time for #BNFroFriday but today’s edition is extra special. We have a trend alert and a celebrity hair interview coming up later! Can you guess who?

Today’s trend alert is for the Cornrows hairstyle. Since the beginning of this year, we’ve seen quite a few hairstyles but cornrows have become very popular and they’re here to stay because they’ve been around for a really long time. We’re showing you how our favourite fashionistas rock this hair trend from Toke Makinwa and Tiwa Savage, Kim Kardashian and her daughter North and even Kylie Jenner showing us her colourful rendition of the hairstyle.

See the photos

Toke Makinwa

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_toke makinwa1 bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_toke makinwa

Tiwa Savage

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_tiwa savage bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_tiwa savage1

Mo’cheddah

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_mocheddarbnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_mocheddar1

Dija

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_dija bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_dija1

Eku & Kessiana Edewor

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_edewor twins bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_edewor twins1

Agbani Darego

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_agbani darego

Tonye Garrick

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_tonye

Kim Kardashian

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_kim kardashian5 bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_kim kardashian3 bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_kim kardashian1

Khloe Kardashian

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_khloe kardashian1

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_khloe kardashian

Khloe and Penelope Disick (Kourtney’s daughter)

Kylie Jenner (at Coachella 2016)

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_kylie jenner bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_kylie jenner1

Rita Ora

bnfrofriday hair trend bellanaija april2016_rita ora

Hope this inspires you, this just might be my next hairstyle!

Photo Credits: Instagra | @tiwasavage, @tokemakinwa, @agbanidarego, @ekuedewor, @afrodija, @mocheddah, @whoistonye, @khloekardashian, @kimkardashian, @ritaora, @kyliejenner

Eki is the Editor for BellaNaija Style and Lifestyle Editor for BellaNaija.com She has a Vogue Fashion Certificate from Conde Nast College of Fashion & Design and also attended Central Saint Martins, London College of Fashion and the University of Kent. Eki headed the Design Operations at a top Nigerian womenswear fashion brand before finding love at BellaNaija Style. Eki loves all things creative. Follow her on Instagram @ekiogunbor BellaNaija Style: [email protected] | @bellanaijastyle BellaNaija Beauty: @bellanaijabeauty BellaNaija Living: [email protected] | @bellanaijaliving

1. Tunmi

April 22, 2016 at 2:43 pm

And when you went with international stars, you could not find black women wearing cornrows?

• Seriously

April 22, 2016 at 3:13 pm

So, bcos Kim k made cornrows trendy, suddenly naija celebrities want to copy with exception Tiwa bcos she rocked cornrows way before this trend.

White society dictates what’s beautiful to black women and then they follow like puppets.

• Corrolla

April 22, 2016 at 5:59 pm

But were Nigerians not rocking it way before Kim?

• Seriously

April 22, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Naija women were wearing cornrows but it was seen as a local, poor, school girl hairstyle. Wearing wig/weave means you are exposed and have money. Kim k made corn rows more fashionable trendy, all of a sudden everybody and their mama wants to rock it including naija women who will judge you if you wear cornrows before

• Heat lo fa

April 22, 2016 at 8:36 pm

One word : HEAT

• Damilola

April 23, 2016 at 6:06 am

I really like tiwa’s inverted braids. It looks beautiful on her

2. T

April 22, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Beautiful

3. wishin'

April 22, 2016 at 2:46 pm

I wish I had the right face shape for this. They all look gorgeous! Unfortunately, i’m stuck with my big, round forehead and chubby face.

• Gyae Wasem

April 22, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Dont say that
      Just try it – i am sure you will look cute. Just find a good hair braider who wont do it too “hard” to make your face look strong and one where you cant even raise your head straight as you walk cos the back is painfully done. They are some hair stylist who braid like that.

One day i braided my hair for $120, it was so painful i had to take it out two days after. Money wasted. Never set foot at that girl again.

On the other hand i am strong believer that there are some braiders whose hands GROW HAIR, who agrees with me.

• Aijayrich

August 7, 2016 at 1:43 pm

I have same face shape and I rock cornrows all I want with a lot of compliments. Give it a try already..

4. Gyae Wasem

April 22, 2016 at 3:00 pm

And now the Kardashians are making it seem they started it (or at least the white media and magazines are making it seem like that, just like they made it seem Miley Cyrus invented Twerking – Nkwasiasem Kwa, Nonsense.

I dont blame them, i blame african celebs and everybody else to now begin to wear the hair styles after the kardashians started it..

By the way i love Tonyes and i will be braiding mine like that next week. Hopefully it will last a month.

Tonyes should be trending – i love it

5. Gyae Wasem

April 22, 2016 at 3:01 pm

All i am saying is WE OWN THIS SHIT so do not sit and let some kardashian start wearing it before it trends, We should make our own shyt trend,

6. nma

April 22, 2016 at 3:18 pm

if It takes all of kim kardashian to make this style popular, then there’s a problem.

• ATL's finest

April 22, 2016 at 4:33 pm

I know right! Come to think of it, Rita Ora & Di’ja got it cuz that’s all I mostly see them wear esp Di’ja. I love this protective hair style for my natural hair.

7. nene

April 22, 2016 at 4:24 pm

can i just say this hairstyle is razz, ghetto, and tacky. but cuz kim k (who’s tacky) does it, nigeiran people must follow. Tonye Garrick’s hair is the best cuz its a bit like ghana weaving.

8. Uberhautelooks.blogspot.com

April 22, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Pls Pls, I’ve been doing this style since time immemorial. We call it Koroba in Yoruba Language. Cos it’s trending now means nothing. It’s either in’didi olowo or oloju keji

• kokomistress

April 22, 2016 at 5:28 pm

No is call adimole in yoruba

• mz titilitious

April 23, 2016 at 1:01 am

I have too, no one made it popular, Dija usually make this style a lot! It was even in vogue for sometime.

9. Great Lady

April 22, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Nene cornrows are not razz, tacky and ghetto. So its the mami water weaves that are sophisticated right? Ignorant talk. What better way to receive fresh air in this hot weather.

10. Great Lady

April 22, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Cornrows are the new sexy and they’re here to stay.

• Ms Dee

April 22, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Ha my dear, had to reply to this. Lol. Been rocking the style back to back with different colors of ‘attachments’ cos of this heat. I cannot come and die. As for the commenter who said Kim started it before Naija celebs started rocking it and the one that said it is razz, i think you people are drawing mad abi? (e ya were) mchew

• mz titilitious

April 23, 2016 at 1:02 am

Tell them @Ms Dee

• Pep

April 23, 2016 at 8:23 am

Conrows have always been in style and will always be, It’s sad that some of us don’t appreciate this type of hairdo. A coworker (African girl) called me “local/village girl” last year because I had my hair in conrows. It is just pathetic these days that some black women can’t rock their own hair (permed or natural) these days because they feel less pretty without the weaves, braids or whatever makes them feel good.

11. Fifi

April 22, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Did tiwa use lace front wig for her own cuz it just looks rough and wierd ? Im currently rocking didi with my natural hair because lagos sun and heat want to roast me ooo, can deal with extensions at the moment

12. Duchess Maria

April 22, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Plix if you have no edges, do not even venture near this hair do.
    I love it sha, and wish I could pull it off.

13. Babe

April 22, 2016 at 7:56 pm

But Tiwa has hair sha…… Hairlines on fleek!

14. j'suis belle

April 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm

hey peeps its not that deep ooo,anyway from school wey a dey carry dis hair its great to see dat it has been brought up to international standards,but guys we know we own this trend as africans and started rocking it,so if its coming back in full force then great. I hated this hair back in the days i guess the attachement makes it more stylish too

15. Me

April 22, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Why the arguments of who started a trend that has been in vogue years before their birth. This is what you get when you litter your blog with Kardashians, You unconsciously tend to put them ahead of things that was before their time.

Agbani and Mocheddah pulled the style off like a star.

Bella kindly post my comment.

16. kobayashi

April 22, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Nobody’s hand can grow hair. Cornrows are a protection style that aid length retention. Hair will grow no matter what.

17. kobayashi

April 22, 2016 at 9:06 pm

why are my comments always awaiting moderation. I have writing English aren’t I.

18. akabiaka

April 22, 2016 at 9:15 pm

No hand can grow hair. Cornrows aid length retention, Hair will grow regardless.

19. itz me again

April 22, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I’ve been rocking this hair do for a while now. Very friendly with present heat in naija and very affordable.

20. Prince

April 23, 2016 at 10:48 am

Even Toke fine pass Kim K, I don’t know why that chic is so overrated. She’s short and yet not fine, plastic everything.
    TIWA, you look great.

21. Lady D

April 25, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Been there, done that. Nothing new at all.

22. AbigailZambia

April 28, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Apart from weaves wigs etc…nothing is new from the West.. all these cornrows, braids, dotted hair, (like Yemi Alade`s style-she is my fav) started from Africa…we should blame ourselves for not being proud of our roots and want to sale our African swags which trended before we were born! Infact we should not even give them English names like cornrows NO! here in Zambia the cornrows are called “Mukule” how can Kim understand that swag am sure even Naija has some good local names!