Relationships

CNN Anchor Zain Asher is Engaged

BellaNaija.com

The Ejiofor family is getting ready for another union! CNN anchor and Oxford University alumna Zain Asher just got engaged.

The daytime anchor took a well-deserved vacation to Florida on April 1st, and we’re guessing he popped the question during or right after the trip –

Her younger sister, medical doctor Kandibe just got married during Christmas – click here if you missed it. All their family, including Hollywood hunk Chiwetel Ejiofor was in attendance.

The good news was shared on Instagram by Kandi, who says she’s so excited for the new addition to their family.

1. Fleur

April 5, 2016 at 12:45 pm

This her name na screen name abi Im papa different from Chiwetelu papa? Congrats.

• Me

April 5, 2016 at 2:15 pm

As in I always thought the same. Most Igbos born and bred abroad or the ones that have an oyinbo mother are usually ashamed of their surnames. I wonder why.

• nene+

April 5, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Who told you? Orue/gossip.

• nene+

April 5, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Me” dont get me angry!!!!. Ashamed of who and what? Isnt Chinwetel Igbo or Kandibe her sister Igbo?
      Its you who is ashamed of yours and so you call your self “ME”

I am Ibo and i am nene whats yours???? Mtcheew

If you like say you are Igbo and you know well. rubbish. Igbo are majorly Christians and so have either Igbo,English,or Biblical fist name and not surname.

Illitrate who have never left Lagos or Abuja.. Next time please dont type rubbish here.

Ashamed of what? Igbo Nigerian sweet surnames from all dialect?

• Star

April 5, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Clearly don’t know a lot of “Igbos” or people who live abroad

• trey

April 5, 2016 at 5:14 pm

The truth is that this lady will do anything to sound foreign. This marriage just sealed the deal. Watched one of her presentations and was a bit disappointed at the fact that she reinvented herself – name and all to make it in America. Others have done it while retaining their identity. She is intelligent and went to an ivy league school and would have still been successful if her name was “Amarachi Ogbulafor” -just saying. She only became associated with the Ejiofors when Chiwetel’s profile grew. Their mum is highly educated and although living in London is highly in touch with her Enugu roots as was witnessed at Kandibes traditional wedding. Was “Vain” there?

• Y

April 5, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Ashamed of gini sef? Kee udi nkogheli bukwanu nke a?
      Nawa for some people.

• Damilola

April 6, 2016 at 12:46 am

Nene, how old are you? You have a long rant with no answer to the reason the sister has a different name from her siblings.
      Maybe she goes by her Non traditional Igbo name. However, many Nigerians abroad switch, change to English names due to the difficulty/stress of correcting Americans on the pronounciation of your names. To make it easier for both of you, switch to an easier name especially in the corporate world. And many half American half Nigerian go with English names depending on how exposed and close they are to their nigerian side. Some Nigerians could care less, very comfortable, confident with their ethnic names.
      And yes, many Nigerians abroad are ashamed of their ethnic names. It’s just recently that Nigeria is getting a positive reputation and coverage with music, academics that many are wearing their names with pride. During 419 scam era, it was a shame being nigerian.
      When I lived in Cali, I believe there’s a larger Igbo population because I met more Igbos. Many Igbos especially ones that believe they look more American, acted American are not proud of their ethnic names at all. My friend chioma, isn’t proud of her name, so she goes by chia. She strictly dates white guys too. She always has a sense of satisfaction when people tell her, “oh you don’t look Nigerian/African” just like how Nigerians tell me, “oh, you don’t look Yoruba” which I find highly ignorant.

• "changing moniker"

April 9, 2016 at 8:02 pm

nene calm down….
      you’re beginning to sound quite ignorant…
      your rush to defend the igbo heritage (which wasn’t even attacjed) is causing you to spew rubbish.

2. pheobe

April 5, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Yaaaaas!!!! I’m so happy for her!

3. nene+

April 5, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Congrats Zain!
    Tot she changed her name due to marriage. May be the fathers first name is Asher. Congrats.

4. AJ

April 5, 2016 at 5:46 pm

It’s a shame that people like her are ashamed of their roots that’s why they feel the need for name change, irony is that her older brother that is more successful and popular embraced his name and gives him more brand equity. Some one like her was never going to marry a black man. Nothing wrong with interracial marriage. But if u are marrying because you are ashamed of your roots then you need to get your head checked. Going to Oxford will probably do that to you.

• osa

April 7, 2016 at 3:35 am

He modified it as well . Chiwetalu to Chiwetel.

Till date more igbo Nigerians in the diaspora have changed something significant about their lives. Eg using their father’s English first name as surname to make it seem as though their surname is English. Or using their husbands english first names.

Meanwhile most lower class igbos have English first names if you notice. The more educated ones stick to their roots.

5. Kemmie

April 5, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Congratulations to Zain and her bae. I once read somewhere that Asher was her married name. The information must have been wrong then. Guess it was an assumption on the part of the writer.

6. Y

April 6, 2016 at 10:49 am

@Damilola, you asked Nene how old she is? How nau? How? Smh.
    Someone wrote that MOST Igbos abroad were ashamed of their surnames, which is a false and disrespectful generalisation. Nene+ addressed that and gave names of Zain’s siblings with the same background but with Igbo names. Now you want Nene to tell you why Zain is called Zain Asher. I guess in Nene’s capacity as the patriarch of Ejiofor family right? I can see how grown up you are.
    And many Igbos you met in Cali are not proud of their ethnic names? Eyaa, ndo. Maybe you should go back to Cali, meet more Igbos, because you definitely met the wrong people.

• Damilola

April 6, 2016 at 4:28 pm

@Y I agree, asking how old Nene is irrelevant. It was a reaction to some of her comments here in general. Nene is entitled to her opinion.
      But I also believe she’s clueless of the struggles Nigerians face living abroad. One of the biggest struggle is, adjusting to the culture with our ethnic names. It’s not a taboo, false belief that many Nigerians are ashamed of their names because it’s partly a reality. And I understand it’s due to being made fun of growing up in America. And the society also present being American, having American name as the coolest thing ever.
      I specifically mentioned Cali because I grew up there and majority of Nigerians I associated with were Igbos. No, I didn’t hang with the wrong people. Some of them went by their ethnic names bcos they couldn’t do much about it but made it a conscious effort to strictly date American and associate with Americans. I’m speaking from experience. There’s an Igbo family in LA, all the men in the family date or married a light skin black girl or non black girl. And two of the dark skin girl in the family married white men. I’m not exaggerating. And my friend chioma, didn’t like her name. And she wasn’t the only Igbo I knew that was somewhat ashamed of their name. And of course, Yorubas are ashamed of their ethnic names. I’m responding to Nene giving the impression like Igbos are never ashamed of their names and it’s non existent which is not true.

• surprised

April 11, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Dami I grew up in Cali as well and your generalisations are VERY ignorant. How about the Kehinde in my college that went by Kandi? Or Wale that went by Wally? Or a Yoruba guy that changed his name to Arizona? COME ON!Let’s not make this a tribal thing, Some Nigerians(of all tribes) feel that to fit in they need to change their names. It’s not an Igbo thing.

I won’t even address your comment about the Igbo guys that dated light skinned Americans ’cause that statement makes me doubt if you really did grow up in Cali because A LOT of Nigerian men there do it. COME ON! Don’t twist facts to make a point.

• Anengiyefa

July 30, 2016 at 3:57 pm

My name is my name. I will not change it for anybody. And I have lived in England for 25 years using my name as it is and it has never affected me in any significant way. I am not English, my roots are in Nigeria and I am proud of that.

7. Jalord

April 6, 2016 at 2:50 pm

I think she changed her last name immediately after the engagement. Especially on her twitter acct lol. Wish them well. Wedding loading…

8. Mz Socially Awkward...

April 6, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Chiwetel, it’s just our engagement left to complete the circle. Whenever you’re ready, boo-boo… hehehehe

9. lin

April 10, 2016 at 9:21 pm

have sooo missed bella after relocating to the US last month… Chiwetel.. i pray you find your true love .. le moi … if wishes come true… #agirl’sallowedtodreamright #Godhearsme congrats zain #smiles

10. CMD

July 11, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Maybe she was married before and retained her married name after divorce. What does it matter that she bears non-Igbo names? Na wao! The things some folks get bent out of shape about. Abeg, talk to all the Bonifaces first. I’ve seen a Wande now Wendy, Kehinde-Kenny!

11. hhhh

July 11, 2016 at 11:42 pm

na so my first clas in my skool in the us , i hear one guy stand up ,with fake nigerian accent say in name na wally!!!,i chukled, and when he it came to my turn i spoke in my nigerian accent .omo i cant fit for headache and to change name, besides i know say after a couple of classes ,the students and the teacher will get the memo, and everyone will want my email, or phone number because the head is hot:), so i really dont make an effort to make u accept me , i present my native name as my name and never give you a short form or my english name .you will say it by fire by force.

12. Bebi

February 5, 2017 at 3:44 pm

She changed her name for work because of her brother’s fame interfering with her trying to make it on her own.
    Naw a for all the assumptions here

13. JayzevChetal

January 15, 2018 at 10:16 pm

I guess there aren’t any Nigerian men good enough =….