Music

“I Am Not Blown Away By Fame” – Simi Reveals + Why She Considers Herself to Be a ‘Tom Boy’

Simisola-Ogunleye-SimiEven though she is considered one of the leading lights in the Nigerian music industry, songbird Simi doesn’t consider herself a ‘celebrity’.

“Well, this is the real me that can still stop by and buy roasted plantain by the road side; I don’t feel uncomfortable, I am not blown away by fame because that  is not what excites me, what excites me is the music. I am happy about my celebrity status only because more people know my music and want to relate with it,” she told the Punch.

The X3m records act who revealed that she would like to work with veteran musicians Ebenezer Obey, King Sunny Ade and Pasuma sometime in the future, also divulged that she has always been a tomboy.

“While growing up, I was kind of a tom boy because I have three elder brothers, and from my mum I was the only girl and the last born. So I liked wearing sneakers, baggy jeans, and I was this bad girl who didn’t like too much trouble. My dad spoilt my brothers and me. We watched movies a lot, but my brothers preferred horror movies so we all watched it together. But it was fun. When I was nine years, my parents got separated and that was a really tough time for us because we had to grow up faster but we came through and we were good,” she said.

1. Halima

April 3, 2016 at 10:41 am

I like Simi’s music.

2. Dayo

April 3, 2016 at 11:37 am

I like her music but I wouldn’t describe her as a celebrity or famous ?. This article is a lil premature, why wouldn’t she be able to buy food on gbe street? Lol
    Hopefully her arrogance doesn’t become problem.

• Astar

April 3, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Lol

• Deola

April 3, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Did u stop to think that maybe she was only responding to qsts they were asking her. E.g “how has fame changed your life?” Is it absolutely necessary to be negative? Will u not still be alive if u just moved right along. PS: She is famous. Obviously not the most famous, but you can’t deny it. ?

• MerryDodo

April 3, 2016 at 6:43 pm

I knew her back in CU. Also with a few interviews I’ve seen her in,there’s just something about her that displays a slight air of arrogance. And no, I am not a hater. She has got talent.

3. jay

April 3, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Sweety, you aren’t famous (yet) neither are you a Tom boy. Beautiful voice though

• Jeffery

April 3, 2016 at 5:22 pm

She said she grew up as a tomboy cos of her brothers or was that part only in my mind ?

4. Abiola

April 3, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Idonno if it’s possible but can she please for the love of christ work on her voice, i always find myself laughing each time i hear her song.

5. Niyoola

April 3, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Simi is my favourite Naija female artiste! I love her so. She’s a celebrity, doesn’t matter if everyone knows her. y’all should just stop.
    Falz has also taken my heart fro Olamide. <3

Meanwhile, did i miss the sequel to Jamb Question video?

6. Tosin

April 3, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Just do it! (Remember? Nike?)

7. Ijebujesha

April 3, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Nigerians sha. Asides Cabasa’s gang (9ice, reminise, Olamide and Cabasa himself), any little success by these entertainers, they keep talking about how they can or how they can’t buy boli and roasted corn on the streets? Lol….Who are y’all for God’s sake? That’s why I just love the oyinbo lifestyle and even a job or business of 100 trillion USD per day in 9ija cant take me back there..Nigerian ways just don’t appeal to me, it’s too good a country for me.

8. Rayva

April 4, 2016 at 12:42 am

She is arrogant and a bit of a snub, always has and always would be. Wish her all the success she needs to find herself.

9. mysongz

April 4, 2016 at 5:38 am

She is still coming up nau…..she bera do something such as a hit back to back to be top on the calendar o…