Career

Joseph Okoh: You Don’t Really Need a University Degree

dreamstime_l_58864005Wait…Please don’t shoot me yet. I’ll explain.
Not too long ago I attended a seminar presentation organised for final year students in one of Nigeria’s premier universities. I was invited by an old classmate who works there as a lecturer. The venue was packed full with academicians, friends and supporters of the final year students. The students were literally going to ‘teach’ their lecturers. It was one of the final hurdle the students had to cross before graduating. They were all looking to score additional grade points that would be crucial in deciding their honours.

For me, it felt good to be there only as a guest and not a student. Don’t ask me why.
Despite the crowd, it was quite easy to identify those who were billed to make presentations, as they were all sharply dressed. However, I noticed something odd about them. Their dressing didn’t complement their facial expressions.

While their dressing was saying; ‘bring it on’ their faces seemed to be saying; ‘who sent me to school sef?’
I also saw a student who kept fighting with his tie. At some point I thought he was going to strangle himself. It was probably his first time of wearing a tie! Oh well, things we do for degrees.

What’s my point? Nigerians are too degree conscious. Notice I didn’t use the word education (because it has various forms) but degree. Why do we always let society trick us into believing that formal education is the ultimate, and that without it we would hardly make anything out of life? Why have we let our parents convince us that without going through the walls of a university for example, we’ll be nothing but second class citizens?

In my book, I don’t see formal education as a yardstick for success, not least when I see many people who have spent more than half of their lives in classrooms only to end up being jobless.

Should we continue to support many Nigerians killing the other skills and talents they possess just because we want them to pass Maths and English? Skills and talents that could have been used in other areas for national development.

Britain arguably has the best educational system in the world. As developed as they are you’ll be surprised how many Britons can’t even boast of a degree but that doesn’t mean they are labelled nonentities. Unlike Nigeria, the British government doesn’t stereotype them.

I’m in no way trying to knock formal education; of course we should have complete freedom to do whatever pleases us. I only wish the government can stop the bias for formal education over informal one. I’d like to see more Nigerians not having the fallacious idea that accumulating degrees is the pinnacle of life.
Sadly there are many Nigerians who don’t like book studying, but lack the balls to tell their sponsors they want out. So, they remain in some kind of educational bondage.

If I had any shred of doubt whether this argument is valid, watching Nigerian ace musician 2Baba – a university drop out, being conferred with honorary Masters degree by Igbinedion University recently (with so much pomp), that would have been enough reason to validate my point.

Have you thought about this: How many taught Masters degrees do Nigerian moneybags Aliko Dangote, Folorunsho Alakija or Michael Ibra have?

I’m lucky to have parents and family members who are ever willing to sponsor my education at any level. I’m happy to give that kind of support to my kids too. However, I won’t be unsupportive if they chose an unconventional career path. I won’t threaten to disown them.
I’ve made a decision to compulsorily give them the basic primary and secondary school education. Whatever they want to do after that is completely up to them. There isn’t going to be a ‘you must be a doctor’ syndrome in my home. Never!

The only exception to this would be if they’re veering towards the path of illegality or are becoming too adventurous with their brains like trying to be degree collectors with no realistic plan; BSc in economics, MSc in architecture and PhD in agriculture.

Employers in public and private establishments should be more considerate with candidates who may not have attended a university but possess the skills and qualifications for a job. No tertiary qualification should be seen as inferior and parents should stop deciding careers for their children.
So what do you think?

Let’s hear your thoughts.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

Joseph Amaechi Okoh is a realist and a student of life. With the believe that man is always in the process of self-discovery, he never shies away from trying new things. He is a qualified soil scientist, event moderator and broadcast journalist who is passionate about the environment. He enjoys writing and traveling. He tweets @joe_okoh1

1. Aina

May 24, 2016 at 8:27 pm

University degree to me is relevant,if you can cope and afford it.No knowledge is lost,it will help you to be well prepared in life’s difficult terrain.

• Ozyy

May 25, 2016 at 8:10 am

Well Said. I keep seeing ways my education has helped me. I can never thank GOD and my parents enough. If you can afford it, why not.

2. dizzy

May 24, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Please education is very very important, leave this kumbaya hippie nonsense. The stats speak for themselves, the vast majority of successful people all over the world have a very good formal education. very very few are exempt to this rule. Abeg no come here dey advocate mediocrity……Mr Soil scientist.

• LemmeRant

May 24, 2016 at 11:00 pm

Why do you think having no degree equates to mediocrity. This is what usually gets employees fired or laid out. I see it constantly.

“Worked hard in school, got a great degree and then you feel that is the end. I can just sit
      back and enjoy – that was what our parents told us.”

Most times you’ll find that the things we learnt in school have very little bearing

3. Onaimoh

May 24, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Joseph!
    God bless you.
    I am about to marry a dude with no degree & I am freaked out cos people keep telling me it won’t work. I am educated but he is not.
    He has a job, pays the bills and is successful.
    I developed cold feet because of what people said and will continue to say!
    Thanks for this.

• me

May 25, 2016 at 11:25 am

@ Onaimoh, formal education does not guarantee success. What you should be looking out for in your guy is the ‘broadness of his thinking’ and the ‘clarity of his life goals/vision’ I will take a guy who did not go the university but has a broad mind and clear goals over one who has a phd and waiting for life to reward him, any time.
      Btw, i am not a university graduate, even though i am currently studying for a business degree online. I have been working at a corporate establishment for close to four years now. I earn a good pay and have the respect of my peers because i am GOOD at my job. Most people would be shocked to learn i do not already have a university degree!

4. Questions

May 24, 2016 at 9:12 pm

What does it even mean to be educated? Or successful?

• sammiewolf

May 25, 2016 at 11:35 am

Apparently, the average Nigerian can’t answer this question correctly…if I had just one Naira for every time I have felt embarrassed at hearing a Nigerian ‘graduate’ speak, Dangote would have nothing on me right now.

5. Somi ramassi

May 24, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Hmm nice

6. Somi ramassi

May 24, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Nice

7. Nkechi

May 24, 2016 at 9:43 pm

I understand your arguments in the article but one thing is this; not everyone will be as big as Dangote or Folorunsho Alakija without a degree. Don’t even think their children are towing their path. The last time I checked, her children went to University in England. She did not plan hers that way. Her father did not believe in educating women. Remember she is married to a lawyer.

8. Baby gurl

May 24, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Michael Ibru not Ibra. Any way to the issue at hand, I have pondered the length and breadth of this topic beyond healthy levels. Having recently completed a mediocre MBA in Oil & Gas Mgt after a mediocre BSc in Economics with no job in sight, I often end up asking what the point is. Sometimes I blame the country I was born into, sometimes I blame my inability to face my parents head on and demand they give me the enabling space to pursue my passion for fashion. I don’t think there could ever be a Yes or No answer for a question or statement of this nature. Definitions of success vary across geographies and among individuals. Mark Zuckerberg has no degree. He is successful to me. Donald Trump has a degree. He is successful to me. Whenever I look at the job requirements of heavyweights like Shell, GE, Google and the like, I ponder at their short-sightedness in focusing on degrees and degree classes . Forward looking companies like EY and Zappos look beyond the increasingly irrelevant degrees and degree classes and into the ability, tenacity and adaptability of the individual. That is the future. The future demands new skills and what we have been used to will never solve the incoming challenges of the world. Thanks Joseph for bringing this crucial issue up. There is more to talk about it but I shall rest at this point.

• Hmmm

May 24, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Be pondering… That’s why GE is GE, Shell is Shell, and Google is Google! Can you teach them how to recruit better than them????

There is a science to these things, they have been doing it for decades, and have results to show. They are doing to it right!

• LemmeRant

May 24, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Just as a side note. If you want to work in Google. and you don’t have a degree. Start a project that would be worthy of their attention. – They would be the one to contact you for an interview.

I don’t know about your field of study. But there are tons of autodidacts (self taught) programmers working there today and working on very exciting projects.

It’s really simple actually as I’m an employer myself and i don’t really value degrees so much.
      But this is the thing – if your degree can’t speak for you, let your work speak for you.

You see, the later is more important, since you’ve proven you can do the job. Good luck 🙂

• Lucinda

May 24, 2016 at 11:03 pm

It’s a dog eat dog thing and you have to compensate for what others have that you don’t. That includes networking, getting a degree or 2, knowing one or 2 foreign languages and learning a skill relating to your passion AT THE SAME DAMN TIME. Dangote’s grandfather was once rumoured to be the richest man in West Africa and he lived a very simple life. Around this time, some of our great grandfathers had over 20 wives! Zuckerberg dropped out from an Ivy League school. Getting into an Ivy League school is not beans! Folorunso Alakija was bff with Maryam Babangida. People who overlook the importance of having a degree either have “fantastically” solid leverage or are lazy/afraid to leave their comfort zone.

• lacey

May 25, 2016 at 6:29 am

Thank you Joseph! All this Education can be wash sometimes! Here in the US,you will see roles for a Java developer with analytics/data analyst! Should have risk management and compliance and be able to work with across functional team in sales,finance and IT! All for inside one role them go come add should have a Phd! Na God punish them for this America,they make person they combine nonsense,because wey book don too much, it will become non-sense! GE,Ernst and Young,all the top Invst bank are all culprits! Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates them be drop outs! Even late Steve Jobs! My dear no new thing wey anybody wan invent again, the world is at his peak right now! Going back to the basics! Farming! This is high level slavery in America and the UK! The bubble will soon burst! Make person train him children to play football,Soccer, music/acting! According to my prof! Time is coming your fridge will send message of things needed to grocery stores! More jobs will be gone!end time happenings!It is well! Abeg cooling off! The world is a global village,If Nor be this Buhari nonsense person for don come chill for Nja small for my village! But now no way! Because Lagos and Abuja is a waste of travel! But the countryside in Nigeria is Bae!

9. Sinachy

May 24, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Do we always have to associate success with money? I mean it’s definitely hard to separate both but information empowers. I feel the focus shld be on reorienting the teachers, lecturers and parents to emphasize hard-work and creativity rather than grades.

10. brightness Mka

May 24, 2016 at 10:21 pm

You are absolutely correct,the certificate is valued more than the process of educating the mind,so what one gets from the regular degree fanatics is a very limited view of how to navigate through life.

11. Spunky

May 24, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Very well…what a lot of people don’t know is that most firms,especially the corporate sector often hire based on experience and training applicable to ones field or interest. Not saying acquiring multiple degrees is not important. However, we should focus our energy and learning process in the right direction…Person go spend half of him life on book and when you read finish and ready to move forward, thats when you are told you are over qualified or too old. Well done!

12. Strit Kredibility

May 24, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Nigerian has always been a country high on trend and low on thought. The trend of certificate by all means started with a few privileged people traveling abroad to acquire western education and coming back to oppress their fellow countrymen. They created a class system that helped them corner all benefits to the poverty of the largely creative, hardworking, never-travelled Nigerian. Oppressed parents started to vow that their children whether they have aptitude or not for academic work must go to university and to white man land to acquire those degrees their oppressors have.

From survivalist intention, it turned to a thing of pride and prestige. Parents started showing off their children with university degrees especially of dignified subject like law, medicine, Engineering, dismissing and writing off those without as lowly and undesirable. So everybody learnt the hard way and i-must-get-degree became a national obsession. The schools became crowded, the conditions deteriorated, the lecturers pay meager, (so they had to cut corners to give themselves some respect, hence their extra curricular runs)

The polytechnic system that was devised to cater for technical oriented student suffered the worst form of discrimination and abandonment. Aside from the fact that the polytechnics were ill equipped and underfunded, their graduates couldn’t find a sense of belonging with employment opportunities. There was a dichotomy and a cap that prevent them from getting the same level as their Bachelor Degree counterpart.

My eyes have seen so many things as regards to this bro. people with all sorts of multiple degrees and certification yet very pedestrian in thinking, lacking the composite capacity for original thought. and not well rounded and equipped for life after school and outside their comfort zone. So what you get are university graduate on paper in a wilderness of confusion, waiting and hinging all their hopes on white collar jobs that are few and highly sought after, heavily nepotistic, overrated, underpaid and dream killer.

I must confess, When i left Nigerian University i did not know any jack thing. I must confess. I sat down one day and said to myself what have i learnt from this school to give me an edge in the very competitive world. I spent more than 80% of the duration of my course looking for either decent water or straining under half electric current and candle, jostling hostel space, cowering to bullying lecturers, strike action, overzealous admin staffs, to submit assignment war, to sit for test stress, to attend lectures, a head shaking experience the whole experience was unfriendly to learning.

The Nigerian project is still been run as an experiment and all man to himself. The fault wasn’t in the vision of the framers of our school system but in the mission. Ofcourse the systemic degeneracy of state and societal value added to the rot and worthlessness of our certificate. So these days going to school only means one thing to most people; go get that certificate anywhichway, announce and flaunt it, use it to get a job and go with the flow or on the flip side, suffer long and wait on God to throw you a lifeline. Let me stop here as no be only me waka come.

Sorry i wrote this much i didn’t want to abridge my thoughts. Typos unintended

13. Emmanuel

May 24, 2016 at 10:45 pm

This topic is very tricky…

The honest truth is… Formal education is what works for the 90%.

The 10% don’t need it. For them, its a nice to have not a must have.

So, its up to you to know if you’re part of the 90% who need formal education or if you’re part of the 10% who can earn as much (as the 90%) over a life time without formal education.

• Eve

May 25, 2016 at 7:21 am

If it works for 90%, how do you explain the 68% jobless graduates out there ? Or the 10-12% who graduate but dont practice in the field that they have studied?

• ola

May 25, 2016 at 9:38 am

lol 90% how many people in Europe and America do you think attend universities?

14. nene

May 24, 2016 at 10:54 pm

a degree used to be the key to success, but not these days. a degree does not guarantee success. personally, i think they’re many course that could do without a 4 year degree or university degree. degrees have gotten so pointless in nigeria especially, you see almost every nigerian under 25 with a masters degree, it’s not the same abroad. you can be successful without a degree but you will work really hard, unless you come from a rich home and you might be successful in business,

15. Laide

May 24, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Dear Writer, You demonstrated narrow mindedness in your last paragraph. That is a big mistake we make as Africans–we fail to see the interconnections among disciplines. The combination of B. Sc in economics, M.Sc in architecture and PhD in agriculture is a seller in international development. With God on your side, that combination positions you for a stellar career with international banks and United Nations. I have a friend who has a master’s in Civil Engineering and pursuing a PhD in agricultural economics. He has traveled to multiple countries to collect research data funded by development agencies and has received competitive fellowships in the US for his ability to use skills from both disciplines to address development issues. Why do you think nurses and doctors go for masters or PhD in sociology? Critical problems demand interdisciplinary approaches. Think outside the box.

16. KZ

May 24, 2016 at 11:47 pm

I do agree with some of the point you expressed in this article but i totally disagree with majority of your point. Yes, having a degree does not certify or confirm the amount of success that a person will have but having education(degree) is a very vital information that boost one confidence and definitely broaden one knowledge and that is a very important aspect of human live. 2face’s honorary degree does not in any way validate any of your point that degree is not important in our live. 2 face is uneducated and is successful because he is talented and everybody never going to have that kind of talent. As far as i am concern, you’r a good example for me to validate my point that education play a vital role one life because, one thing i am sure about is that you will not have been able to write a well organize article like this or have the confidence or knowledge to know that you write to bellanaija if you are uneducated. In summary,Everybody cant be doctor or engineer but everybody need knowledge to succeed in anything they do. Without basic knowledge, one cannot even organize a family not to talk of business.

17. KZ

May 24, 2016 at 11:47 pm

18. Dream Analysis @Ibe Tochukwu

May 24, 2016 at 11:53 pm

yeah, he is actually right, you don’t really need a degree to be successful. Education is just to brush you up to the realities of life.

19. Private enterprise

May 25, 2016 at 1:20 am

Thanks for this article! One would expect that after 60 years of tertiary education in Nigeria we would have research facilities and innovative ideas to write home about. We even lack the capacity to copy already developed western technology like the Chinese and Indians are doing. We still by Tecno phones and use Indian Keke napeps and Keke marwas. What are our doctors and engineers doing? Electricity is a 100 year old technology we are unable to recreate. Our public transport systems are not befitting for 21st century citizens of the world. Young graduates, do not get a degree for degree sake. Solve problems and you will find your riches.

The government will never save Nigeria, only Private enterprise will.

20. Bowl

May 25, 2016 at 2:27 am

i couldn’t agree more with the writer. A certificate assures of one thing ;a comfort zone (when it fetches a job )a prelude to perpetual servanthood. I went through medical school and currently trying to finish residency program, I don’t think I want to force any of my children through the university. There are a lot of things we need to understand about university education , for most black Africans, it seems t he white man threw a challenge when he said look I have knowledge bound in this book but I know your brain is too dense you can’t understand. So to prove him wrong we fell for it. Not like Nigerian students read these days. It seems the more foreign the certificate the better deal .Believe me Nigerians , there is no way we can make our mark on this small planet if we continue this day.

21. Bowl

May 25, 2016 at 2:33 am

I meant this way.

22. Bowl

May 25, 2016 at 2:44 am

If you have particular skills or trade you ply, teach your children well . You never know. So much of this certificates keep our youths in boxes and they think through the same all the time.the entire educational system needs complete overhaul. Our children wil need to know that the aim of mathematics is not to score an A in WAEC or afford them chance of studying medicine but for them to be able to raise equations to balance/ solve common life problems. Humanity and sociology can be studied outside the university. How? By keenly observing mankind! In the words of Albert Einstein, natural curiosity outdoes formal education all the time!

23. Eve

May 25, 2016 at 7:35 am

Ohhh black people, learn to change with the times. We all have our personal gifts and talents that the creator has embedded in us. Find that talent. Keep learning. We live in the most wonderful times ever, you dont have to sit in a classroom to learn. Go online and read. EDUCATE YOURSELVES!!! Even the UK government have realised that a formal education isnt the prerequisite for success and introduced the apprenticeship scheme and help people develop their talents and skills. Finally, i think its Alvin Toffler who said and I quote ” the illetrate of the 21st century isnt the man who cannot read and write, its the one who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn” Now think on that people.

24. My view

May 25, 2016 at 8:03 am

In my opinion, the world is evolving everyday with the power of science and technology. history of the world is traced to science hence making formal education important for all. Dangote and the likes as the writer mentioned can testify to the importance of education even if they don’t have a degree. my advice, acquire a degree if u can afford it.

25. coke

May 25, 2016 at 9:38 am

The more you live the more you learn, learn anything any everything no knowledge is lost.

26. ThatAbiribaBae

May 25, 2016 at 9:44 am

Have you also noticed that these “educated” dropouts or uneducated successful people you’ve mentioned e.g. Aliko Dangote rarely (if ever) employ drop outs like them to work for them? Wisdom is profitable to direct.

While I agree that your degree may not be an ultimate gate to your getting a job or becoming successful (See: independent.co.uk/student/news/nearly-40-of-graduates-still-hunting-for-jobs-six-months-after-leaving-university-9135958.html); I still believe that, especially in Nigeria, a degree holder is more likely to get a white collar job than a non degree holder.

But then again, your goals/aspirations in life should determine what you should go for…

27. Susan

May 25, 2016 at 9:44 am

I agree with you 100%.Basic education primary1 to ss3. Is ok for a child to grow.We are too certificate conscious in Nigeria. Very soon,we shall be importing hairdressers barbers and carpenters! Pls what’s wrong in learning these handwork? they too can be grouped as education! Because u need to be taught before u can know it and aquiring knowledge is education. What’s more,I’ve seen amala seller building mansion. You can make money if you know your trade well.

28. Grace

May 25, 2016 at 9:58 am

I totally understand your article but permit me to stress this point, the skill set you get from education is more important. You can’t trade it for anything. I think the problem is that most people just get the degree for the title but don’t go through the “process” of education. If you can be ptient enough to integrate the education process with your talents, you’ll be amazed at what you’ll achieve.

29. larz

May 25, 2016 at 10:28 am

I dont know if Britain arguably has the best educational system in the world or even Europe for that matter. It may have the best universities but I doubt it can be said to have the best system (when you combine all private and public options available).

I think it might be simplistic to leave it at not needing a university degree and dig a lot deeper. Here are points to note:

1) A learning plan: more often than not, people choose going to university like shopping addicts do. They need to buy something, it doesn’t matter what, anything will do. I have seen people study study mass comms even though they never want to walk in that field, medicine even though they are scared of hospital smells etc. We should encourage our young people to take their time before choosing a career even if they have to take time off between secondary school education and primary school. I remember, I heard of a Nigerian that came to study in the UK who studied A levels, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Law, Economics in one go. I just didn’t understand why so many diverse choice of courses. When it came time to choose a course for university education, this person chose a degree in further maths and was encouraged to do so by their parents. Fast forward a few years and they admitted it was the worst decision of their life. The decision to study further maths was not based on passion for the subject but because they did well at it in University. Surprisingly, they didn’t get to any top universities with their awesome grades because guess what, Oxford and Cambridge want someone who is driven by a passion for a course. They know that, whilst they have the ability to teach people academics, it is the passion in people that will drive them to make own discoveries that will take the world by storm. This person resigned themselves to becoming a maths teacher in a secondary school, feeling less fulfilled (and definitely less rewarded) than their less talented school mates. Dont get me wrong, teaching is a noble profession, one I believe should be chosen as a result of ones calling and not because they ran out of choice.

2) Technical education: I havent experienced university education in Nigeria but a few of my friends that did their first degree in Nigeria and followed up with their masters degree abroad quickly found that there is more to education. In naija, you can cram and pass exams because that is all you are rated on in most cases but university education should be a preparation to a future in your career/ chosen field so should include field work, researches etc to bring you up to speed enough to be able to speak the language / at least be able to communicate somewhat with seasoned professionals in that field. Isn’t it funny how in a country like naija, where people like to chop awoof, we don’t have exchange programs between universities and companies where for as little as enough money to cover transport and feeding costs, promising students can be recommended for internship and so-on so they can come out technically sound with some knowledge of their industry.

30. sammiewolf

May 25, 2016 at 11:57 am

I see your point, and completely agree. I think though, that the writer was referring to the pointless act of just collecting degrees without a clear cut career focus or dream. Basically, lazy people who never seem to know what they want to do with their lives-and I must say that I have seen a lot of people towing this line.

31. Temitope

May 25, 2016 at 12:55 pm

So your argument is that because the likes of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates didn’t go to college to be successful or change the world so school isn’t the way to go! For every successful person who did not go to school, place that with the ratio who actually did go to school. Come up with the figures.. Well you need to go to school to actually do that maths! And when you do end up with your fortune 500 company.. Please hire individuals who didn’t go to college either since you totally believe that rhetoric.. and one more thing.. don’t rush to that college educated doctor or lawyer or accountant when you need their services! Stand by what you believe in, then I might think about believing you. Till then some us appreciate a college education…Selah

32. Grace

May 25, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Writer, you did say a lot. I actually went to school(University in Nigeria) because i wanted to feel amongst graduates. I didnt learn nothing, i just wanted the certificate. TO cut the long story short, i went to the UK for Masters, low and behold my parents aint the well to do i had to also take care of myself i did odd jobs to pay for space,and do other little stuffs for myself(make i no go die)do you know like 3 of the places i was working,my bosses didnt have a certificate,?i was even older than them…they were paying their own morgage,and doing so well for themselves and i am running a masters programme and cant even boast of a bike in Nigeria then. Fast forward to back in Nigeria, to come get job let alone a good job was a tug of war.. So then i ask myself what was the need for going to school? Atleast i can read and write and it counts alot.

• Yori

May 26, 2016 at 5:09 pm

I agree with you – your university effort was a total waste – it is lo & behold (I will excuse that as an auto correct perhaps?) but you will not get away with STUFFS?!! That is not a word! Sigh!