News

Rita Edochie reveals Sad Details about Teenage Pregnancy after Abuse

BellaNaija.com

Rita-EdochieIt is so disheartening to read this.

Earlier this week, Nollywood actress Rita Edochie revealed that she had been sexually assaulted as a child and this resulted in a pregnancy and birth.

Now, she is clarifying her earlier statement and revealing more details on the circumstances.

Today in Abuja, she shared that she was unaware that she was pregnant when she was in primary six.

Edochie told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in an interview that contrary to a story that she did not tell her mother about the pregnancy, she was not even aware of her situation.

“Though a boy used diabolic means and sexually abused me; I was not aware, I could not tell exactly how it happened.

“I was not aware that I was pregnant then; I was so tiny.

“We were playing games in the school; the type that the instructor or referee will say `number one’ and pupils with number 1 would run and collect something.

“It was during the game that a fellow pupil insulted me that my tummy was like a breadfruit; I was angered and beat her up,” she said.

She explained that the lesson teacher then asked them to go home and bring their parents.

The actress said that she was a young innocent girl who could not tell lies to the mother or against the mother.

“When I got home, I told my mother what led to the fight; she then asked me to raise up my dress; I did and after examination, she said that I was pregnant.

“When she said, ‘do you know that you are pregnant,’ I fainted; any other story aside this is not true,’’ Edochie said.

Thanks Rita for sharing. She has empowered others out there to know they are not alone. We definitely need stiffer penalties and better protection from predators for children in Nigeria.

1. Melane

May 29, 2016 at 5:13 am

God bless her heart

2. Gorgeous

May 29, 2016 at 6:18 am

I am sorry but I feel more for the child in the middle of this. Why will she bring this up in public when this child is probably alive and constantly living with the consequence of his birth. There are some things that should be kept between you and your psychologist when you decide to keep a child of such circumstance. She is free to give advice but not so detailed. Haba! Na wa o

• Shola

May 29, 2016 at 11:01 am

I am a product of rape darling. No we don;t need to be felt sorry for. We need more Nigerian women like her to talk about the pain they have gone through. Loud and clear from the top of a building so we can stop all this information been hidden behind close doors. And challenge people like you to encourage and show compassion to a woman who decides to tell her story. Nigerian women have held themselves captives for too long. Because of ‘what the people would say’ People like you. This woman overcame and is still strong 40years after been raped during a time of innocence. Hmm do you understand this type of strength? Her child would be proud. I am proud of my own mother.

• eyong

May 29, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Please, keep your mouth shut! Do you know the statistics of how many women commit suicide after being raped? Do you know the statistics of how many teenage girls die while trying to abort pregnancies illegally annually? Why don’t you take your own advice and keep your comment for your own psychologist? I mean, you must have one if you think there’s something wrong with someone sharing a story like this. Bush mentality is real.

• TEE

May 29, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Exactly my thought when i read the headline , its very selfish of her , you never how this kind of story can go and more intrestingly why now ? There are ways she could have shared the story or inspired others without dragging your child into it .

3. Jasmine

May 29, 2016 at 8:11 am

But I read that she was promiscuous even at Onitsha?

• dazzy

May 29, 2016 at 10:29 am

Keep reading! One day you’ll probably read that you gave up your cherry on UPPER IWEKA bridge by 10am on a Monday morning!

I bet you’d be delighted and also figure out how good and pleasant it is to swallow every thing you read on the Internet, hook, line and sinker darling!

• Shola

May 29, 2016 at 11:09 am

Even if she was, do we define her by that? Many of our actions as young women were done during time’s of immaturity. Season’s where we were lost, seeking for love. living in broke homes, going through emotional abuse from parents. You now have defined and concluded on a women’s worth because she was promiscuous. Woe to us to think you my love have not made terrible choices in your own life. We can’t continue to propel judgement on other female’s mistakes and use that as the final bus stop of their lives.

• Halima

May 29, 2016 at 11:41 am

Jasmine, keep kwayet. You heard she was promiscuous. She was in primary 6 and a minor when she found out she was preggy. What could be promiscuous about her? It’s your time that blame women when they are sexually abused because you feel they didn’t dress properly or were being ‘promiscuous

• Iris

May 29, 2016 at 12:34 pm

So…she was a promiscuous primary 6 student? I’m confused. What has that got to do with being raped?
      She has come out to publicly confirm what happened to her and you’re busy talking about speculations you read somewhere.

• Abk

May 29, 2016 at 1:22 pm

You read and you automatically believed it to be true?

• Tunmi

May 29, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Haba!!!!! How can a kid, a CHILD, be promiscuous and you yourself didn’t correct that and brought that here. A child cannot be promiscuous. Any sexual relations with a child is against consent, rape.

• Naijatalk

May 29, 2016 at 2:01 pm

That you read it does not the truth make it.

4. @yorubadboi1

May 29, 2016 at 8:52 am

i thought it was between two minors but what is wrong is wrong!
    I know after she put the story out there, she was more stressed than relieved hence this. I’m not saying she shouldn’t share her story but she’d be more stressed because people will just jump anyhow and start assuming anything.

I feel bad for rape victims sha because I try to picture a gay man trying to rape me….Haaaa!

Women should do this, parents should do this, men should not do this blah blah blah……rubbish! We should just pray and watch for the guide and guard of our children/women. We can’t be watchful enough hence the prayer and we can’t be prayerful enough hence the watching!

• Tunmi

May 29, 2016 at 1:48 pm

It may not be a gay man. It could very well be a heterosexual man or a woman

5. Halima

May 29, 2016 at 11:42 am

6. Tibi

May 29, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Lack of sexual education is the problem. I didn’t know anybody was not suppose touch your private part until one day I was bleeding profusely and got beat for it. I was 6. The other some tried to push me in their car and my mom said it was because of my red lipstick. Another time a minor asked me to help him hide his weed I obviously refused and my mother once again said it was because I wore a v-neck silk camisole that according to her show’d my breast. The idea that all of these things happen because of what I’m wearing is fucking beyond me.

• bree

July 1, 2016 at 12:03 pm

exactly Tibi i was almost raped too thank God for the rescue i got while the boy fled, i was even in ss3 at this time and my dad said it was because i made my hair with attachments,imagine!!!

7. Apple Berry

May 29, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Mama let it rest already….

• Shola

May 29, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Why should she let it rest?

So that more women can continue to die in isolation because of the stigma of rape.

8. jojo

May 29, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Brave woman. May you continue healing and speaking up for the silent sufferers of abuse. God bless you

9. Chic

May 30, 2016 at 8:49 am

There was nothing like Juju in this. She gave her consent to it thinking that the man will marry her. The child in question is 30+, so how can she be in primary six then. Pls Rita stop tarnishing the image of a good man. We may decide to go public like u did which…………….There was nothing like assault pls readers take note.