Music

“When I look in the Audience I see a Bunch of Fake Smiles” – Justin Bieber’s Thoughts on Performing at Award Shows

BellaNaija.com

AS VEGAS, NV - MAY 22: Recording artist Justin Bieber performs onstage during the 2016 Billboard Music Awards at T-Mobile Arena on May 22, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

LAS VEGAS, NV – MAY 22: Recording artist Justin Bieber performs onstage during the 2016 Billboard Music Awards at T-Mobile Arena on May 22, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Award-Winning Pop Star Justin Bieber has come out to slam award shows barely a day after performing and winning two awards at the 2016 Billboard Music Awards.

His reason for this, the star-studded audience members often put on “fake smiles” for the cameras.

On the BBMAs stage, Justin performed a medley of “Company” and “Sorry” and he has come out to let fans know that he really doesn’t feel good at awards shows;

Here’s what he shared on Instagram:

I don’t know about these award shows.. No disrespect to anybody at any of the shows or the people running it. Nothing but love for you guys and your support. But I don’t feel good when I’m there nor after. I try to think of it as a celebration but can’t help feeling like people are rating and grading my performance. A lot of people in the audience there to be seem worried about how much camera time they will get or who they can network with. When I’m doing a regular show I feel they are there for the right reasons and to strictly have a good time! But these award shows seem so hollow. I get the premise is to award people for their accomplishments, but is it really? Because when I look in the audience I see a bunch of fake smiles so that when the camera hits them they look happy. Sure there are people truly proud of others so I don’t want to knock them I’m just looking at the vast majority. I just think to myself if I’m living my purpose I want the reward to be fulfillment. I’m getting awarded for the things that I’m doing and not for who I am which is understandable I know it would probably be hard to calculate and award someone’s spirit lol. But When I do get these awards the temptation of putting my worth in what I do is so hard to fight!!!I am privileged and honored to be recognized by my peers in but in these settings I can’t feel the recognition. There’s an authenticity missing that I crave! And I wonder does anybody else.. Sorry not sorry about grammar it’s not my strong point

Earlier this month, Justin told his fans (also via Instagram)that he wouldn’t pose with them for selfies anymore because it makes him “feel like a zoo animal”.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Kevin Winters

1. Udegbunam Chukwudi

May 23, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Hmmmm, this boy be making sense everyday sha ???

2. xplorenollywood.com

May 23, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Maybe he should just not interact! He’s having feelings day n day that stuff n people aren’t real, so just cut everything, take a break n discover u!

3. Ashley

May 23, 2016 at 11:36 pm

justin I love they boy everything about him love

4. marlvina

May 24, 2016 at 12:49 am

I hope he’s alright tho? It seems he shld see à psychologist.

5. Raker

May 24, 2016 at 1:17 am

Justin Bieber is an overrated star and he knows it. He’s songs are good but these fans of underaged white girls are hyping it too damn much. Same thing goes for Taylor swift.

• Ene

May 24, 2016 at 4:35 am

Why do people say Taylor Swift is overrated?How many of her songs do you know?She is an instrumentalist and a song writer. Don’t be fooled by the persona she puts up.

6. Sai sai

May 24, 2016 at 8:34 am

Hez been acting weird lately, started way before he told his fans not to take pictures with him..seems like he is having mid life crisis already..he has to get a grip on life before he hurts himself

7. coke

May 24, 2016 at 8:50 am

do you hear voices also?

8. Tosin

May 24, 2016 at 10:40 am

Purpose is a great work…
    He’s discovering all these settings are toxic to him, the next step is to cut down his exposure to them.

9. Iris

May 24, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Okay I know this is completely unrelated, but I always get slightly bitter when oyibo people say grammar is not their strong point or when they make a heinous spelling or grammatical error. I get bitter because I remember how many of us have to take TOEFL and IELTS to prove we can speak English as if everybody in their area is an English don. In this day of ‘I should of done it’ it is even looking like na we better pass.
    Also I think Justin is suffering from something close to depression and needs a break from celebrity culture.

• Jezebel

May 24, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Lol! I agree. They should send him to nigeria to grow tomatoes. There he will find the meaning of life. Long market woman hiss.

10. Ever Green

May 25, 2016 at 1:39 pm

@Jezebel you are too funny o jare