Music

Seyi Shay says “One Dance was Wizkid’s Song”… Wizkid responds “She Lied”

Seyi Shay enjoyed a fruitful trip to Jamaica including media engagements and possible musical collaborations. During an interview with Onstage TV, Seyi Shay said that Drake‘s “One Dance” was actually Wizkid‘s song. She went on to say that “It’s actually Wizkid’s song, It’s not Drake’s song, I don’t know if I can talk about this but Wizkid wrote it, Legendary Beatz did the beat and some other Nigerian producers produced it as an Afrobeats song and they stripped a lot of the music away and just left the rhythm”.

This has caused controversy and chatter on the music scene but now Wizkid has clarified by saying “She Lied”. Though he later added, “Love my girl Seyi Shay regardless.”

Wizkid Seyi Shay

Seyi Shay has now apologized via Twitter. She says she was misinformed.
Seyi Shay Wizkid One Dance

Watch the Full Interview below

1. marlvina

June 19, 2016 at 10:14 pm

@ Seyi Shay. This is what you call “work, no send”….Mshewww!

2. Nne

June 19, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Ewooooooooo!!!! Big Ela!!! ???

3. Tee

June 19, 2016 at 10:19 pm

This was a comment that someone left on TopeFnR’s instagram page:

‘I’m in the USA and a Ghanaian. I contacted a designer in Nigeria to make me an outfit for my wedding reception. She insisted I paid deposit before she commenced, I did. I paid $600 deposit from my sweat . After 4 months , she sent me a msg that she’s done with the outfit so I should send her the balance and she’ll mail it to me . I told my fiance and he said I should tell her to send me pictures of the outfits first . Till today, this designer hasn’t been able to send the picture. She still has my $600 with her . She’s one of these renowned designers that makes reception dresses for celebrities . These are issues we face with some designers.’

If we’re campaigning about patronising made-in-Nigeria products in order to strengthen our currency, shouldn’t the producers of these products also up their game especially because they charge ridiculous prices for the said products.

I’m surprised BN has refused to carry the story about Tope’s bad attitude. It’s a shame that you people have decided to be selective about the news that you carry on your website because Tope is your friend. I won’t be surprised if you don’t post my comment but at least you read it.

Dear Tope, please REFUND that lady’s money, try to be considerate and don’t let pride, greed and wickedness eat you up except if you can honestly wear that dress on your wedding day. You ruined that lady’s big day. The least you can do is to give her a refund whether full or partial or try to give her another dress of the same worth because 105k is not beans even if you convert it to dollars, pounds or euro………it’s not beans!!!

I hope the lady and her friends will not back down until they get a refund of their money because this is really unfair.

Dear Nigerian fashion designers (formerly known as Nigerian tailors), please be fair in your work! If you can’t sew a style, kukuma just say that you can’t. Please, treat your customers the same way you treat your celebrity friends. All your clients are equally important. This is what will make your business stand the test of time. Many businesses come and go. You are not the first, neither will you be the last to open a tailor’s shop. I’m sure Tope wouldn’t do this if her client is a celebrity.

• nene

June 19, 2016 at 10:43 pm

tope f n r is horrible. i wanted to use her, but the way she spoke on the phone told me all i needed to know. i don’t patronize rude nigerian businesses or those who lack at least average customer service. and her clothes are all hype, others can sew better than her for even half her price. it’s unfortunate the lady involved is ghanaian and doesn’t live in nigeria. tope would’ve been in efcc is she did that to a nigerian bride.

• Fisayo

June 20, 2016 at 5:49 pm

@nene I have to agree with you on this one.

Tope attends my church in Lekki. HOTR. I’ve bumped into her 3 times now along the church corridors.

I think it’s too much of a coincidence that 3 out of the 3 times I’ve seen her, she was being exceptionally rude to someone or another. Trust me she’s not the only “celeb” that attends my church, the place is awash with them…OC Ukeje, Tiwa, Omoni Oboli etc…and so far they’ve been gracious whenever I’ve seen them relating with people.

But this Tope woman is something else. And what amazes me is the way she goes hard for Jesus on her instagram page.

But Jesus was a correct guy na Tope…why can’t you emulate him?

• Call a spade a spade

June 19, 2016 at 11:09 pm

When my friends decided to go online with it i told them BN will NOT post it because they are palle with Tope and i wasnt wrong. Trust bn to be selective mtchewww

• May

June 19, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Imagine? Which yeyebrity will pay her $600 or more for an outfit? Yet they treat regular pple like trash because they are regular. Not every thousandaire, millionaire or billionaire will be a celebrity or wants to be one. Everyone is paying for whatever service you render. Tailors calling themselves designers

• Ladybird

June 20, 2016 at 12:43 am

$600 deposit??!!!!! that’s too much..way too much especially for a brand that you’re not really sure of… In fact there are some high end brands at net-a-porter/theoutnet that offer some clothes within that price range. Moreover websites like renttherunway offer designer gowns for rent/buy at below this “$600 “deposit price. … this is ridiculous!!!.. and not really trying to knock anyone’s hustle but it really is not a good thing to do business on instagram!

• Fati

June 20, 2016 at 6:36 am

Heard about her arrogance three times…what happened to meena, Bridget and toju..her work does not deserve $600

• Corolla

June 20, 2016 at 11:35 am

I too am surprised that BN did not carry the story. But then, is it not BellA Naija we are talking about? Why are we shocked? If it’s to carry fluff cutesy stories about a certain vlogger, whose father is a political thief, they will be the first.

4. Tru

June 19, 2016 at 10:22 pm

…is she trying to stay on the int’l scene by causing a stir or is she maybe Wizkid’s lawyer?

5. curious

June 19, 2016 at 10:36 pm

This TopeFnR gist, I want to know more……. Can BN update us? Curious minds want to know, seriously.

• Smh

June 20, 2016 at 12:05 am

BN won’t post anything because they are on her payroll. This website is so bias sometimes.

Tope is extremely arrogant and rude. I don’t know which God she serves because her own Christianity has k-leg. So full of herself despite the fact she’s a glorified tailor. Nigerians are so quick to call themselves “designers”… Sweetie, because you designate work to other tailors doesn’t mean you are a designer. Get off your high horse. I triple dare you to try that nonsense with Abi KD or Toke…of course not. Because someone isn’t a celeb doesn’t mean you should treat them with no respect.

• Abk

June 20, 2016 at 1:37 am

Ha! No wonder she suddenly made her account private. I was wondering why a business page will go private.

• o

June 20, 2016 at 7:02 am

I can’t believe some ppl expected BN to post it. If you have been reading BN for a while, you will know that there are some ppl they have no qualms posting about and allowing ppl to drag. But some others are ‘untouchable’…. very partial IMO.

• Naijatalk

June 20, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Of course BN is selective, and it’s a good thing they’re being called out on this. E.g. you’ve refused to post anything on the Buhari certificate saga, even Daddy Freeze has weighed in lol! Are you afraid? When you do good we praise you, when the reverse is the case, well the reverse occurs.

6. Beard gang

June 19, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Seyi Shay,
    You don’t need ‘ajayi worker’ controversy to remain in the spotlight, you are a very good artiste. I love your music and fashion. keep doing what you do and believe me the Sky will be your stepping stone.
    with love,
    the beard nation.

7. Notimeforstinkingthing

June 19, 2016 at 10:49 pm

The rumors going round was that the song belong to wizzy.He gave the song to Drake because he did not charge him for Ojuelegba remix.
    Don’t worry seyi,God of exaltation his still on the throne.One dance or not,Wizkid his on the rise.

8. MissBiola

June 19, 2016 at 10:51 pm

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, SHEY SHAY PLEASE GET PROFESSIONAL PR HELP!! You keep making these serious blunders and it’s hurting your career. You are a good singer and I believe you can do well but sorry to say but your team is crap. How can you make sure a profound statement on TV about your fellow artist based on hearsay?? This is so painful to watch….

• Smh

June 20, 2016 at 12:08 am

Lmao she even said “I don’t know if I should say this” like she was there when wizkid gave drake the song. Sigh… How can a pretty and talented lady like Seyi be so slow. What a shame. She needs a better PR team URGENTLY

• Mo

June 20, 2016 at 1:09 am

Please do not call Bobby Taylor with her big mouth…..? She talks about everyone of her clients and all her friends ?

• olori

June 20, 2016 at 8:40 am

@Mo
      I tell you! Bukky can gossip for Africa! Very malicious woman. No wonder Lagos peeps can’t stand her

• The real D

June 20, 2016 at 8:59 am

I am just doing aproko, first who is this Tope? Any additional information I can use to even google to find out more about said designer.
      Secondly, smh wet in Bobby Taylor do o? I have interacted with her in the past and had no issues with her in fact she was a great help and gave insightful advice and information to me and while this happened a while back I.e prior to her move back to Nigeria. I still look back on that and recommend her based on that experience. Who she talk about? Bear in mind the part of the job of a PR firm in some cases, is to keep your client relevant however in a positive light. So as long as she is keeping them in the public eye in a positive way she is doing her job and yes that includes her talking about them.

9. Fashionista

June 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm

SeyiShays foot is permanently in her mouth, ugh!

10. Jules

June 19, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Seyi Shay. Please do your homework and quit embrassing yourself. My goodness. Must you answer everything. You can politely say you don’t know if you really don’t. Haba!!

11. Ojuelegba

June 19, 2016 at 11:24 pm

I don’t understand the reason for the imaginary Tope post on Wizkid post?People just sleep and wake negativity.

Tope exist only in their dreams,no Ghanaian will ever send a dollar to a Nigerian,talk less of six hundred dollars.Get a life tee pls.

12. Wizkid fan

June 19, 2016 at 11:39 pm

We reject the idea behind a Tope that does not exist.please next time don’t bore us with such fake and negative post.
    That we all know is a lie from the pit of hell,I don’t appreciate wasting my data on a deliberate and calculated plot to promote bigotry indirectly.BN just ruined my fathers day.

13. Enny heart heart

June 19, 2016 at 11:54 pm

This Topefnr matter is serious. BN please contact said bride and clear the reputation of your “friend”.
    If at all they’re innocent. #sideeyes

14. Seun

June 20, 2016 at 12:09 am

Wizkid wins both ways,so far the cheque keeps coming .Drake promoted the song well.

15. who am I?

June 20, 2016 at 12:09 am

Tiwa would NEVER do this #aprokoseyi #teamsavage4life #gossipis4kids

• NNENNA

June 20, 2016 at 7:45 pm

What does this have to do with Tiwa Savage? Stop the comparison and stop creating unnecessary rivalry and conflict

16. Fix it

June 20, 2016 at 12:21 am

About this Tope gist. I don’t understand why some business owners in Naija have this irritatingly rude and elitist attitude. For your information the so called commoners pay cash while some of your Instagram and nollywood celebs don’t for the most part. They will instead shout you out on their pages while they owe you thousands! Yet some of you choose to be rude to potential customers. I can NEVER give my hard earned money to a rude business owner! Mbanu!! Maka why!!!

17. YesISaidIt

June 20, 2016 at 1:44 am

Seyi just shut the fk up and dont grant any interviews at all, cos everytime you do, its just like you keep shooting yourself in the foot. ITs like the saying goes It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt’

MRS ELECTRIC PACKAGE

18. Yenihsworld

June 20, 2016 at 4:38 am

For some reason, I believe Seyi Shay.

19. Mo

June 20, 2016 at 7:38 am

He didn’t have to say ‘she lied’ when the babe was actually on his side. He could have said ‘maybe she was misinformed’ or ‘someone gave her fake gist’ or something like that.

• TT

June 20, 2016 at 8:08 am

So it’s to say on nationational TV the information she didn’t get directly from Wizkid – please receive sense and give seyi shay a chunk of brain while u are at it #misswhoisamberrose

• Mo

June 20, 2016 at 9:24 am

LOL at ‘a chunk of brain’. Read my comment again – I never said that what Seyi did was right or wise. She clearly shouldn’t have said what she did and that’s why she has apologized. My point (which you clearly missed) was that Wizzy could have reduced the ‘ela’ small. But it’s really not that deep either way. Calm down my dear, attacking people like this is unnecessary, it’s just Monday and you still have the rest of the week to get through.

20. pretty me

June 20, 2016 at 8:19 am

Wiz was rude he shouldn’t have said she lied”

• kim

June 20, 2016 at 6:45 pm

But she lied.

• dee

June 20, 2016 at 9:36 pm

So he should applaud her or stay mute so that you people can also call him a thief. A lie is a lie. You need to watch the interview she even went as far as mentioning legendary beats with an air of authority. He could have gotten wizkid in a whole lot of trouble with drake. Seyi is a celeb she should mind her utterances so as not to ruin someone’s hard work

21. fygo

June 20, 2016 at 10:52 am

This gal can’t juz cease to disappoint..must u say what u are not sure about! See ya life now. I bet another blunder is on the way now. mrs shay pls stop doing this to ursef

22. Sisi

June 20, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Lool erm I thought this post was about Seyi Shay and her leaking mouth! All you TopeFnR commentators please take your complaints/praises/qualms and requests to an approprite forum. On Bella that would be the Akah bants recent video post. Despite Bella’s seeming bias, they have discreetly made reference to it there.

Now onto Seyi Shay, why are you like this? Why do you behave in this manner? Don’t you have people that can talk to you to caution your mouth or gracefully not talk on topics that are not your business or your info is not legit especially when to do with your industry mates? See Kyla and Crazy Cousins ‘Do you mind’ to start with then come back to me with your silly commentary. Even if what your saying is true – what does you spilling another persons business say about you from international music industry perspective? SMH

23. TF Bride my ***

June 20, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Abeggg which Toju? I cried on my wedding day because of TOJU FOYEH. The zip she used on my evening dress was so cheap that it couldn’t stay in place! 80 k dress oh! (after all the come today come tomorrow) Imagine that happening to you on the supposed happiest day of your life! Most guests even left because it was getting late and I was wasting too much time getting the zip fixed. I REGRET USING HER. Anyways I’ve learned my lesson. TOJU FOYEH NEVER AGAIN.

• Corolla

June 20, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Eyah. Pele. Toju foyeh made bridesmaids dress for two diff sets.of brides I know. The materials were so cheap, that the dresses burst at the seams, and they had to be sewing them just before walking down the aisle. Guess what, the same bridesmaids were the ones posing on IG and making noise about the “lovely Toju Foyeh” dresses they wore. Meanwhile that morning we were all abusing her shoddy work!

24. Nikki

June 20, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Can we get back on Tope fnr? Thinking of using her oooo.

• Laolu

June 20, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Eeez like you are sleeping, so after all you have seen and read on here you still want to use her, even if they aren’t all true, is fear not catching you small? You have 80 to 150k to spend on cloth? cloth that any good tailor with good sense of appreciation for customers and competence can sew for less than half the price of these fancy “designers” Please i beg you if you need a good tailor, look around you, there are way better seamstresses that we overlook and still argue over 3k or 5k dresses with, while we waste money on these celeb tailors just to be recognized on ig. It is well

25. collins

June 21, 2016 at 8:14 pm

wizkid did not write ‘one dance’. the song is solely and only owned by drake. seyi shey, always think b4 you talk…

26. collins

June 21, 2016 at 8:23 pm

wizkid did not write ‘one dance’. the song is solely and only owned by drake.seyi shay, always think b4 you talk…

27. joy

January 8, 2017 at 2:26 am

go and look at the Wikipedia of the song and you will see why I believe sheyi shay