Style

#BNFroFriday: “I love that no one recognises when my hair is a mess” Model and Style Blogger Nikki Anyansi shares her Natural Hair Journey with BN Beauty

Today for the #BNFroFriday interview we have Nneka Joanne Anyansi popularly known as Nikki. She’s a content creator, style blogger and model currently working with fashion and lifestyle site, Stylevitae.

Nikki Anyansi bnfrofriday_Nikki Anyansi, Nikki's Style Diary, Jerrie Rotimi, model, photoshoot_bellanaija

Nikki is also model’s on the side and has been seen on runways like Lagos Fashion and Design Week and various lookbooks with her signature ‘fro. She graduated from Imo State University with a BA in French and today she’s sharing her 3 year natural hair journey with BellaNaija Beauty.

Nikki Anyansi bnfrofriday_My-Q-Lookbook-4-672x1014_bellanaija

BellaNaija: Tell us about your hair
Nikki: About my hair, my mother was a mixed race woman French/Ireland and my dad was also mixed with a little bit of Scotish but a full Nigerian if you ask me lol. My natural hair color is black and yes I have relaxed it in the past but decided to chop it off to get back my beautiful curls.

BN: Why did you decide to go natural and How did you make the change?
Nikki: Back in the days when I was in primary school, my mum was always taking care of my hair, so I didn’t pretty much need to touch it. I started secondary school and my sister took over from my mum. When my sister passed out from the school, there was no one I really trusted with my type of hair, so I decided to cut it in Jss 3 and start again in SS 2.

Nikki Anyansi bnfrofriday_FB_IMG_1472040466399_bellanaija

BN: What were the reactions like?
Nikki: I relaxed my hair when I was about 13 years old. My father wasn’t happy about it, but it was the best for me. Seeing that it would be difficult trying to handle the bushy hair and curl all by myself in secondary school.

BN: Are you tempted to go back to being relaxed?
Nikki: I am not tempted to go back, why? Because I now know how to work my hair.

BN: Ever hidden your natural hair?
Nikki: I never do. I am proud of it, why should I hide that amazing feature of mine from the world.

Nikki Anyansi bnfrofriday_image_bellanaija

BN: How long have you kept your natural hair?
Nikki: My natural hair is almost 3 years now. About getting a trim, I’ve done that only once.

BN: How does climate where you live affect your hair?
Nikki: I live in Nigeria and the climate here is either sunny or rainy. So it doesn’t really affect my hair.

BN: What’s your stance on natural vs chemical products?
Nikki: Anyone works for me to be honest. I can use both natural and chemical products on my hair.

BN: What’s your daily, weekly and/or monthly hair routine?
Nikki: I don’t really have one routine. I just wash my hair two times a week, condition it and then air dry. Sometimes I get a professional to do a blow out for me.

Nikki Anyansi bnfrofriday_20160703_125049_bellanaija

BN: What advice would you give to people thinking of going natural?
Nikki: Every hair type and texture is different, so if you feel yours is too strong or stubborn, I’ll advice that you don’t venture into the natural hair world. If you still want to, then goodluck!

BN: What do you like best about your hair and being natural?
Nikki: I love how it is a brand on it own and I love that no one recognises when my hair is a mess lol.

BN: What are your favourite styles to rock and why?
Nikki: My go to styles are packing it up in a bun and letting it down as a fro.

See more photos of her gorgeous mane

Nikki Anyansi bnfrofriday__MG_7735_bellanaija Nikki Anyansi bnfrofriday_bobo-12_bellanaija Nikki Anyansi bnfrofriday_Nikki's style diary, stripe it up, fashion, Nikki Anyansi, Style blogger, Nigerian model 4_bellanaija

Thanks for sharing your journey with us Nikki!

***

If you’d like to be featured, send an email to [email protected]!

Eki is the Editor for BellaNaija Style and Lifestyle Editor for BellaNaija.com She has a Vogue Fashion Certificate from Conde Nast College of Fashion & Design and also attended Central Saint Martins, London College of Fashion and the University of Kent. Eki headed the Design Operations at a top Nigerian womenswear fashion brand before finding love at BellaNaija Style. Eki loves all things creative. Follow her on Instagram @ekiogunbor BellaNaija Style: [email protected] | @bellanaijastyle BellaNaija Beauty: @bellanaijabeauty BellaNaija Living: [email protected] | @bellanaijaliving

1. Somborri

August 26, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Fine babe, fine hair!

2. Mahka

August 26, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Her hair is nice alright,she was a bit hushy hush with her responses. Feels rushed!
    Really fine hair,in just 3years…wow!
    Thanks Eki.

• Mz Titilitious

August 26, 2016 at 2:39 pm

noticed that too…. nice hair tho

• Vanessa

August 26, 2016 at 4:46 pm

What would you expect her to say though? There is really no secret in the first place. I think you need to understand that first.

• SMH

August 27, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Thats cos she is a snob.

• SMH

August 27, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Thats cos she is a snob. I know that one well. Very unimpressive behavior when you meet her in person

• nwanyi na aga aga

August 31, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Nneka a snob? Wow! That’s a new revelation. However 10 years is a long time to say you are sure about a person. Especially when they come and join the lagos crowd. Everything changes.

3. Princess P

August 26, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Fine hair
    Fine girl
    Fine body

4. CHIKA

August 26, 2016 at 1:31 pm

BN: What advice would you give to people thinking of going natural?

Now the above response isn’t so encouraging, we haff hear though, thank you for sharing your natural hair journey.

5. Linda

August 26, 2016 at 2:09 pm

BellaNaija: Tell us about your hair

Her response doesn’t in anyway answer the question.
    In fact, the entire interview wasn’t inspiring or encouraging. Especially her response on what advice to give to people thinking of going natural. That was so wrong and very discouraging. Hair types maybe different but still, they can all be worn in their natural state, because, guess what? All hair types are beautiful and they are all good hair.

• lulu

August 26, 2016 at 3:35 pm

thanks @linda I don’t know dis girl, sha but reading her interview can tick someone off. let me be a little salty…after listing all the mixness in her blood, her hair doesn’t even look mixed sha,,

back to being positive. all hair is beautiful, Sisi Yemmie has 4c and it is regarded as the kinkiest and oh so beautiful.

• Asa

August 26, 2016 at 3:58 pm

I went to Secondary School with Nikki, she was a class or two my junior and I understand why she referred to her bloodlines. Back in secondary school, her hair was loooooooong and silky., with natural waves, it was obvious she was mixed especially since her elder sister was very white in complexion.

What am I driving at? I think she made the race comment to justify the kind of hair she has. Its not quite kinky like our own hair. In summary, her genes play a roll in the hair!

• huh

August 27, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Sister, its “role”

• oh really

August 28, 2016 at 3:35 pm

bloodline! oh really. nobody asked her if she was mixed…when was the last time Alicia keys said her hair was the way it is cos she was mixed? we black pple sef get problems… mixed has nothing to do with good hair…have u seen the Fulani women’s hair? mind u there are many Africans I know who have loosely formed kinky hair and they are not mixed…so stop with the mixed ting. good hair is good hair…all hair is beautiful.

please ladies, u can still wash your hair even when u have braids. just be gentle and towel dry after. im not a fan of weaves. with all the sweet during exercise…not for me

• Vanessa

August 26, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Sorry don’t be angry.

6. Ada

August 26, 2016 at 4:32 pm

I like her interview. Very honest about the whole natural hair journey. In a nutshell, all she’s trying to say is ‘ no be by force to do team natural. If your hair feels too stubborn or strong to manage and you can’t deal with the natural taming options you have, Biko relax the thing. No one will kill you ‘ . And that’s what I’m taking from this interview. If I can’t cope any longer, I can go the relaxed way.

7. rain

August 26, 2016 at 4:34 pm

pretty girl…..dont care about the hair stuff

8. person

August 26, 2016 at 4:52 pm

ees like they force this girl to do interview. Na wa for unhelpful responses. next pls!

9. Benny

August 26, 2016 at 6:09 pm

This interview is exactly what I expected from the young lady.
    The same way I see her modeling photos and nothing clicks for me.
    The same way Stylevitae is trying to stuff her down our throats as a fashion blogger with some sense of style and it just isn’t working.
    We really can’t squeeze anything out of vagueness.

Before I am accused of being a hater; I am not hating. How I felt after reading this is how I feel everytime she is featured. Why?

10. fashy me

August 26, 2016 at 7:53 pm

I don’t see anything wrong with her responses .. Maybe she is the wrong person to go for natural hair tips as I can deduct hers is not really natural as in african kinky natural hair 4c,d,f if there is anything like that spongy willie willie type of hair like mine…… Lol( I have been growing my hair natural for the past 2yrs and it hasn’t grown more than 2 inches and I have used every product I can lay my hands on to make it work to no avail)
    This babe can use bar soap and wash her hair and it will still come out looking healthy so I guess that why a lot of us are not feeling the interview

11. OmaOma

August 26, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Well, I remember the first time I saw this lady at the mall, that fashion show that’s usually held at the mall…..
    I told her I loved her hair and she looked at me like I was saying rubbish and just walked past, I felt stupid…….Lol

12. OmaOma

August 26, 2016 at 10:10 pm

She’s beautiful but my first impression of her was just bleh!

13. Ivie

August 27, 2016 at 10:26 am

Fggco repping!!!! That’s all I can say.

14. Mixed

August 27, 2016 at 8:35 pm

She is mixed na..3 years n see growth. this my afro hair that is like puff puff and hard to come. Shear butter helps sha