News

Police Says Abuja Gynaecologist Confessed to Having Sexual Relations with Patients in his Office as Colleagues Rise to his Defence

Dr. Kalu NwachukwuAn Abuja-based consultant gynaecologist at Life Point Medical Centre, Dr. Kalu Nwachukwu, 47 has been arrested by officers of the Federal Capital Territory Police Command after he was accused of sexually abusing his patients, Vanguard reports.

A statement by the Command’s spokesperson, ASP Anjufuri Mamza said that Kalu, who was arrested on August 4, drugs his patients before having sex with them.

Dr. Kalu Nwachukwu, a consultant gynaecologist, was reported to have been in the habit of taking undue advantage of his female patients, who come to him for treatment to sexually abuse them. Police operatives attached to the Command swung into action leading to the arrest of the suspect.

In his statement, the suspect confessed to have had sexual affairs with some of his female patients in his office and other locations.

Investigations also revealed that the suspect uses drugs to induce his victims in order to have intercourse with them; thereby corroborating the allegations brought up against him.

Members of the public should carry out thorough background checks on the credibility of the doctors they intend to engage.

According to Daily Trust, Nwachukwu’s colleagues are questioning the police’ account of him drugging and sexually abusing his patients.

One of them said:

This is all just to taint his image and the medical professional.

I’m not saying he’s guilty, I’m also not saying he is innocent. That is what the court is for. What drugs did he use? How much drugs did he give them? Did they test any of the women to know what drug they were given, even if it did happen?

To do that, even if you could, you would have had to force a patient to take the drug. How would you do that in a consulting room in a hospital, busy with staff and patients all over the place. Then you wait for her to go to sleep before abusing her. And then she would wake up, reorganize herself and then drive home. By day or by night? The timeline is impossible.

Te FCT Police Commissioner, Muhammadu Mustafa had earlier said that the suspect has been charged to court, and has been remanded in Kuje Prison.

Photo Credit: Life Point Medical Centre

1. chamazing chick

August 29, 2016 at 10:18 pm

The voltron and Defender of his universe. The culprit has confessed what other proof do you want. Stupid man! His license should be revoked and he shouldn’t be granted bail. Let him rot in jail.

• Question Mark

August 29, 2016 at 11:21 pm

I pray you never have any case with the police because you may just die of a heart attack when you hear their own version of your statement. I pray the Law runs it’s course and the truth is upheld

• Prince

August 30, 2016 at 1:23 pm

God bless you for that. Nigeria Police is the worst in the world.

2. teee

August 29, 2016 at 10:30 pm

This is quite common I must say. I remember when I was in uni, a friend complained about how she and her cousin went for check up due to cough and the doctor was pressing their boobs to check the extent of the damage. She felt so molested thinking it was just her he did it too. Her other relatives who use the same hosp started complaining. They had to change clinic

3. Question Mark

August 29, 2016 at 11:17 pm

I know this Dr. I had my baby at this hospital.. The consulting room and Theatre are way to small for this to happen. The consulting room door was NEVER locked throughout my 7 months of going there and the nurses lounge is about 7 foot steps from his office door! Dr Kalu is a 6 footer! it is impossible for him to lie down in any of those rooms! He is a gynaecologist not an anaesthesiologist.. Labour was an emergency for me, I needed a surgery, but he waited for the anaesthesiologist to come and do his job! I am not one to vouch for Abuja Dr’s esp after a nasty experience in the hand of an Indian one that worked for a very popular hospital in Jabi, whom we later found out was a lab technician in India. But Dr Kalu is the real deal and very professional! I don’t know who’s out to soil his name and reputation but the person will get his/her recompense

• EC

August 30, 2016 at 8:29 am

You don’t need to lay down to do the DEED. Plus he has confessed. What more are you looking for?

• Grace

August 30, 2016 at 9:52 am

Police make you confess rubbish expecially in Nigeria, pray not to be involved in any case where you have to confess., except you sure have a very good lawyer too. But remember this is Nigeria shit happens.

• Tosin

September 1, 2016 at 7:56 am

No logic. At all.

• Ola

August 30, 2016 at 9:57 am

Madam I thank God for you, you probably went there pregnant already and didn’t fit into the profile of the women he preys on. I took my family away from his services due to such funny circumstances before it got out of control or serious harm. we spotted his advance and intention at the nick of time, little did I know he was going to get himself into bigger trouble.

• Peaches77

August 30, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Haha that Indian Man @ Nisa Premier? I always suspected him. CHOI!

• Ovens

August 6, 2017 at 1:52 pm

The choice of words by Question Mark is obvious of the fact that he is a Doctor trying to protect a fellow Doctor – Kalu. However, he also lied that the door is never locked behind a patient. The door is always locked when a doctor needs to check your private areas. Any other nurse or fellow Doctor would need to knock for the door to be opened, if need be. These are facts but still does not make the doctor liable or not until he is tried in court. But no one should try to exonerate him on personal grounds.

on Lakushy- your comment supports the fact that many young girls and married women are abussed daily by responsible-looking doctors but are too shy to talk to some body. My dear sister Lakushy pls hide your indentity here but do not spare that demon of a doctor in Garki that messed you up. Take your pound of flesh and unveil his mask. I’m sure other victims of the same doctor will read your story and also speak up. Who knows, the law can also come after him, even though the offences are long gone.
      WE SHOULD NOT SPARE THE EVIL MEN IN OUR SOCIETIES THAT WE GAVE OUT TRUST TO.
      PLS SPEAK UP SOMEBODY! !!

4. Cheemah

August 30, 2016 at 8:58 am

Jesus! Things r rily hapnin o! Chai!

5. ty

August 30, 2016 at 9:13 am

Any Nigerian that read this dumb statement of the police and agreed to it shouldn’t be blamed after all their brains are yet to come to terms that this government is a scam, so how do we expect them not to believe whatever rubbish, if they can believe liar mohammed? Well, the problem is our police are so daft that they just come out and make statement thinking all Nigerians are the learned and educated illiterate from the south west especially osun, or fulani herdsmen, long and short watch the drama unfold, another twist will soon come out of this story, the dr must have had a person brush with someone who’s hell bent on dealing with him, because I don’t need to have access to his office/consulting room to know it is not just impossible but unpossible to happen in the consulting room, his car, house, hotel is agreeable, for heaven’s sake do you know how many women private part he sees per day, maybe he was observing an alhaji/imam/emir’s wife in his presence and the malu felt insulted, because part of the job is to check everything and everywhere; abeg make una talk another story jare

6. Ola

August 30, 2016 at 9:48 am

I know this guy fairly well in his medical practice, I have also been to his consulting room a couple of times with my wife. The man from my perspective and reports from my wife and some friends who had also used his services, I am of the opinion that Dr. Kalu is capable of what he is currently being accused of, he is a weakling especially before beautiful women who has fertility challenges.
    Dr. Kalu is self indulgent and had to get my family to abandon his hospital and seek medical services else where.

7. Asa

August 30, 2016 at 9:56 am

This Doctor may most likely be innocent but I am led to recount my own experience at the hands of an Abuja Doctor. I was miserably sick and went to hospital, na so Doctor say make I remove my top say im wan put stethoscope for my chest, I did. Next he said I should remove the bra say the bra dey obstruct the stethoscope, I still did. I was believing that all the things were necessary until he started telling me how my breasts were beautiful. At that point sick as I was, I knew he was up to no good, I wear my clothes back ozigbo.

My friend was fingered by a Doctor back in secondary school, so much that she started to cry and then the Doctor asked “Is it not sweeting you”? What was the background of the story? She got the toilet infections we all got back at school, mostly we were given antibiotics to take care of it. When she got to the Doctor, she instead was told that the Doctor needed to feel her womb or something of that nature. He then proceeded to finger her till she started to cry. She told me the story, initially we thought it was all medicine, when we got older, we realised oga Doctor was catching cheap thrills. Between us, we never mentioned the incident again and we never reported it.

Dr. Kalu might be innocent o, but sexual molestation of female patients is not new.

• Gia

August 30, 2016 at 2:45 pm

“Is it not sweeting you”

Jesus,what’s wrong with nigerian men and sex??????

• Correction

August 30, 2016 at 11:49 pm

Should be whats wrong with that particular Nigerian man and sex.

8. Lakushy

August 30, 2016 at 11:21 am

Abuja Doctors and their penchant for defiling unsuspecting women in their slaughter rooms/offices. I only hope that Doctor who owns a hospital in Garki can learn from this and change for the better.

• Idomagirl

August 31, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I wish you would supply names so that we know who to avoid.

9. ak

August 31, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Naija police don beat am finish

Who won’t confess? Even the thing wey you no do, you go confess when Naija police handle you.

What a shame. They should take him to court and follow due process. No one should be detained without proof.