News

South Africa’s Caster Semenya through to Semifinals amidst Controversy as to whether she Should Compete as a Woman

BellaNaija.com

Caster Semenya

Caster Semenya

25-year-old South African middle-distance runner, Caster Semenya‘s Olympic campaign has been trailed with controversy over her hyperandrogenism condition.

Semenya, who has been subject to a strict media ban by her coach and manager Jean Verster, while in Rio had said:

I am not a fake. I am natural. I am just being Caster. I don’t want to be someone I don’t want to be. I don’t want to be someone people want me to be. I just want to be me. I was born like this. I don’t want any changes.

Caster has never been accused of doping yet there continues to be a lot of noise from various parts of the world as to why she has not been excluded from the Olympic Games in Rio.

There have been calls that she should not participate because she has “unfair advantage” over the other athletes. This has not deterred the runner, and the support from South Africans have been awesome.

The Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula has called for South Africans to get behind the Polokwane born Semenya with a campaign on social media as she is the favorite to win gold.

1. BA

August 17, 2016 at 9:14 pm

*confused meme* Let’s even imagine she is male and identifies as female – HOW IS THAT A PROBLEM IN A WORLD WHERE GAY AND TRANSGENDER RIGHTS ARE PUSHED FORWARD EVERYDAY. THE HECK!

GO SEMENYA, GO !
    YOU ARE A FORMIDABLE FEMALE ATHLETE.

• N Knight

August 18, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Yeah! That is just unfair. They prefer her to be a woman-man than to be a real woman. The way she is made is from God. But women or men who try to reverse how they were born is from the devil. So, please, leave her alone, you “girlyman.

• N Knight

August 19, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Those who twist themselves from man to woman and woman to man, that is devil and deserve to be banned from not only the Olympic but from the world.

2. Baby gurl

August 17, 2016 at 9:17 pm

This is so unfair. She was born a woman. She identifies as a woman. I just wish they would leave her alone. It is no fault of hers that she has hyperandrogenism. It doesn’t and shouldn’t define her. God made her the way she is for a purpose they should please not drive her towards a downward spiral for heaven’s sake. #CasterSemenyaForGold

3. ElessarisElendil

August 18, 2016 at 1:58 am

Let’s not pretend there isn’t a hint of racism about this, suddenly all the people calling to abolish gender distinctions in sports are quiet, thought we was all equal??

4. Amaa

August 18, 2016 at 2:02 am

She has a vagina mammary gland a womb. My goodness sake let her be. GO girl Africa. Is behind you

• Anon

August 18, 2016 at 3:11 am

She doesn’t have a womb.

“has internal testes and no womb as well as higher testosterone than a “normal” female athlete.”

• Bella

August 18, 2016 at 11:23 am

Yes internal testes that are hanging out of her body, while her outside has female genitalia. Leave this girl alone biko! How can she be a man when she has no penis or testes outside her body. Na wa o, SO what of her testerone, there are many females with beards out here – are they male?

5. tunmi

August 18, 2016 at 3:37 am

Oh but nobody is calling to test Ledecky àbí? What’s her name? Caitlyn Jenner, where are you oh?

6. jesbadoma

August 18, 2016 at 10:36 am

I smell conspiracy. She should not succumb to media pressure. God made her like that and they’ve got to take her as she is. Go Caster, go get the gold.

7. Prince

August 18, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Oh! She’s a girl. She has a pretty face though. Go girl.

8. Tosin

August 19, 2016 at 11:52 pm

Love her!
    When you’re special, you’re special.