News

Watch Escaped Chibok Girl Amina Ali’s Interview on CNN | I miss my Boko Haram husband

Chibok Girl

Life is bittersweet for escaped Chibok Girl Amina Ali Nkeki. Though she is glad to be reunited with her family, based on this interview, the 21-year-old mother of a baby girl says she misses her Boko Haram fighter husband and is still thinking about him three months after escaping the militants’ camp.

In an exclusive interview with CNN, Amina provides rare insight into her life after escaping the terrorist group’s camp.

Amina Ali, who was held hostage by the terrorist group for more than two years, says she was married off a year into her ordeal and later had a baby girl, Safiya.

The couple and their daughter were found on the outskirts of Nigeria’s Sambisa Forest in May. She says they fled the camp by themselves and were not rescued by the Nigerian military, contrary to reports.
Boko Haram CNNHer husband, identified as Mohammed Hayatu at the time of their escape, told a witness that he too had been kidnapped by Boko Haram.
He was placed in military detention for interrogation by Nigeria’s joint intelligence center.

Amina Ali says she has no idea where he is now and is keen to be reunited with him.

“I’m not comfortable with the way I’m being kept from him,” the painfully shy 21-year-old told CNN in her first worldwide interview, at an undisclosed location in Abuja Tuesday.

Addressing the father of her child directly, she says: “I want you to know that I’m still thinking about you, and just because we are separated doesn’t mean I have forgotten about you.”

Amina Ali remains the only long-held hostage who has escaped.

But she has a defiant message for her “sisters” still being held: Don’t lose hope. She managed to get away, she says, and one day they will be able to return to their families too.
“Be patient and prayerful,” she said. “The way God rescued me from Sambisa Forest, he will rescue you too.”

You can read the full interview feature via CNN.

1. Spunky

August 17, 2016 at 9:50 pm

A little prayer on her behalf. I cast the spirit of Boko husband from your system IJN! Be free…seriously, provide the young lady a good shrink to reset her brain to the right angle.

2. diva

August 17, 2016 at 11:27 pm

What exactly is she missing from the Boko haram hubby?
    She needs prayer, this ain’t normal
    Nawao

• Nigerian Men

August 18, 2016 at 12:47 am

She misses the d
      Bomb d make ya head go gaga

3. swizzle

August 17, 2016 at 11:43 pm

I still do now understand how SS3 girls who were supposedly writing WAEC cannot speak English.

• Kilipot

August 18, 2016 at 12:16 am

It’s not strange my dear. My service year was in Sokoto, in a class you can find only 2 or 3 that can communicate in English. That’s the unfortunate case of Nigerian (Government schools in particular ) schools. Forget Lagos life- it’s a bubble. Also, a lot their schools are not conventional but Islamic schools too, which brings about a different curriculum.
      May I also add that It’s not peculiar to the North, it’s the same for remote villages in the West, East, South-Southern states. The Nothern schools may just be slightly worse off.

Back to the issue .

1. How come she misses her husband and then wishes the remaining girls hope? I don’t get it.
      Our leaders have failed us sha. It’s sad.

2. How come our own home News Network don’t have no holds barred access to situations like this. Is it hard or what.?

• nnenne

August 18, 2016 at 1:39 am

@ Kilipot… Am a native of Imo state.. Your generalization that students from the East, among others, are like this girl is very, very false.
      There is nobody in my village who cannot communicate in at least broken English or at least speak enough English that makes sense. There is no one in SS3 in my village who cannot communicate in English Yes, their tenses my be wrong here and there but they will understand and answer back in English . Even those who have never been to any formal school can be able to “cut and nail ” some English that make sense.
      To think that after graduation, these are the ones that will rule Nigeria , all thanks to quota system, and/ or Northern agenda is a huge shame!
      Our government ,especially state governments should be ashamed of themselves.
      No wonder, Nigeria continues to sink while the rest of the world soar!

• Icrossmyheart

August 18, 2016 at 9:29 am

In the North and West maybe BUT NOT IN THE EAST. The West may value education BUT EASTERNERS are obsessed with it. They can communicate in English even though some of them may not have entered a classrom. I was engaging with an Imo indigene who had noy finished primary 4 and his vocabulary is more sophisticated than the average university graduate.

The North does not value education for a number of reasons. It is only the very few that have seen the light that do. And when they do, they are usually very accomplished. It is a sad state of affairs. Nigerians from the North to the South to the West to the East are very very intelligent. It is a huge shame that this government and previous ones have failed us.

• Modupe

August 18, 2016 at 11:58 am

@nnenne, kilipot is right. s/he said “remote”, is your village remote? I was in the east for an assessment of education programs and visited schools. Yes there are students who don’t speak English. The teachers teach in ibo. The tragedy is not limited to one region but it’s more widespread in the north compared to other parts of the country.

• Manny

August 19, 2016 at 4:28 am

REMOTE is the key word here. Obviously, you are guys are not from remote villages.

• Esther

August 19, 2016 at 1:55 pm

I’m certain of this many students from the West even towns/villages communicate in English at schools. It’s mandatory. I visited a friend at school recently in Owo, and many of the students spoke fluent correct English. Yes, you will find some who are struggling but overall they speak English. Then in the East, many speak fluent English as well but broken English is more common. Many northern states, villages , are not big on western education. So, there’s not much emphasis in speaking English. Infact, they teach in Hausa and other dialects more than anything else. If you see northern man/woman who speaks fluent English, he/she went to school outside and didn’t do all his/her schooling there.
      Don’t you see how so called president and his wife struggle in the English department.

• Miss Ghana

August 18, 2016 at 6:33 am

hahahaha! you have not been to my village.

• kilipot

August 18, 2016 at 8:00 am

@nene o. Good morning.
      Shey u ll go back to read my comment slowly.
      “The Northern schools may just be worse off”

Believe me, I know what I am saying.

• Icrossmyheart

August 18, 2016 at 9:35 am

They are not slightly worse off. They are MAJORLY worse off. And trust me I KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING TOO. I stay in the West and many do not. But i have stayed in the East : Enugu, Imo, Anambra and despite not entering a classroom many can communicate in English. Igbos are competitive. When they see that their neighbors and his or her family can speak English, they force themselves to learn. Also because they deal more in trade, they are more likely to speak more than one language to enable them sell their goods. Also we have system of apprenticeship where learning a language is a part of the skills acquisition in learning a particular trade. So please do not write what you do not know on bellanaija.

In WAEC AND JAMB, Easterners score highest than any groups in Nigeria. Enugu, Imo and Anambra always in the top three followed by Westerners. Northerners do not even make up the top ten. So your argument that they are SLIGHTLY worse off is flawed. They are MAJORLY worse off. And this is simply because education is not a priority for them.

• kilipot

August 18, 2016 at 11:57 am

@icrossmyheart. I understand u but u are not understanding me. Lol. Westerners value education but Easterners are obsessed with it. I hear u . I’m not even going to go down the tribal fight, as that’s not my intention. I’m pointing out the deplorable states of Nigerian Government schools especially and you have managed to make it a tribal issue.
      Now remove IMO, Anambra, Enugu from the list, yea. Check other Ibo states and go inside the villages. Come to the west, remove Lagos,Oyo, removeIbadan and go the deep of Oyo state, Remove Oshogbo which is the capital of Osun state,
      That they can converse in Pidgin doesn’t mean they can read and write, I hope u know.
      I ll like to further hear from u please ( ? please I’m not a tribal warrior also, I like to converse with people without tribalism and insults. Cheers)

4. swizzle

August 17, 2016 at 11:43 pm

*not

5. FYI Swizzle

August 18, 2016 at 12:33 am

Hello Swizzle, I served in a village in Zamfara state and i taught English to SS3 student, it was a boys school. It will shock you to know that only 2 students could converse in English and their English was actually terrible for an SS3 student, the rest could not speak and write in English. When it was time for WAEC, the principal would bribe corpers and tell them to help the students in writing the exam. I told the principal I will never be a part of that. The crux of my epistle is you don’t know the rot and decay in govt Sec school especially the ones in the north until you’ve been a part of the system.

• kilipot

August 18, 2016 at 8:02 am

Thank-you Swizzle. Leave Nene alone. That is the situation of Nigerian schools. The Northern schools are only worse off.

• LEM

August 18, 2016 at 8:21 am

@FYI, very true. I schooled in the north and very few northerners in my final year could actually speak English. In fact I think my set was about the last that had a large population of west and eastern students. The set below us was filled with northerners few of whom could actually communicate in English.

6. teni

August 18, 2016 at 1:39 am

Stockholm’s syndrome

7. Teni

August 18, 2016 at 1:47 am

This sounds like a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

8. nene+

August 18, 2016 at 4:22 am

SSS 3 preparing for Physics examination can’t communicate in English at all?

• Peaches77

August 18, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Yes Nene, and your shook is in order.
      My last house help from a village in Southern Kaduna had Waec certificate but could not read the first two lines of the 1st page of Brighter Grammar. I assigned my 6 year old son to read with her everyday till she left.

9. Marian

August 18, 2016 at 4:23 am

Her bokoharam husband was also a victim. They were able to fall in love and plan for a better future together. They both ran away and he could have reported her but he wanted out too and ran away with her. They found love in a hopeless place.

10. Victor Adegoke

August 18, 2016 at 6:20 am

Different strokes for Different Kinds! She needs rehabilitation. You can become a landlord with less Capital at Lekki Phase 1, Magboro,Ikorodu, Ibeju-Lekki etc. Contact us on 08052467442 for more details.

11. Miss Ghana

August 18, 2016 at 6:35 am

but what are we casting out of this woman? her husband did not kidnap her, he himself was also captured as stated so they both might have truly loved each other. even planning to run away together. i think they should rehabilitate both of them after interrogating him so they can remain together. that’s her child’s father and she says she loves him.

12. the generous economist

August 18, 2016 at 8:15 am

There are many persons who even graduate from higher institutions and cannot speak English. I did my NYSC camp in Osun and in my room, we had 4 girls who could not speak English at all, and another 4 who could only speak broken English….mind you, these girls had certificates that they studied architecture and estate management. This was only in my room of like 18 people. There were many on the camp that I frequently encountered who could not speak English, and conversed only in Yoruba. So please, don’t be shocked that these secondary school girls cannot speak English…many of the teachers and lecturers in some states teach their courses in the states dominant language….that is just the reality of the country we live in…but many times, people use situations in places like Lagos, Abuja, PH to make generalisations on the entire Nigerian popuace

• kilipot

August 18, 2016 at 12:49 pm

God bless you @theEcomomist.

13. notryam

August 18, 2016 at 8:51 am

Nnenne, Please stop it. Be sincere and objective. What do they teach in schools in remote villages?? It was different back in the days of our parents when they had missionaries who taught them clean English. Not anymore. My niece had to repeat a class in lagos (I insisted), because I could not believe she had passed through Junior Sec.School with the kind of English she spoke. And we are from Imo State. Egbema .
    This is not a tribe thing. The north is worse off though.. no thanks to their leaders but really and truly, the issue is general

• kilipot

August 18, 2016 at 11:58 am

Thank-you. @notryam. See Nene run. I most times don’t get her.

• kilipot

August 18, 2016 at 11:58 am

Nene ehn*

• Peaches77

August 18, 2016 at 2:58 pm

You know that there is a difference between “Nnenne” and “Nene” right?

14. Anonymous

August 18, 2016 at 11:15 am

@icrossmyheart please stop lying, I have lived in the East before, Okija to be precise and they are many people who cannot communicate in English, it becomes a problem for you who does not speak Igbo, probably not qs prevalent as in the North but it happens.

15. St

August 18, 2016 at 11:16 am

Black people ,black people, black people. .speaking enlish does not make you intelligent, smart or educated, .. the day you black monkeys realize it , that day will be the day africa or the black race will take a step to genuine civilization .. take a look at japan, china, infact asian countries and even European countries like germany, france etc. They do not give a damn about english language but I will take them over mental slaved black people any day,..so you can laugh at nothern people all u like , u guys are still in the same boat. Ironically, in spite of lack of education , thay are still rulling and controlling you .

• Miss E

August 18, 2016 at 3:46 pm

This is a very silly comment to be honest… If we don’t all speak a COMMON language called ENGLISH, what other language would we speak to eachother?

Do you know how many languages are in Nigeria alone? Please let’s not go to the rest of Africa…

So please kindly tell me in what other COMMON LANGUAGE are we all supposed to COMMUNICATE in. Should we sound like a bunch of animals speaking different languages to each other or wait!!! I got an idea, maybe I’ll go learn over 200 languages huh or maybe more, just incase I find myself in Kenya, SA, Ethiopia Uganda etc.

If this article and comments were in Ibibio or Annang or Ebira, would you understand enough to write such comment???

Please guys whether we like it or not, the ‘whites’ did us a favour, let’s just accept it.

P.S I know so many Asians, Germans, French, Italians etc. hustling to learn English. SO EVERYONE GIVES A DAMN.

• Mo

August 19, 2016 at 3:08 am

Guy, what is wrong with you? Why should say that Nigeria is being ruled by some illiterate Northerners proudly. Kindly join the rest of us Nigerians and cover your face in shame. English may not be our indigenous language but being able to speak English is a sign of education because it is our lingua franca. Next time write your comment in your native language and see if anyone will look at you twice. By the way, can you even write in your native language? Please stop trying to form woke. Be original, THINK.

16. Prince

August 18, 2016 at 11:58 am

She misses the banging. crazy girl. Nah phuk you dey miss instead of you to focus on how you can go back to school. Sometimes i just wish North isn’t pat of this county call Nigeria. They’re just too behind in almost everything apart from violence

17. yemite

August 18, 2016 at 12:49 pm

No big deal….as long the english man can’t speak their language!!! Nothing spoil the show lolzzz. They are proud of their Language ok! We don’t even know if all this gurl are truly among chibok gurl bcos its one by one they are found, is that how a Terrorist work-in to the school with accurate calculation n live with 200hundred gurl without no one challenge them. Then they wil act stupid that any one can escape among them? except if they release them deliberate with another mission…

18. bibi

August 18, 2016 at 3:26 pm

…when you raped by your rapist /abductor the sex was so good you start missing him,,,

19. Daizzy

August 18, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Stockholm Syndrome comes to mind. So sad!