Scoop

Talk Show Host Wendy Williams Fires Producers Following Racism Scandal

THE CHEW - A surprise guest competes in a cooking competition and Wendy Williams is a guest on Wednesday, November 12, 2014. "The Chew" airs MONDAY - FRIDAY (1-2pm, ET) on the ABC Television Network. (Photo by Jeff Neira/ABC via Getty Images)

THE CHEW – A surprise guest competes in a cooking competition and Wendy Williams is a guest on Wednesday, November 12, 2014. “The Chew” airs MONDAY – FRIDAY (1-2pm, ET) on the ABC Television Network. (Photo by Jeff Neira/ABC via Getty Images)

Controversial talk show host Wendy Williams may just have gotten into trouble for her recent controversial National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP) and Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) remarks but she’s not the one losing her job over the drama.

The Wendy Williams Show  host has reportedly fired at least three employees following the backlash she received.

These people were fired just after a huge season-ending party celebrating their efforts at making the show a success.

An insider told Page Six that:

“The crew had a big party celebrating what they considered a season well done, The next day [some of them] got calls saying they’d been let go.”

It’s believed longtime producer Jason Gabel is one of those affected, along with two unidentified senior staff members.

It is believed that the firings are a result of Wendy’s remarks on an episode of the show aired weeks ago. She faced a lot of criticism for questioning the need for Historically Black Colleges and Universities or the NAACP and speculating on whether the institutions were “offensive.”

The TV host quickly apologized for her comments, but it seems the damage was done — within a week it was rumored she lost sponsors, including a brand new deal with Chevrolet.

Watch the Episode here:

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Jeff Neira

1. Truthreality

August 1, 2016 at 11:25 pm

I am sorry but announcing an associate in cosmetics is not necessarily a cue for black girl stealing, Wendy. This retail business it is protocol. A times we take this racism issue way too too far!

2. Anonymous

August 1, 2016 at 11:29 pm

na wa for dem o.

3. Seun

August 1, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Whiter than the pope…shioor.House slave mentality

4. JohnnydFox

August 1, 2016 at 11:46 pm

When you have a big, fat mouth like Ms Wendy, that’s bound to happen.

5. bruno

August 1, 2016 at 11:49 pm

pls I hope they didn’t fire susan. omg I love susan, she is almost like the co host of the show.when she spins that wheel and shouts BIG MONEY BIG MONEY, I alway burst out in laughter.

and those two gay guys. 1 white the other black. the camera always points at them during hot topics. I like them both.

• Wendell

August 2, 2016 at 12:25 am

Jason is the black guy mentioned in the article

• Iris

August 2, 2016 at 4:49 am

I think Jason is the white one, not the black one.
      Why fire them though? They didn’t make her say it. They just provided a storyline. She wasn’t reading from a script they wrote.

• Miss E

August 3, 2016 at 1:23 am

Jason is the white one and Norman is the black one

• Dori

October 8, 2016 at 5:46 am

Nope, he is white

• Christy

March 13, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Wrong. White guy.

• Tutu

August 2, 2016 at 9:05 am

How do you know they are gay?

• LoL

August 2, 2016 at 1:23 pm

It’s called a gaydar, get it?

6. onetallgirl

August 2, 2016 at 1:11 am

Why should the producers be fired for what Wendy said? It’s Wendy who said those racist things, not the producers!

7. Nikky

August 2, 2016 at 1:30 am

The fact that a grown ass black woman like Wendall does understand why the United States has historical black universities or an organization like NNACP is unforgivable. Regardless of who she fires or hires I’ll never look at her the same.

• Iris

August 2, 2016 at 4:55 am

I like Wendy, but she spews ignorance a lot of time, and I guess this was the one that screwed her over. Funny thing is this isn’t comment I’ve found most offensive. I’m still pissed that she said Tom Hiddleston was a nobody after Taylor Swift for fame. Just because she marinates in her Lifetime TV shows doesn’t mean the rest of us don’t watch movies with him in it. I also got mad the day she had Isha Sesay on her show and pronounced her name as Sasay. Do your homework for God’s sake.

• le coco

August 2, 2016 at 9:23 am

You guys shldnt be too hard.. she genuinely didn’t know.. not everyone is “Woke”.. but acknowledge that Wendy apologised, and it wasn’t a half assed apology, she acknowledged .. and brought that man who educated her on it.. she now understands the importance.. so let it be..

• Puhlease

August 2, 2016 at 10:40 am

lmaoo what? wendy knew what she was doing. wendy’s show always has more white folks than black, Wendy and Stacey dash should probably have their own show, always kissing asses of white folks. The only reason wendy gave that half assed apology is because she lost some endorsements, she never experred it. She needs to be punished more, next time she wont just spew nonsense out of her mouth.

• www.musingsofjudgejudyjudy.com

August 2, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Yes, but she did apologise and invite the Alpha guy in the video to educate her and her audience about the historical importance of all black institutions – I had been very impressed that she could do that ( though I now see she had quite a bit at stake).
      Everyone makes mistakes and she was just stating her opinion, albeit a misinformed one- but she was quick to correct herself.

8. Yinda

August 2, 2016 at 4:46 am

One will think that Wendy who is so quick to make condescending and judgemental remarks about other people will know not to put her foot in her mouth. How does it feel to have a taste of your own medicine Wendy? And looking all kinds of foolish at the same time.

9. Great Lady

August 2, 2016 at 8:57 am

In as much as i like Wendy, she is just a hypocrite. Babe aren’t you black anymore? Why fire someone for your own mistakes? You beat the drum so dance to the rythm. It’s a pity she fired Jason, he’s such a cool guy.
    Memoirsofagreatlady.com

10. Africans

August 2, 2016 at 9:53 am

Really African ppl? I hope the comments I read above are from Africans…really, ppl are still talking about this wendy stuff?!

I dodn’t find it offensive, insensitive – yes, offensive no. Before u jump on my behind let me explain my take aways from whatever she said

– About HBCUs; those universities are not surviving cos they don’t want to innovate. I would think that in these days, those black universities will go out scoping the best of black excellence around the world. instead they are waiting for the govt to sponsor the Uni…naaa how many times have u seen UK unis here on BN advertising for students.

The most I hear or see about HBCUs in black movies, the dancing and sorority etc. in my opinion, HBCUs need to innovate or die. survival

-NAACP…many will argue that they don’t trust the white ppl in the NAACP. what happened to Rachel? she never said she lied, only that she has always presented her self as black. She was kicked out..

It was insensitive for Wendy to say what she said esp at this time with the killing of black men…

I don’t support the police, but as my mother always says, keep a clean house…witch follow na witch-man. A lot has to be done in the black communities in the US and this starts at HOMEs.

Just my 2 cents.

before I go…how many of us Africans will drop kick a HBCU for a HARVARD?

• Chi

September 23, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I loooooove you!!!! I dont know if I can like your comment a 100x more.

• Jaz

December 7, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Your first paragraph is absolutely ignorant..what defference does it make if the above statements are from black people or not?and how does it change your life..aside from the fact you don’t have one…ha ha

11. GeeGee

August 2, 2016 at 10:42 am

Is it possible for him to sue her for firing him? because i don’t think he asked her to make that comment.

12. Prince

August 2, 2016 at 11:29 am

She too talk sef.

13. Awiase

August 2, 2016 at 1:32 pm

At Geegee and others who think they are not to be blamed for what happened,’they are’.Because Wendy always says they have morning meetings and discuss what she has to say on the show and also ‘edit’ stuff.They’ve probably been fired because she said it there and they were expected to have said no!this Uluru can’t say on tv as it would cause a huge backlash and make this show unpopular.Harsh right?!but still the reality in this part of the world.People abroad here pride themselves in being real but No they really aren’t especially when it comes to tv shows.Like The Real At times they shed tears on the show and u think it was just because they want to?No!Its all scripted and edited out even Wendy the loud mouth too.And she says at times that she is very careful about what she says so she doesn’t get into trouble even though she has to be honest.So yea they let her say what she shouldn’t have and got axed.Even Wendy’s social media was run by Jason so she didn’t get into any wars on social media and create unnecessary drama etc,something Wendy herself admitted on the show herself.Am sad too because I love Jason and his wife Susan.Am hoping Susan is not part too though.

• Billie Bee

September 28, 2016 at 7:32 am

jason and susan an? That’s not her husband, and he’s gay..stupid!

14. Iris

August 2, 2016 at 1:33 pm

BN i think you should double check this. All the articles I’ve seen said the show fired the producers. They didn’t specifically say Wendy did it. It may not have been her idea and she may not have done the firing. I assume there’s a board or something involved.

15. Dori

October 8, 2016 at 5:47 am

Nope Jason is white vtoo, smell a rat

16. D t

October 24, 2016 at 9:40 pm

I was wondering what happened to the white guy on Wendy

17. D t

October 24, 2016 at 9:40 pm

18. Charlie

October 27, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I was wondering what happened to the white gay guy. I even sent a question to her facebook page asking where he was? I thought he was ill or something. Sucks that she fired him for her big stupid mouth.

19. mary syverson

November 4, 2016 at 5:27 pm

I was wondering where the white guy went today, so looked it up here, I immediately turned off her show, and will never watch it again. I didn’t realize how stupid and ignorant she is, to fire someone else for her own stupid brain, is irresponsible!!

20. Jaz

December 7, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Lol..ugh..LETS talk about more intresting things like..how many times Wendy Williams has hosted her show completely high off her ass…yup! Watch closely..if you are a Wendy fan and you watch every episode..go back to last Wednesdays show ..she is wearing a black and green dress..high as a kite..Wendy is just a loud mouth black bitch with an attitude…and clearly a drug problem Still…I can’t stand her. She’s cheap and overly opinionated..haha.!I sound like a hypocrite..who cares…she sucks..but I love watching a good train wreck…She’s good tv.