On Saturday, September 24th 2016, hundreds of people came together in Abuja to complete a 3-kilometre charity walk as part of Stanbic IBTC’s #Together4ALimb initiative.
Under the umbrella of #Together4ALimb, Stanbic IBTC has undertaken to provide some children with prostheses. As well as the artificial limbs, the children also get educational trust funds to help ensure they get quality education.
In 2015, the initiative provided limbs and Educational Trust Funds for five children and this year, the number grew to eight.
- There is 13 year old Tari who lost a leg in a road accident when he was just 2 years and seven months old.
- Then there is sweet three year old Chinonye who was born with a defect in her right leg.
- Fatima is another of the children. She was born with a congenital deformity which meant her leg had to be amputated.
- And Aliyu Usman who got his foot and parts his leg crushed by a Keke driver.
And then there are the tragic stories of the other four children who are victims of the Boko Haram insurgency which has plagued the northern region of the country:
- Alhassan Abdullahi and his parents were shot. They died. While he was lucky to survive, he lost his leg.
- A bomb blast robbed Mohammed of his parents and also his leg.
- Abubakar lived happily in Jakana village until he got shot and lost a leg.
- And when Goni was gunned down, he was so badly injured that his leg had to be amputated.
But now, we believe happier days are ahead for all eight.
Each has been fitted with a prosthesis so that they too can play with their friends, kick a ball around and not feel excluded and labelled due to their childhood trauma.
They have also been given an Educational Trust Fund of N1.5 million each so that their education can be provided for as far as they are willing and able to go and so that they can move forward towards achieving their dreams.
You can find out more about the initiative, this year’s eight beneficiaries and see photos from the walk by visiting Stanbic IBTC’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/stanbicibtc