A tragic incident occurred on Ajoke Kazeem Street, in the Idimu area of Lagos State last Saturday.
A woman, Loretta Ewere, 35, lost her life after she was electrocuted at her fiancé’s home.
PUNCH reports that the fiancé, Segun Tolani, was fixing an electrical fault when the incident happened.
The report stated that Ewere and Tolani had scheduled their wedding for November and preparation was in top gear when tragedy struck.
“The man had wanted to change his old cable TV decoder and antenna. When power was restored, he discovered that he didn’t have electricity in his house.
“He wanted to do it himself, but neighbours advised him to get the service of an electrician. He contacted an electrician who billed him N2,500. But he said the charge was too high. He decided to go and rent a wooden ladder from someone in the area.
He mounted the ladder on the wall and called the lady from inside the room to assist him in holding the ladder. She held the ladder with one hand and held an iron pole beside the room with the other hand.
While he was working, the wire fell and touched the pole she was holding and that was how she was electrocuted,” said a resident who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Tolani called for help and a neighbour, who rushed out to pull out the victim with her bare hands was reportedly flung by the electric current.
An electrician was later called to disconnect the power.
“The woman fell down and hit her head against the concrete floor. People tried to resuscitate her by giving her milk; but she didn’t come round. A lot of time had been wasted. She was rushed to a private hospital in the area, but she was rejected. We took her to the general hospital, where she was confirmed dead. Her corpse was deposited in a mortuary,” another resident said.
One of the relatives of the victim, identified as Charles blamed the incident of Tolani’s stinginess.
“They did their introduction four years ago and since then, they had been staying together. Their marriage was slated for November and the two families have bought clothes and sent invitation to people.
Around 1pm of the day that she died, she called one of her friends that she would be going to shop for the wedding, not knowing that she would die that day.
It was the man’s stinginess that killed her. If he had paid someone to fix the electrical fault, this would not have happened,” Charles said.
The deceased, an indigene of Ewuru, Delta State, was preparing for her last two exams slated for October 4th and 6th in the Purchasing and Supply Department of The Polytechnic Ibadan.
Tolani, an indigene of Ekiti State, worked with an insurance company.
The Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmos, who confirmed the incident said: “She (Loretta Ewere) was living with one Segun Tolani, to whom she was supposed to be married next month. They were fixing a GoTV antenna when power was suddenly restored. Ewere, who was holding the antenna wire, was electrocuted. The corpse has been deposited in a mortuary for a post-mortem examination.”
Photo Credit: Facebook