Weddings

A Church Connection Led Michelle and Emmanuel to Fall in Love! See their Gorgeous Ghanaian Wedding in Canada by Samantha Clarke

BellaNaija Weddings

Michelle and Emmanuel met in church. The groom was an usher, and they had a common friend who Emmanuel told about his crush.

The first day they finally spoke, Emmanuel worked up the courage to ask for Michelle’s number, and when they spoke that evening, it was truly the beginning of something special.

Over three years later, they are now married in a traditional Congolese and Ghanaian wedding.

Here’s their love story and photos by Samantha Clarke!

~ Photography: Samantha Clarke

How We Met
by the bride, Michelle
We met at Transforming Life Centre, our local church in Ottawa, Canada.Our story began in the spring of 2013, a little birdy mentioned that “the usher Emmanuel has been talking about you and thinks that you are amazinggg.” Ain’t that the truth 😉 ! I kept this info in my back pocket waiting for the young fellow to approach me. And at last, one summer Sunday after church, Emmanuel made his first attempt to connect. I remember standing outside in the foyer, Instagramming away, he came over glanced over at my phone and casually asked, “How’s it going?”All I remember was that the nervousness he felt was so apparent. We somehow found our way outside; I walked to my car and Emmanuel to his in the opposite direction. From a distance, he made a comment.

At this point, I was at my car and hardly able to hear him. “Pardon me?” I asked out loud, “Did he just ask for my number!?” (I thought to myself). Emmanuel came closer to repeat his comment, “Oh, I said, ‘have a good afternoon'”… Ah! Very well then, “a good afternoon to you too.” Before we parted ways, he requested for my phone number and promised, “I’ll give you a call after the gym tonight.”Emmanuel and I spent hours on the phone that evening and made arrangements for our very first date a few weeks later. More than three years later, our friendship continues to grow in love, in laughter and in purpose.

How He Proposed
Emmanuel elicited the help of some of my close friends in order to pull of his stellar proposal plans! One Friday night, after he dropped me off, he escorted me home. To my amazement, he had spent time earlier that evening at my place with my friends preparing the home and making it proposal ready! As I walked in, I saw my home filled with candles and rose petals… and with Boys II Men playing in the background. He led me to the living area; there we watched at the big screen as a slideshow of our relationship journey was played. At the end of the trip down memory lane, Emmanuel got down on one knee, summarized what our relationship meant to him and followed it up with the golden question. With tears in my eyes and without hesitation, I said “Yes!” agreeing to spend the rest of her life with my destiny helper.

Advice for Engaged Couples!

Relax and enjoy the processing of planning and the wedding day its self. Keep in mind that after every wedding, there is a marriage. Marriage takes work and commitment – ensure that you are putting in more thought, more effort and more planning into the marriage than for the wedding day.

BellaNaija Weddings wishes Michelle and Emmanuel a beautiful life together, forever.

White Wedding

Traditional Wedding

***

Wedding Info – Colours, Dates & Venues
Traditional: Yellow & Blue, Dartey’s Family Residence, Ottawa | May 21 2016 | Purple, White, Gold
White Wedding: Transforming Life Centre | May 22 2016 | Champagne & Navy Blue

Wedding Vendors and Information
Photography: Samantha Clarke | @samanthaclarke

Wedding Attire
Groom & Groomsmen: Angelo Cavalli | @israel_mufuta & Eaden Myles | @eadenmyles
Makeup: Nadine | @mayaza.beauty & Kinja Ntaira | @kinjantaira
Hair Styling for White Wedding: Emm.weezy | @missummers
Court Wedding: Bride/Bridesmaids | @musehb
Shoes: Christian Louboutin | @louboutinworld
Accessories
Jewelry: Xccess Boutique | @xccessboutique
Feather Fan: A Luxury Event | @aluxuryevent

Vendors
Event Planner: The Rhema Experience| @therhemaexperience
Decor: Luxe Soiree | @luxesoiree & Gizele Events | @gizele_events | Trad Decor: Luxe Soiree | @luxesoiree
DJ for Trad: Kofi Dartey | @kofi_dartey
DJ for White: DJ Fresh | @djfreshcanada
Wedding Cake: @arniecakes

1. nice

January 21, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Dey look hot congrats

2. Newsgirl

January 21, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Happy married life. On a side note, their love story and wedding look very relatable.

3. memebaby

January 21, 2017 at 3:46 pm

This made me smile.. I live in the GTA.. and would love to have this sort of wedding… I don’t have to go back to benin for a carnival… this is just perfect!.. God bless your household you two

• Jessica

January 25, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Hey, contact us for your wedding design- Luxe Soiree Events. We are in the GTA. Thanks.

4. mimi

January 21, 2017 at 4:00 pm

AWWW , the last time i was at TLC ( Transforming Life Centre) church in Ottawa , the bride gave a testimony . She’s very confident and the groom on the shy side. Good to see how their union blossomed on bella naija. I need to go to TLC soon. *covers face and runs away *

5. lola

January 21, 2017 at 7:44 pm

they are a good looking team! especially the mister!.. where are these type of african men in Ontario though (age 27-32) ?.. I am trying to look past Nigeria. baby step

• Iris

January 22, 2017 at 4:37 am

Lol if you think you’re suffering you should see Alberta.

• Donald

January 22, 2017 at 10:09 am

I am 32 but in Nigeria. I am an optimist. I like women who are bold enough to say what they want.

• lola

January 23, 2017 at 4:37 am

whats your email address ?

6. AlbertaMan

January 22, 2017 at 5:13 am

@Iris, Alberta is worse. For a 35 year old educated naija man living in Edmonton, I have been told by 25-27 year olds I have met that I am too old. Lol…Abroad things. Heading to naija this Xmas at the end of the year to find a bride if I dont get hooked up in Alberta. HML to the couple

• girl in Sauga

January 22, 2017 at 9:31 am

lol..i would have introduced myself but uncle, i’m just 25 lol…all the best in nigeria

• ogeAdiro⏳

January 22, 2017 at 2:25 pm

It is not about educated. Do you have money? Iji okpogho?

• Iris

January 22, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Lol that’s what I meant. For a single Nigerian female, Alberta makes Ontario look like a harem full of men. I live in Edmonton and it’s exhausting.

• Goodness

January 31, 2017 at 10:57 pm

35 isn’t old. If you want to hook up with a Nigerian in her 30’s living in Nigeria. I have a friend who is looking for a serious relationship. What’s your email address?

7. Queen

January 22, 2017 at 9:01 am

Hmmmmmmm…….I believe we all should pray to meet our rightful partners and also work hard for it

8. Queen

January 22, 2017 at 9:18 am

Happy married life…… @Alberta keep praying and working hard towards it

9. Chichi

January 22, 2017 at 11:08 am

Albert, stop praying. u’re my type of guy and u don’t need 2 head home.

10. Fabulous

January 23, 2017 at 10:46 am

Beautiful couple. I wish you guys all the best.

11. Planning a classy wedding is not cheap at all, money and mental wise…loved everything about it….down to the cake!

12. nutella

February 2, 2017 at 1:30 pm

@Albertaman, hit me up [email protected] BTW I’m a 32 yr old single lady, in Lagos, Nigeria..tnx

13. adeola