News

Read Mark Zuckerberg’s Heartfelt Open Letter in Response to Trump’s Immigration Rulings

BellaNaija.com

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg shared his view on President Trump‘s recent executive orders relating to immigration policies in a heartfelt Facebook post.
My great grandparents came from Germany, Austria and Poland. Priscilla’s parents were refugees from China and Vietnam. The United States is a nation of immigrants, and we should be proud of that.
Like many of you, I’m concerned about the impact of the recent executive orders signed by President Trump.

We need to keep this country safe, but we should do that by focusing on people who actually pose a threat. Expanding the focus of law enforcement beyond people who are real threats would make all Americans less safe by diverting resources, while millions of undocumented folks who don’t pose a threat will live in fear of deportation.
We should also keep our doors open to refugees and those who need help. That’s who we are. Had we turned away refugees a few decades ago, Priscilla’s family wouldn’t be here today.

That said, I was glad to hear President Trump say he’s going to “work something out” for Dreamers — immigrants who were brought to this country at a young age by their parents. Right now, 750,000 Dreamers benefit from the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program that allows them to live and work legally in the US. I hope the President and his team keep these protections in place, and over the next few weeks I’ll be working with our team at FWD.us to find ways we can help.
I’m also glad the President believes our country should continue to benefit from “people of great talent coming into the country.”

These issues are personal for me even beyond my family. A few years ago, I taught a class at a local middle school where some of my best students were undocumented. They are our future too. We are a nation of immigrants, and we all benefit when the best and brightest from around the world can live, work and contribute here. I hope we find the courage and compassion to bring people together and make this world a better place for everyone.

1. A

January 28, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Said it all. Thank you Mark.

2. unadite

January 28, 2017 at 11:05 pm

Trump just seem like trouble bubbling under……..

3. kay

January 28, 2017 at 11:15 pm

In what capacity is he writing again? A billionaire living in his bubble…

• DinonMC

January 29, 2017 at 12:17 am

A Billionaire who cares…must we hate??? Do you know how many immigrant billionaires in the USA who said nothing? SMH

• Bolu

January 29, 2017 at 12:19 am

Really? If u really mean wot u wrote then u got issues. And if u are Nigerian, I taya for your mentality then, how many times av d billionaires or leaders or peeps in important position stood up for the average Joe?

4. Renie

January 28, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Well said Mark, well said. President Donald Trump’s mother is from Scotland and his grandfather; Frederick Trump was a German who emigrated to the United states when he was a teenager. America was built on the backs of slaves and immigrants.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

January 29, 2017 at 11:35 pm

You know this! Thank you!!

5. Missy J

January 28, 2017 at 11:38 pm

You know… when Germany opened it’s borders to the refugees, the Germans hailed the move. And felt good for such act.
    Fast forward to Post-Berlin Christmas attack, the narrative has changed..
    What of Turkey’s New year attack? Let’s not talk of France, Belgium attacks.
    In crisis like this, the security of your country comes first. Tough call.
    Again, that was in his campaign. Were they expecting things to change?
    Well….wetin concern me??

• Weezy

January 29, 2017 at 12:23 am

I hope you don’t plan on visiting the US anytime in the next few years. I love how people are forgetting that Nigeria has boko haram, majority Muslims, and a Nigerian is in US prison for trying to blow up a plane. You think Trump will stopwith 7?

But it’s like they say, in Germany when they came for the Communists I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a communist. When they came for the Jews I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew…. But when they came for me there was no one left to speak out.

• Anon

January 29, 2017 at 1:06 am

Majority Moslem?

• Mr. Egghead

January 29, 2017 at 2:32 am

Nigeria is not in the same group with the banned countries. Those countries were already on a State Department list as “”countries of concern”. Trump just brought out the big stick on those countries. There are other majority-moslem countries that were not banned.

• Nene

January 29, 2017 at 8:43 am

I agree with you

6. xoxo

January 28, 2017 at 11:39 pm

BN, sorry to deviate, but what happened to the Matharoo sisters? Wasn’t their court date supposed to take place in late January? Was a case presented? What was the ruling?

• Anon

January 28, 2017 at 11:54 pm

They bailed and didn’t appear in court. They are in Canada.

• Bolu

January 29, 2017 at 12:23 am

Lmao Nigerian law and security system is very sound for those girls to be able to leave d country with a pending court date still in place. Very efficient system??

• Abk

January 29, 2017 at 4:51 am

Otedola let them go, has nothing to do with court system. Carry your crying laugher elsewhere.

• Bolu

January 29, 2017 at 5:48 am

I already laughed while typing my msg so it can’t be taken back. Pele dear?

7. Missy J

January 28, 2017 at 11:46 pm

Let me face the one that concerns me.
    When is Daddy Bubu returning? Because if he tey too much, he will not enter the country again oh! Awon visitors aren’t exempted.
    It will do them like Indian film.

8. justsaying

January 29, 2017 at 2:11 am

If a great man like jfk was assassinated surely some crazy white person can easily take out this douche bag. Cmon do us all a favor so we have only four years of Pence.

• A Real Nigerian

January 29, 2017 at 2:52 am

How classy.

• Ybbil

January 29, 2017 at 7:42 am

May they not take you, cos I am sure you are crazy to some people

• Nakoms

January 29, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Ever heard of the theory of unintended consuquences? Beware of what you wish for Sir!

• See

January 30, 2017 at 12:27 am

Pence?!! Pence!?!!

9. anonymous

January 29, 2017 at 4:41 am

Mark zuckeberg is a hypocrite. Hes only saying this cos it benefits him. He went to Hawaii and bought a whole area belonging to the people now hes building a wall over there therby blocking the view of these villagers from the norm they have known for over 100 years and yet he has the mouth to talk trash about trump building wall. Please my BN people Google it and read it yourself. Nonsense

• *Real* Nice Anon

January 29, 2017 at 6:00 am

I just googled and he has dropped the lawsuits to force them to sell the lands so at least the outcry led to something being done. I didn’t even know about this at all. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

10. mama zee

February 13, 2017 at 1:27 pm

in as much as it might not be totally nice for countries to be band from entering another country because of some few bad eggs, i still feel everyone should be careful in lending a helping hand. when the Boko Haram terrorists started it felt like a little case. more than 5 years down the line we have not been able to purge them out. its a very delicate topic and should be handled with caution.