Scoop

“I Want To Redefine Film” – Kemi Adetiba says as she Covers Today’s Woman’s January/February Issue

BellaNaija.com

It’s 2017 and TW’s cover girl is talking and dreaming BIG just like they are, as their tenth-year dawns!

A real game changer with impeccable pedigree, Oluwakemi shares on getting the gig for ‘The Wedding Party’, the monster hit movie she recently directed; the awesome inspiration of a life long experience of positive feminine power within her family; and her desire to inspire many women to BE, through her project The King Women.

She says “It is a passion project about very strong women…They are accomplished, but there’s a back story to it.”

With an inborn knack for storytelling recognised by her NY film school professor, Kemi showed Nigerians and the rest of the world a taste of it, in her last feature film.

Read all about why this is just the beginning for her, as well as the emotional story of her personal insecurities and battle with fibroids…

Today’s Woman is out on the streets NOW at newsstands & vendors nationwide!

The digital edition is NOW AVAILABLE directly from the website www.twmagazine.net.

Cover Credits:
Photography And Creative Direction: Emmanuel Oyeleke
Styling: Jane Michael Ekanem, Favor Olugu
Cover Story: Syreeta Akinyede
Makeup: Zaron Cosmetics
Hair: Apples And Oranges

1. NaijaPikin

February 2, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Beauty and brains……does it get any better?

• All4One

February 3, 2017 at 7:29 am

I always vowed I’d never pay to watch a Nigerian movie. I wasn’t going to waste money on sub-standard production. I had paid to watch “Arrival” with Amy Adams but the picture quality was so poor, the supervisor offered me an alternative movie. “Wedding Party” was the only option.
      And thank God! Wedding Party is a very good movie……….. superb script, perfect actors (Shola Sobowale is AMAZING!), good cinematography and a very funny storyline. Much effort was really put into this movie and Kemi was just outstanding! Great movie!

2. madman

February 2, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Looks like the reason why Wedding Party did so well in the box office is because many Nigerian movie theaters failed to show other films and other options. Hence, they had a monopoly of the market place. How smart.

If customers don’t have an option or choice, then too bad.

Hidden figures – no show.
    Moonlight – No show
    Lala Land – no show.

good strategy.

• Sisi

February 2, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Interesting theory, what were the official opening dates of the movies you mentioned?

• Joke

February 3, 2017 at 6:36 am

Yup, that’s all part of an excellent strategy. And yes, they should use any means they can employ to get people to watch our stories, so they can make their money back plus profit, so our stories can keep getting told. What connection do we have to Hidden figures, Moonlight or Lala Land? None. They are stories I’m glad got told, particularly Hidden Figures, but they are not our stories. Could Kemi have ever dreamed of being a director on any one of those movies? Lai lai! All she was allowed to be on American sets was a PA, that’s why she returned to Nigeria after she finished film school. I’m extremely happy for her. Too many of our talents are practically dying in the diaspora because only very few get to return home to do what they really want to do. Please Nigeria keep shining. You are the hope of Africa!

• tunmi

February 3, 2017 at 4:00 pm

You didn’t have to dismiss Hidden Figures, Moonlight and Lala Land although Lala land can be dismissed for whitewash jazz. I get the need to tell our stories but we can see ourselves in those films particularly Hidden Figures and Moonlight. In Hidden Figures, you can relate to being denied opportunities even though you have the skill. And in Moonlight, you can relate to finding yourself and the people that have helped you along the way.

Yes I’m in my feelings, let me go and eat.

3. KingsQueen

February 3, 2017 at 1:59 am

Hey Sistergirl!!!

4. Kyjuan

February 3, 2017 at 2:02 am

She’s HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!

5. Xtophar

February 3, 2017 at 8:22 am

Kemi you can never do any wrong in my eyes… NEVURRRRRRRR

6. Obi

February 3, 2017 at 9:14 am

Unpopular opinion but wedding party wasn’t a great storyline. In fact great shouldn’t be used with wedding party. It was an okay storyline with nice lightings or cinematography and further boosted by Sola Sobowale (The yoruba mother) so you guys should chill with the hype.

• Chynwa

February 3, 2017 at 9:20 am

Thanks so much Obi!!! I could love ur comment over and over again! I’ve nothing but love for the entire cast and crew but it wasn’t a great storyline!

• Sincerely

February 3, 2017 at 10:21 am

Thank you. I swear I was so desperate to watch this movie. I went to the cinemas three times because I kept missing the show time. So when I finally watched it, I was like “OK??? Is this it?” I guess I was expecting too much. Great cinematography like you said but definitely definitely overhyped. I heard people were even sharing seats just to watch it. To each his own.

7. Aa

February 3, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Thank you obi. For like twenty mins into the movie I didn’t laugh, and I was already getting impatient. Even d few hilarious scenes felt like I’ve seen them before, not original and still fell short. The movie was over hyped abeg. I only enjoyed stella sobowale. The story line isn’t strong, same also d comedy part. Film house is just forcing it down our throats cos they are among the producers

8. NaijaPikin

February 3, 2017 at 4:25 pm

The storyline was nothing great. The greatness was in the cast and cinematography.

Sola Sobowale and Zainab was amazingly good……..Sola was so good, I went and dug up a few of her past movies on youtube to satisfy my sola cravings.

We’ve seen the funny, Kemi we are waiting on you to step it up even further and bring the serious.