News

Immigration Policy: Don’t go to the U.S. if you don’t have “compelling or essential reasons” – FG Advises Nigerians

BellaNaija.com

Abike Dabiri-Erewa

The presidency has advised Nigerians without “any compelling or essential reasons to visit the US to consider rescheduling their trip until there is clarity on the new immigration policy”.

This was disclosed in a statement by Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora.

“In the last few weeks, the office has received a few cases of Nigerians with valid multiple-entry US visas being denied entry and sent back to Nigeria. In such cases reported to the office, such affected persons were sent back immediately on the next available flight and their visas were cancelled,” the statement signed by Dabiri-Erewa’s media aide, Abdurrahman Balogun said.

“No reasons were given for the decision by the US immigration authorities,” the statement said adding that it “is only to advise Nigerians without any compelling or essential reasons to visit the US to consider rescheduling their trip until there is clarity on the new immigration policy.”

Source: Dailytrust

1. madman

March 6, 2017 at 5:06 pm

I thought Trump and BUHARI ARE BEST of FRIENDS. DIDN’T Trump talk to Buhari on his death bed? Nigerians why are you slacking na?

• donald trump

March 6, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Death bed? Was gonna say more but then, I saw your username.

• Anne

March 6, 2017 at 8:21 pm

I’d say go to the US if you already have a visa and need to go. They may not send you back. For those who are in the US already, I will advise you to remain in and not travel for now.

2. o

March 6, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Na wa. I know a family that their visa expires this year. And they plan to use it for the first time during summer. Hope vacation is compelling and essential enough. Mschewwwwww. They go soon tire

• Anon

March 6, 2017 at 11:27 pm

May you be able to afford a holiday abroad one day. Amen

• o

March 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm

What do you mean by this??? Holiday abroad is not my problem. I go every year. I’m referring to the US ppl saying they will soon get tired of all these their policies esp because they will lose a lot of money from tourism…. If you need to use your tourist visa, isn’t that good enough reason? Some of you can’t tell when someone is simply being sarcastic.

3. bee

March 6, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Abeg what is compelling o.
    I have a meeting in America in May.
    Will they let me in seeing that I was there last year for only 2 weeks in respect of this same meeting?

• tunmi

March 6, 2017 at 5:36 pm

go and enjoy your meeting.

4. Nakoms

March 6, 2017 at 5:51 pm

I decided on this after my last trip to the the Martin Luther King memorial in Atlanta Georgia. How one man could devote his life to the singular cause of freedom for his people made me shed so much tears I may not be able to muster the courage of this great man but I promised to contribute the much I can to my motherland Nigeria. If I can’t lead let me at least support those doing great things here. If the trip is not compelling I have no business being there!

• Naija4real

March 7, 2017 at 3:31 am

My people..my people….Atlanta Georgia,Miami Florida…my people will always put name and surname…LA california

5. OA

March 6, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Even we wey dey Yankee dey fi-ye! No one wants to leave for fear of not being allowed back in regardless of status — even citizens are skeptical. Three of my family members have held back their trips. Even me, na God save me. I was supposed to come home late February, only to hear later that they were stressing people with dual citizenship out and holding them at Immigration for questioning. I only cancelled because I was very sick and was unable to fly.

• Ada

March 6, 2017 at 6:50 pm

I don’t think they will refuse back into the country if you are a citizen. Everybody goes through screening citizen and non citizens. Even if you have dual citizenship you will re-enter the country .I am an American citizen i can travel anywhere and come back without any fear of re-entering.The only problem again is if you have a Muslim name they will really screen you and that something i don’t like because not all Muslim are bad people.

• anon

March 6, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Citizen or not i’ll say sit tight . its a facist regime. They give no other rationale for targetting poorer nations. If you are dual nigerian/american they can deny you entry. The nigerian government will not fight your corner , hence they are sending out this travel advice.

• Niger Delta Babe

March 7, 2017 at 4:13 am

Dont be naive. Mohammed Ali’s (the boxing legend) wife and son were interrogated when they flew in and almost arrested. The wife got away by showing a picture of her with Mohammed. The son was interrogated for much longer trying to prove he is the descendant of slaves.. All because their names are “unAmerican.” Do not assume anything works. the president has by his actions given full authority to the usually resentful INS folks to flout the law. they will do what they feel like doing because there will be no RECOURSE. TIME TO FIX THE VACATION SPOTS IN YOUR COUNTRY

6. Tru

March 6, 2017 at 6:33 pm

The economy sucks. That compelling enough?

• The Real Oma

March 6, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Hahaha, that should be compelling enough, me thinks

7. Ememobong

March 6, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Everybody blow ya trumpet…

8. Victor Adegoke

March 6, 2017 at 8:08 pm

This Immigration Policy! Trump said it is in the best interest of U.s Security. America no longer free for all.

9. Cynical

March 6, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Na wa o. Pls anyone who has an experience of such or knows someone who has should pls share o. I’m traveling soon and just want to know what’s going on. Which one is compelling reason Biko? Going on vacation to relieve Nigerian stress good enough?? I have a feeling these turning back may be pregnant women. Pls share,thanks.

• Jay

March 6, 2017 at 10:30 pm

Very soon they’ll even get rid of the citizenship by birth. That I don’t blame them for, it’s been overly bastardized.

• Pinta

March 6, 2017 at 11:52 pm

Overly bastardized by NIGERIANS!

• Niger Delta Babe

March 7, 2017 at 4:18 am

That is exactly where this is headed.Now they have bastardized the green card and gotten away with it, almost. The visa is nothing but toilet paper if you have to fly to your destination and some egghead decides you need only one week instead of the 4 weeks you planned for your business. Next thing is retroactive nullification of birth certificates of kids born to parents with non-resident status on the premise that the parents were not supposed to be on medical visas when they came in. After that, they will probably say if you dont have European ancestry your citizenship is second class without voting rights. AFRICANS, FIX YOUR BACKYARD SO THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO BE INSULTED BY ILLITERATE IMMIGRATIONS.

• Niger Delta Babe

March 7, 2017 at 4:19 am

But I will disagree with you on the point about citizenship by birth being bastardized. The only ones with the right to deny entry into this country are the Native Americans. All immigrants on the Mayflower were ILLEGAL. They came by boat and it is no different from crossing the Mexican border

• Niger Delta Babe

March 7, 2017 at 4:21 am

Mayflower occupants were not issued visas. Teh Native AMericans did not have any embassies in Europe. They did not have port of entry checkpoints either. They assumed each would respect the others space. If they had foreseen their plight, I wonder if they would have fought harder.

• FasholasLover

March 7, 2017 at 10:59 pm

The UK did it. So, ‘will not be surprised if Trump does the same.

• FasholasLover

March 7, 2017 at 11:01 pm

………I mean automatic citizenship by birth.

• Ada

March 7, 2017 at 10:23 pm

My dear sister i live in America and things are not very good, but you might be lucky to come in for vacation.Just have a destination location .I don’t think they will send you back.If you have a good job and can proof you are here for vacation they will allow you.

10. Omaz

March 6, 2017 at 10:17 pm

I was held for hours yesterday at Houston airport by US customs. They went through my whatzapp chats. Asked to see my return ticket, and why I want to stay 2 months in the US. So please don’t lie about your stay in the US because they may ask to see ur return ticket like d asked me n had it been I lied, I would Hv been sent back. So be careful who n what u chat about prior to your entry into The Golden USA.

• ogeAdiro

March 7, 2017 at 1:11 am

Houston has been harassing people way before Trump.

• Nuna

March 7, 2017 at 9:12 am

Lol this happens ALL THE TIME at Houston. Early last year I was kept for hours as the officer thoroughly ransacked my phone. There was no app he didnt check. I just thought it was funny. I didnt even mind since I had nothing incriminating on the phone and I didnt lie about anything.

11. Kay

March 6, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Abeg abeg abeg!!!! Please come If you have the right documents! As far as I know citizens, visitors and green card holders have to be checked before they come in. So if you have the right documents you would be allowed in. Don’t stop yourself from exploring the world.

12. Author Unknown

March 7, 2017 at 5:23 am

We finally hear from Nigerian officials because it’s an issue that threatens to impact Nigerian elites, including themselves. Legit Nigerians abroad are treated badly all the time because of our reputation. How has the government office helped? Give us constant electricity, clean water supply, good infrastructure, and sound education. These are things that the average Nigerian needs, not a visit to America.

13. Susie

March 7, 2017 at 6:09 am

Lol where is Bruno and the Nigerians who were cheering when Trump won? You thought he would target only Muslims abi? Meanwhile I’m wondering whether some of the African Pastors who said God loves Trump will have their visas bounced as that will be funny 😀

14. Diokpa

March 7, 2017 at 9:05 am

America may be strong and very appealing today but will not remain so in the next few years. Nigeria may be the last place anybody (even Nigerians) will want to settle, however, I smell & feel greatness building up gradually and steadily in Nigeria. Aside poor infrastructure in Nigeria, why do we travel out, no reason again, Many countries are seeing our economic potentials (South Africa, China, Korea even America) but we fail to take the initiative. Technology will force us to take initiative and reduce corruption. This Giant has slept in the last two decades but right now it is awake and will be a force to be reckoned with in Africa and the world. The growth is slow but steady. We are coming out of recession in the next 6 months and we ain’t looking back in growth & development. America and the rest of Europe can keep their visas….Kudos to all Nigerians that have stayed back to develop Nigeria, your efforts will never go in vain.It is my country and I own it likewise you. All hands must be on deck to build capacity. Good morning Nigerians.,

15. Aderinola

March 7, 2017 at 5:57 pm

My US visa expires in a few months.
    I will not be renewing it anytime soon.
    As if it’s not my money I will spend in their country.
    Nonsense.
    Anyway, I’ve always wanted to visit Canada.

16. Ada

March 7, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Nigerian you guys can talk. Most of you even know America more than those that live there .What i know It is not bad the way you guys are making it to be. As long as you have the right documents and have a reason for ur visit, i think you should be fine. some people are even saying they are denying citizens their right to return to their country. If you an America citizen they cannot deny you entry back into the country. I don’t know where Nigerian are getting that notion. What i know if that those with Muslim are screened thoroughly but they are not denied if they live here.Everybody is screen citizen and non citizen. I am an American/ Nigerian and i have being living in America for a very long time and i have not seen where they are denying citizen their right to return to their country.

17. Letty

February 17, 2018 at 9:48 pm

Trump and his cabinet have no clue. All thet want is ethnic cleansing they are tired of seeing non Caucasian races. They have a deep seated fear that minorities are out numbering white people. People with green cards are being deported how much more those with tourist visas. As long as stephen miller and all the rednecks are running around the white house this country remains very unstable

Err on the side of caution. I am a citizen but still my passport is available just in case they suspect me if they see my ethnic nija name. America is on edge right now..

As I always say. America is not Heaven