News

Ooni of Ife Impersonator Confesses to Defrauding 2 U.S.-based Nigerian Women who Wanted to be his “Queen”

BellaNaija.com

Abiodun Joseph | Photo Credit: Premium Times

The Ogun State Police Command on Monday paraded one Abiodun Joseph, 26, for impersonating the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi.

Premium Times reports that Joseph was arrested last Wednesday at Ilese, in Ijebu North East Local Government Area and confessed to defrauding two U.S.-based Nigerian women of N600,000 after he promised to marry them.

The State’s Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Illyasu, told journalists that the suspect had opened a Facebook account with the name and picture of the monarch, which he used to defraud his victims.

“I knew that Ooni was popular that was why I uploaded his picture.

Barely few days after I opened the Facebook account, many people, mostly ladies started to send me friend requests. Many of them said I have good looks and they said they wanted to be my ‘Oloris’ (wives).

But in our chats, I told them that they have to pay some money if they are really interested in being my Oloris. Two of them based in the United States of America sent some money totalling N600,000 to me through money transfer mode.

One sent N350,000 and the second one sent N250,000,” Joseph was quoted as saying.

According to Joseph, one of the women requested that he buys her a N45m house. He said that he told her to send N5m and he will add the balance, adding that he was still expecting the money before he was arrested.

“I regret my action, most especially using the name and pictures of the Ooni to perpetuate fraud. I seek for his forgiveness,” he said.

Photo Credit: Premium Times

1. Deleke

April 25, 2017 at 10:10 am

Choi, Naija we no get chill

2. tony

April 25, 2017 at 10:15 am

Some women are just so incredibly dumb. You actually believe Ooni will be soliciting for N600,000 for you on Facebook?

3. Ms B

April 25, 2017 at 10:24 am

Who should we blame pls??? The very daft fraudsters or the very stewpeed women who were paying to marry ooni?? Really? Paying fa! Someone collecting billions from government and you paid 250000 to him?? Women??? From Facebook nonetheless ????

• FasholasLover

April 25, 2017 at 11:58 am

I beg, release the man joor. Mugu fall guy man wack. Very stupid women.

4. funmilola

April 25, 2017 at 10:34 am

In this era,some greedy people still fall for scams like these…..how can you pay to become an olori?….very ridiculous

5. Deb

April 25, 2017 at 11:19 am

The women should be arrested as well. Greedy women

6. keke driver

April 25, 2017 at 11:33 am

Lmaooo These people have no chill.

7. June

April 25, 2017 at 12:36 pm

The moment you read a BN article heading and you just burst out laughing!!!!!??????????! I cannot even be mad at the guy !! See his face!!!?????

• Honestina

April 25, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I tell you, my kids are looking at me like “is mummy crazy”.
      very funny heading as well as narration..Interpol should go after those women for their foolish act

• ATL's finest

April 28, 2017 at 3:45 am

@ June that’s SO ME.. I can’t deal these days abeg.. BN bn making my day since when the came into existence.

8. bolintin

April 25, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Na wao. pay to become olori.
    olori don become political office where they can recover their monies back or what?

How will you even feel as the olori knowing fully well you paid your husband to marry you?
    Abi me i dont understand how some ladies reasons o.

how on earth does anybody pay to become olori???????????????//

9. May

April 25, 2017 at 6:29 pm

In my opinion they should free the guy and ‘arrest ‘ the ladies for stupidity…. Smh

10. Oba wannabe

April 25, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I’d always rated our Naija sisters low on the ‘mumu scale’. How wrong. Now, can anyone please suggest an impressive Emir, Obi or Oba name for a new business venture I’m planning to launch. Only nice looking ones, a beg. Can’t deal with some mf ugly ones I know, mek dem no come spoil business for me, biko.

11. survivor

April 25, 2017 at 8:17 pm

They were desperate to become Wuraola…Oga o!
    The fraudster and d fraustee no get common sense