News

Ooni of Ife not Ready to Make any Statement over What Happened Between him and Oba of Lagos

BellaNaija.com

Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi

The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, speaking through the Director, Media and Public Affairs, Ooni’s Palace, Moses Olafare, has said he is not ready to make any official statement over what happened on Tuesday between him and Oba of Lagos, Oba Akiolu.

Oba Akiolu had, at a social function, waved his hand in a somewhat dismissive manner, after the Ooni approached him for a handshake.

“Nobody should castigate anybody for doing what he did because of the position he holds and because of his age… Ooni would not stop to accord his colleagues and every category of people the respect they deserve. The Ooni of Ife is not ready to make any official statement over what happened between him and the Oba of Lagos. He still holds Oba Akiolu in high esteem and what happened yesterday will not stop the Ooni from holding him in high esteem,” Olafare told PUNCH.

1. Gbogbo Bigz Girlz

April 27, 2017 at 9:13 am

I trust Nigerians to overflog this issue. Here’s my own verdict.
    *The ooni of Ife should respect his stool and reduce his outings and his convoy. His entrance​ at events can be distracting, I get pissed off too. I can imagine how many snobs his olori must have gotten. Ooni, e ma joko je ki won ye ri yin fin.
    *Oba Akiolu should be forgiving and be more matured in public. Baba olopa, e ma dariji, e de ye se igberaga mo.
    *Those who hate Akiolu due to the lagoon statement should be forgiving as well.
    *I’m Yoruba and not a fan of traditional titles, Akiolu probably felt superior cos of the wealth of Lagos.

• Omo Olumo

April 27, 2017 at 11:07 am

Abegi swerve! Gone are the days when Obas were part of the palace decor. So because Queen Elizabeth, the queen of England travels alot or her heirs, they should be automatically disrespected? Ooni has chosen to be different, be out of the box and I applaud him for that. If his mission is to unite the race then he has my undivided support. In my opinion, he is appears to be a good leader.

2. survivor

April 27, 2017 at 10:21 am

OnI can go whenever he likes,oni cannot b like sijuade..enjoi your life young man..life is not that serious.. Mayb u people should go meet abobaku to explaine what transpire between them..cos on I got no time for pettiness

3. Temi

April 27, 2017 at 10:44 am

Ooni is still adjusting to his new office. He doesn’t know he is a diety that should only be spotted on rare occasions and when he shows, it should be a friggin big deal. rIP Sijuwade. Olubuse be setting there in dark shades pimped out while they all come and pay homage to him. This crown might be too heavy for ogunwusi.

Now back to akilolu – I knew he was a joke when he was spotted in London carrying his own party pack jolloff rice in a plastic bag at an event in London. Baale elebi

• Anon

April 27, 2017 at 11:36 am

Major laughter at “I knew he was a joke when he was spotted in London carrying his own party pack jolloff rice in a plastic bag at an event in London.”

He has to feed the gods!

The Ooni is a young man and he’s networking.

• feyi

April 27, 2017 at 3:15 pm

bale elebi???? lmao ? ? ?

• Janee

April 27, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Carrying his party rice in a nylon bag ??

• osa

April 28, 2017 at 12:03 am

Ehnnn?? Abeg give us gist. When did he carry plastic about with food in london

• Stuz

April 28, 2017 at 3:19 pm

lwmkmdie ooo! Carrying his own party pack jollof ke? This is the funniest thing i’ve read this week.

4. Ada_ugo

April 27, 2017 at 12:18 pm

lol… we igbos have our issues, no doubt. But I am glad this is not one we ever have to deal with!

• kkay

April 27, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Please, could you stop this tribalistic slur. No tribe is better than the other. We are all equal before God. We are all human beings and full of flaws.
      You find the good, the bad, the ugly in every tribe and race.

• osa

April 28, 2017 at 12:07 am

Yorubas are actually the most superior in terms of enlightenement. Thats why i tend to affiliate with them. I also speak the language well. More than my bini sef. Little wonder igbos especially are always ready to throw some sub which they the yorubas cant even be bothered by.

Ada ugo pls eliminate memories of the biafra war from ur head.

• Ada_ugo

April 28, 2017 at 3:18 am

kkay, what is tribalist in saying we never have to deal with Oba X being inferior or superior to Oba Y. Flip that statement any which way you want, we simply never have to deal with it because we have no Obas. This is not a tribalist sentiment, this is a fact. Maybe worry more about what is bothering you than converting any mention of a different tribe into a tribalist sentiment.

• kkay

April 29, 2017 at 8:13 am

@ Ada_ugo, I am actually Igbo through and through. I love Ndi Igbo and I am proud to be Onye Igbo. I love people from other tribes and races. I hold people accountable for their actions not their tribe or race.

@ Osa, no tribe is more enlightened than any other tribe. You’re limited to the people you have interacted with. Your inference is inaccurate.

• Ada_ugo

April 30, 2017 at 2:54 am

@kkay, thanks for letting me know that you are igbo, but that is besides the point. the point is I made mention of a FACT, and you chose to look at it from your myopic sentimental perspective. You would do well to analyse statements from a more objective point of view, instead of shouting “tribalism” at the drop of a hat.

5. mulikat

April 27, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Akinlou should step down as Oba of Lagos, in our tradition forget about age of Ooni, he is the Oba of all Oba in yoruba race,Nr.1 of all Oba cos is Oduduwa himself is first Ooni before is children become obas in all yoruba land,Nr.2 is Alafin of Oyo, who was Gr.son of Ooni Orumila is first Alafin.e.t.c, we cant forget tradition ,simple Ooni today is a young man.fuck Oba of Lagos for bring yoruba tradition down, he is not fit for this thron,as oba of lagos, step down.and Ooni respect that sit, stop bring yourself down, common you are Ooni Oba of all Oba, rest Oba must bow down for you,stop travelling about like film star.

6. GANNY OGUNSHAKIN

April 27, 2017 at 8:20 pm

The Ooni of Ife Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi should continue to take the high road. As the imperial Oba in Yoruba Land, you shouldn’t descend to the same level as the Lunatic king of Lagos. Oba Rilwanu Akiolu. Oduduwa is right behind you. We the Yoruba people are also behind you. Keep up the good work. A word is enough for the wise. I’m just saying.

7. Sammy

April 27, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Akiolu should apologize to ooni.