Music

“People out there saying I have too many babies, do you know how many babies they have killed?” – Davido on Rumours, Music & Taking over Africa in Guardian Life Magazine

BellaNaija.com

Music star Davido is one of the biggest stars out of Africa at the moment and ever since the Omo Baba Olowo came on the music scene in 2011 with “Dami Duro”, he has been blazing hot ever since.

Recently, he has pushed himself to greater heights with global recognition – from a Sony deal to mega collaborations and magazine features – but for Davido, Africa is where his heart is.

In this interview with Guardian Life magazine, he talks about why Africa will always remain his focus, his ultimate goal as a musician, those never-ending rumours and more.

Read excerpts below.

On his deal with Sony: First of all, I didn’t even want to take the deal because I didn’t need it. I was doing tours all over Africa with 50,000 to 80,000, people so it was like why am I signing the deal? They tried to fix me up with a producer and I decided to come home, but I’m still signed to them, it’s going good. They have realized how much potential is here because even when I am all over the world it is my African songs that even the oyibo people f*** with.

On his collaboration with Tinashe: The collaboration was as a result of the Sony deal. Don’t get me wrong, Tinashe is a talented artist but it wasn’t my style. My style is just the Nigerian style like I said before, I can’t sing American music pass Chris Brown and Chris Brown cannot come and sing Nigerian music pass me.

On making music for the African market: I had to look at what I had, which was a whole continent. That is what all of those guys in America want. When you’re over there all of them want to be here. We need to just know what we are worth.

On his baby mama drama: All those people out there saying I have too many babies, do you know how many babies they have killed? At least I can confidently say I have never told any girl to have an abortion. I am not saying having a baby without marriage is good, but to me babies are blessings.

On rumours about him: You know they always attack me, people always say s*** about me but I always hit them back with the music, which is the most important thing. People always say my dad is giving me money when was the last time my dad gave me money? All the kids came together, we bought our dad a N409 million car for his birthday.

On his goal as a musician: My goal would be to keep doing what I am doing and get to that legend status. I want to bring up other artists like Mayorkun, who dropped his single Sade. I am 24 now, I cannot be doing music when I’m 30, I’ll probably drop two albums after this but I want to be done by the time I’m 29 or 30. I want to have a big media house and go into other things like filming. I know eight presidents personally so you can imagine what I can do, like youth empowerment.

Read more from the interview here.

1. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

April 12, 2017 at 10:56 am

Ahn…..Ahn…..

Davido, must you respond and react to every Social Media comments, gossip, talks, even Punch Newspaper reporting?

You have sold millions of records; “Skelewu”

You even sang at Billionaire Aliko Dangote 60th birthday

What else do you want?

You have money, you are not even up to 30

Ha!!!!!!!!!

Find a publicist; jooorrrrr

2. FasholasLover

April 12, 2017 at 11:26 am

You can have as many babies as you want. One for every country in Africa that is if you can find one woman to do this with you!. What people are saying is that you should have it within marriage or a committed relationship. Stop ‘straffing’ without protection. Therein lies the danger.
    All the children pool 409 Million on a car? A Car?? I reserve my comment.

• Anne

April 12, 2017 at 2:13 pm

And there are married people with 3 children who didn’t kill any. I am happy you said you are not saying babies without marriage is good, you said the truth for that one.

3. Beard gang

April 12, 2017 at 11:30 am

Davido and his braggadocio
    Well its hard to be self-made at that age and have excellent sanity
    its been quite a while we heard of a linda ikeji acquisition

• peter

April 12, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Nawa oo

You sha just want to drag Linda to Davidos drama…Mitsheew

4. just saying

April 12, 2017 at 12:02 pm

I may not be a fan of having kids by different women but one thing I cant take from him is for someone his age he actually takes responsibility for his kids and tries to be in their life best way he can and providing their every need.
    Most guys in their early 20s its their usual bravado to if not even deny the pregnancy, the categorically tell the girl to have an abortion. The one’s that accept they may play daddy role for a year or 2 and then disappear into obscurity.
    I admire the way he fought to have Imade………………. even some men in their 30s wont care to do that especially if the child came from a fling. Last last they will send money.
    I am in no way encouraging or praising his lifestyle. But the most anyone can do married or single is to take responsibility for a child they produced.

5. peter

April 12, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Nawa oo

You sha just want to drag Linda to Davidos drama…Mitsheew

6. patience

April 12, 2017 at 1:26 pm

hmmmm….. warrreeeeever

7. Wale

April 12, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Nigerians and hate. We always wanna focus on the bad things/misgivings about others b4 we focus on their strengths. Dats messed up. The boy said a lotta positive things n not one comment commending him for growing a brain finally. He is becoming wiser and 24 is not a bad start. What a man chooses to do with his stick is his problem. A lotta y’all naija babes do prostitution as a side hustle but aint nobody complaining. N yes, in case u didnt know, get’n paid for self-maintenance on the regular by different men fucking u and paying your bills is the same damn thang as a high class escort, cos either way u are being paid for ur time. N what is the difference btw an escort and a ho, nothing really. One just charges higher than the other.

So let the brotha do as he pleases with his d. Same gals who be complaining still be the same groupies who would wanna test drive his nuts.

*sips his orange juice from the noisy straw and rolls his fish eyeballs* bomboclat

8. Lliki

April 12, 2017 at 2:40 pm

I like the fact that he’s very proud of his heritage.
    I also liked where he said, he can not sing American genre of song better than American artists, neither can American artists sing Nigerian genre of song better.

Davido, just avoid those girls seeking for young boys like you to trap down, if you must indulged in pre marital sex, always use protection. Protectives are cheaper than unwanted child support.

Stay were you are respected and honoured.

9. Yassah

April 13, 2017 at 6:04 am

You are one of my favorite musicians in Nigeria right. I love the way you speak your mind. Keep your head up high sweetheart. For the babies any one that comes and say they have babies for you please DNA testing before supporting them I am a woman I know we can do anything for money lol.