News

Personal Attacks and Insults aimed at Silencing me will not Work – Emir Sanusi

BellaNaija.com

Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II

Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II has said that following his statement that the North-East and North-West regions are the poorest parts of Nigeria, he has faced “a barrage of personal attacks and insults” aimed at silencing him.

According to PUNCH, he made this known at the Inaugural Annual Chibok Girls Lecture to commemorate the third anniversary of the abduction of 276 schoolgirls from Chibok Government Secondary School by Boko Haram terrorists in Borno State.

Sanusi, who was represented by his daughter Shahida said:

Our colleagues and compatriots among the elite do not like statistics. Numbers are disturbing. I recently gave a speech in which I said the North-East and North-West of Nigeria are the poorest parts of the country. This simple statement of fact has generated so much heat, the noise has yet to die down.

The response to this speech has been a barrage of personal attacks and insults aimed at silencing any voice that dare shine the light on the society to which we are saying Bring Back our Girls.

There are those who believe these attacks are aimed at discrediting me personally but even if that is the objective, it will not work. I can only be discredited by what I have done and not by insults and lies on the social media. And in any event, personal criticism has no impact on the issues.

Shahida, while delivering the speech on behalf of her father, said that the monarch is not afraid to give up his throne if it stands in the way of speaking the truth.

TheCable quoted Shahida as saying:

“My father is not afraid of giving up his throne if it stands in the way of speaking the truth. Those who think that my father would keep quiet because he wants to hold on to his throne, I think they don’t know my father,” she said.

I know that he has always wanted to be the emir of Kano but to him, if it comes between what is right, what his conscience tells him and choosing the throne, he would happily give up the throne.

My father has always been a part of one controversy or the other and it’s normal for us. We are not scared anymore.

And honestly, he has been a source of inspiration and pride. He never fails to fight. He fights for progress, liberty, justice and equality. Those who think they know my father should know that he will never be silenced by blackmail and intimidation. He lost his position once as the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and I remember his quote that you can suspend a man but you can never suspend the truth. I know he does not mind being the most unpopular emir so long he speaks the truth,” Shahida was quoted as saying.

Sanusi who is known to be very vocal about his views, had recently criticised Governor Abdulaziz Yari of Zamfara for saying the recent meningitis outbreak in Nigeria was as a result of fornication.

He slammed Northern leaders for being stuck in the 13th Century while other Muslim countries are advancing.

The Emir, in a video message at the event yesterday, also said that those who think he is a problem, have not seen anything yet, as his children are far more “radical”, “progressive”, and “fearless”.

1. Bowl

April 15, 2017 at 11:36 am

All hail Sanusi, the holy sinner. If we don’t know your antecedents!

• Nakoms

April 15, 2017 at 2:11 pm

You are a big fool. State your case against him instead of casting aspersions.

Anyway he knows your type. Hear him……”I can only be discredited by what I have done and not by insults and lies on the social media”

• Fleur

April 15, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Well, the bottom line is no one is without sin. Question is do we continue to ride the wave of sin or do we experience an awakening and channel ourselves towards good? In the latter scenario, the past is literally wiped away.

2. Bowl

April 15, 2017 at 11:38 am

You have suddenly risen Nigeria’s knight in shining armor ! shior!

3. nnenne

April 15, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Sanusi, by the grace of God is a well educated and vocal man . By God”s grace and family placing, also he has assumed many important positions in Nigeria and now, he is the emir of Kano.
    Very accomplished! !!

My take is, we all should lead by example. Talk the talk and walk the walk! Let’s all use, whatever platform we have to SHOW, how things can be done better in our society. Let’s all dare to do things differently from our fore fathers.

He keeps mentioning that the Northern people are the poorest in Nigeria ( contestable).
    If that is correct, have we asked ourselves why?

Is it the civil war, pogrom / genocide, destruction of properties?

Did his people face money devaluation and had to give up all their money in the bank for mere £20?

Has his people ever faced mass murder and destruction of properties every decade with no compensation?

Has his people not controlled the affairs of Nigeria for how many years? ?? Have they not been in good positions to make Nigeria work?

Did the Boko Haram that finally hit his people, not massacre other people before them and render themy homeless ?

If we don’t find out what hit us, chances are that it may happen over and over again.

Let’s begin to tell each other the TRUTH.

I have nothing against the man but our society can not get better when we all keep quiet and sing songs of praise.

Have a happy Easter my people! !

4. GANNY OGUNSHAKIN

April 15, 2017 at 1:37 pm

The truth shall set you free Emir Sanusi. They know you are speaking the truth. Someday, somehow the truth will catch up with those criticizing you for speaking the truth. A word is enough for the wise. I’m just saying.

5. Bowl

April 15, 2017 at 4:14 pm

@Nakom , you dense idiot, what do you know. In any case enjoy only the similitude of sanity you know now.Matters will clear up someday.Ozu

6. Nakoms

April 15, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Even now! Even now!! With the benefit of a second post, what message/statement of fact have you conveyed except innuendoes……….ZILCH!

7. Bowl

April 15, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Nakoms, you are that child – adult who forever keeps bathing himself at the level of his belly. As for this your saint., someday. You don’t deserve my saying more!