News

Another Airline Drama? New Jersey Family Kicked Off a Plane Over a Birthday Cake

BellaNaija.com

JetBlue is the latest airline to be involved in passenger-crew incident and this time, the issue reportedly started with a birthday cake.

Minta Burke and her husband Cameron Burke along with their 2 children were reportedly asked to move the cake from the overhead bin to under a seat, on a flight to Las Vegas, Nevada.

That was when the flight attendants and the family allegedly began arguing over where the cake should be kept.

Law enforcement were eventually brought onto the airplane and the whole thing was recorded.

We were just so happy. Couldn’t wait to get to Las Vegas, and all of a sudden this occurred, and my two children are screaming, crying,” Minta said. “They’re confused not knowing what’s going on, they were traumatized.”

According to the Just Jared, all of the passengers had to deplane and the family’s tickets were refunded. The rest of the passengers were allowed back on the flight.

The family said they intend to file a lawsuit against JetBlue Airline.

Watch the incident below

Photo Credit: PEOPLE

1. Lilo

May 14, 2017 at 8:41 pm

In Wendy’ s voice….if i can’t bring my .25/fl.oz mouth wash and shampoo what makes you think you can bring a damn cake on a plane post 9/11? Chile get them off this plane now…no case here cos I’m sure the lawyers won’t be calling her.

• Random

May 15, 2017 at 2:55 am

Lilo…..I didn’t insult you I simply expressed my genuine opinion about “your comment”. I’m sorry if you felt insulted.

There is such a thing as sensible discretion ( if the family looked like they had an explosive in the cake then many Nigerians who are in a habit of carrying food to travel should be deplaned ) There is also something called conflict management…..in the video you heard the security guard repeatedly say ” you have done nothing wrong”……I’m sure you have carried food onto a plane before…many people have…..at most tell them nicely that the cake needs to go ( I don’t understand why but it’s still better than de planing them )…..if you felt the cake had an explosive and yet it passed through TSA is it the family that should pay for it or TSA? Can’t they recheck the cake? Or just remove it?

Think about it reasonably….this is all drama. No need to traumatize an entire family with kids because of a cake…haba.

And to those who are quick to judge them that they are looking for lawsuit money…..I hope you know that recording events is one of the best ways to prevent similar mishaps and to have an accurate account of what happened. Did they tell you they were going to sue?

I can’t believe Osa even called them retarded….how mean and unnecessary.

2. Random

May 14, 2017 at 11:24 pm

LILO your comment isn’t bright at all and even worse that you’re quoting Wendy. A birthday cake isn’t liquid or gel, it’s a cake! It must’ve passed through the security scanner anyway…..so if they (trained security) didn’t have a problem with it why should the air host/ hostess do?
    Thank God for Uniteds lesson they would’ve been meaner to this family……
    I wonder if the rebooking included taking the cake….it seems more like a dramatic power show to me.

• lilo

May 15, 2017 at 1:24 am

No. I will respond without insulting you. That cake could have explosive in it and may not have been caught by TSA. Putting all your faith in TSA/scanners is not exactly bright.like smackdown said everyone looking for lawsuit theses damn days. Makes no damn sense.
      Toodles!

• Random

May 15, 2017 at 3:13 pm

And to those who are quick to judge them that they are looking for lawsuit money…..I hope you know that recording events is one of the best ways to prevent similar mishaps and to have an accurate account of the event

3. Smackdown

May 15, 2017 at 12:39 am

Everybody looking for lawsuit money. Buy cake when you get to your destination. Problem solved

• Osa

May 15, 2017 at 1:34 am

I wonder o. The family look like retards sef. Just save urself avoidable wahala

• Teller

May 15, 2017 at 4:05 am

@Osa, the family look like retards? I won’t be surprised if it’s anti-blackness worrying you.

You guys have no empathy for others except they are white. It just shows how much dignity and respect you accord yourselves. That’s why you people like managing and suffering and never know your rights.

• Ottawa Queen

May 15, 2017 at 5:36 am

They should buy the cake? Have u considered if it was given to them for free? Like a gift? To travel with the cake of course it meant so much to them. Lol

4. Na wa o

May 15, 2017 at 3:09 am

@OSA retard how????

5. quietconfidence

May 15, 2017 at 4:21 am

@osa, how can you call a family “retards”. Let us be careful of what we type/say. How would you feel if your family was referred to as retards?

6. I'mJustSayn'

May 15, 2017 at 5:01 am

I just want to lock myself up in my apartment and not go anywhere. I’m tired. Seriously. Too much drama everywhere everyday abeg.

7. Passerby

May 15, 2017 at 5:36 am

Exactly Osa that was a very mean and unnecessary comment. What did they do to deserve such an insult? And did they tell you they were going to sue? Just because they’ve recorded the event so they have an accurate account of what transpired? Na wa for people o.

8. Vera

May 15, 2017 at 6:34 am

@Osa you used your hands to type ”the family look like retards”??? Some people are sick but they are yet to realize.Show me your own ”unretarded” family. What is wrong with you?? Most Nigerians are so quick to be vulgar. Like they just refused to evolve. Calling someone retarded, stupid, idiot, mad, crazy is not insulting or abusive it just being vulgar, extremely vulgar and uncouth. Most people especially Nigerians mix up vulgarity and lack of manners for insults or abuse. You should watch yourself whoever you are so that your family both extended and nuclear are not tagged as retards.

• Osa

May 15, 2017 at 7:56 am

E don do. Werin. Ah! Two people have commented and i kept quiet but u must join ur own as u dont have anything else to say about the post. Than hanging around my comment. Meanwhile i didnt mean it in a “sick” manner. Pls abeg

• Tee

May 15, 2017 at 10:19 am

Osa you seem like a really horrible person online. I can only hope you’re pleasant in real life, otherwise it’s sympathy I feel for the people who have to deal with you every day.
      Chai!

9. Nky

May 15, 2017 at 7:58 am

The crew did not have a problem with having the cake on board. The argument was about the location of the cake so I don’t see how this is a security risk.

10. Wunmi

May 15, 2017 at 12:43 pm

@Osa I was going to reply u but mistakenly clicked like on ur comment which made it 5 likes.
    That being said,you don’t mean retard in a ‘sick ‘ way? Tell me another meaning of retard please?
    Cos you are a good example of the word retard.Not in a sick way though….?

• Osa