News

Art Lovers! See the Basquiat Painting sold for $110Million at an Auction

BellaNaija.com

Art lovers! See the Basquiat Painting

Jean-Michel Basquiat’s powerful 1982 painting of a skull was sold for $110.5 million at Sotheby. The painting has become the sixth most expensive work ever sold at auction, according to The New York Times.

He’s now in the same league as Francis Bacon and Pablo Picasso,” said the dealer Jeffrey Deitch, an expert on Basquiat.

The sale of the painting, “Untitled,” made for a thrilling moment at Sotheby’s postwar and contemporary auction as at least four bidders on the phones and in the room sailed past the $60 million level at which the work forged from oil stick and spray paint had been guaranteed to sell by a third party.

Soon after the sustained applause had subsided, Japanese billionaire, founder of Japan large online mall, Zozotown, Yusaku Maezawa revealed himself to be the buyer through a post on his Instagram. “I am happy to announce that I just won this masterpiece,” he said in the post. “When I first encountered this painting, I was struck with so much excitement and gratitude for my love of art. I want to share that experience with as many people as possible.”

Photo Credit: The New York Times

1. Ben

May 20, 2017 at 6:09 am

Art lovers or crazy people? At times I can’t really tell the difference.

• Ottawa Queen

May 21, 2017 at 7:29 pm

I sometimes feel they use jazz to sell these artworks; and it works real well luring people. Cus it’s just not sane for one to spend millions buying jaga-jaga!!!

2. Ben

May 20, 2017 at 6:12 am

$ 110 mill for that??? SMH

3. Klara

May 20, 2017 at 7:21 am

For an Ojuju Calabar painting?

4. unadite

May 20, 2017 at 9:10 am

Always pray to God to show those things that gives you adrenalin, makes you fulfilled and generally happy. You don’t know how much this means to the guy. Mere glancing at it every morning could give the necessary elixir to take on all obligations and stay positive for the day. I love unusual art too…

5. Honestina

May 20, 2017 at 9:13 am

Looks like something my 3yr old nephew scribbled with his fat crayon. Maybe I should ve put it up for sale but here I was thinking it was too scary.
    Seriously, can an art lover educate me on the values/importance of these paintings especially a ugly one like this

6. John

May 20, 2017 at 9:16 am

But I can get Brigadier, the madman who lives in my village market, to paint this for a hell lot cheaper! Wetin dey worry Oyinbo sef?

7. David Green

May 20, 2017 at 2:14 pm

This confirms my suspicions that some people have more money than brains and sense.IF they are that thick,how did they make the money in the first place?.WHO in their right mind would pay £5 for that crap,never mind $110.5 millon.There are saner people in Broadmoor.

8. The Interpreter

May 20, 2017 at 5:29 pm

When I see paintings like this being sold at absurd amounts, I feel insulted as an artist. Might as well join the bandwagon and make up some effortless doodle, by scraping empty pots of paint and washing my brushes on canvas. Afterwards proceed to make up some ridiculous story/inspiration behind the masterpiece.