News

#NepaWahala is Trending on Twitter NG! See Hilarious Tweets

BellaNaija.com

The number one trending hashtag on Twitter NG right now is #NepaWahala.

In case you didn’t know, NEPA stands for Never Expect Power Again National Electric Power Authority, the defunct power generation and distribution body in Nigeria. In 2005, it was renamed to PHCN which stands for Please Hold a Candle Now Power Holding Company of Nigeria.

In 2013, PHCN ceased to exist after its assets were sold to private companies. The Nigerian Electricity Regulation Commission (NERC) continued to carry out the role of regulation of the new power companies.

PHCN was divided into several distribution and generation companies, but two things remained the same, the name NEPA and… no light!

Twitter users in Nigeria are sharing their experiences. Sit back, grab your guguru and zobo, and enjoy!

This will probably continue till after midnight (WAT) so keep refreshing for more! #TGIF!

Editor’s Note: This post has been updated to properly relay some information in paragraph three.

1. Mohammad

May 19, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Seize to exist! ? Tisha Oloyinbo BN! O ma ga fun yin o!

2. survivor

May 19, 2017 at 11:27 pm

this Favour guy issa Twitter comedian sha,,u keep imagining how he does those stuvs

3. O_o

May 20, 2017 at 12:04 am

I hate to say this but please get your facts right or don’t state them at all! NERC is a regulatory body, was regulating the old PHCN and the entire electricity sector and IS still regulating the now- private firms (distribution and generation). The transmission is still government owned; as TCN… PHCN was a government-owned monopoly, which got unbundled. PHCN didn’t transition to NERC; NERC has been in existence since…This blunder is just like stating the defunct NITEL became replaced by the NCC (est. 1982).

• Manny

May 20, 2017 at 12:17 am

This your long explanation will not bring light abeg

• funmilola

May 20, 2017 at 12:24 am

Whatever!
      All of them na NEPA, and there’s no light…..dazzal!

• Miss_Flygerian

May 20, 2017 at 4:43 am

This one that you even had the energy to type this ogonogo akuko, it’s as if NEPA is giving you steady light in your area. Because person wey never see light for 6 months doesn’t care about the history of NEPA/PHCN. All that matters is steady light.

• Mr.A

May 20, 2017 at 7:18 am

Lol @manny. But the truth is our ( i.e the general public) lack of knowledge on who does what, issa problem, and a huge one at that. How do we know who to hold responsible? Everything is not the presidents fault! And to think that a news platform, (or maybe just the writer of this report) doesn’t know as a journalist or quasi-journalist is pathetic.

• Bimbum

May 20, 2017 at 11:25 am

I no understand all d grammar. Kuku ki me.

4. nnenne

May 20, 2017 at 12:09 am

No worries my peeps. APC, magic party, got you!
    For once, Naija got “CHANGE”
    Enoy! !!

5. A Real Nigerian

May 20, 2017 at 2:15 am

“#NepaWahala is Trending on Twitter NG! See Hilarious Tweets”
    Where is this hilarity you speak of?
    I see nothing but hollow, idiotic tweets trying hard to be funny but failing completely. Sad.

• Darius

May 20, 2017 at 5:37 am

@A Real Nigerian, there is a dangling modifier somewhere in your sentence: “…hollow, idiotic tweets trying to be funny…” Can ‘a tweet’ try to be funny or can ‘ someone who tweets’ try to be funny?

You can’t just come here everyday and attack people for expressing their opinions and at the same time torment our eyes with your grammatical constructions. I know you like to think you have a good command of English. Apku girl!

• Pamela

May 20, 2017 at 9:07 am

You must be depressed to not find any of these funny. Whatever you’re going through, Jesus can handle it. Pele

6. The Bull

May 20, 2017 at 3:56 am

While things like constant light are non issues in many countries, what year do you think Nigeria will have constant power. My prediction is 2098.

7. Spunky

May 20, 2017 at 11:55 am

It was on weekend and I just returned from a trip. Turned out I was blacked out. Thing is, my landlord had light and it was consistent all through the weekend. O boi! That was when I knew the full definition of envy. Each time I was told ” Kpele” Monday go soon come, I felt my chest doing me somehow…I can relate to the tweets.

8. B

May 20, 2017 at 3:27 pm

It’s practically cheaper to live abroad than Nigeria. Abroad you get what you pay for and your income covers it. But here it’s the opposite.

9. Uberhaute looks