Scoop

I lost opportunities because of two experiences in my life but God came through – Toke Makinwa

BellaNaija.com

Toke Makinwa

In an Instagram post on Wednesday, multimedia personality Toke Makinwa narrated how two experiences cost her some opportunities in her career.

She went on to encourage people to keep fighting for their dreams until it is achieved as, according to her, she’s gotten better opportunities. She wrote:

When God is involved, it can never be for less. In my life I have seen him come thru so many times I’ll be selfish if I keep it to myself. I remember when we started the OnBecoming tour, we approached a number of companies for sponsorship and one particular incident left me sooo broken. We had been talking back and forth and all was looking exciting till the news of the legal suit hit the press. I remember I was in Ghana and the night before OnBecominginGhana was amazing. I woke up in such high spirit till the news filtered the air and then I got that call, our “potential” had pulled out. I read that text over and over again in tears, they pulled out because they didn’t want to be thrown in the middle of it all (who can blame them) boy was I hurt, I was broken. I had put so much into this project and prayed so hard yet here I was disappointed, I felt I wasn’t good enough, I couldn’t pray and then it hit me, this has happened before, I remember when the news of my marriage hit the press I was in the middle of signing a 20million Naira deal, all was good to go till news broke and it seemed like what everyone was talking about. They pulled out. It was bad timing. I remember how I held the toilet bowl all night, I have never felt that kind of pain in my life. I have worked hard, prayed hard and God knows I needed that money. My life had changed overnight, I was trying to hold on to everything and it seemed like everything was working against me but God came thru, he provided much more than that deal and I have never had to look back to think “if only” I had that money, he kept blessing me. In both cases God over compensated me? SA is looking really good ?, I can’t wait to share who our sponsor for the OnBecominginSA is, they are not just flying me to SA, my entire team is coming to and everything is paid for in full. Why do I share this you may ask? Perhaps you woke up this morning feeling defeated, you are about to stop trying, you’re so sure your idea sucks and no one will support you, hold on. You are closer than you know,. God has bigger and better plans for you, he knows you’ve cried all night, he knows what this means to you, he will come thru even better ❤️

Photo Credit: Instagram – @tokemakinwa

1. mystery

May 24, 2017 at 4:36 pm

amen toke…i draw strength from GOD..the words you speak.you dont know how many hearts you minister to,through those words.i cried myself to sleep last night.wondering if i had made a mistake.and then i stumbled on your instagram post and boy you spoke to me…i know it all seems bleak right now,im going to come out stronger ..i have a story to tell someday..i’m not losing hope never ever.

2. Darius

May 24, 2017 at 4:42 pm

“…God knows I needed that money…”

God knows we all need money! Why HE chooses to bless those who are undeserving, whilst HIS blessings elude those who are truly deserving, and living in dire straits, is something I can’t understand.

Don’t dwell too much on the past! God has blessed you beyond measure! Appreciate him and enjoy the good life!

• A Real Nigerian

May 24, 2017 at 5:10 pm

What is your business if she dwells on the past? Mumu.

• Darius

May 24, 2017 at 5:39 pm

@A Real Nigerian, nobody missed you while you were away. We all remembered to forget you! You didn’t comment for 2, 3 days because you wanted us to miss you. When you realized nobody missed you, you decided to come back from your self-imposed exile. I understand your anger! Lolzzzzzzzzzzzz…..abgaya!

• Nkechi

May 24, 2017 at 7:39 pm

God is faithful and life is deep. Man looks at the physical appearance. God sees the heart. Be careful how you accuse God. There is so much to say and little time to express. Remember the fact that a prayerful but lazy Christian won’t get much; Remember some people are currently beingblinded by the devil, their money isn’t from God and they know it, if you ate not Spirit filled, you will assume that received from God and start to accuse him again of blessing the.; some nice people are under a curse, yes, a curse. Curses are real, nothing spooky about it .Thank God some people have revelation regarding the purpose of the living Jesus Christ our Lord, they would still be laboring under the curse Noah inflicted on the black race.

3. i must talk

May 24, 2017 at 4:53 pm

I just love this lady! Toke keep soaring, keep winning, Grace is yours ((((((((((Hugs))))))))

• A Real Nigerian

May 24, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Yaasssas!!!

4. thatafricanchic

May 24, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Why do I feel like this was another subtle ‘Maje’ bashing. Of course she wants us to know how he hurt her again. She must have been so used to disappointments at her age and even in her career. Why exaggerate her reactions to this particular one.

• A Real Nigerian

May 24, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Keep quiet and don’t say anything bad about our Queen.

• Ello Bae

May 25, 2017 at 12:19 am

You need Jesus!

• kwinny

May 25, 2017 at 11:15 am

abeg, rest!!!

5. blackbeatle

May 24, 2017 at 4:57 pm

all two experiences connected to that same man…..is there no end lady?? kai ..

• A Real Nigerian

May 24, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Shut up.

6. Temi

May 24, 2017 at 5:03 pm

I like how Toke likes to keep talking when everything g has been said and their is nothing left to say. Madam, when do you offficially move one? Funny how your victory stories are always about money and material things…vain bland empty soul!

• sandra

May 25, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Temi God bless you! Her blessings are first class shoes and bags! Empty soul indeed! this lady adds zero value to anyone! Toke do u have an idea of what other women even have within the industry ? 1 million times more bags and shoes than you! but oh! wait they are original shoes and bags! unlike yours lady! you are not a happy person sweetie..u need to search deep inside of u and change your fake ways! look at Bolinto? Dolapo, and co..they have what u have but hv no need to flaunt material things.

• liberal

June 2, 2017 at 8:24 pm

@temi you have no right to call someone an empty soul. that’s not nice. let every word that proceeds from your mouth edify the listener

7. simon

May 24, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Read your comment Darius. Its not that God does not bless those who deserve it truly no, its the handwork of the devil that makes this happen that is why undeserving ones hijack the blessing and use God as an excuse to cover up their evil acts. We need to open up our eyes and stop all this people once and for all.

8. Bia

May 24, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Toksie can do no wrong in my eyes. Go baby girl.

9. love tokstarr

May 24, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Wow! I eat my negative comments I made about this lady… I got an exclusive about that ayida guy, he was really mean to her…apparently this lady fell hopelessly in love with him and he took so much advantage of it…I don’t know if anybody has loved to that degree of ‘insanity’ (you lose yourself in it; you can actually go against the world for the person) that’s how much she loved him…it was obvioulsy not the same for him but she was to dazzled to notice which is absolutely normal if you love a person like that… toke, I know you can be irritatingly frivolous and superfluously loquacious but after understanding what you went through I think if that’s your way of dealing with what life threw at you then so be it…I love you now, you are strong and you are trying to make a good career for yourself…goodluck with it…I wish you find true love and be happy…most people who judge you have probably never experienced fairytale (la la) love…I don’t want to sha…lol because it makes you a mess (the person does no wrong in your eyes and you are always pushed to forgive the unforgiveable things the person does)…totally pledge my support as from now…xoxo

10. A Real Nigerian

May 24, 2017 at 5:10 pm

WHAT A WONDERDUL WOMAN!!
    GO TOKE!

• ITK

May 24, 2017 at 5:53 pm

ARN you are beyond razz. Ya melesine finnish? Who did you tell?

11. Anon

May 24, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Oprah and Joyce Meyer can talk about sexual abuse that happened 50 years ago and be inspirational, Efe can talk about his poverty and win 25 million, Jonathan can talk about not wearing shoes and win a presidential election, but Toke can not reference her divorce if not Bellanaija commenters will combust with their hatred

• Biker Chic

May 24, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Well said. Don’t mind haters. These are the people that enable the culture of silence.

• MamaPut

May 25, 2017 at 10:21 am

Do you realize the different scenarios are totally different from Toke’s??? Like who abused her? na she pursue the guy o? pls dont forget the no of times she pushed for marriage too

• kwinny

May 25, 2017 at 11:16 am

I wonder oh!!!

12. lauren

May 24, 2017 at 5:49 pm

God this God that , yet they were fornicating for 11 yrs ( and still is) –

“Opps ma bad. ”

“”Only God can judge you”” huh???

Weak ass used and over used Excuse

You think God is (excuse my language) a fool and you are smarter abi, Toke

#HoePosesWithBibilcalQuotes

The people i cant stand is folks like Toke who want to turn motivational speakers or preach. Abeg sit down back there. Pior Pior Pior

• Lol

May 24, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Motivational hustler in a country where the only currency that matters is money!

• Bee

May 24, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Are you without sin?

• Hypocrite

May 24, 2017 at 6:28 pm

And you think you’re any better with all the swear words? Na the same juggernaut you go get so please waka.

• Dee

May 24, 2017 at 7:02 pm

100 likes for this. Hypocrites everywhere

• kwinny

May 25, 2017 at 11:18 am

hello, you who is without sin, how is life?

• Kbear

May 25, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Oshey Judge Judy. Clap for yourself! Has God put her judgement in your hands???You disgust me.

13. OA

May 24, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Timely! I was listening to Daddy G.O.’s Day 2 ( 2017 Israel Pilgrimage) Morning Session sermon on my way to work this morning and he emphasized the importance of remembering and acknowledging God’s mercies from the past because all they do is prepare us for upcoming testimonies. I think it’s important to always try to walk away with the gist of a message. The key is have we gained an important lesson regardless of form or supposed intent? Whether Maje or no Maje oh, someone would read this message today and be so encouraged.

14. fortherightsofmen

May 24, 2017 at 6:56 pm

The problem I have with (Nigerian) women is that they often allow themselves to be validated by men – almost all of the time. Toke’s book ‘On Becoming’ is all about a man and what he did to her. My goodness, if my younger sister is going to write about her version of ‘On Becoming’ I would prefer she writes about the challenges that she has gone through in life, what she did to surmount those challenges and the accomplishments she attained as a result. That will really inspire me from a woman ‘On Becoming’ and not a book ‘On Becoming’ that is about a man. Toke has achieved fame (mainly in Nigeria and among Nigerians in diaspora and to an extent among people of black origin abroad) through her craft and hardwork – coming from almost nothing or nobody to being something of an enigma and somebody in the media and entertainment world (mainly in Nigeria). When I saw the title of her book ‘On Becoming’ I thought this lady is going to inspire a lot of young ladies how to go about surmounting the challenges towards reaching for the stars – for that is what Toke has become. But instead the book was all about a man. Wao! Her ex-husband really has a hold on her. It appears that he still does going by her recent post. Just terrible. I just couldn’t bring myself to finish reading your book, even granted that you made money. But money is fleeting. Inspiration is not. Now for me, what was worse about Toke’s ‘On Becoming’ is not so much the subject of the book but the response from Nigerian ladies anywhere in the world. I say so because I am yet to meet a lady or read a comment from a lady that says ‘Toke this book should be about how you rose up the ladder to becoming the ‘phenomenon’ that you now are. For you have got a lot to give and inspire other people than telling the world about your ex-husband.’ It is even more shocking to me that all the comments from the ladies (those educated, uneducated, professional, not professional, living abroad, never traveled abroad, exposed, not exposed, religious, not religious, divorced, single, married, introvert, extrovert) are arguments for or against whether it was right for her to publish her breakup into a book. No single lady has said, ‘Toke, am going to pass. When you know what led to you Becoming Toke that is not focused on a man’s infidelity to you, write a book about that and I will buy.’ It would appear to me that to many a woman anything and perhaps everything about a man written by a woman is a very catchy subject and draws a lot of reaction from the womenfolk. That is silly, I think. As a man, I (speaking for myself), we wouldn’t care less if a man wrote about a woman that broke his heart, killed his mother or stabbed him or stole his money or ran away with another man. So bloody what (on the last part)? Who really cares? Women and how they treat men do not validate us and we don’t dwell on how we have been treated by our girlfriends, wives, ex-wives etc. Except that man is a sissy. So given that women are always in complete denial that men do not validate women, especially academics and professional women readily holds this view, it this brings me to my first point: as Toke is a (not ‘the’) barometer of a young Nigerian women in today’s world, her book and the quantum of reactions to it from women has proved that men do validate (Nigerian) women. QED. But as a man, I bet many will disagree with me because, in part, most women are not true to themselves. Toke, please can you write about ‘On becoming Makinwa?’ I will buy that book

15. @ilyrics

May 24, 2017 at 7:17 pm

How Inspiring

16. me

May 24, 2017 at 7:42 pm

@Lauren, Tell that to Biblical Rahab who is the great grand mother of David. (Matt: 1 v 5) #HoePosesWithBibilcalQuotes – I bet King David will be laughing out loud from the tomb.
    So when next you recite the Psalms, Proverbs remember it was written by a descendant of a hoe.

• Anne

May 24, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Don’t get things wrong. Rehab changed her lifestyle and chose to be part of God’s people. David realized his mistakes and still got punished but God showed him mercy. Therefore, God did not stamp their wrong deeds. He showas mercy which you’ll want Him to show you when you are wrong also.

• Kbear

May 25, 2017 at 7:29 pm

ah ma da fun eh keh.

17. Ej

May 24, 2017 at 7:43 pm

I think TM is engaged

18. Ethio

May 24, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Me thinks she needs to get over her FAILED marriage and STFU!, always blabbing about money and travelling mtcheeeeew. @realnigerian you either need an inhaler or a dildo, poor thing!

19. Marie Antoinette

May 24, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Toke enough already!
    You are getting cash from Amaechi and you are here forming motivational speaker…how about you try living right before preaching. Debola did you a big one. I just hope that when Amaechi eventually goes down you won’t be dragged along with him.

• Ethio

May 24, 2017 at 11:18 pm

@mariea antoniette, Yeparipa! Serve it as e dey hot so!

• kwinny

May 25, 2017 at 11:20 am

Amaechi ke??? Hian! Nothing I won’t hear

• Anon

May 25, 2017 at 2:15 pm

I am surprised the Amaechi comment is still here.

20. Rose

May 24, 2017 at 11:08 pm

This chick always talking about God this God that but what has she done with all these supposed blessings from God? All she does is pose in her latest designer purchase or in her business class seat, yawn. Go do something worthwhile. SMH

• na wa

May 25, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Wait, and you are sure she hasnt done anything with her blessings except to show off on SM??? Really?

21. mr tee

May 25, 2017 at 7:58 am

I was inspired by her post. Don’t care about who she was or is. Read thru the comment and some nearly tore my heart. Hu appointed ya as judges over your fellow men.

• Just Being Real

May 25, 2017 at 5:04 pm

stfu…. all you vain people be screaming “judge not” when people are stating facts… pass abeg..

22. truth

May 25, 2017 at 9:36 am

enof Toke! enjoy whatever it is u r enjoying & stop making everything public! tired of ur so many epistles,u no be apostle Paul biko

23. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

May 25, 2017 at 9:56 am

@Anon May 24, 2017 at 5 : 49pm;

Oprah and Joyce Meyer are older women, many people respect older women

Nigerian men like Efe

Obviously, Jonathan was the President of Nigeria at some point

Maje did not want her to write the book (memoir), it was a Bella Naija: Headline

Is Ifeyinwa against Toke Makinwa? No

24. MamaPut

May 25, 2017 at 10:18 am

Why does this aunty’s life revolve around Maje?? One day sha, Maje will open his mouth and say everything you also did wrong in the marriage. And BN well done for putting Maje Ayinda under the tag…continue spinning rubbish.

25. kwinny

May 25, 2017 at 11:29 am

This was actually encouraging but some people don’t like to see one soaring happily. they would always like to see you suffer in the name of “paying for your sins”. they are somewhere angry, “why is she happy? why is she looking good? why does she have money? why is she not helping the poor?” all (or some) of the things they actually want, she has but instead of either being happy they’d rather see her sad. LOL gtfoh!! It’s okay not to like her but don’t hate on her because of the things she’s got or is doing. Stop judging and fix ya face. Malice/jealousy/ whatever it is don’t look good on you. Btw, let me ask, with your 50 naira, who did you give 10 naira to? Hilarious bunch. Toke, do your thing jare. Be grateful to God for your wealth and be happy!

26. Tosin

May 25, 2017 at 11:41 am

from the picture to the writing, lol what’s all this?

27. Don't compare!

May 25, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Nah sis don’t go there!
    Unfortunately Oprah and Joyce Meyer were both sexually mollested which was NO fault of theirs.

Toke DECIDED to remain in a relationship and was emotionally assaulted by her ex even after he showed his true colours to her.

THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE!

That said, I admire Toke’s courage and tenacity in how she’s taking control of her life and WINNING!

28. Miss Anoni Moss

May 25, 2017 at 9:46 pm

This chick be trying hard to be the Kim Kardashian/Bonang Matheba of Nigeria I respect your hustle, anything for the fame and benjamins I SEE YOU GIRL!