Music

#Trending: Social Media Divided over Falz’ Interview

BellaNaija.com

Nigerian comedian, actor and rapper Folarin Falana popularly known as Falz in an interview with Hip TV spoke about the use of music to promote and glorify internet fraud in Nigeria as well as the adverse effects it has on the society.

However the video has gone viral with a lot of people praising him for stating the facts about the ugly trend. Another set of people feel he is referring to his colleague 9ice‘s recent track “Living Things“. In case you have not seen the video, you can watch it here.

See tweets below:

BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' InterviewBellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview BellaNaija - #Trending: Social Media divided over Falz' Interview

1. Bennie

June 23, 2017 at 11:39 am

Honestly, am just tired. So we should do what celebrate crime now????And then we wonder, when we step out of the shores of Nigeria and claim you are Nigerian, why people look at us funny??? SMH!

2. Davido's Banana

June 23, 2017 at 11:51 am

Yahoo or no yahoo, a thief is a thief… These musicians are polluting the innocent minds of people everywhere

3. King J

June 23, 2017 at 12:05 pm

My dear, it is crazy… I live and work abroad and my employer needs me like crazy as I bring a lot of value…but damn, as I am Nigerian, that trust issue sits hanging over my head like a pendulum…

Sometimes, I am the last to hear about supposedly confidential things or I just dont get in the loop at all.

Reason is… all these dirty things they hear about nigeria is just enough to have trust issues.

Ou r people really need to change.

Our mind; body and soul is just corrupt..

• OGOOOOO

June 23, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Imagine, yet the youth don’t get it that we are harming ourselves the more by celebrating and promoting the wrong things. We fault the government on everything, so many lives destroyed through this credit card fraud years of hard earned labour gone and we say its smart working??? It just amazing that a veteran in Music who was contesting for a seat in 2015 election can come out and sing” KI SHA TI LOWO OLE LO BA OMO JE WIRE WIRE”.

• Sherlie Holmes

June 23, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Dang that really sucks that it has that kind of impact on you at work! Wow!

4. Amaa

June 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm

First 9ice obviously is going to do well with this controversy that said . Music is an art ,in the past music was used to address societal issues be it hip hop, country even our traditional folk songs told stories and preserved our culture. I keep saying it Nigerian musicians are lazy and lack creativity. There is so much inspiration all around the country all you need is a song writer to put it into stanza and chorus. Fela , Tupac they all used their arts to tell stories . So please spare me the story of sex sells because it doesn’t in our society if not people like Omawumi and waje won’t make money. Tuface is an example of an artist who evolved into a story teller. So my people Falz talk true.

5. Olori

June 23, 2017 at 12:36 pm

I can’t believe the last four tweets. People still accept poverty as a valid reason to engage in crime??!! Oh my Lord. This Nigerian development thing is really a dream because a large number of the population is bonkers. No iota of integrity. No dignity. Tufia kwa. Stupidity and shallow mindedness at its very peak. That Pablo Ayodeji and the rest of his fellow comrades that are dragging Falz need to be sent to Syria and North Korea. Rubbish.

6. Seriously

June 23, 2017 at 12:46 pm

What I’m trying to understand is the backlash for what Falz said.

7. Symbee

June 23, 2017 at 1:05 pm

This shouldn’t come as a surprise though, considering some (disapoingting that they are mostly youths) are advocating for a self-confessed criminal’s release

8. Symbee

June 23, 2017 at 1:06 pm

disappointing *

9. Bad

June 23, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I remember when olu maintain’s yahooze was a hit

10. Coly

June 23, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Let us stop being hypocrite about YAHOO and all it represents, 60 to 70% of Nigeria music industry is being funded by yahoo… besides the music industry, Nigeria as a country is partly been funded with proceeds from yahoo . Thanks to yahoo money the country would was sunk greatly into recession but the money from yahoo helped cushion that significantly..( ask your bank , ISPs and a shop owner on your street) .High percentage of graduates from our high institutions are into yahoo because there is no job for them..
    One way or the other we are all part of the yahoo syndicate, it is either a member of your family is into yahoo or a yahoo boy is your best customer.
    The problem is the Government that cares less for its citizens.

11. Nene

June 23, 2017 at 3:43 pm

The sad thing is this country was built from proceeds from prostitution, armed robbery, fraud (419), oil money and drug money. Most shops for rent are empty, no one will reduce rent (they don’t care because they have stashed some money using empty buildingsas a front anyway), some shops with no signs of sales have owners buying expensive items up and down.

12. RealNigerian

June 23, 2017 at 3:54 pm

I shake my head seriously for Nigeria. My take on this nonsense:

Funmi Iyanda, please act your age and get a life. Yesterday I read about you wanting to date younger men (because men your age “stink” – your words not mine)today you are all up on 9ice’s ass. Please get a life. Your reputation is dwindling. I am losing respect for you…. And fast.

That being said – please reason with me here everyone. Are we cursed as a nation? Please this is a valid question that we need to address with all seriousness. Everything Nigerian’s touch turns to Sh*t. as in seriously! There is this EPIC consulting job in the USA that Nigerians have turned to total crap by faking their resume, using fake names to work and knowing absolutely nothing about EPIC. The example goes on and on and on…. We yahoo all over the place and it seems to be celebrated and justified by majority of the country. I am tired of this mess. Are we the only ones in poverty?! Go to other African countries and see poverty in it’s rawest form! Those people are contented and you know what God will reward them eventually (believe it or not).

People say the government is the problem in Nigeria, but I say the government is a reflection of the people.

Keep up the nonsense, continue! Continue! Later you will all be looking for asylum outside the country.

13. Eze

June 24, 2017 at 5:08 pm

People are just crazy!!…how can they be condemning falz for speaking the truth…this yahoo yahoo thing is a big deal oo…I am in ss3 and so many of my class mates are turning in yahoo boys and I look at them and think ,”how can u b so heartless as to scam people of their hard earned money…how would u feel if after working so hard to make a living,somebody just comes and steals it?’….Nigerians b always complaining of how corrupt our leaders are but we are becoming more and more like them everyday….we are the reason this country keeps getting worse

14. Eze

June 24, 2017 at 5:16 pm

the one that is even driving me crazy is the “free Evans” thing….I personally know some people Evans kidnapped…and firsthand,I witnessed the tremendous pain these peoples families went through…I know a family that Evans kidnapped the matriarch and demanded a jaw dropping sum and after these people borrowed the money and paid Evans…Evans and his crew dumped the mans dead body by the roadside..(it also happened to another family i know,it was an 18 year old boy they killed)…and this is the kind of man that Nigerians want the police to set free…my eyes bleed for this country

15. Jo

June 25, 2017 at 8:19 am

Anyone supporting Yahoo needs to get his/her brains checked. The excuse of ‘doing Yahoo because there’s no job’ is a cliche´. It’s just like supporting kidnapping because there’s no job. This shouldn’t even be a debate, it’s as clear as daylight. If a knife is used to cut grass, it’s still a knife and not a cutlass. Scamming people is wrong, whatever your reasons for it. For those not aware, it is badly tainting the already bad image of this failed country.

We’re seeing a sad paradigm shift. If things like scamming people isn’t considered a crime anymore (because of one flimsy excuse or another), then only God knows what the future holds.