Career

Ayo Al: 5 Common Social Media Marketing Errors For Business Owners

Business seems to be the real deal these days. Almost every one you come in contact with owns a business – from clothes to food, to agriculture, to cosmetics. Everyone wants to get their hands into something. Social media, has in recent times, become a tool for sales; but, while some people use it to its fullest advantage, others haven’t gotten the hang of it yet.

As an entrepreneur/business owner, you have to realise that you aren’t the only marketer in town. There are a billion others out there, so how you make your brand different and drive clients your way should be considered. Asides sellers on social media, there are business owners who have shops, easily accessible ones that one can walk into and buy stuff, so the question is: why should I trust my money into the hands of a stranger? Especially when I do not know the quality of goods I’ll be getting, or if the individual is a fraud.

Today, I’ll be discussing some errors which really dents businesses. You wonder why you aren’t making as much sales as you like? Then maybe your answer might be here.

Error #1: Your Instagram page is PRIVATE!
A while ago, a friend of mine posted a picture and gave credit to an online store for making her dress. I liked the dress and was interested in making one too, so I clicked on the tagged name only for me to see that the page was private. This doesn’t in anyway show seriousness as a business owner. Your page should only be private when everything on your page is about your personal life and not business. But telling a potential client that they have to follow your page before they can do business with you just doesn’t cut it. Let them follow you if they find your services faultless. Dear business owner, leave your page accessible to potential customers.

Error #2: You have the “No DMS, No messages, just calls!” on your bio
This is another error business owners on social media make. If you really love sales, I think you would open up every avenue for your clients to reach you and your services. What makes your business so special that you can’t be “DMd?” Why can’t you receive WhatsApp messages regarding details of your business? Please always put your customers first.

Error #3: Replying messages/inquires late
Business requires time and commitment and if you aren’t ready to put that into yours, then maybe business isn’t for you. I remember when I started my business, I needed carrier bags which would have my logo on it to be used in delivering my goods. I searched the ‘gram and found a few Instagram pages which were into that. I called, messaged almost ten people, but I either did not get a feedback or I was told my call would be returned. One person actually returned my call two days later and called me so many times over the next week, I was forced to block the line. If you cannot reply messages or answer calls immediately, please do as soon as possible and apologise for any inconveniences first. This shows you are a person of integrity and your business can be trusted.

Error #4: Posting poorly taken photos
This one can be an instant turn off. Most people who buy things on social media do so because they fell in love with the images posted. As a business owner who wants more sale, pay particular attention to the quality of your pictures. I do not think that I will purchase anything from a store whose pictures are taken in poorly lit places and on dirty platforms. Excellent picture quality says a lot about you and your business. They help to catch the attention of potential buyers. It is now left to you to retain this interest and ensure they close the deal.

Error #5: Not replying comments under the post
Several times, I see comments like “how do I get this? How do I order? Where are you based?” under posts and the strange thing is that these comments get no replies. Yes, I’m the first to admit that some customers can be exasperating. They want the same thing said over and over again, but that’s why as a business owner, you cannot excel without great patience skills. Ensure you reply comments underneath your posts. This shows that you have your customers in mind and that you are passionate about your business.

If you liked reading this, then look out for the next part. Till then, keep at it and sooner than you think, the world will tell your success story!

Photo Credit: Mujib Waziri | Dreamstime

An avid reader and writer, Ayo Al hopes particularly to refract the ills in the society through her writings. A professional blogger, she is available for content writing, freelance writing and book reviews. She is also a business woman, fashion enthusiast and a dealer of watches. She can be reached via mail- [email protected] Check out her instagram: @thatsaucywriter

1. courage

July 20, 2017 at 8:09 am

spot on! i never understand private on a business page

2. Sholafunmi

July 20, 2017 at 9:33 am

This write up is an eye opener. Thanks

3. Ephi

July 20, 2017 at 9:50 am

Not providing a website when you advertise your collection on BN. Or even not having a functional website in the first place.

4. Victor Adegoke

July 20, 2017 at 10:44 am

Spot on.

5. Damola

July 20, 2017 at 10:49 am

Just when I needed to read this. I am a lover of Ijebu garri too.

6. Poseidon

July 20, 2017 at 10:52 am

I can never understand why business owners refuse to reply comments, as if they are doing the buyer a favour. Better learn!

7. Bukunolami

July 20, 2017 at 11:05 am

Educative. It came just at the right time.

8. Pippy

July 20, 2017 at 11:20 am

Or:

“DM for prices”

Biko if you have no website and you sell through Instagram, why put me through the wahala of DM-ing you to know whether your item makes commercial sense to me or not?

If you can’t include your price in your caption, then come and be going.

• The gram business owner

July 20, 2017 at 12:47 pm

I will tell you why people don’t put prices on Instagram. It’s to avoid nonsense yeye comments. At least on a website if you see the prices, you can hiss and go away if you can’t afford it buuuuuuuuuuut on Instagram, they leave nasty comments. People who can’t buy bathroom slippers, will be trashing your product like you forced them to buy it. One person makes a nasty comment and the rest come crawling out of the wood work and before you know it your intention behind marketing your product flies out of the window and degenerated into free for all market fight. Nigerians have no chill.

My sister and I run a business via Instagram and when we stopped putting prices on our posts our sales went UP!!!! I’m not joking. There was less drama on our page, we had the time to directly address our customers and respond to comments. We weren’t wasting time playing referee or deleting and blocking people.

Nigerians don’t understand the waka pass policy. It’s okay if you can’t afford it. Don’t rubbish someone’s else’s business and drive away their customers. Those who really want your products will send you a DM. If you aren’t interested or can’t be bothered to send the DM. It’s okay. You weren’t our customer in the first place. We have done this for two years and we thank God, business is doing well.

Even Bella naija that you are commenting on doesn’t have a page where they advertise their ad prices. You have to send them an email. If you really want to advertise on BN you will send that email. So leave IG business owners to do what works for them. You can be going

9. elma

July 20, 2017 at 11:25 am

i run an online business on instagram and i must admit, some customers can really test your patience. no matter how you indicate the size and price of the item, someone will still ask you the same details youve listed right there. as for those pages who refuse to write the price of the items on their pages….humph. it makes no sense to me. i just dont follow them at all.

10. IG @affordable_luxury001

July 20, 2017 at 2:29 pm

we reply our messages right on time @affordable_luxury001(IG)

11. Bridget

July 20, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Fantastic write up.One company that ticks all ur boxes is Beracah Marbles, Abeokuta. They meet all ur point plus more. Babs keep the good work and more grease to ur elbows