Scoop

“The weapons of our warfare are not carnal” – Bovi on hiding Pregnancy

BellaNaija.com

BellaNaija - "The weapons of our warfare are not carnal" - Bovi on hiding Pregnancy

Nigerian comedian Bovi has weighed in on the trending discussion of why people feel the need to hide their delivery date from others due to spiritual reasons. Media girl Bolanle Olukanni has tweeted about her American friends who announce the due date of their pregnancy and wondered why Africans especially feel the need to hide not only their delivery date but even the pregnancy itself.

Speaking via his Twitter account, Bovi reiterated that only God protects a child and fighting a spiritual battle with physical means is a foolhardy course.

Read his tweets below:

Photo Credit: Instagram – @officialbovi

1. Oma

July 13, 2017 at 12:31 am

Lmao..Mark of the beast ke? lol. I think we should be more conscious of the spiritual more than we are to the physical

2. californiabawlar

July 13, 2017 at 3:08 am

Dang @ blood of Jesus! This is one of the reasons I don’t touch pregnant women or babies. In fact little children sef. We have such a paranoid culture and I’m very sensitive… I don’t know how someone will look at me and imply that I’m a witch. It’ll hurt me to my soul. Most people just end up thinking I’m a cold person but shrugs! I made an exception for my bff and went to be with her after childbirth… I could actually feel her mums suspicious stares on a few occasions.

3. tunmi

July 13, 2017 at 4:46 am

That word carnal is just so weird.

I’m glad we’re talking about this!!! Hopefully in the next 5 years we can put aside our superstitions and not have to hide pregnancies

4. MyCupOfTea

July 13, 2017 at 5:00 am

Everyone is diff. For me it’s stress free pregnancy when I keep it within the closest family. No phone calls or text or someone somewhere worrying or stressing

• le coco

July 13, 2017 at 5:53 am

I agree.. For me I cldnt be bothered of people know .. I just want it stress free.. I don’t need people asking upandan when I’m due..cus t’as How they will have their own calender nd be ticking of the days..

• Abk

July 13, 2017 at 11:17 am

In my early 20s, I’m not married or pregnant. People who I know who’re or were pregnant, some are open, some are private. That being said, it’s not a Nigerian thing. I live in Canada and I grew up with Dutch, American, Chilean and Canadian people and I can tell you it’s not a Nigerian thing. Some Doctors even advise not to share with people besides close family and few close friends until you’re 5 months in it. I know someone who hid her pregnancy (not Nigerian) from the public, it wasn’t after she had two kids that she told people the main reason. She said her very first pregnancy, she told everyone, family, friends, acquaintances, you name it. She miscarried at 3 months and some people didn’t know and they kept asking how she was doing and the baby on the way, though they didn’t know and meant no harm; it reopened her wounds and made her cry terribly. As a result, she didn’t share her other pregnancies until it was obvious. You can’t hide pregnancy. I know one who said it took a while until she put to bed and she passed her scheduled delivery date, and people kept asking when she was going to give birth; making her even more anxious and stressed. These people aren’t even Nigerians. It’s not even about witchcraft, being Nigerian or African, or whatever, some people just don’t like to share certain things and are private. Epistle but you get my point.

5. Josephine

July 13, 2017 at 8:53 am

Late term miscarriage is real and deeply painful. Its even worse when the ladies have to explain to people that they lost the baby. Heart-breaking. Its a bit easier if only a few people knew there was a pregnancy. Better not to count your chickens before they hatch especially in a high risk pregnancy or a lady who has experienced that pain before.

6. abby

July 13, 2017 at 9:38 am

I am of the view that you should just mind your business..if the pregnant person wants it private..then leave it be..its their choice..you can decide to do whatever about yours too..

• Enn

July 13, 2017 at 10:07 am

My sentiments exactly I don’t always agree with the average Naija woman on how far u carry the whole cautious thing but I believe we should always respect, u don’t know the experiences they’ve had or what instructions they’ve bn given, I think it’s kind of selfish when people take it personal and get offended cuz they were not told the due date etc. It’s their pregnancy.
      Although the lady in Bovi’s case could have bn a bit more discreet.

7. NewBae

July 13, 2017 at 10:41 am

He’s right and this is why I applaud Dolapo Oni for doing a pregnancy series vlog. We don’t really get to hear about the process and experience and it’ll be nice to know certain things when you get pregnant. Books and all only go so far. The ultimate thing is having a strong faith and prayer life that way you know your Maker has covered you and your baby. So if it’s due date or baby’s sex sef it’s fine. Although I’ve often wondered about people that aren’t close who ask about these things, is it out of curiosity or amebo?

8. ladun

July 13, 2017 at 11:12 am

Very few people knew i was pregnant and i was always indoors, except when i had to go for ante-natals. I even stopped going to the market. In my case i think it was the shame of getting pregnant outside wedlock and having the pregnancy rejected by the one who was responsible. I had a lot of spiritual attacks when pregnant but thank God my child and i are safe. I had 3 friends then who were always asking for my due date and i never told them ( whats your business pls ). There was an incident on the 31st of decemcer, went for the cross over service with my neighbour and the kids,my kid was jumping and was on the floor, she wanted to get up and that would have made her hit her head on the chair, there was a lady beside me who saw her, then placed her hand on her head( around her crown) , she saw the other side of me that night, the ushers had to take me out of the church cos i was really upset and shouting. You cant blame me for my actions, i know the battles i have faced and i believe the spiritual controls the physical. I have friends who tell me am paranoid and superstitious ,so be it.

9. Coco adebanjo

July 13, 2017 at 11:27 am

I think it’s a lie not all Nigerians hide their pregnancy and not all Americans expose their Pregnancy. Hiding your pregnancy is something that comes with experience. Many women all over the world have witnessed the shame of having a miscarriage right after receiving congratulatory messages from family and friends. Basically, keeping ones secret is a true symbol of one’s growth or wisdom, it has nothing to do with Nigerian culture. I live in America and many of my American friends who have suffered from a miscarriage wait till their 7 or more months before they tell the world about their pregnancy. But the first time mothers who have never felt the insurmountable pain and shame of losing a baby will throw all caution away when revealing their pregnancy because as far as they are concerned pregnancy equates to safe delivery. They forget that most times , many women all over the world die during their delivery even the affluent of society. I remember a news that popped up this year of a well known American lawyer’s daughter in-law who died during her c-section in the world renowned Cedars-Sinai hospital, you remember the hospital Beyoncé had blue-ivy or more recently, the hospital the famous singer, Ciara had her new born baby , Sienna, this past April. Imagine if this lawyer’s own daughter becomes pregnant tomorrow, she will be more adamant to hide her daughter’s pregnancy because she is now well aware that anything bad can go wrong during a woman’s pregnancy. So bolanle stop with this biased view, you are suppose to know that even Nigerians are now even over doing the baby shower event even more than Americans. Isnt Laura ikeji showing off her pregnancy? Didnt adaeze yobo show off her past pregnancy? I don’t remember Iyanya’s former girlfriend hiding her pregnancy, didn’t she not have a baby shower last month . Please , the women that keep their mouth shut are either ashamed of their pregnancy or hiding the truth that they got their man to marry them because they were pregnant. Or as I mentioned earlier some of them have had lots of miscarriages or have lost a baby during delivery. Wisen up Bolanle and Bovi please stop perpetuating the stereotype that Africans have a timid perspective on life.

10. Ajiun

July 13, 2017 at 11:59 am

SMH. I am the only one reading this right? The man didn’t say don’t be private. He is talking about Nigerians and superstitions. If you choose to keep your pregnancy private that’s OK. But being suspicious of village people is crazy. Because if this so called village people want to get your child, they can still do it after the child is born. Some will even know before you conceive and would have been plotting that you don’t conceive at all. If they are spiritual, then they might have spiritual abilities to see ahead of you. Only God can save you. Gosh.

Nigerians. Is this too hard to comprehend. Anyway, I am all for privacy. Not because of all the things listed above. But because I prefer that. People talking about miscarriage, women who lose their toddler also had to deal with people asking after that particular toddler.

Everyone should live life in accordance to their emotional strength. Some people can’t handle the questions, while some can. No matter how many times they are asked, even if it is painful, they will open up and might help others heal or become aware of situations to avoid or look out for, if there is any of such to share. So if you can’t handle it. It is OK to be private. This isn’t about privacy nor emotional strength. It is about Superstitions and Witchcraft. Which many Nigerians are so obsessed with. SMH.

11. Diamond

July 13, 2017 at 1:33 pm

I remember talking about this to a colleague weeks ago. Pls don’t blame pregnant women, blame our fetishism. Here in Nigeria, your enemies will waka for you not to marry ( In obodo onyibo, who has time to tie you not to marry?). When they hear your pregnancy due date, they will waka that day for you and sit on you, so you don’t deliver.
    Yes, the weapon of our war fare are not carnal, but wisdom is profitable to direct. Do not expose yourself to enemy!

• Diamond

July 13, 2017 at 1:41 pm

A woman told me how she was having a very difficult labor, and her brother in-law was calling her husband continuously to enquire if she’s delivered. She left her labor pains and grabbed her husband by the collar, that his family will not kill her alone, that they will both die together. This is a family that none of the wives have ever gotten pregnant, talk of having a baby

• Yellow sun

July 13, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Thank you..we like acting all exposed and tushed up
      There are spiritual warfares …abeg don’t tell me your village people will know even when you hide your pregnancy
      No..they don’t know because they are not God…wisdom is profitable to direct..the enemy only sees what you expose to them,and they get to you through that channel.. .
      The lord is our strength

12. Ndbc

July 16, 2017 at 5:26 am

The reason for keeping a pregnancy private is not only because you want to avoid village people and their spiritual missiles, but rather keeping some things private sometimes in one’s life is very important because the mindset of people (friends and foes) alone is enough to program or launch a disaster against your expectations, making you to encounter serious challenges along the way. Some people are immune to such situation by “GRACE” while others fall prey to it.
    So if you found yourself in a situation where everything works out smoothly for you then congratulations, but you don’t my sister/brother, keep it private. The bottom line to me is that we should embrace and accept every situation as the will of God.

Gracias !