Career

“I was working three shifts” – Lady graduates with First Class in Law against all odds

BellaNaija.com

Law Graduate finishes with First Class despite Odds

Opeyemi

Opeyemi Tiffany Ehimiaghe has, despite odds stacked against her, finished with a first class degree in Law from the University of Lancester, UK.

In an interview with Myscience, she discussed losing her mother, who was her only surviving parent, while in her final year.

She said:

It’s been one of the toughest years of my life. I lost my mum – my only surviving parent – my family had to come together to pay my final year school fees following the scarcity of foreign exchange and the recession in Nigeria. Also, I had to work to support my living expense and my other day-to-day cost.

I was working three shifts which was very inconvenient for my studies but I had no choice. However, I quit the jobs because I could not keep up with it.

My friends here at Lancaster helped me out financially following my mum’s demise and I really couldn’t have done it without their help.

I want to say a big thank you to all the people who have made a huge contribution to my life. I don’t know what I would have done without the help of as well as academics like Professor James Sweeney and Phil Lawton.

Opeyemi, who lost her father in 2007, after which her mother was diagnosed of brain tumor, herself has a heart condition.

“I have to be careful and live near a hospital in case something happens,” she said.

She also shared the news of her first class on Twitter, with a photo of herself in her graduation gown. She wrote: “Mum took ill, ran into financial difficulties, then I lost my mum. All in my final year..but I pulled through. This one for you my angel ❤.”

The tweet has since gone viral, with some social media users even offering her scholarships, she said. “Social media is indeed powerful, been getting messages about scholarship and what I’ll love to do in remembrance of my mum?.”

See the tweets below:

Photo Credit: Twitter – @tiffany-ehi

1. Hmm

July 19, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Congratulations to Opeyemi on your success, I celebrate you

2. hB

July 19, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Well done pretty. God continue to guide you.

3. MIMI

July 19, 2017 at 3:34 pm

CONGRATULATIONS OPEYEMI!!! God is indeed faithful and you will never LACK OR SUFFER. I thank God in advance for everything good that will COME YOUR WAY. Stay positive and ALWAYS remember that GOD will always watch over you. Untimely death will never be your portion and you will live till old age. XOX

4. The Real Oma

July 19, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Wow, well done girl!

5. rain

July 19, 2017 at 4:18 pm

you remind me of the menial jobs i had to do inbetween classes to secure my Masters degree in UK………….You will go on to better jobs and life especially now you have secured a first class degree in Law

6. vicious

July 19, 2017 at 5:32 pm

worked 3 shifts….unlike those girls that will wait for a man to buy them pant, buy them bra, buy them recharge card, Subscription, phone, make up, bag, cloth and everything

what a life

• John

July 20, 2017 at 4:55 am

No Nigerian girl will not do a 5 shift job provided it pays well… 9ja spirit strong wella

7. Damilola

July 19, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Congratulations Opeyemi. I am extremely proud of you and I’m sure you’ve made your mom and dad proud. I pray God will continue to see you through this life journey and meet you at the point of every need. Stay strong, this is just the beginning.

8. Victor Adegoke

July 19, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Congratulation Opeyemi on your success.

9. Ladonna

July 19, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Congrats girl,pls don’t judge Nigerian girls if I see where I can work 3 shifts in Nigeria,will be very happy am the hardworking type but after 2yrs of NYSC no job.

10. Lady d

July 19, 2017 at 8:57 pm

And u think that some Nigerian ladies can’t do three jobs? Miss critic direct them to where they can see those jobs.