Career

Lawyer Discloses why he took up Kidnap Kingpin Evans’ Case

BellaNaija.com

Lawyer Olukoya Ogungbeje

In a recent interview with The Sun, Barrister Olukoya Ogungbeje explained his decision to defend the kidnap kingpin Chukwudi Dumeme Onwuamadike popularly known as Evans.

Ogungbeje accused the media and the Nigerian public of being ignorant of the law saying that he is allowed to defend anyone as far as it is within the bounds of the law.

He mentioned that he had 2 weeks to consult journalists, senior lawyers and some other people before he finally decided to take up the case.

He then concluded by saying what people say in the court of public opinion doesn’t matter.

Read his response below:

No matter the bases of the complaints of the cause of your crime, no matter how unpopular is the cause of your crime, no matter how bad is the cause of your crime, the legal practitioner has a duty to take up the cause, if he’s properly briefed and provided that person represents his client within the bounds of law.

So, no matter the public opinion, I have the responsibility to take up the matter. We were properly briefed. So, our action is based on law. And we want to represent our client within the bounds of law, within the confines of law. So, if you for instance, you’re a journalist, if you brief me… you don’t want me to take up your cause, because people are saying negative things about you, or because people have condemned you and found you guilty before the media, that I should not take up your case?

Look, let me tell you right away. We were briefed two weeks ago. And I told them to give me two weeks to think, whether I would take up the brief or not. I did my consultations. We consulted even journalists, you can go and make enquiries. I consulted my people. I consulted senior lawyers. So, have I done what is wrong by taking the cause of my clients? Forget what people say in the court of public of opinion, he said.

1. Stephen

July 1, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Big up barrister
    Goodluck and Free Evans

2. Maddtunez

July 1, 2017 at 4:27 pm

The man is a hearth less criminal. Why would anyone take up his case in defense?

• Kyle

July 1, 2017 at 11:31 pm

You’re drunk

3. Kenandakyns

July 1, 2017 at 4:29 pm

This our country Nigerianis a Barbaric country where anything goes

4. Ephi

July 1, 2017 at 4:30 pm

The lawyer is free to take up the case, however Evans MUST FACE the consequences of his crime, media trial or not.

5. GANNY OGUNSHAKIN

July 1, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Thank you for choosing to represent the accused Mr. Chukwudi Dumeme Onwuamadike Barrister Olukoya Ogungbeje. I am not trying to teach you how to do your job here. This is just a suggestion from me. You need to move forward quickly by filling motions upon motion to get all the self incriminating statements your client made to the Police. (either statements signed on paper, or made on camera ) struck out by the Courts immediately. I believe your client made or has Signed certain documents prepared by the members of the Lagos State police Command in charge of his case. Those self incriminating statements was made or signed under duress. and in absent of a lawyer representing him. Please, advice your client to henceforth refrain from granting interviews to anybody including the Police without your presence. Should the Police refused to respect your clients rights under the Nigeria Constitution, That will amount to breaching of the law. The Courts will have to settle that when they crossed that line. Defending your client in Court is way more easier. The Nigeria Police Lagos State Command has overplayed their hands especially when they’ve turned the entire saga into a media circus. The Police has no more cards to play. The ball is in your court. Your client will certainly go to jail I want you to be prepared for that possibility. But you will have to negotiate with the Court on that. A word is enough for the wise. I’m just saying.

• Genevieve

July 1, 2017 at 6:00 pm

My dear, his. Client is not going to jail, he is going for death penalty for sure. There’s nothing to negotiate. Beside the Lagos governor has signed the bill for kidnapping in Lagos. Life imprisonment if no one was killed, or death penalty if lives were lost. I really wish the court will give him death penalty by firing squad like aneni the famous criminal. You have no idea what families of kidnapped victims go through. Evans is a terrorist, a devil and doesn’t deserve to live. Idiot.

6. John Doe

July 1, 2017 at 4:51 pm

All of you supporting Evans, I pray kidnappers get hold of you or your family members. So you can feel the same pain his victims felt. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.

• www.thelmathinks.com

July 1, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Amen.

• Amaka

July 1, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Amen. I also pray that the kidnappers kidnap all their children and family members, place them in chains at the den and demand 1million dollars from them, giving them indomie Money rules some people. They do not care who dies.

7. wasted years of sch

July 1, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Mr lawyer why not go defend those prisoners who were wrongfully convicted.

8. Mrs chidukane

July 1, 2017 at 9:07 pm

He’s just doing his job. It’s the Nigerian police messing up as usual. Instead of them to charge him to court, they were busy parading him up and down. I’m sure they’ve not even made any move towards collecting evidence and building their case. Tomorrow the judiciary will be blamed for their unprofessionalism. This is what the efcc does as well. All talk, when it comes to prosecution, they fall flat. They will never employ smart lawyers, only those that know someone that know someone. Whenever I meet them in court, I am always appalled. They hardly impress. 2 years prosecution hasn’t closed its case . Mad people.

9. Mummybobo

July 1, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Police are doing their interrogations on Evans and they have court order to keep him for 90days pls allow the police do their job but my advice is that they should keep it off social media. Mr. Lawyer so this is how you think you can shine abi? Telling Evans wife to come and cry with her kids and telling Evans dad all sort of things to say abi? I know it’s your handiwork….., anyhow sha he is entitle to a lawyer but Mr.lawyer don’t make it look as if you are in support of his deeds. God bless Nigerians

10. Kyle

July 1, 2017 at 11:37 pm

People keep accusing Evans of crimes against humanity, did he ever kidnapped olokada, bread sellers, or market women? He kidnapped stupid Nigerian that can’t afford to help fellow Nigerian with N5m but ending up paying $1m as Ransom, God is using Evans to torment our heartless fellow as God used nebcadnezzer to dealt with Jerusalem coz of idolatry, I see no crime in Evans

11. Mz_Danielz

July 2, 2017 at 7:08 am

Why are you explaining. He has the rights to a lawyer.

The only thing though is that people will hate you and may transfer it to your kids. If you’re okay with that, it’s fine

12. kayla

July 2, 2017 at 9:50 am

Amen. all those supporting Evans get ready to have such experience. rubbish

13. No Headaches Please

July 2, 2017 at 12:37 pm

If you did not care about the ‘court of public opinion’ (whatever that means) then why were you so busy consulting people?

You consulted even journalists?

2 weeks?